The Secret...Does it work?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Bredavies profile image62
    Bredaviesposted 14 years ago

I am pretty sure this goes under this forum..But I need to know what people think? I have been reading it and I wrote a hub on how it worked a bit. But I can't get my thoughts to fully turn around..I am scared it won't work and my depression is getting worse. I want to know if this works for anyone?

1. yoshi97 profile image56
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doh! I totally breezed over the word 'reading' which shoulda clued me on .

I ... am ... so ... dumb

I'm off to flog myself. smile

1. Shaul Stein profile image61
        Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

can i help???  lol

1. yoshi97 profile image56
          yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eeek! A sadist!

Alas, we regress ...

I'll try to read this hub this weekend as my curiosity is piqued. smile

2. Bredavies profile image62
        Bredaviesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ahaha! smile its a good book. I just can't figure it out

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I read it and it takes time.  Mostly all you need to do is keep thinking positive and positive will happen.

So it did work for you??

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am still working on it. wink

3. Helen Cater profile image61
      Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

is this a similar thing to the universe theory.If you ask the universe what you want it will give it to you. It has not worked for me but maybe that is because I did not ask strongly enough?

I guess if you have doubt...Then it doesn't work

4. chukra G profile image59
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

its work, and due to karma you can't i guess, try hard. you got sweet smile smile

1. Lizzie Montgomery profile image61
        Lizzie Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HI - I read The Depression Book: Depression as an Opportunity for Spiritual ... By Cheri Huber-Zen Teacher, Writer, Speaker

I thought it helped when i was so low i thought I would never get back up.  Good Luck and take care x

5. chukra G profile image59
      chukra Gposted 14 years agoin reply to this

its work, and due to karma you can't i guess, try hard. you got sweet smile smile

2. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

The secret must work very well, as after reading this I have no idea what the secret is. smile

smile It is a book that says Whatever you think you will attract." Its the law of attraction in simple form. Go to youtube and type in "The Secret"

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The secret is you're a dude, right? smile

yes. you got it! ahahaa!

2. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds like an old Jedi mind trick:) Just kidding

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Well, I think you should at least put a book link to Amazon on your hub.  Who knows, you might attract some $$, wink.  lol

oh..thank you. I didnt think of that.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, really....do it.  I've made many Amazon sales, though I didn't realize it (only recently checked) and without actually trying much.  If you try for something, wink, imagine what could happen....

smile  Law of intent.

But how do I get it on their and get paid?

1. profile image0

Put down an Amazon capsule, and put in key words to make the book appear.  If people come by and read your hub, they are likely to click on the link.  Of course, you need to set up your Amazon affiliate codes.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The secret is just about how to develop a hyped self image based on an inflated self worth sold to you by the salesmen of the world like Napoleon Hill. old stuff recycled and some mis observations about "the laws of attraction," which is nowhere near as mysterious as it sounds and not at all like gravity .. just my view.. smile

1. profile image0

OH!  Well, yes, and you have a point..

However, that being said, I don't have a problem with this sort of self help stuff if it actually helps someone.  You'd be surprised at how many people actually don't get this (yeah, not that mysterious) thing.

I read 'The 7 Laws of Spiritual Success,' Deepak Chopra a while back, plus before Napolean Hill there was an 18th century author...forget the name, who basically said our thoughts create us.

2. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It actually goes back much further back than Hill, Wallace D. Wattles was one of the original attraction thinkers and he was born in 1860 and died around 1910. He kept comparing the law of attraction to electricity. Because that was the new science of the day. Today the Secret types use physics to describe the law of attraction.

So there are many different thoughts about the secret and where it came from. But has anyone tried to use it?

2. arthriticknee profile image67
        arthritickneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

These types of programs all use different ways to package what is effectively the use of suggestion on the subconscious. Kind of like self-hypnotizing. There is evidence to show that it works although you don't need to be quite so dramatic in its execution. By simply writing your goals down somewhere they become slightly more likely to be achieved. Its not a huge effect (despite what these programs may say) but it shows there is limited power in positive thinking.

5. goodfriendiam profile image61
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

Have you ever tried "A course in miracles" I hope you will. www.acim.org

I will look at that..thanks. smile

6. profile image0

Well, its not that much of a 'secret.'  Basically, it says, look up, and all things will follow...  Also, at least with the stuff I've read...set goals to achieve what you want to achieve. Energy creates energy.

And absolutely, it works.  And even if it doesn't, you are better of living a life of potentiality rather than one of limitations...and thinking of limitations.  Anyway, providing you are a real girl, wink, and I'm thinking you are by this point, you are going to find that the journey and the work is what counts, actually, when you do reach your goals...at least that is how I end up feeling.

And that's not really 'new agey,' or 'salesy,' either... just kind of reality.

smile that makes sense

7. DoodleLyn profile image72
    DoodleLynposted 14 years ago

The Bible tells us in Matthew 12:35 "A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things." In other words, what goes in comes out. In computer lingo it is called "GIGO" or Garbage In, Garbage Out! Also in Proverbs 23:7a, we read "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..." This verse tells us, what we think we are! Ouch! Therefore, in Proverbs 4:23 we are commanded, "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." And in Proverbs 23:19 "Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way."

8. earnestshub profile image80

I find that self motivation is about finding what you love to do. It makes you like supergirl, nothing touches it for motivation, problems are gone past rather than through, but trying to give someone else that enthusiasm? Not easy. smile

Yeah! Thats the hard part! I have always been very negative.

9. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Hey there--I'd like to suggest an entirely different book,  another "old" one, but it must be brilliant, 'cuz the author agreed with me! big_smile

That would be:  PsychoCybernetics by Maxwell Maltz.  (Believe I got that right; at any rate, Google it and I'm sure you'll be able to track it down.)

Maltz was a plastic surgeon who couldn't figure out why some of his patients looked better after surgery but THEY didn't believe they looked better.  So he figured out at least part of how the subconscious mind really works.  True, he could have explained the whole thing in 20 pages instead of padding it out to 200 pages in order to create a saleable book, but....  His mental technique of practicing "experiencing" things the way you want them to be may sound a lot like the others, but--to me, anyway--there are some key and helpful differences.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I still have that book. smile

That sounds like a good book! I knew you would jump on the forum with something helpful! smile

10. WittyWordsmith profile image62
    WittyWordsmithposted 14 years ago

You mentioned that you think negatively a lot. I have heard a neat (though possibly painful, lol) remedy for this. It's simple, just pay attention to what you think about, and wear a rubber band around your wrist (a loose one.) If you find yourself drifting into negative thoughts, snap the rubber band!

This helps train you to do two things: 1) monitor your self-talk, and 2) condition yourself to feel physical pain when you are mentally negative. If people ask why your wrist is red, just say it's a project you're working on!

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a great idea! I'm going to try that, it has some psychological merit.

SMART!! smile I love the idea!

11. profile image0

To the rubberband idea:

mmmm, carrots...and actually, lol, mainly, STICKS.  (But hey, if it works for you, good.)

I used to run a lot...and visualize at the same time for success at what I was doing.  It relieves stress you are feeling, 1, it is a natural depression reliever, 2, and it is a tangible, physical thing where you can apply goals, juxtaposed to your creative goals (like acting or writing or painting...what have you.)

12. earnestshub profile image80

I would be very enthusiastic about tasting chocolate for a living, searching for the ultimate dark run and raisins. smile

13. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

A freind gave me hers to read. She thought I'd 'get it'. And presumably she thought I needed a little positive thinking in my life.

Nothing in the book is a secret. But that's why it sold and still does. I remember being struck be page after page of the same words, as though they'd be translated back and forth until they looked different, then used to create more pages.

It wasn't all utter rubbish. Positive thinking is and can be a powerful tool. But many of us already know that. It's not really a secret.

And I'm still extremely skint.

14. arunjain1989 profile image59
    arunjain1989posted 14 years ago

I think that secret do works for u.i have read that book 7 times and i still read it when i find my motivation and enthusiasm dropping.and yea the law of attraction really works....itz just that u have to trust the law as u trust god!!!

15. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

'The Secret', The Law of Attraction' and 'Cosmic Ordering' are all pretty much the same thing. If you're looking for self-help you might do better with Paul McKenna. His books usually come with a self-hypnosis cd, and seriously, I read a lot of this stuff when I was training in hypnotherapy and NLP, and Paul McKenna's writing is far more accessible and helpful than the Secret or any of the other stuff. (Just my opinion of course.....)

1. arunjain1989 profile image59
      arunjain1989posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amanda mam thanx for the insight.i really didn't knew there were lot of self help tools available.and if i get ma hands on ne of Paul McKenna book,i wud love to read it!!

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
        Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try Amazon or ebay. The most useful titles are 'Instant Confidence' and 'Change Your Life in 7 Days'. They're well worth the read.

16. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

It's an old theory and belief from way back when and it always has a new name or face attached to it.  Bottom line, if you dream it, see it, feel it, smell it, and believe it and in yourself, it can happen.  For some, it's called seeing the end and working backwards to the beginning.  For some people, it does work.  For others, no.  Really depends on your self confidence to make things happen -- see the opportunity and take a risk to make it happen.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)