Can somebody answer this once and for all

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Do 'tags' on hubpages have any affect on search engine listings whatsoever? Can I be found on google on the basis of my tags?

The information I am getting is conflicting. Hubpages say this:-

"Outside of HubPages, Tags also coincide with terms that are searched for by people using search engines, which can give your Hubs a boost in where they end up ranking."

Hubbers, some experienced are saying something like:-

"Hubpages tags are not included in metadata so are irrelevant to traffic".

I am just going to be open and honest. I have been a plonker maybe. I have been using google keyword tool and using loads of keywords for my tags, then shoving a few in my article.

Are you now going to say that the keywords in my tags have no benefits whatsoever, and it is entirely based upon what I put in my content?

In fact, It has even been said that too many tags can hurt search engine rankings? I would be very grateful if somebody could just clear this up.

Have I been a complete plonker or not? Can a hub ever be found purely as a result of a tag, if those words are not in the content?

Please advise SEO experts and very experience hubbers.

1. White Teeth profile image60
      White Teethposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not me...but I will throw out wild speculation and conjecture...because I can...I heard that tags only help with internal linking...which will help in the long run if high-PR is in the mix...tags help bring more of Hubpages to bear...but I am most likely totally wrong...

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

My tags for hubs show up as a separate listing in the search engines. So yes I do believe that you can be found in google on the basis of your tags.

Of course I can't find an example now that I'm looking for it. But I've seen a search term in google analytics and when I've popped it into google to see what hub comes up, I've had the tag listing come up.

It's late here, but the next time I find one. I'll email you the example.

This is consistent with my experience with my own blogs as well. Tags to matter to external search engines.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok great, many thanks Nelle.

Would like to see that example if you ever find it big_smile

2. viryabo profile image94
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this Nellie, could you please let me see the example too. Ive been worried about this as well, and Ryankett took the words from my mouth (keyboard!)

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Using only the most relevant tags often gets better results than using general ones.  I tend to worry about my content and make sure  it's the best I can write, and then I pick my tags so that they reflect the most relevant points and concepts.  I don't take a lot of suggestions from HubPages on tags, as sometimes those recommendations are just awful (too irrelevant).

4. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago
    1. alekhouse profile image73
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thanks for posting this link. I checked it out and found the information to be very informative and helpful

2. profile image0

Marisa, many many sincere thanks for posting this article. For the last two days I have been going through all 78 of my very very badly tagged hubs.

I am currently half way through following the advice of that article (this things are so easy when you find them, but often are not found if it were not for helpful people like you).

I have already seen increased traffic, improving hub scores, and an improving CTR. I finally understand the importance and purpose of tags, and to think that it was something so simple....

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Thats a pretty well thought out article. ^----

I would still put very little time into hubpages tags, there are so many ways to promote and optimize,so many ways to spend time, hub tags doesnt get a vote for being a worthwhile time endeavor in my opinion.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't take that long to figure out the right tags. In such a competitive world, I don't like to miss an opportunity, especially one that's so easy.

1. profile image0

Nelle, thank you for your advice too. The article Marissa posted has made me realise just how important tags are to performance, and indeed..... I am already seeing improvements over the past day or so from those hubs that I have reviewed.

Anybody that says tags are not important need to seriously read that article and then enjoy the results of their endeavours.

6. profile image52
    chucklinartposted 14 years ago

Quality, quality, quality -- it's all about quality now.  Just focus on writing good stuff and tagging it appropriately, and let the traffic follow.

7. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

I agree with Nellie Hoxie,as my tags show up in search engines also.

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ah, thanks for the confirmation. I've always believed that they matter.

But I also think that this drives home Relache's point that they should be highly relevant to the content of the hub. Spending a few minutes to get the right tags can yield great traffic results.

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

So your tracking software is showing traffic to your hubs that originated with search engine queries that led to a hubpages tag page and then your specific hub?

Seems unlikely- can you give me an example?

1. profile image0

I did not say that sunforged. Let me explain.

Previously my tags were so obscure that they did not lead to any other hubs when clicked on. Equally, the tags of other hubbers hubs would lead to a list of hubs.... which my hub would not be on.

Now, all of my tags have at least 6 or 7, normally around 20-30 other hubs with that tag here on hubpages.

There is potential for all organic traffic to each of those hubs clicking on a 'tag'. Now, after carefully selecting tags, I am competing with other hubs for that traffic.

All I can say is that my traffic has increased, my hubscores have increased, and my CTR has increased. I do not need to provide evidence of that.

Have you even bothered to read the hub that Marissa Wright recommended? Because at no stage does it say that your tags can be found by search engines. You are currently being critical of something that you appear not to have read.

1. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had a hub (which I since deleted because after a year and 22 views, it wasn't exactly setting the world on fire) that could be found via a Google search, I'd copy and paste a sentence, the result didn't actually send a person directly to the hub URL, but to a tag page. I think the tag was 'beer'.

So Search Engines can and do find tags. Though by my experience, it's not not going to set the world on fire. But I have seen tag pages of some social bookmarking sites rank highly.

Even if it didn't, they are important. Though I wouldn't go overboard or particularly fuss or fret over trying to get them perfect. I just try and keep them honest.

Tags help in other ways, in the HubPages search. Also by matching tags for the "Related Hubs" list in the right hand column.

Here's my advice on tagging your hubs.

1. profile image0

Cool, thanks for that Darkside. The hub up thread was very useful, but would be very interested in seeing your take on it... sure I will learn something new wink

One for tomorrow though me thinks, 2:15am here!

9. fayans profile image62
    fayansposted 14 years ago

Whilst having more tags doesn't actually improve your search engine visibility as Google rarely indexes HP tags - unlike WordPress, each tag does count as a relevant backlink so PR will flow from one to another, if any.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)