FIRST HUB - slightly different strategy - suggestions welcome!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. ryanbolz profile image61
    ryanbolzposted 14 years ago

Hi guys!
    Joined about a week ago and have to say this site and community is pretty amazing!  I published my first hub this morning:

Do-It-Yourself Online Reputation Management - I Put It To The Test
    Do It Yourself Online Reputation Management - How is it done and does it even work?  I put it to the test  and will walk you through the process every step of the way.

What I am trying to accomplish is not just a standard list or review of resources or services.  I'm actually going to try and optimize my own personal name and the name of my current employer's business using tactics that are free and available on the web - Reporting everything along the way.

The current hub is bare-bones, offering really only a summary and my current Twitter feed.  I also included some interactive pdf screenshots of google results for variations of my name as a starting reference point, with links to the current results for comparison.

In the coming days I will be adding an introductory video as well as some photos here and there to make the page a bit more aesthetically pleasing.  Also, I am currently developing the overall strategy for how to report my progress regularly, which will then be posted as well.

Really, I want this to be my core hub and branch out and make additional hubs where relevantly related to the overall theme and my current progress.  Any suggestions in how to optimize this hub for that purpose are more than welcome!  And if you share similar interests or know some good hubbers that are worth checking out, please shoot them my way!  I'd love to start the ball rolling and getting involved in the community here!

Thanks!

1. ColdNoseDreamery profile image60
      ColdNoseDreameryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ryan,
         I just signed up and am getting used to the format. I have useful information that I prefer to publish in the most professional manner.  I thought it would be great to connect with a hubber before I begin.
         It sounds like you are in tune with how things work around here. So, can you answer a question for me? I'd like to ask where I submit the text for the bulk of my article.  I found the space to enter the summary and am wondering if I simply write the entire hub in that space, or if there is another place to type it?
         I hope this question makes sense to you. It is probably a silly question, but you seem very forthcoming in sharing your advice.
      Thanks, Kristi

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

ryan,

I'll be sifting through it shortly. smile Awesome thoughts. I've been using HP to test some social theories of my own...

G|M

ryanbolzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

@GeneriqueMedia: Thanks for the quick skim!  I did the same for your profile actually, and I have to say, I'm definitely digging your profile summary!  Some of what you mentioned helps frame why I'm forming my HP to begin with...

Fresh out of college, I took a job in the auto industry, specifically to assist with web based design and marketing. Immediately, I was overwhelmed by the atmosphere.  Though greed does sometime come in to play, the greater affliction seems to be a general overemphasis on the end rather than the means.  The auto industry is result-driven and it becomes easy to lose one's self to the demands of your peers and employers, especially when your livelihood depends on it.

However, instead of moving on or following in suit, I personally decided that my aim was not to drive sales, but instead to build them...  by developing business strategies and implement plans that restore a balance of power between establishment and consumer, facilitate more radical transparency of operations, encourage dialogue, and perhaps most importantly, help my peers remember that customers are not statistics, sales or lost deals, but real people...  The word humanize comes to mind... 

That's really the goal of this little experiment that I hope to play out here on hubpages.  "Reputation Management" is the recognizable keyword... the face and public brand.  However, the stuff that empowers why reputation management is important for a business isn't really about driving results... or atleast it shouldn't be.  In reality, it's those ideals that keep us connected and engaged one person to the next that should inspire the call to manage your reputation in the first place... to reach out and let others know that we are talking with you... to make catch phrases like customer service a real action to be engaged in, rather than mere word play.

... Hmmm.... sounds like a relevant second HP?  Now only to tweak this first one before I get myself carried away! wink

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
        GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keep it up bud. smile

There's nothing "revolutionary" about being an honest, decent person. It's just in short supply in this day and age. smile

Peace,

G|M

@GeneriqueMedia
          I have to agree!  Sometimes the tricky part though is remaining true to those ideals and conscious of where you are at any given time.  It's easy to lose one's self to a situation!

3. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I have glanced, but have a busy day and have been going back and forth with G|M for the past half an hour lol

I did want to say that the idea of using the current hub as a core hub is something that I am also doing. I tend to work best if I'm working in a series and am currently doing one about Wordpress. The next one will be about marriage. I am suspecting that this will work but as yet have no way to provide solid feedback. Perhaps check with someone who has done a capstone.

@Everyday Miracles: I had a chance to browse some of your hubs, and one in particular caught my eye.  The title was cut short due to space constraints and displayed as "When can infidelity in a marriage be...", and I simply had to know the rest of the topic.

Not only is the content engaging, but I especially liked how you integrated references to your other HPs with the "Suggested Reading from My Hubs" section and then followed it with additional content.  It definitely stimulates further interest so that as you continue reading the rest of the Hub, you start to think ahead to what you want to view next.  Nice work!

4. Everyday Miracles profile image86

It is generating traffic, Ryan. Beyond that I can't say a whole lot. Since I began inter-linking my hubs (something shailini suggest, by the way), I have begun to get more clicks in Google. Sunday I got quite a fair number of them for someone who has been around here three weeks. I'm satisfied (for now).

I just started on an actual series (the second one I've begun, the first one to have more than one part) and you can find the first hub at http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Download … g-Software I put the link to the second hub in the series in two different places in the first hub and will probably continue in this manner. Part one was published yesterday and part 2 today so I have no data to share with you -- yet.

I think that what you're doing is a good idea and the plans you have for the series is clever. It will be interesting to see what you discover about creating a "brand" on the internet!

@Everyday Miracles:  Definitely keep me in mind once you start to see some numbers - I'd love to hear what is working for you!  And congrats for all you've accomplished in 3 weeks! I have to admit, I had to do a double take when I read when you joined.  All the hubs of yours I viewed look incredibly refined and professional and with 45 published, it's impressive to say the least.

Quick question for ya...  At what point do you consider a hub you work on as ready to be published?  The nature of my series will have some hubs I create ever evolving and adapting to new information as it arises, but I'm more concerned with the internal battle I'm already facing with getting content up vs refining content to completion before publication.  Thoughts?

5. Everyday Miracles profile image86

I try to set time aside every week now to work on older hubs. Having been here for three weeks, they are only *so* old, but nevertheless, I try to publish one a day and then once a week refine the older works.

I haven't decided what "finished" looks like yet. There are a couple that I am very pleased with already but I need to watch them to figure out what more can be done.

@Everyday Miracles
      I definitely understand where you are coming from with not knowing what "finished" looks like.  I keep peeking at my 1 hub and know exactly what I want to update and where I see it going.  Sadly, I'm also multitasking other responsibilities for work on the side. 

I think a good game plan is to craft the current hub content to really present itself as the core unit of the series by tomorrow and then try out the One-A-Day approach, setting time aside from work to really dedicate to developing this further.

6. ryanbolz profile image61

And just a side note - my hubpage is the first listing on page two of the google search results already when googling the keyword ryan bolz. One uncompleted Hub page getting ranked that high in 24 hours is a pretty motivating start!   big_smile

7. ryanbolz profile image61

I just realized, I should have read some of the HB tutorials others used have made...  Was completely oblivious to the more advanced features of capsule ordering and color until just now!

8. Lifebydesign profile image63
    Lifebydesignposted 14 years ago

For a first hub, great start and idea!

@Lifebydesign: Thanks!  I posted a reply to your comment directly on the hub page!  Hopefully if I can get a bit of time away from work, I can finalize the page and start expanding the series!

9. Lifebydesign profile image63
    Lifebydesignposted 14 years ago

Will stay tuned. Going to see if I can find you on Twitter.

10. megs78 profile image59
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Hey Ryan,
    Pretty interesting idea, and it made me think right away if I have been careful in how I use my name around the web.  I would like to follow what you're doing so I can get a better grasp as to how it will work, but very neat so far.

PS.  You have two spelling errors:  cropt and Gogle.  Just thought you would like to know.  I'm kind of a geek when it comes to spelling.  smile

Megs

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)