Inside is an honest question for honest people.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Shaul Stein profile image61
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

Honest question here ! big_smile

Do any of you believe you have a spirit ?

If so, how do you prove it really exists ?

Or what about your soul ?

How do you prove it exists ?

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cannot prove it ,its too personal an experience. smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

I don't need to prove it.

Yes.

Why do you need my proof?

1. mohitmisra profile image60
        mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol   lol   lol  awesome. smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

I am awed to make you smile... so self- evident.

Everyone who has a spirit or soul-- please enjoy the awesome gift  with reverent wonder --without questioning it to death.

Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not personally need proof and did not ask the question for my own sake. I am sorry you assumed I did not believe. I DO!

I asked it because people who do not believe in God always want physical proof.  So I am asking them to prove they have a spirit and soul.

God is spirit and has a soul.

But if  they expect us to prove He exists, then I ask them to prove they have existance outside of just a body. smile

Is that not fair to do? Ask them for proof?

Shaul, I did not assume that you did not believe.

Asking them to "prove" something drives them away from belief or faith which does not need physical proof.

Everyone who questions honestly, finds spiritual proof.
              Even St. Thomas, who doubted honestly, was given proof.

Oh ok.
                I was doing them a service actually because if they cannot prove they have one or the other, then they have to ask themselves....

"why do we ask for proof from people who believe in God who cannot be seen?"

I am just using their logic is all smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                  Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

More importantly - why is it so important that you get other people to believe in your invisible super being that there cannot be any proof for because it does not exist?

And lets face it, dead dog guy - you are not exactly the most honest person are you?

I have no concern for trying to "get you to believe" Mark, you make up your own mind. I cannot "make" anyone do anything.

Did you have an answer to the topic question?

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

It's a fair reasoning-- but why use the 'unfair' logic of people you  deem to be wrong?

A wise teacher might advise you to use a better tactics if you must argue.

Getting them to "look" at their own line of logic and reasoning is all that this is about.
                    No ill will here. smile

They question believers, so they can answer the same question I would think.

Messiah often reasoned with doubters by asking questions.

2. Shaul Stein profile image61

That is my point...you said it well.....

"please enjoy the awesome gift  with reverent wonder --without questioning it to death"

Myself and many others do enjoy the gift of God towards us and do not question it to death.

It is evident to us who belive with out seeing "proof".....although I think what I see in creation is proof.

So if they believe they have a spirit and soul that cannot be seen, why cannot they understand us instead of beating to death the whole "give me proof of God!!!"

3. Jewels profile image81
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The soul is easy to see, it's the sheath you wear.  It is that which animates your body, the personality traits that you use.  The Spirit is the essence of you beyond the physical realms.  It's transpersonal and consequently not up for viewing.

2. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I believe a a very strong case can be made for spirit and soul outside religious belief, which in my view is where they belong!

To put it simply, both spirit and soul manifest though love! That is not the proof, but to some it is self evident smile

1. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would actually be very interested to see a non-religious case for the existence of the soul, mainly because it is rather refreshing to see where religious people and atheists can agree.

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I suppose it depends upon your definition of "soul".  I'd like to hear Earnest's...

May we hear yours?

1. profile image0

Sorry, I don't believe I have a soul.  I am a material being.  For me, spirit and soul are creations of man's brain.

Oh I see.
              Well what do you think happens when you die?
              What about your emotions, your mind, intuition, volition?
              All the things you cannot see?

1. profile image0

Poof!  All gone.  The things you mention are merely functions of our brain, inherited and passed along from our ancestors.  Having these qualities (intuition, volition, and emotions) is  adaptationally advantageous.  Keeps us safe from predators, able to be creative food seekers, alarms us to danger, keeps us breeding.  smile

earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That does not have to mean they do not exist there in some way.

2. Valerie F profile image60
          Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As would I. I think most people's definition of "soul" is about the same or similar enough. Where even a lot of religions differ is not on the definition of the soul, but on the specifics of its nature, how and when it comes to reside within a body, et cetera.

1. profile image0

Yes, better stated.  That's why I'm curious about Earnest's thoughts.

1. Jewels profile image81
              Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For what's is worth wordscribe, I've just started a series on astrology that incorporates a spiritual essence.  It is not your mainstream astrology, you already know I'm out of the box, but not an idiot!!LOL.  The Soul as I describe it, is the personality and character traits that we use to animate the body.  My standpoint on astrology is as a language to show this.  Bare in mind I'm not talking about horoscopes here.

1. profile image0

Thanks, Jewels.  I'll definitely check it out.  I always value your insights and pure intelligence.  Thanks for the information.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I have a soul.

My soul is better than your soul, in fact it could kick your soul's ass with one hand metaphorically tied behind it's spiritual back.  mad

4. earnestshub profile image79

I am amazed that even you would be naive enough to name this thread "an honest question," The true title is
    "A loaded question" smile You would not know truth if you fell over it! This is yet another of your lies, while you provide nothing but fluff.

In what way was it dishonest?
      Please tell me / us.

1. earnestshub profile image79

Any person who does not see the load is not looking or does not read the english language! Your intro loads the question if you want me to spell it out for you, and your comments load the question as well. lol

1. profile image0

Oh, Earnest.  lol  I know what you're thinking, but I find this all innocuous.  In fact, I appreciate the inquiry as he is looking for proof.  It's true, I'm always looking for proof as an atheist.

Proof defies faith-- Faith defies proof.  The debate will not end. To some Faith is proof enough and they should stop trying to convince those who do not have it. Goodnight.

The factor is the OP's. Track record. smile

5. earnestshub profile image79

Not today though. smile I am working believe it or not, and have just hit another deadline! No time to find what bolted the soul and spirit to my self, or even a definition of self that is inclusive. The theories that went in to understanding the soul and spirit with self is complex indeed.

I will say that there is a lot more to "self" than even words can deal with. In an explanation about the feeling function one suddenly finds words near useless!
    Without the German language it is even harder to understand or explain because English misses some feeling related words.

The analogies of self are very difficult too and many great books have been written on the subject and that which supports it.

So why do you believe in something you cannot prove?
      Why should I belive you have one?

1. earnestshub profile image79

You may like to read what I have to say again! smile ... and your belief in me is of no consequence.

6. Becca's Blog profile image59
    Becca's Blogposted 14 years ago

I believe art alone proves humans have a Spirit. Art, music, literature (fiction) serve no real practical purpose. It all comes from are need to create. Maybe humans have a creative s
    spirit that does not live on after death, but this "spirit" carries on and inspires the next generation. Well, it is obvious to me now that I believe in Muses..lol

Well I know that when I hear music inside and then compose it and it touches peoples lives, I did not create it out of my mere physical body, it is to deep for that.
      When I am awoken at 3am with music going on in my soul that I have never heard before and must write it down even though I have to go to work at 6am, that is for sure happening in the realm of the spirit. smile

1. Becca's Blog profile image59
        Becca's Blogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your Muse needs to learn to tell time..lol

Composers have no control over when they hear music to write, that is for sure. big_smile

7. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

They Will . . . Or maybe they won't.
    It is not up to you or me.

If they see something positive or helpful in your life or mine that leads them in one direction or another, so be it.

If they are angered or discouraged or outraged by something we do, then we may be diminished by not showing a spirit-filled influence, or they may lose a chance to come closer to peace.

So be it.

8. Shaul Stein profile image61
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

"And am really curious as to why you are so desperate to get other people to believe. "

I do not care if you believe at all Mark!

I leave it up to you, no big deal to me, you keep bringing it up Mark.
    Trying to convince me I do this when I do NOT care at all what you do Mark.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now you are lying again. More proof that your religion is worthless. Thanks.

Lying about what Mark?
        Are you somehow astonished that I can say I do not care if you believe what I do?

Because I really do not!.........Go your way Mark, not mine!

9. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

The burden of proof is on you, Mark is right about that.  I've used this argument before, and I'll use it again... 

If I tell you I have a VERY hungry pink unicorn that needs food and I ask you to please run to the store to get it food, the burden of proof in on ME to show you this pink unicorn exists.  Does it not?  If I were unable to prove this assertion about the unicorn, you as a reasonable person would reject its existence as one that's preposterous. The one making the claim for such a proposition is the one that must provide the proof.  Simple as that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)