PETA: New Ad Campaign Targets Overweight Woman - What?!?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (45 posts)
  1. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

EDIT: Sorry for the typo in the title lol...can't change that and I just noticed it. Very annoying. wink

I was watching some news clips tonight and was really shocked to see this:

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.h … xnews.com/

I think almost everyone can agree that PETA always runs really controversial campaigns to get people's attention.

Have you seen their new ad, though?!? I think it is so offensive. I'm glad there are no billboards like that around here. You get enough courage to put on a bikini, head to the beach and what do you see? A chubby woman falling out of her bikini on a huge billboard. That's gotta make you feel good.

I think the term "cruelty free" should also apply to humans, PETA!

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/99171/thumbs/s-SAVE-THE-WHALES-large.jpg

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Wow.  Fox News.  I wonder what that's about.  I really do.

If you haven't been to the sand and boulder strewn hills of Desert Rat, AZ, you really haven't seen 'chubby' people.  All I'm gonna say.  Muffin top is very popular.

Culture wars become more boring as 1), you get a little older, and 2) spend more time on this forum.

Sorry, GG, but that's my take, and I'm sticking to it, wink.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fox news commentator was saying that PETA was offending people with the ad.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, wink.  And they do it with such one-sided style, usually, too.  Eeech, controversy sells.  And I'm cynical.

3. profile image0

I don't understand what Fox News has to do with this?

If you'd prefer, I have a nice little link right here to the Huffington Post. Obviously, it is of concern to some people, even readers of the Huffington Post. big_smile

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/1 … 61134.html

1. profile image0

Nah!  I'd prefer Andrew Sullivan do an in depth analysis of it on his blog in The Atlantic.  OR!  To read some meta dialoguey thingy on media somewhere in some academic journal tome.

I've been hanging out here toooooo long, wink.  >Sorry< smile

1. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...................  roll

1. profile image0

Sorry, you have to understand what those things are to get the brilliant, brilliant humor and sarcasm behind it.  !  (Ok, and THAT was sarcasm.)

Just keep saying "there's no place like home, there's no place like home,"  and I'm sure after all your travels, you'll be returned.  wink  Wonder what's wrong with that place, anyway?

roll

roll

1. profile image0

There is no place like home!  wink

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Not only does it offend me, it isn't even good advertising! The message doesn't compute. Fat people don't eat WHALES, for goodness sakes! And most people don't become obese by eating too much chicken or even steak. They eat fried VEGETABLES (like potatoes), processed snack foods, high fructose corn syrup drinks.

I wish the wack jobs at PETA would stick to defending animal rights. This foray into human health issues as tying into their animal rights agenda just doesn't work for them. Whoever their ad agency is should be put up for review -- pronto.

1. profile image0

PETA has always been mega controversial.  I sometimes wonder if that's their whole purpose.

Activists in Iowa City, IA broke into a psychology lab on campus (Uiowa) when I was going to school there, to "save" all the test animals.  They also destroyed 1/2 of the lab.

2. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said. PETA has the ability to do so much for animals, but it sometimes appears that all they want to do is spend money and time on ridiculous, controversial advertising. While I understand the killing and eating of animals goes against their beliefs, I think they'd accomplish a lot more if they stuck to helping out living animals that aren't going to be eaten; the ones being abused, the ones living in shelters.

Not every one wants to or can be a vegetarian. Yes, being a vegetarian can be very healthy, but for someone like me who is anemic, I really do need to eat red meat AND green leafy veggies to get my iron. Sorry, PETA! big_smile

I used to run a volunteer club when I was younger. We'd all do odd jobs around the neighborhood and the money was always donated to our local humane society. I remember seeing a PETA flier at school (bright, flashy, vibrant - much more glamorous then my local shelter) and my mom wisely said: "no way, give the money to the humane society, it'll be better used."

That being said, I'm glad I never gave to PETA. smile

In a way, I see how their advertising can attract some kids (I was a vegetarian for a while, but those darn beanie babies were included in Happy Meals at McDonalds and I succumbed to temptation. wink

This advertising will attract no one.

5. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

It has nothing to do with what network ran the story. The billboard I believe was in Jacksonville, not too far from me. Yes, it is proven that vegetarians are 20-30% leaner than meat eaters. If PETA wanted to convince people to become vegetarian for health and weight reasons they could have chosen a more effective campaign. Relating someone who is overweight to a "whale"... eh probably not that best way. It doesn't offend me, however, I understand how it could offend some.

EDIT: MM what the message is saying is "Save the Whales" meaning save overweight people, by convincing them to become vegetarian to be healthier.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

MM Rant Part II:

So the headline reads SAVE the WHALES. Basically, their directive is to preserve the fat people (the whales). To actually have the body copy pay off the headline, it would have to be changed to read something like: "Keep eating all the animals you want."
    Or they could change the headline to "DON'T save the whales" so it makes sense with the copy at the bottom.

Stupid PETA. If I ever had an inkling of becoming vegetarian, this campaign has officially disavowed me of the notion!!!

1. Colebabie profile image61
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No no no, save as in "save them from being unhealthy". Not save as in "stay that way". Thats why the billboard also says "Lose the blubber". So basically the point is, "Hey fat people save yourselves, become vegetarian, and lose weight so you can have a bikini body"

7. Colebabie profile image61

This is from the PETA website:
    For most of us, summer is fading fast, but for residents of Jacksonville, Florida, bikini season lasts all year. What does the Sunshine State's endless summer mean for PETA? Our phone lines ring off the hook with reports of "beached whale sightings." Good one, guys.
    Luckily, we know the secret to getting—and maintaining—a killer beach bod. Did you know that vegetarians are 20 to 30 percent leaner than meat-eaters? So, to help residents and tourists "lose the blubber"—and hopefully to deter prank callers—we're launching a brand-new billboard urging people to go vegetarian:

Best marketing strategy ever? Maybe not, although we are talking about it aren't we? Will I still support them? Yes. Its one dumb billboard that Jax will probably ask to take down.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

Colebabie: Oh, so NOW I get it. SAVE the Whales = save the fat people from themselves! And how is this the responsibility of a fringe organization dedicated to animal rights?

It is a campaign to increase the number of vegetarians. That is the relation. Not even campaign really, it is my understanding that it is one billboard near Jax beach.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

I still think it's a piss poor piece of marketing.
    However, if I start reading reactions from the folks that bring us The Biggest Loser and they feel it's effective, I will eat my words. Luckily, my words are made of broccoli so it's all good:-). MM

10. Colebabie profile image61

PETA has different areas that it focuses on.  They focus on factories, laboratories, and clothing markets. While also working on passing legislation. Do they do some controversial things? Yes, but most are effective. I think they have some great programs and do a lot of good.

11. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

Vegetarians can be fat, also.  I know quite a few large people who don't eat meat.  I don't think this ad makes any sense other than being inflammatory.  It is ridiculous and cruel.  What about cruelty to people?

12. profile image0

Could you imagine a billboard for Hydroxycut or some other fad diet/supplement at the beach with the same image?

"Don't Be A Whale - Use our Diet Product!"

I don't think any business wanting to attract clients or buyers would resort to this. They know it wouldn't work.

Totally crazy.

13. tksensei profile image59
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

1) PETA's a bunch of nuts.

2) Fat people aren't going to lose weight because a bunch of PETA nuts shamed them into it.

3) Whale is tasty.

1. profile image0

Isn't it really oily? I don't think I could try it. wink I had a friend who visited Alaska two summers ago and he bought some whale meat from a local in a little village. If you knew him, this story would be hysterical because he simply has lived a very privileged (some may say elitist wink life) and he is constantly shocked to find out how things work in the "real world."

Anyways, he ordered some whale meat to be shipped to his mother's house and it never arrived. He called the guy back and had him ship it in dry ice to his hotel. I will NEVER forget standing in the lobby with the concierge (with a VERY wrinkled nose) saying "Mr. ____, you have a package waiting." The whale meat had apparently ROTTED. The entire lobby could smell it.

I am in hysterics right now. It was so funny; the look on his face was priceless. When I asked why on earth he'd ship it to a hotel, he said that his plan was for me to cook it at the hotel so he could try it. I was like "do you really think I know how to cook whale meat?!?!"

ahahaha thanks for reminding me of this.

It's a strong flavor and pretty fatty, but good.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did FoxNews tell you this? lol

Actually during my poverty days I did eat whales, cause they were like three times cheaper then cows, and the taste was disgusting...

I've enjoyed it the few times I've had it.

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tastes differ, aren't they? smile

14. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Controversy draws attention.  That is some organizations' mode of doing business...  Obviously, if it has made both sides' mouthpieces, it has actually been a successful campaign (to their probable way of thinking).

Creating buzz was probably the purpose.  They do have people talking, here, don't they?

15. Moonchild60 profile image74
    Moonchild60posted 14 years ago

You have to be completely insensitive or someone who has never been overweight not to be sickened by such crap as that billboard.  I too know overweight vegetarians.  And I also know thin people who DO eat meat, so this is just another poke at overweight people since they are the only ones left you're allowed to poke without a lawsuit...or are they?  I say maybe there is a group out there that haul PETA's arrogant, ignorant butts to court for this one. I find that alot of people very into saving animals tend to suck when it comes to their relationships with people, why is that??

16. Mighty Mom profile image77

What are the most effective motivators in life? There are carrots and there are sticks. Fear, shame, guilt are all negative motivators. This ad uses negativity in a not very subtle way. When it comes to trying to convert someone's eating habits with the "promise" (positive motivator) of getting a bikini body, they would do much better to show the "after" than the "before."

Portraying vegetarianism as cool and hip (IMHO as a sometimes marketing professional) would be much more effective. This is just mean-spirited.

It misses the mark. But what would you expect from PETA? They are People for the Ethical Treatment of ANIMALS. They don't care about people. That's pretty obvious by some of their incendiary tactics.

1. profile image0

They are in the mode of Gawker...

I actually haven't thought much of Moveon.org, either, to be honest.  Same kind of tactics (though perhaps it was a local thing).

1. profile image0

Another agreement on this thread! big_smile

17. Mighty Mom profile image77

Amazingly, we seem to have CONSENSUS on this, INCLUDING tksensei! Better quit while we're ahead!

I agree that the billboard is offensive.

But I still support PETA and a lot of the work that they do. smile

18. Davinagirl3 profile image60
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I don't think I will let this go.  I am going to write a letter to PETA, for all the good it will do. But first, I am going to have a steak.

1. profile image0

mmmmm steak. big_smile

19. Mighty Mom profile image77

Isn't this billboard also denigrating to whales? I'm telling Shamu and he's gonna be really, really angry. Whales can't help their size -- they've got slow metabolisms and fat whale genes.

That's just an excuse! They should take up swimming or something to slim down.

20. ahmu profile image61
    ahmuposted 14 years ago

I have never appreciated any type of advertising that makes people feel bad about who they are.  Of course it is good strive for a healthy lifestyle, but shaming people into this never really works. 

I happen to be semi-vegetarian by choice, but many people would not enjoy eating this way unless it was something they grew up doing, or wanted to really do.  Just as I did not appreciate meat eaters taunting me for not enjoying In and Out, I do not think people should be shamed into being vegetarian.  Also, it is one thing to be a vegetarian, and to be a well informed and healthy vegetarian.  One could eat meat and be very healthy, and being vegetarian actually takes more work and preparation to do it right.

1. profile image0

I absolutely hate it when meat eaters taunt vegetarians. They don't get it. Growing up, my father was a vegetarian and I remember putting some meat into one of his sandwiches one day. I giggled as he bit into it and when he asked "what's so funny?", I told him there was some "chicken in there". I watched his face go green and he ran for the bathroom. I didn't understand what I was doing when I did it, but I quickly learned a lesson; some people just can't physically stand the idea of eating meat.

21. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

The ad served its purpose, the 20 or so comments on this thread prove it.

Raise awareness - use controversy to stem discussion

Calling fat people whales isnt some new dastardly act, fat people are the butts of many jokes. I usually laugh

Yes, a vegetarian diet is very likely to cause weight loss and increase lean muscle mass.

Who cares if an organization isnt nice to humans - there are plenty of human rights organizations, PETA's goals are towards animal welfare

If you want to complain about "guilt" - than focus on the make-up,beauty, fashion and nutrition industries, they use more subtle and pervasive tactics everyday.

I would openly laugh at that billboard with no shame

In your honor, I'm going to grill up a steak while wearing a leather jacket at first light. Later I'll grab a veal cutlet sub while I'm out.

22. Plants and Oils profile image70
    Plants and Oilsposted 14 years ago

I am with PETA in that fat women shouldn't wear bikinis.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)