Multiple accounts and alter egos

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

While some here have multiple accounts for business reasons, others may take advantage of this privilege in forums.  Most of the time it's for fun but some may use the accounts to back up their own arguments in the political or religious threads.  I personally do not like this and wonder how other feel.  I suppose one could use these accounts to rate others hubs down or attempt to quell opinions they disagree with.  Fair to us or not?

1. profile image0
      James Agbogunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Quite a Revelation!

2. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you cannot man up and say what you gotta say In a contreversial forum at a keyboard . How do you ever stand up for yourself In real life ? Alter egos do not bug me at all . I stick with one account because It Is hard enough for me to write a good hub as just me ! Much less try to make good hubs for multiple accounts

3. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do believe that multiple accounts are allowed (for the purpose of publishing hubs) but sock puppetry in the forum is frowned upon.

Used sparingly and not to attack people, it can be funny to see (I speak not of here, but at other forums), but there are people who are being complete idiots doing it in the way that you've described.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Doesn't bother me one bit. I think it's fine and often fun.
    All's fair in love and Hub Pages!

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you, it doesn't bother me at all nor does it affect how I use HP.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then I assume you care not for serious discussions, am I correct in this assumption?

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Some people (and their alter egos) are fun; others are just sort of nasty...and clearly trolls.  Some actually stimulate interesting and serious discussion (these are rare).

If you are talking about 'God,' in the Religion Forum, I think he's over the top annoying.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60

As I previously stated, some are just for fun and I have no problem with this.  I too enjoy some of the multipersonalities who do this for their own (and our) enjoyment but in the serious forums they may back up their own arguments as proof for their reasoning. 

Yes Lita, a faker pretending to be God is not amusing to me nor to any others that I am aware of.  Except, perhaps one other poster which could well be the same person as the Eel.

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is another poster who's the same as ElElyion. He's giving himself away each time he isn't quoting the bible. I suppose you know who he is.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60

Yes Tantrum, I'm pretty sure I know the eel's identity.  His spelling and grammar is similar to another who posts on the religious forums.  Pretty desperate in my opinion.  Rather sad also.  He can never be taken seriously again, if he ever was.

And he'snot  quietness and trust. That's 2 obvious. 2 of them have e-mailed me  and they're not the same person. The other 1 became my fan. I think everybody is looking in the wrong direction, but that's o.k. with me. Funny!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cant say Ive taken enough interest in them...and funny...well I spose whatever floats ya boat lol

2. candice5 profile image58
            candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cmon its usmanali, otherwise known as Squidward Sponge.soaking up his q'ran.

1. earnestshub profile image80
              earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll go with that, same type of megalomania. smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

quietnessandtrust had the run of the roost last week, same guy huh...nuts or same doctor lol

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eel is either quietnessandtrust, or that (and most likely) actual pastor or whatever he was that started the 'atheists are stupid,' thread.  Same voice, same knowledge...or what passes for it, I guess.

And I agree.  That's truly a joke, though, about 'reason'...and one wonders just a bit about their sanity (about 'Gods' sanity, one wonder A LOT).

5. Randy Godwin profile image60

I suspect a fairly "low key" individual rather than the other god wannabes.  Still a scripture quoter though.

I will give u only this tip: he's 1 of the good old hubbers, who has more than 3 accounts. Look at the way he writes and all the smilies. If you happen to guess ,don't give him away. I think it's very funny!

1. profile image0

No way!

I think the pastor person picked it up (the smileys, etc.) off him...

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

I don't know if I think it's very funny, but it's his decision so I won't tell.

1. profile image0

It's sort of...'funny,'....I guess.  But then I'd worry about his sanity, too.  It goes a bit too far.

2. tantrum profile image60

cool

6. jiberish profile image81
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

I've stayed out of most relegious forums, after someone I disagreed with rated all my hubs down.  Whatever! It's the same in some political forums, it tends to get out of hand.  Rare to see a good discussion.

Always wondered how you know someone rates you down (or up)?

1. jiberish profile image81
        jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They were dumb enough to leave a comment.

lol grrr...not very grown up

1. yoshi97 profile image56
            yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So ... because someone can't slap somebody else in a forum they rate them down? That's cold ... What's the age limit on Hubpages?

18,but seriously people lie and sometimes a 40 yr old can be immature.

7. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

If god commented on anyone's hub, you could check his IP and match it against others.

What if he used different computers?

Provided they were in the same house, the IP would be the same as the outside IP is determined from the connection point (cable modem or DSL modem). With dial-up it gets a bit more difficult, but not many stay online long if they are using dial-up (as a rule).

ok sorry was thinkin like PC at work..

Ah ... that is possible too ... hmmm ...

Whoever it is, they appear set that they must be believed. In my recent thread I have tried to reason with him to lower his volume a bit and to allow others to be heard, but to no avail. It's a shame the beliefs of others can't be heard, all because one who claims to be god considers his more important than the rest.

I blame Saturday morning cartoons. smile

and excess happy pills lol

2. profile image0

However, it is possible to post an inaccurate ip address if you are tech savvy enough...

8. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Whats even funnier is another alter ego informing us of another alter ego...lol c'mon now that is funny

Ask Bad C 99 lol

9. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

I say a post by elelyone saying that he has many accounts, and that he has posted a total of 700 threads in a couple of weeks.

Also that he has over 30 hubs on another account.

Who cares really. It's just annoying when you are in a thread, and all these alter egos argue with each other, pasting in slabs of copied text, and repeating the same stuff over and over in different threads.

Real amateur hour trolling and spamming stuff.

I'm amazed at how many people continually rise to the bait.

@yoshi:
    It's easy to change IP addresses with proxy services, but would be a pain to do between posts. But different identities posting with the same IP address would certainly be a giveaway.

Yea is that because they lack confidence or low self esteem or something?

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree Eric.  Childish and tedious.  Especially when you have two alter egos of the same person,arguing with each other.  What kind of juvenile ego trip is that?

10. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Did I scare them all away ,or have they gone to change...dodododo...lol

11. yoshi97 profile image56

I was shocked as well! smile

12. Randy Godwin profile image60

I have considered opening another account for hubs of a particular nature but would never post in the forums under another name.  I stand behind my opinions and they are mine right or wrong.  Using an alias in a serious discussion could have adverse effects on those with less than capable understanding of the issues, it seems to me.

I agree ... Besides, what a slap in the face it would be if you had one id with a hubscore of 100 and another with a hubscore of 0.

That would make you bipolar, right? smile

almost put in a laughing face ahem

At the end of the day  Hubpages is what  it is...

Its not going to change to suit hundreds of members wishes ,so looks like the best option is you ,me ,we change smile

oh im going to anyway lol

13. Randy Godwin profile image60

I have to say I was pleased that not very many believers backed up the eel in his posts on the religious threads.  On the other hand, not very many believers took umbrage at them.

14. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

there will come a time, if it isn't already being considered, when hp will have to make adjustments to its forums, to its hub scores, to the author scores, and to the prevailing personality contest (rating scores up and down is a joke, as is the fact that many hubbers with 90 plus scores would get a big fat F in a middle school grammar class).   that's if hp wants to continue being the shining star.  there will always be a new kid on the block. 

it's great to have all the various discussions, but scores should not be affected by forum comments, as is being implied in this forum, and as anyone who has made a so-called controversial comment or post will attest.

that's if the scores are to have any validity. 

see you all in the a.m. in the 70's.

Well said smile nite

2. profile image0

Well, yes.  Agreed.  Good writing is absolutely not about how much of it has been portrayed here...  But that is OK, because I figure most are taking what they want from hp, anyway.  There ARE some fantastic writers on here.  Some I don't think realize how good they truly are.  There have also been some very stimulating discussions in the forums that have added, definitely, to my thinking.  Some of the people, though I have not 'met' them, are among some of the most interesting I've encountered anywhere.

The rest...well, especially recently...I am trying to avoid and forget.

BTW, were you (this is weird, I realize) in Oak Creek, Sedona around Thanksgiving time, taking photographs with a very nice camera on a tripod?  lol!  But...I swear!  smile

1. blue dog profile image61
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hey lita,
        it's not weird, actually, it's rather wild.  that's a lot of question.  yes, i've been in oak creek - pretty place - around thanksgiving, with a really sweet camera on a tripod.  however, it wasn't thanksgiving '08.  it was several years ago.   it's just my luck, huh?

1. profile image0

Wow...  Well, you look a lot like a man who was trying to take some photographs while we were there--I was with my bf and his two boys...just walking along the woods/creek.  Maybe it was two years ago (?)  Time runs together!  We were afraid we were disturbing you...lol!  I mean the photographer who looked like you, smile.

Oak Creek is my favorite area here.  Just beautiful.  I hear the TX hill country is beautiful, too.  Matt (the bf) is from TX.

1. blue dog profile image61
            blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the hill country is nice.  with the exception of the big bend, it's probably the prettiest part of the state, especially in spring time.  however, we're still sucked in to this two years plus drought that's got things looking rather crappy. 

generally, people don't disturb me when i'm working the cameras.  they tend to draw attention to themselves (the cameras), it comes with the territory.  there are times when i might not immediately respond to someone, especially if there's a moment worthy of capture, but for the most part ... the good thing is most of the photography is done very early or very late - most people aren't out in nature before sunrise.  sunsets in popular places can be tricky.

3. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Validity for what?
      The current setup would appear to be all about numbers, not any sort of quality. How else could Mark Knowles get a score of 100? lol lol
      Many of the better writers from hub pages have disappeared and gone elsewhere over the last couple of months, partly because they are sick of the crap that goes on in the forums.

15. yoshi97 profile image56

Bringing back a favorite from a similar thread ...

What if you have disassociative identity disorder and all of these posts are actually made by your own alter egos ... meaning you are actually the only one here on Hubpages in the forums.

s.c.a.r.y!

16. yoshi97 profile image56

*Some of the people, though I have not 'met' them, are among some of the most interesting I've encountered anywhere. *

My hope is that I'm a member of this group. smile

17. Randy Godwin profile image60

Thanks to everyone for their input on this topic.  It is late here in the swamps of Georgia and another long, hot day awaits me.

See y'all.

Sleep well, Randy. smile

18. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I don't have a problem with those who have multiple accounts but if they use all of those accounts to bad mouth what I've written or anything like that then I do get annoyed and mad.

19. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Funnily enough I created a new account yesterday. Purely for the purpose of writing about Dragons and other froggy rubbish.

If ever I do post in here under my 2nd account, it will likely be accidental so please remind me to bugger off. And the other 'me' will be incredibly easy to spot because I'm not hiding. Same clothes and all that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)