Comments...How much is enough ?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

(When responding to comments made on your Hub)

Be..Ba, Ba...Be..Ba, Ba....That's All Folks...!

http://www.chicouniform.com/Nursing/Tops/White_Cross_LooneyTunes.jpg

Sometimes...it is difficult to not go on and on...about a topic that you are very interested in. I found this to be the case on many Hubs that have thought provoking comments.

Is it a big turn-off...when an author of a hub...goes into details about a topic they wrote on...(And why they wrote on a topic)...or should they just say "Thank You very much!" ?

Just curious...I want to know...'Cause I have a tendency to want to expound and examine a topic...even more...after people make great comments about the topic...?

2. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

I would say its different for everyone. YOUR fans, are YOUR fans, becasue of who you are. SOOOO I would guess they wont mind.

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good point, redneckwoman...after all they did fan you for a reason...and then commented on something you wrote...so maybe...a little detail don't hurt!

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

RAmen to that. Just do as you like smile

1. profile image0
        rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. manlypoetryman profile image83

Ok Misha...but that kinda' leaves your tail section out hanging in the breeze!

http://www.dontdrinkthekoolaidblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/charmin-bears.jpg

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He-he. i do as i like, and use water instead tongue

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm an expounder by nature (no doubt about that), so I'm often torn being expounding and letting the commenter have the last word.  I never quite know what's more polite - to let someone have the last word, which could appear to be no replying to his most recent comment; or to expound, which could be seen as "engaging in conversation" or else as "needing to have the last word".  I just wing it on a case-by-case basis.

See...that is what I'm talking about...! I like the case-by-case thinking though...however...I still don't want to appear too long-winded on my own hub...ya' know?

4. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Just like Lisa writes, it's case by case and for me depends on the topic.  There are some topics that I will just kinkly say thank you because I intend to continue writing on that topic in other hubs and don't want to give away too much in the comments.

But there are also other topics, usually my short stories, that I don't mind continuing on the speculation.

See...I tend to think that the writer in you wants to express more on the topic. However...you are wise too not give too much away. What is the ol' show business saying? "You got to leave 'em wanting more!"

5. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

For me, the purpose of the comments section is for readers to test the reasoning in your hub to see whether it is sound. They can add their own observations. They can tell you where they think you may be mistaken. They can ask questions about something they did not understand that you said. Then your job is to answer, as much as possible to the point. We all come away from that with a better understanding.

Yep...I would agree with that...but is that "more-or-less" a standard of what others expect when they make a comment to your hub...?

1. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, it varies a lot. I learned, for instance, that not all hubbers like to have a discussion in the comments. But I agree with what some of the others have said: on your hubs, you get to make the rules. People who enjoy your way of dealing with comments will come back for more.

6. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Well this is why we are all so different, and it is another way we can get to 'know' you. Do what you will manly, it won't take away from you. I like it when a commenter adds to my hub with a sort of mini hub in the comment capsule.

Ok ralwus...then get ready...a got a "doozy" of one headed for your hubs...! smile Juz' Kiddin'...Heck, I know I can kid with you...? Right...Please? ralwus...you still out there...fellow poet in arms?

7. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

I guess you could say  "That's All Folk's !"    (~)

8. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

If the person who post the comment says something that Is thought provoking then I might elaborate further . But If they just say sometning like GOOD JOB ! ( Which has never happened to me } What else can you say besides thank you ?

Please allow me then...Good Job!

1. tony0724 profile image59
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thx Buddy !

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)