Moving Out of My Parents' House - Any Tips?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    MistHavenposted 14 years ago

I want to move out of my parents house for good by the end of the year. I'm doing research to find out what I should be expecting in terms of living expenses and all, but I was wondering; what are some tips to living on your own, or with roommates? What should I be expecting.

To help put my situation in perspective; right now I don't have a job, I do have a car, I have a cell phone, but due to an arguement about me not having a job yet, I'm getting it cut off because its under my father's name. I have a credit card too, but I'm getting it canceled as well, because that too isn't in my name.

I would also like to know what other people went through when they moved out of their parents houses for the first time, I think that would help me the most.

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are lucky to be living with your parents and should only move out when its Financially suitable for you. i.e good job. Just to give you an idea: Years and years ago when I started living on my own, I had to pay the following:

Rent
      Gas
      electricity
      Water rates
      Council Tax
      Television License
      Satellite TV
      Food
      Transport
      Phone Landline
      Mobile phone

Now, there was only me, myself and I, living in the flat. Sometimes, I fell behind, my Dad would send me money from abroad. I was working full time, but the bills were a lot to pay out. It's not easy until you secure a very good Job. (then again may be in America, you'll get financial aid).

Take your time.

Ps: incase you are asking: well, why did you move?
      I moved cos I was finding it difficult to get admission into Uni in Africa and I pleaded with my parents to send me back to the UK to get admission here. That's how it started.

1. profile image0
        MistHavenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the insight. I want to start building back up my savings now so I have some cushioning to fall back on, but moving out definitely isn't a must, it's just, I feel like my growth is being stunted by living at home. I like the security and ease of living, but I don't have anything in my name, and menatally, I feel like moving out will help me grow up alot and be more responsible. I did a lot of growing up while away at college, so I feel like I'm menatlly ready, just not financially so.

ANd in this crappy country's economy, I'll be lucky to find a bad job, let alone a good one, lol. But I'm staying open-minded.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you will blossom when you move out---I don't know you but it seems your parents might want to control you a little bit. it will be hard, but it feels good because anything you do, even making mistakes, is YOU and no one can take that away from you. all I can add to what others posted is that once you have a job, take advantage of the situation and save every penny possible. if you need a cell, you can buy a pay-per-use phone at target without a credit card. and when you open a checking account they give you a debit and credit card. you should be able to move out in short order (6 months or so) once you have a job and have saved some money. in the meantime, you can apartment-shop online to get a feel for what's out there. friendships can change when you share a living space together, but if you make sure at the start that all ground rules are clearly established, you should be ok. if you both sign a short lease (6 months), you can always part ways if it doesn't work out. just one thing - the shorter the lease, the higher the rent - that's the only drawback. as for me, i think living alone is the best way to go, unless you have a really good friend who you LIKE being around, etc. or who is never there, heh.

best wishes!

3. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Chaos son. Utter chaos. But you look like a bright lad. Keep your wallet tight and work hard and don't let friends take advantage, and this goes for the female variety too. good luck.

2. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I don't know how old you are, but one way to get out of your parents' house without a job is by going to college, applying for financial aid, and asking that housing be included in it.  Of course, if you quit or flunk out you have to pay back the financial aid (and there's really no defaulting on those loans because they'll be after you for the rest of your life, truly).  Still, you'd be getting the education AND getting a place to stay.  Maybe you could apply for January semester now?  (I don't know.  I've lost track of when applications have to be in for the different semesters.)

Other than that, you need to live somewhere where you can live free until you do get a job, save up enough money to pay first/last month's rent (etc.); and depending on how much you earn and what rents are where you're looking, you may be better off finding a roommate or two (but they need to be reliable, or you'll end up always worrying because someone moves out, and you can't afford the rent).  Of course, you could probably stay at your parents while you're saving up money.  If the issue is your not having a job, and you have to get a job in order to move out; then there won't be fighting any more.  (Don't be too proud to stay just because they'd be seeing you get the job they've wanted you to get.  Both they and you want the same thing for you:  To be able to support yourself comfortably and independently, and to get off to the right start in doing that.) 

If you're working you should be able to get a credit card, even if it's a "beginner card" (student card type of thing).  The big thing is not to do what so many young people do, which is run it up and not be able to pay it off each month.

One big thing young people find is that they often have trouble affording groceries.  I didn't know this at the time, but both my sons admitted to eating pasta with catsup on it  hmm.  One of them was eating pumpkin pie filling out of a can "for nutrition"  hmm.   Of course, that kind of thing is all part of the "experience"  smile .  It's not the most luxurious and easy existence, but young people do it all the time; and they usually find a lot of positive aspects of it too.

1. profile image0
      MistHavenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm 22, and I just graduate from undergrad college. My only choice would be to go to graduate school, but I definitely can't afford that and don't want to ask my parents to help pay for it. Also, I don't think I can take any more forced learning, lol.

It looks like I'll have to stay here at my parents house saving up money in the meantime. My goal is to be out of here by the end of the year, and I would like to go it alone, but I know having a roommate will help immensly.

Finally, I will look into "beginner" credit cards. Luckily, I rarely used the credit card I had before, so I'm not so worried about going crazy with one. I actually hate paying with credit, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Thanks for all your insight, Lisa!

1. profile image0
        rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, lisa has good advice!! If your parents are willing to let you stay, while you find a job, take it. My parents kicked me out when I was 19. No school other then high school. I had a job, a bean bag, and a matress. I survived, but it wasnt easy. DONT get a credit card. If you dont have the money for it now, dont get it. trust me, credit cards DO NOT help. use cash, get a job, dont buy things you cnat afford. loose the cell phone if you dolnt ahve a job. get one when you do. Just saying, I am 33 and have been thru all this. I was alive before cell phones were invented, and astonishing as it seems, you can live without one. If you hav epeopel who love you, willing to help, take it!

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Lisa, you are lovely! You have a great big heart that loves to help. Luv ya! smile

4. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Ernest, thanks.  What a nice thing to say.   smile

MistHaven, my son has been out of college since 2003, and he still shares an apartment (in a nice enough area) with three roommates (all with at least one degree).  He's been promoted a few times, and his salary isn't bad; but rents (and everything else) are high these days.  That's why these days there are so many "boomerang kids", who go back home and stay to save money even after graduating.  Anyway, good luck.

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Hmmmm....a credit card, cell phone, a car and no job? Yup. Time to be moving out and growing up! smile

6. profile image0
    annvansposted 14 years ago

I moved out of parents house when I got married, but then later moved back when we all moved to another state.  I moved into a tiny little apartment for $250 a month plus utilities.  I did ok I guess.  I did have a credit card to help me when I needed money or something though. 

If you move in with a roomate, hopefully it will be one that you get along with well. 

If you are going to be alone, you may wanna get a good paying job and or have someone close to you living with you that you can trust maybe.  I had a relative living next to me and we helped each other out too.

A good tip would be to hold onto your money and spend it wisely so that you do not get in a bind.

7. profile image0
    MistHavenposted 14 years ago

@cosette: Thanks for the support. I didn't know the length of the lease affected rent. I'm the type who learns best by experience, there's only so much I can get out of reading and researching about something from afar.

@LisaHw: I don't feel so awkward having to come back home after reading your post. I just always envisioned moving straight into my own place after graduation. I didn't plan on this recession hitting so hard, though, lol.

@ralwus: I seem to do well in the midst of chaos, lol. And don't worry, I don't let ANYONE take advantage of me anymore.

@lrohner: Cute.

@annvans: Moving next to someone you know sounds like a good idea. I plan on getting a credit card, I just don't want to have to rely on that instead of emergency money.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)