I think I may have actually written a decent hub...

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. kowings profile image60
    kowingsposted 14 years ago

But I would love any feedback, constructive or otherwise.

How can I make this hub better?

http://hubpages.com/hub/how-to-home-school

Thanks in advance for all your help

1. Luciendasky profile image59
      Luciendaskyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seems well written - maybe add a few things on how to help your child through the process of homeschooling. It can be very difficult on them both during the process and after "graduation"... my parents forced me to be homeschooled and I have had problems getting into college and have had my resume ignored at some places - simply because when they ask where I got my diploma, I have to state I was homeschooled. Show resources that might help in those situations - or find out places where they can take more advanced classes that you may not know and they would struggle teaching themselves - such as trigonometry etc.

1. profile image0
        Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What did you get out of homeschooling?

1. Luciendasky profile image59

not much actually... most of what I learned educationally was from the 2 years of high school I went to real school and had real teachers. I didn't learn much after that... and I didn't have any friends because I didn't know anyone. It took about 4 years after I graduated before I had any stable friendships because I was socially awkward. When I was younger, my mom sometimes took up to other homeschooled kids to hang out with - but they were socially awkward as well, so I don't think either of us learned anything.

The one thing I did get was time management, because I had to control when I studied, how I studied etc...

1. profile image0
            rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel bad that happned to you, but lots of "real" schooled kids are socially akward too.

2. Luciendasky profile image59

other than that - it is very well written and gives the reader a lot to think about and gives them good resources as well...

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That hub does not answer the question in any depth. That is too broad a subject to answer in just 900 words.

If I was writing it I would prefer to go into far greater detail and add links to all those places you are talking about such as half price books, barnes and noble etc.

I would also break it up into sections more and add those links in each applicable section.

I will give you an example of a more detailed hub which is broken up into sections so you can see what I mean:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-Ten-American-Recipes

Hope that helps.

kowingsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This feedback affected me in two ways. It gave me some great feedback that I'll use to improve on this and future hubs, and it made me HUNGRY.

Thank you for the first, and I blame you for the second. smile

By the way, where do you get such great pics from, I noticed the same thing on the espresso hub, and they really look cool.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOL

Well - sorry you are hungry wink

The photos on the recipe hub are either my own or taken from the public domain somewhere.

The photos on the espresso machines are mostly taken from Amazon's sales page.

In the meantime - I took a look at your profile page and have a question for you if you don't mind. Are you homeschooling your children because you think evolution is a lie and you want to teach them the truth?

I don't mind a bit, It's actually a pretty common question. That wasn't a consideration when we decided to home school our son. To put it bluntly, U.S children are considered to be among the worst educated in the civilized world. I have a wife who is very intelligent and a gifted teacher. So I figure we can do at least as good a job as our public school system does.

That is cool - I meet a lot of people here who do that though - so as long as you are not teaching your children that evolution is wrong - I am happy to help.

Personally, I would not attempt to homeschool my kids because I do not have the depth of knowledge needed to teach certain subjects. I would hope that they can learn about things I do not even know they need to know, but I can understand why you would want to do it if you local school system is that bad. And yes - your school system does have a poor reputation.

From you sudden silence - does that mean that you are teaching your children that evolution is wrong?

Hey Mark,

I was actually out for a while. Sorry about that. I've had issues with evolutionary theory since before I became a Christian. However, what we're going to do with my son when the time comes(he's only 5 so it's not an issue yet) is teach him evolution, and then teach him why we have issues with it. After that he's free to decide. One thing I believe strongly in is that he be equipped to think critically and choose his own beliefs.

2. kowings profile image60

Thanks for the feedback. That may be an interesting topic for a future hub.

3. kowings profile image60

As an update to this. The article in question is now getting more traffic than all my others combined, I've gotten my first hits from Google with it, and I got my first ad click. Life is GOOD!!

Of course I'm still open to criticism, so bring it ON!!

smile

1. profile image0

maybe links to support? Its not always easy, especailly in  a rural place, to get support groups going. Perhaps you know of one and could put in a link?

4. goodfriendiam profile image59
    goodfriendiamposted 14 years ago

Can someone read mine to, and point out any errors, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Fetal-postion?done

1. profile image0

"I'm sitting here, when out of know where"

maybe should be nowhere...

but I personally wouldn't care. not big on spelling, in case you hadn't noticed. Just brought it up cuz you asked. I think it was good. gave ya a thumbs up.  smile

1. goodfriendiam profile image59
        goodfriendiamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thanks I "will" try to remember that...lol

1. profile image0

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)