If I was to set up another account.......

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I am thinking about setting up a seperate Hubpages account, using my full real name.

This account would be used for some creative writing, the type of stuff that I am actually proud of.... whilst this account would be used for my normal keyword orientated stuff.

Basically, I want to disasociate myself a little from 'selling out' which is effectively what I have done.

The problem is, I have 2 or 3 hubs which I am very proud of, and would quite like to transfer over to that new account.

If I was to unpublish this work, and copy it over to my new account, would I be flagged by copyscape?

Thanks in advance

1. WeddingConsultant profile image65
      WeddingConsultantposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To answer your above question: No. I've copied-and-pasted a hub (a pretty lengthy hub, at that!) to a different account and had no issues with copyrighting.

I did lose my google first page rank for a keyword phrase. Now the hub is on the 4th page and doesn't get the 100ish visits per day sad

So if that's a risk you're willing to take, have at it!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks thats great, cheers for your help.

2. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I think a lot of people do that, so there's no reason not to if you think you need to.  On the other hand, people who enjoy reading your stuff likely don't suffer for seeing more than one side of you. 

Besides, I think everyone here "gets it" when it comes to whoring our writing out in some hubs while writing stuff that means something in others. Nobody will judge you or stop reading your real work just because you put up money-maker stuff too.  If it's a boring info-hub, I think real fans will see it for what it is and either read it or skip it, but either way, they'll wait for your next real hub again.

As for the copyscape stuff, I doubt it.  If it's unpublished, doesn't it go away after like a week?

1. profile image0

Well its a little different, I have enjoyed writing some a couple of 'funny' things which have had some good feedback.... a couple of nice emails too...

I was thinking about creating an account to focus on slapstick and satirical stuff.... under my real name, whilst writing about serious stuff on this one.

I will link between the two accounts on my profile. Many thanks for your response.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think you're only 'whoring' yourself if you consistently write about things that you have zero interest in but do it just for the sake of generating revenue. everything i write about is something i am either interested in or am genuinely fond of. i don't keep score as to fan counts, views or hits- i just write what i enjoy and if i get a few dollars that's groovy and if i don't; i don't. i am sure that eventually hubbing for a while the revenue will just go up by default as i try to write in a way that interests people. of course i am a writer by profession so that keeps me very busy and i wouldn't have time to keep another account afloat - this is me; take it or leave it. i don't see any need to divide hubs into two separate accounts - one your 'whore' self and the other your authentic self...everything we write contains a little bit of our true selves anyway. (just my opinion on the matter). good luck in whatever you decide to do.

1. profile image0
        Ryan Kettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that saying that people are 'whoring' themselves is pretty harsh to be honest. There are people on here that rely on that income to pay their rent and bills, if it was just a case of a 'few dollars' I could see your point. But content writing in general is a perfectly acceptable as a profession these days.

I would love to sit and write about soccer all day, but it would never pay my rent. I could never get enjoyment out of writing about MBAs, Life Insurance and Credit Cards..... but I could sure enjoy $10 clicks.

1. profile image0
          Ryan Kettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By the way, my 'alter-ego' started this thread smile

3. Shadesbreath profile image79

Like I said, do what you think is best. All I can say is, I've done satire/slapstic stuff and serious stuff on this one name and I get great traffic to my serious stuff and the people who share my sense of humor still read my inane hubs too.  I don't think the one account has hampered me at all.  In fact, the inital few days of high traffic for the serious ones helps get them started I think in ranking because people come take a peek to see what's up. 

Frankly, I've been pleasantly surprised how many will actually read through the long, tedious research stuff I write, people that I would have thought only showed up for a laugh.  You have a pretty good following, I'd give them a chance to surprise you with how open minded and curious they can be.

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I've often wondered if I should have two different "me's" on here - one for my best writing and one for my "business-like" writing.  In fact, a whole bunch of my Hubs aren't either, because when I first signed up I was just answering a lot of requests off the top of my head; so I have a bunch of kind of "non-descript" Hubs that - now - I need to do something about.  In any case, I have a mix of stuff; maybe it would be better to separate them into two or three "me's". 

Then, though, I just figure that if people end up running into something by searching (or accident) they've run into that one thing.  It isn't really about me.  It's more about that one thing they found.  If someone were to then look through the other stuff I've written, well - I am what I am (and I'm not too proud of all that Hubs I wrote to answer requests, without bothering to make them into something more appropriate for HubPages).  (To give you an idea of how many poorly designed, although sometimes well written enough, Hubs I have; I was - like - fourth from the top "request answer" on HubPages until a few months ago.  hmm  I'm just embarrassed by them because they have stupid titles and aren't really good, as far as Hubs go.)

What I don't know, though, is if I were to divide up my account if I'd lose my earnings and anything else I've "built up" (scores, traffic, whatever) as this one person.  So, I just go back to, "I am what I am" and leave the whole business "as is".   hmm  (One day I'll do something about that 140-plus Hubs that were just willy-nilly answers to requests, written because I enjoyed the challenge.)

5. Shadesbreath profile image79

I hear you.  I think the word choice remains accurate though. Taking issue with the term is more a measure of how harshly the concept is internalized.  As a choice of diction "whoring" to me seems perfectly accurate. It refers to doing something for money that would otherwise be done for joy.  A thing intended for beauty, or at worst, utility, when done solely for money becomes subject to that term in my mind.  It's one thing to write for joy and, as an after effect, to reap monetary rewards. It's another thing to write purely for money.  Not saying it's bad to do so, the judgment of "good" or "bad" is individual.  I'm just calling a spade a spade.  If I write a money piece it's just as true of me as it is of anyone else.

1. profile image0

Fair enough, I am happy being a hubpages 'Whore'. You were talking to my alter-ego Ryan Kett by the way..... he writes for pleasure and sets his adsense to 'low'..... At least he will, when he thinks of something to write wink

6. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread but wanted to say, 'hi' to Shades.  Haven't seen you around forever, hope all is well!

Ryan, re having the two accounts, go for it.  Many of us do it, it's not against any TOS, you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of being able to write in the genre you love and might make some money at the same time.

Carpe diem!

Gee, I guess I didn't hijack, afterall.

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Things are good, and "HI" back at you. I hope you are thriving too!

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Yeah its not the hubs dupe content to worry about, its the loss of search placement

Its really not a worthwhile gamble..just link over from your new profile page and within your hubs to the few articles you wanted to transfer

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)