YAHOO is no more, BING / Microsoft are now in 2nd place behind Google

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Peter Brown profile image65
    Peter Brownposted 14 years ago

Did you hear the news? It's everywhere.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ … 826397.htm

Yahoo and Microsoft agreed to a 10 year deal where Yahoo backs away from focusing on its search engine so that Bing can move foward.

All I can say is WOW...

What impact will this have on SEO? Internet marketing? Hubpages?

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bing sucks. I honestly don't know why people even use it.

I am surprised that Yahoo would agree to a deal like that. I wonder what kind of deal they got so that they would do that.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Just shows they all sleep together in the end.

Crazy world lol crazy greedy world

3. Peter Brown profile image65

Do you think it's a good idea for them to join forces? I mean, who's going to take down the big "G", right?

4. MontyApollo profile image59
    MontyApolloposted 14 years ago

The story I read said that Yahoo's index will go away and be replaced by Bing. I'm still very new, but I get a little bit of traffic from Yahoo while I don't think I am even in the index at all at Bing. So from that perspective...

1. getpaidtopost profile image41
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what will happen to http://www.altavista.com/ who is owned by yahoo?

5. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 14 years ago

...and Google wins the race...

1. getpaidtopost profile image41
      getpaidtopostposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No I think Google will be had off. The majority of searches on google are from webmasters trying to beat google. Bing is becoming more and more popular every day. webmaster will start to look at bing and how to get top spots. this is tern will make bing more popular than google. IMO

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah but they all have their fingers in more than one pie.

We only know what some press release tells us.

Truth be known ,they have shares in one anothers company and guess who keeps them on top=us, internet traffic, you n me.

6. soni2006 profile image76
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

I am in the index of bing. I think that's good for me.

7. Peter Brown profile image65

I've had very limited traffic from bing, but solid traffic from yahoo. Boy this really changes things...

Either way, I'm in $1k in stocks for both YHOO and MSFT. We'll see who exits victoriously!

8. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I have had traffic from bing..real minor tongue n Y! has paid more tho hmm There was a article about Bing vs G and spammy stuff vs quality which makes me worry too.

9. Silver Rose profile image67
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

About 11% of my traffic comes from Bing (15% from Yahoo), but the Bing traffic is focused on a few hubs, whereas Yahoo's traffic is more widely distributed.

My understanding from the Businessweek article was that the Yahoo search engine would remain, it's just that they will be serving up Microsoft ads (or have I misinterpreted it?). That means that the people it impacts most are those publishers using Yahoo advertising - I assume they'll have to go elsewhere.

10. Peter Brown profile image65

Sorry to post just one article from business weekly. There are a ton of articles and blogs being tossed out right now about the topic. (Might be a good hub topic for those who like to capitalize on the tidal wave of 'popularity-driven' traffic.)

Ironically, although not surprisingly, the topic of the merge is on google's top trends today:

http://google.com/trends/hottrends?q=mi … 9&sa=X

Check it out if you wanted to read different articles. Or you could visit the website that was set up to discuss the merge:

http://www.choicevalueinnovation.com/th … fault.aspx

11. MarnieW profile image37
    MarnieWposted 14 years ago

They've also discussed advertising. I think that's a biggy. Competition for Adsense could be a good thing.

12. Silver Rose profile image67

Peter Brown - I'd done a hub about Bing when it was first launched. I was wondering why there was a surge of traffic to it in the last couple of days. Now I know!

Peter Brownposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha oh yes. (And please, feel free to call me Pete)

I've done a fair share of hubs based on google trends and they do get a nice surge initially and then when the topic comes up again. They just don't last long after that, in my opinion.

@MarnieW- Personally, I'm surprised no one is talking about the advertising split that went down with the deal. If Microsoft is getting all the data on people's search patterns/trends/etc, how will Yahoo be able to put up relevant advertisements? That's what has me puzzled...

Although all this is fresh, to me the whole thing seems like a killer deal for Microsoft and a crappy deal for Yahoo.

13. Silver Rose profile image67

I don't think Yahoo will be serving up ads at all, they'll be Microsoft ads and Yahoo will just be the publisher. A bit like the way Ask publishes Google Ads.

Peter Brownposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Really? So then how does that work? I'm at a loss.

1. Silver Rose profile image67
        Silver Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The advertising clearly uses separate code from the search results, (though both running off keywords). So Yahoo's search engine will be unchanged, it's just the advertising they run alongside it will be Microsoft's. In a similar way, ASK's search engine operates differently to Google's, but the advertising displayed is served up by Google in much the way Google serves up advertising to hubpages (ASK are Google's biggest partner publisher).

14. MontyApollo profile image59
    MontyApolloposted 14 years ago

Here is a link to an AP news story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_microsoft_yahoo

These are just reporters words, nothing official, but it says:

"Taking over the search responsibilities on Yahoo's highly trafficked site gives Microsoft a better chance to convert Web surfers who had been using Google by force of habit."

15. Peter Brown profile image65

Right now it looks like both stocks are just flirting around their starting numbers, although Yahoo took a bigger hit to their stock prices than did Microsoft.

I still think it's a solid investment. Once the dust settles, their stock prices should go up.

I'm really curious to see how this impacts internet traffic, including hub traffic of course.

16. Snowfire profile image58
    Snowfireposted 14 years ago

Well, Yahoo did a great blunder taking up this deal.
    Chk the article

http://hubpages.com/hub/Yahoo-Binged-wi … gle-Google

Its funny and informative.

17. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I don't know...when it comes to my business, my personal blogs and my hubpages, Google is the one that I care about. When MicroBing starts to infringe on those numbers, I'll start to care about it then too. Guess I'm just fickle. smile

18. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Okay, okay, just one more thought. Do you realize just how much $$$ they spent coming up with "Bing"? Gazillions! I've been in brand marketing for some time, and those naming gigs are quite lucrative. They were looking for a name that was one, maybe two syllables max to make it easier for folks to change "Did you Google it?" to "Did you Bing it?"

19. Watch Tower profile image61
    Watch Towerposted 14 years ago

OK I will be the first to admit, I  am not a total tech-no wiz. So in this regard I am a laymen, and in La-mens terms all I see is Microsoft,regaining it's monopoly on the web. Live and My Live spaces didn't quite work out how they wanted it to ( IMO ), but control the search engines, and you by default control the web and who gets the big bucks. As so many use  search engines to learn and or find out about a particular topic. So now Goggle is the only on line computation for Microsoft. Divide and Conquer. the Old tricks are the best tricks.
    So for example you want to get some information. All you have to do is make your serch engine have in the top listings defualt that info found on live spaces. then by defualt that becomes the top of the list. Yes I relise serch engines do not work in this manner excatly, but a bit of 'simple' codeing  so as not to make it obvouis and ha presto My Live spaces ( for example) becomes one of the top rated online tools.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Huh?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that

I feel as though Goggle have given me the flick and Im on some dirt road ,with no traffic ,zilch ,nada...page views way down , NO clicks , no earnings... hmmm...

20. Michael Willis profile image66
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

Almost half my traffic has come from Yahoo search. I have a high ranking on several topics. In Bing, I am not ranked as high, but still on 1st or 2nd page. Guess my traffic will be hurt by this.
    I have never really liked Bing anyways. I prefer Yahoo.

21. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

I'm getting more views from yahoo and bing....for now hmm

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yahoo has always been a good one for me. I have noticed Bing is getting me a lot of traffic. Google has always been my top one and probably always will be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)