Im thinking about leaving hubpages...

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (96 posts)
  1. icewave5 profile image61
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

I've been here a while, making hubs are hard work and i don't have the time.. unable to see the benefits..might come back one day... Farewell hubpages and to all you hubbers..

1. BristolBoy profile image61
      BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would hardly say thet 4 weeks is a long time but cheerio I guess.

2. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you can stay and publish new hubs when you have the inclination smile

3. profile image0
      TheSandmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    4. goldentoad profile image61
      goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This departure will keep me up tonight...so sad, so sad.

1. lisafwg01 profile image61
        lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Goldentoad, you are very amusing, and I mean that in the best possible way!

Thanks for giving me several chuckles tonight.

1. goldentoad profile image61

I give some people heartburn.

5. profile image0
      nazishnasimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Icewave, am thinking over the same lines too ...

2. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Each to their own, I've left and arrived back, but it took me two and a half years to return.Life can get in the way sometimes.

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Icewave - good luck smile

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Good luck Icewaves, I hope you find time to return some day as DennisBarker has done.

5. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

You can always come back and will be welcome.

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Icewave, don't give up yet!  I earned nothing for the first three months and then suddenly, I started to earn pennies.  I'm now earning $30 to $50 a month even though I'm only writing one new Hub every couple of months. 

By all means take a break if you haven't got time, but remember to come back and check your Adsense account in a few months' time - you might get a pleasant surprise!

7. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

why not just leave your options open, you will miss us, and we will miss you.....

8. DeskCoder profile image39
    DeskCoderposted 14 years ago

If you don't see the benefits, then you are probably aren't using Hubpages right.  I have seen some great benefit from the hubs I put up.

9. profile image52
    MSmithHubposted 14 years ago

I have come to realize that it takes time for result to show in Hubpages. So, don't give up. Keep trying.

10. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

Ice wave5, i am going to miss u.I wish i had your Hub score. farewell my friend!

11. wittywriter profile image60
    wittywriterposted 14 years ago

Do not leave, just take a sabbatical. Come back and check your google adsense and see what happens. It takes time for good things to happen. If you decide to leave, peace be with you.

12. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Stay Icewave smile you can still write a Hub (or not) each month, post in a forum here and there, twitter, Facebook. It doesn't have to be a full-time activity but least you will still *build* your Hub. We are here to help and love seeing eachother grow. Hurry back.

13. Anna Marie Bowman profile image74
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 14 years ago

icewave, don't leave.  Trust me.  I felt the same way at first, took a little time off, came back.  I don't get a lot of time to write, and it often takes me a long time to write a single hub.  I do them in pieces.  The one I am working on has taken me over a week so far, because I can't find the time to write.

14. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

If you want to leave, then suit yourself. I know a great community you can leave for. It's at www.hubpages.com

15. icewave5 profile image61
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

Ok i'll stay, ill try harder not to leave and harder making more hubs.

16. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Welcome back smile

17. mandybeau profile image59
    mandybeauposted 14 years ago

Hope u don't

18. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

No don't....  It could be that you are just at the point of breaking through. (positively).  Why not just take a break instead and come back fresh.

On behalf of KC and the Sunshine band I say

"Please don't Gooooooooooooo"!

19. profile image0
    TheSandmanposted 14 years ago

I wish you well the effort is not wroth the rewards here

20. profile image0

write for Hp, write for any one but most of all write for your  self and HP and the corporate conglomerate in general can be controlled by us, we just need the courage to say NO NO NO NO !!!

21. profile image0

IF we all F'n quite what do they have, blank pages

I disagree sandman, they will have some article producing machine in case of human error

22. profile image0

Yes perhaps, but a freakin PC can't do what we can and the advertisers at some point will know that real quick

You would think, but that's the difference between us and them, its all a number to them, an equation, the words hardly matter even if they say they do. Advertisers will be shown numbers, not words.

1. profile image0
  23. profile image0

I can do real quick math and between you and me and few others 3,00o fans would be lost wih just about 3 of of us leaving and of course there are many many more

24. profile image0

figure the math that Google and amazon etc would have to do if just 29 of us left, that are top scores

25. profile image0

besides what are you going to loose a dollar week or something, you want readership it is out there

26. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I think if we just ignore the marketing how to make a million page hits on Hubpages kind of hubs, how to generate traffic, how to make 89 cents in 6 months and all the other crap and just focus on the good quality hubs that some hubbers are still consistently putting out, then it can still be good.  Just keep a small list of people you enjoy reading and continue with that.  All this challenge stuff is fading already anyway, so if you are here for the community then don't quit.  If you are only here to get rich, then this is probably not the right place for you.

1. profile image0

exactly  and if the Robby Robot sees all of of a sudden 100 people stop writing Robbie is going to say F'n Meg  what's up

1. Paper Moon profile image79
        Paper Moonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fortunately my sole reason for being here is not $$$.  I would starve.  I do enjoy it, and noticed a tiny jump from  5c to $15.  My wife having been here just over 3 months, is about to get her first check.  I scoffed at her for the $$$ part at first, but damn if she wasn’t right.  It isn’t much, but it is fun and every little bit helps.  Don’t feel you have to constantly publish.  I would recommend just publishing when inspired, and not when you are not.  No reason to delete an account.  Just sit a spell.  This whole Hub challenge monster has seemed to create a pressure that was not here a just a little while ago.  This too shall pass.  And ditto to cindy!

1. profile image0

Funny thing I have not done a hub since 4/28 and numbers have not gone down at all and often go up, as for the money, artist need to eat, if you have another day job that you like and pays you , then God bless you, we all do not have that, some of us are just writers, actors, photographers etc, and what we earn from our talent is what we eran....DAM IT !m

2. profile image0

I want to write one real top notch maybe  2 on a good week hub, and get paid for it, a decent share of what HP get, because with out you and me HP is going to get Zeltch Zero Nadq, )))))

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are getting at least 60%, Hubpages - at most 40%. Not sure what your problem is.

1. profile image0

Gee thought I made that obviousness I want to get apid what I 'm worth

1. Misha profile image63

I don't think anybody promised you anything close when you signed up. I for example don't think I can even guess what you are worth. Why don't you try to sell yourself to publishers that think they can?

27. cindyvine profile image68

Yep Sandman, but how much do HP get realistically?  How many people ever click on those ads?  Personally, I have never ever clicked on an ad.

1. profile image0

Your right and HP need to put some money into advertising and promotion so that the audience grows more people from the out side world.... then more clicks, the reason they do not get click is not our fault but theirs, PROMOTE the site, I suspect they got a real cheap deal with Google and the rest and they put no dollars it to promotion

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've got no idea how this business works do you?

1. profile image0

40 years in Radio an TV On Air and management I think I have some idea how this crap works

1. Misha profile image63

LOL You obviously have no idea smile Lack of understanding breeds anger, you know smile

1. profile image0
          2. darkside profile image65

I see. You do have no idea.

This is not radio. Or TV. It is the Internet.

Until you can approach it with fresh eyes and an open mind then the answers, which I know you will grasp because you are intelligent, will remain hidden.

The Internet has changed a lot of things. Even I have trouble keeping up with it. I registered an account at Twitter two years ago this month and didn't touch it because I wrote it off for being crap and it's only NOW that I realise how powerful a tool it is.

I recommend the following books: The Adsense Code by Joel Comm and Click: What Millions of People Are Doing Online and Why it Matters by Bill Tancer

And Seth Godin has a bunch of free ebooks that are worth getting ahold of.

1. profile image0

Your right I bow to you wisdom, I probably don't have the foggiest idea how this internet stuff really works, Your right it's not Radio or TV, but damn man I write my heart out and 9 certs, whats wrong with that picture,m also I have set up Google Amazon and the rest

2. Janet21 profile image81
      Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Trust me, people do click.  I am on target to make $60 in adsense earnings this month with just 25 hubs.  And, I make up a very, very, small portion of the total number of hubs on hubpages.  I am just a drop in the bucket, but it does add up.   So, they are making money. 

That being said, I don't click the ads either.  But, there obviously are people that do.  Also, before I started doing online affiliate marketing, I always thought that everyone was already a member of eBay.  I mean who wasn't?  But, do you know that I average 2-3 eBay signup referrals a day?  So, just because I am a member of eBay doesn't mean everyone is and just because I don't click adsense ads doesn't mean that nobody does. wink

28. k@ri profile image84
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I have grown to love the instantaneous affirmation of writing.  I have never tried any other venue.  I have come to think of you all as my friends.  I would not like to start over.  If you leave, tell me where.  I signed on for 30 in 30, but now I doubt if I will do it.  I like to complete my thoughts and feel the readers deserve more than a tease.  I may not be cut out for blogging, but I do like to research and share!  smile

1. profile image0

K@ri, I could not agree more write for you soul and do not to sold you soul :-), ,

29. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

I didn't come to make money. I came because I figured if someone ever came by and asked me, "what do you like to do?" I would have replied, "well I enjoy writing". That person would have then asked, "well what have you written?" I would have kept quiet at that point, but six months later, I can say,"I have one hub." Then I started making friends and enemies and it got entertaining too, but now friends are leaving, I can't read what anyone is writing(too much coming in), and my enemies have decided its best just to ignore me. But at least have a hub to show I have written something.

1. D Cortez profile image61
      D Cortezposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must have written one hell of a hub to have so many fans.

I joined Hub Pages for the challenge and experience, but I'm staying for the support of fellow writers and plus I love to write.

Writing hubs is hard work, but that will only make us better.

when no one is looking I fan a million other hubbers and I came away with 479 return fan gestures. The other two people read my hub.

1. profile image0
          1. profile image0
    2. Paper Moon profile image79
      Paper Moonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

GT- You rebel  ;P

30. profile image0

question my friends, because I knew from the get go it was not for me, so I never looked into it , but what does one get as a reward if you do 30 in 30 or a 100 or what ever, besides sire fingers and hurt feelings

31. k@ri profile image84
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I understand why golden said he would not write for 30 days and if I had it to do over again, I would never have agreed.  But, I had to see if I could...I don't think I can...it is personal.  I spend too much time researching what I write...Oh well!  I can't put my name to something I am not proud of...I did it with the Funny Fish!
    It was not what I like, and although I can do it, I don't like it.    To each their own, but I must do as I see. smile

32. profile image0

well thou I've belted you and frayed you, by the living God that made you,Your a better man than I am Guga Den", I came to make money based on the quality of what I had to offer

33. profile image0

Techno screw up, thing I'll change my name to that :-)

I screw up all the time too, I blame it on my parents

34. profile image0

sometimes I think when I hear stories like this that I don't have my referrals set up correctly, I am not a technical person at all

1. Janet21 profile image81
      Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing technical about it.  You just need to add the eBay capsules to your hubs and select products.  The trick is finding the products that are going to generate a referral.  That is the hard part.

By the way, my 2-3 referrals a day are across my hubs, lenses on Squidoo and on my blog.  Not all from hubpages.

35. profile image0

Darkie you sarcasim is inappropriate, I know more about advertising and promotion than you ever will and I am not at all agree just right

Your arrogance blinds you. In so many ways.

Follow my previously posted suggestions. Or remain ignorant as well as arrogant.

1. profile image0

Guess your to arrogant to say thank you for seeing my side of it at least on some level, would that be right Darside, I also wonder where you get the screen name from?

36. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

does anyone feel like lifting a hammer anymore or are we just here on earth now to figure out code keywords? I would feel very empty I spent my life trying to figure that out.

37. profile image0

Take one to know one my friend, I have posted what I believe to be a bow to you did you not get it or could you not see it

38. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

lol golden
    well do they know what a hammer is anymore?

actually I think the babyboomers are pretty smart catching on and still remember when a floppy disc was an LP ya left out in the sun too long lol

1. profile image0
      1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

welcome to hubpages , check out the forums section in help etc ,plus ask people , which I see thats what your doing.
        Youll get it ,well little by little.
        I dont know that much myself ,but I listen alot and try o sort the fact from fluff.
        Darkside helped me before which was very much appreciated because people dont always take the time to explain things.
        Ask yourself too how you best learn
        Is it through visuals? then find info with lots of graphics
        Audio ,sound
        Forget the other one but it means do you learn best by 'doing'
        Good to meet you too .

2. goldentoad profile image61

What's an LP?

1. Misha profile image63

Naw, I know what they are, but I never bought one, I think they quit making them around the time I was born! '76

2. profile image0

LP = Last Person on HP

Good one!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And gay meant happy ...lol

39. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Respect is a fine thing, dont ya think.

40. cindyvine profile image68

LP is the Learner Profile

I thought Cindy you would say LP=Long Penis

41. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Wow I'm not getting in this mess!!!

I'd rather be fishing too.

1. profile image0

Happy Medium = Gay clairvoyant

2. profile image0

What mess would that be :-)

42. cindyvine profile image68

Okay guys, do yourselves a favour, check out Hup Challenge who has so far only managed to do 14 out of the 100 hubs.  And guess what, 4 are them are about car refinancing, all with similar info just differently worded and even the same pics have been used.  Should we flag three of them as sub-standard?  I really can't see how this is improving someone's writing which is the bullshit they're trying to pass on us.

1. sunstreeks profile image79
      sunstreeksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In what way are they substandard? If it is because the hub itself is substandard with little content, okay sure.  Is the content not unique, okay. By unique I only mean that the content is not duplicate. Text is not the exact same. Hup's articles are in no way substandard in the context of search engine friendly content.

One method of article marketing is to create many articles that are all very similar but are unique. It is an easy way for article marketers to create many articles, on the fly because they already have everything fresh in their mind, they just say it differently in each article.

My interpretation of the challenge Hup took on was to create unique articles that could make money. He found a keyword he feels he can do well by, and he's working it more then once. The content is unique, its just similar. so what. Rock on.

Sometimes I think hubpages members are spending too much time assuming that hubbers are supposed to be writing for each other. Granted some do, but the main intent of writing for a site like hubpages is to make money. If you write for the members, your not going to do as well as if you write for search engine traffic.

Also keep in mind that if the content was helpful or leads them to what they were looking for, a person finding this article through the search engine does not care that the author has written 4 or 20 articles that are all similar.

43. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Just want to say that Sandman DOES have some valid things to say.  At the end of the day, beyond the technical side of the internet--sales, promotion and marketing is the same stuff it has always been--just with a few new tools.

But I don't think you will be 'paid what you are worth,' here frankly, however, because it just isn't set up like that--if you are talking about your quality as a writer.  You need to figure out what works best in this medium and then follow those instructions and produce what works....  And it is true, at least from what I've seen about individual hubs--some are not promoted and linked up as they perhaps should be.  I don't know how they are making those choices--I'm a professional writer and think I'm within my purview saying it.  It does seem to be a bit about what seems popular at times, with Hubpage readers even, which is odd--case in point, my 'Poetry Challenge' hub.  I had published it previously--and it performed poorly.  I published it at a second time--so a specific hubber interested in poetry could see it, and for some unknown reason, it became popular the second time around--AND was promoted and linked up....  Don't think that's a fluke.

That being said, however, there are some people making money on this site.  I'd study them--Chuck, Maddie Rudd, Mark Knowles.  What I do ascertain is that you have to be writing the right stuff in order to encourage clicks--how to's, product reviews, etc.  Quick information seems to be what the outside traffic sources are most interested in.  My personal largest money makers?  Recipe hubs.  Boring to Hubpage readers, but helpful, evidently, to others.

44. vancouver profile image39
    vancouverposted 14 years ago

why leave? maybe just take a break. I love hubpages the people on here are great.

He's long gone.

45. cutedoll profile image60
    cutedollposted 14 years ago

Wow!!!
    Everybody here is so nice. I like the hubpages more and more now.

Avoid the religion sub-forum then. Otherwise you'll like it less and less.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And also avoid the politics sub-forum too...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)