Omar Khayyam had the Right Idea

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Come, fill the Cup, and in the Fire of Spring
    The Winter Garment of Repentance fling:
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly---and Lo! the Bird is on the Wing.

We are here for a short time. What is the use of wallowing in repentance? Especially in repentance of imaginary 'sins' that have harmed no-one.

Time spent being miserable, or making others miserable, is time wasted. Instead of worrying about future things we cannot know anything about, we should enjoy ourselves, and each other, now.

Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
    A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse---and Thou
    Beside me singing in the Wilderness---
    And Wilderness is Paradise enow.
    . . .
    Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
    Before we too into the Dust descend;
    Dust into Dust, and under Dust, to lie,
    Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer, and---sans End!

And to the many here that have told me - "you'll regret your unbelief when it's too late", I say, - you will regret your lost opportunities when it's too late. Enjoy life, with old Omar Khayyam.

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Zero is such a crazy concept,
      Aryabahatta taught man there is no need to regret."

So true.smile

Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know Arybahatta, but I like Omar Khayyam's philosophy.

Indian mathematician, saint, sage, philosopher considered the founder of the concept Zero. smile
          I like Omar Khayyam as well , he has a tendency to mix his alcohol with divine love. smile

Many interpretations of Omar Khayyam are possible smile

True but I see divinity in his words. smile The essence of poetry. smile

Mohit - you see divinity everywhere wink I don't follow you there, but I do see the one-ness of the cosmos, with no evidence of personal gods built in man's image.

The oneness is divinity wink All are god images and not only man and then god has no image he is the Light with no beginning and no end , permeating everything smile

2. maven101 profile image72
    maven101posted 14 years ago

A philosophy I agree with wholeheartedly...

When reading Omar I always wonder what he really wrote, before some of the rather awkward and forced rhyming was laid on...

From what I understand, he left over a thousand verses (in farsi) which were not all connected, though of course some were. Fitzgerald appears to have studied them and collated those that seemed to cohere best. Personally, I think his first version is inspired, and more poetic than his second.

I think if you had to sum up his philosophy, "a caring hedonism laced with nihilism" would come fairly close. I like his outlook.

Now, about that glass of wine...

3. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Heard of that great Persian poet a lot but never read him. I am glad you shared this great piece of poetry.

Worth reading smile You can find the famous Fitzgerald translation here:
      http://www.armory.com/~thrace/ev/siir/Omar_Khayyam.html

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
        Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

THANX Para! smile

4. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Khayam, if you are intoxicated with wine, enjoy!
    If you are seated with a lover of thine, enjoy!
    In the end, the Void the whole world employ
    Imagine thou art not, while waiting in line, enjoy!

To Enjoy is the clue, for a happy life.
    I'm an admirer of  Ommar Khayyam. Even Fitzgerald's verses are incredibly good, I prefer the tranlation from the original

Enjoying life also prolongs life. Laughter and enthusiasm are rejuvenating forces.

Can you read the original farsi? Or do you mean you prefer FitzG's original to his second version - I do too.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The translation from the original, I think it's his first translation. I don't have the book with me, because all my belongings were burnt in a fire.

OK. In fact, it's still a selective translation, because the original doesn't really exist, except as a vast legacy of Omar's fragments. But FitsG did a brilliant job on it! Sorry to hear about the fire.

Thanks ! I survived smile As I don't care for material things It wasn't that terrible. The only thing I regret  is That I lost all my paintings. All I've painted and draw during my entire life. I'm a painter and writer.

Rotten luck, just the same. I'm used to living without possessions because they are all in UK and I'm in Qatar, where I refuse to build an empire that I'd have to dismantle when I leave. Guitars though, I can't live without a guitar wink

1. earnestshub profile image81
                earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry you lost the paintings. I don't know what to say.... That is such a loss! I would feel that more than if I lost a Picasso!
                So personal...

Thanks earnest for your words. Yeah , it was terrible when it happened (last year ) I try not to think about it. Life goes on smile

5. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Anxiously I began this course
    With life my awe grew even worse
    Unwillingly returned with force
    What was the point, I ask my source.

lol smile

6. Paraglider profile image88

You'll notice, in the standard Rubaiyat
    you start off with a couplet, just like that!
    and then you have a line that doesn't rhyme
    before you rhyme the last, to finish, pat wink

But the serious point of posting this was that Omar Khayyam's philosophy of life is very hard to argue against. And I notice that so far no-one has tried?

Maybe Christians are at church big_smile

No, they're too busy turning the humorous thread into a battleground wink

lol That as well lol  And two old ladies talking about art and crafts lol

7. shamelabboush profile image51
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

O friend, for the morrow let us not worry
    This moment we have now, let us not hurry
    When our time comes, we shall not tarry
    With seven thousand-year-olds, our burden carry.

So wonderfully expressed...

8. anjalichugh profile image68
    anjalichughposted 14 years ago

We tend it understand the 'truth' and 'depth' in Khayyam's philosophy as we grow older. We tend to value fleeting moments as they slip through our fingers right in front of our eyes.

Speak for yourself. I liked  and understood Khayyam since I was a teenager. Beauty and wit is not only for old people

1. My Friend Shiyloh profile image60
        My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

love is not old
        for this I am glad
        it's beauty matchless
        stories often told

9. My Friend Shiyloh profile image60
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

that which is done in love never dies
    though many rise against it in vain
    love laughs at the enemies aligned
    sees the hatred of men and cries

10. Paraglider profile image88

These four stanzas from the Rubaiyat seem particularly appropriate for the Religion Forum:

Why, all the Saints and Sages who discuss'd
    Of the Two Worlds so learnedly, are thrust
    Like foolish Prophets forth; their Words to Scorn
    Are scatter'd, and their Mouths are stopt with Dust.
    . . .
    Oh, come with old Khayyam, and leave the Wise
    To talk; one thing is certain, that Life flies;
    One thing is certain, and the Rest is Lies;
    The Flower that once has blown for ever dies.
    . . .
    Myself when young did eagerly frequent
    Doctor and Saint, and heard great Argument
    About it and about: but evermore
    Came out by the same Door as in I went.
    . . .
    With them the Seed of Wisdom did I sow,
    And with my own hand labour'd it to grow:
    And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd---
    "I came like Water, and like Wind I go."

Because, people, our only certainty is death. Whatever we may believe about afterlives and other worlds, is so much conjecture.

But - a flask of wine, a loaf of bread, and Thou
    There's true comfort and peace there.

Beautiful and loving words. smile

Earnest - I think, when people accept the possibility that this life is all there is, that in turn opens the possibility of a true appreciation of it. And our so-called "hard-wired religiosity" is easily turned to serve poetry, art, music, or simply a love of life, love and good company.

I do agree with that. And what a wonderful way to respond these are! smile

11. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

I just couldn't resist this! This old copy is one of my prized possessions.

[The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.]

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac30/shaluka/P9070015.jpg

Thanks Shalini - that's probably the most famous stanza, or at least it's up there with "A flask of wine, a loaf of bread, and Thou". Why am I not surprised that you are also a lover of this great work? smile

2. mohitmisra profile image61

Cool words. smile The masters do have emotion and do cry. smile

12. Shalini Kagal profile image54

Thank you Paraglider smile

I guard this copy with my life - but couldn't resist taking it out and posting a picture of that page!

It looks like a very nice edition. Is it very old?

13. My Friend Shiyloh profile image60
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

Love utters nothing in vain.
    So when you hear love, it remains forever with you.
    Love does have a voice, a sound, a tone.

Silence is music ~ go study it.

~ Shiyloh ~

14. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Nice thread, Paraglider - a nice and civil appreciation of fine art and enjoying life.

Most poetry passes me by, but even I love Omar - one of the many reasons that I want to visit Iran/Persia one day. It is many, many years since I read any of his work and I do plan to return to it.

Have to work through a few more Greek dramatists, historians and philosophers, first smile

Shalini: Beautiful book and a real treasure. Do you want to swap it for an authentic Greek copy of the Iliad (Circa 2006)? big_smile

And yet, The Rubaiyat can be read in FitzGerald's translation in the space of about 20 minutes - I'm sure you can find time enough for that smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No worries - found it on Gutenberg, so will have a read in the evening with a nice glass of Retsina big_smile

That's the spirit. And here, two weeks into a dry Qatar Ramadan, the prospect of this week's trip to London & Amsterdam will come as a welcome relief smile I'm feeling like one of Omar's clay vessels:

Then said another with a long-drawn Sigh,
          "My Clay with long oblivion is gone dry:
          "But, fill me with the old familiar Juice,
          "Methinks I might recover by-and-bye!"

15. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 14 years ago

How very lovely to come onto a forum filled with poetry and civility. Makes a nice change!

Agreed smile

16. Shalini Kagal profile image54

Not very old - 1954 - but well read smile

Sufidreamer you wish big_smile

It's got all 5 editions included and best of all, illustrations by Robert Stewart Sherriffs - the Punch illustrator who also did Marlowe's Tamburlaine. Couldn't resist a couple more smile

http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac30/shaluka/P9070014.jpg   http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac30/shaluka/P9070012.jpg

I notice it's open at FitzGerald's version 2 Rubaiyat (I think). Which makes me ask, are the illustrations also different?

17. Shalini Kagal profile image54

No Paraglider - he seems to have done them for all 5 together - there are 6 in all. This one is from the 5th edition. The 'moving finger' one is from the 1st.

Interesting. Mostly I've see (and own) copies of 1st & 2nd editions. I didn't even know he'd run to 5.

18. Shalini Kagal profile image54

I only know because they're all in here - the first is my favourite!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)