I just gotta ask...

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (79 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I've read so many religious posts/threads on HP it's nauseating. I mean, do you guys really, really think you're gonna convert someone or change their mind on their anti/pro-religious beliefs from some/two/three forum posts? I mean really!!!

Jesus or God or someone said "go forth and prosper" -- not "sit here and argue with everyone".

1. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True. smile

lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Lady E. I thought I was the only one on here trying to figure out what the heck they were trying to achieve!

2. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the real evidence is that it's just painful for most of us to not engage in a good argument. Apparently arguing is more important than religion, because it always come down to the argument (or so I seem to observe) Preaching is a good argument. Arguing is even better. LOL

Pass the pasta, pleeeeeze.

3. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree

If you wanna talk about your religion thats cool. But stuffing it down ones throat is not.

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to swallow so many Bible quotes. sad

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not a reason for throwing a tantrum though tongue

4. mobilephone guide profile image60
      mobilephone guideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no. i'm just here to annoy people.

And how are you going to do that ? yikes

2. lrohner profile image68

Well then, keep talking and I'll let you know how you're doing. smile

5. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What's the alphabet soup for 'grinning from ear to ear' or 'smiling so big my face might crack' or some such.  I think I have a great sense of humor, but don't seem to laugh constantly like many people on the forums. But you did make me smile very big.

I just really wanna know what's on the other end of that leash you're holding?

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

<More big smiles> A one-eyed 4 year old Boykin Spaniel, with broken pelvis and organ injury.  It was the adoption meet and greet in Knoxville.  It was 1/3 the way from Charlotte NC and IL (I was stationed at Scott AFB at the time).  It was 4 months after Miss Mocha Bean Crayne passed at the ripe old age of 15 1/2.

6. atomswifey profile image57
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do not think that I or anyone else for matter who believes and conversates here on the forums are trying to argue in hopes of converting the ones we speak to.

There are those that read too who, only read and do not conversate or join the debates.

There are those who may read and find comfort, strength or belief through the words of the believers. Just as there are people who might read and doubt us or Gods Word.

So to say we should just go forth and prosper, I would have to add, Prosper in what?
      Are we not called upon to spread the gospel as well? Is that not part of our charge by God?

As a Christian, A believer, I stand up for my beliefs. I take a stand for God and His Word. Is that wrong?
      Then if it is, I am wrong and will remain that way. smile

And they come to HubPages forums to do it? Isn't that what church groups and religious forums are for?

1. Make  Money profile image65
          Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is a Religion forum.  So it should be expected that there would be threads started about religion in this Religion forum.  Anything else in this Religion forum would be off topic which goes against the HubPages TOS. smile

Read my original question. I wasn't questioning the number of threads in the Religion forum, just the seemingly disproportionate number of religion threads overall in the HubPages forum.

1. Make  Money profile image65
              Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually I did read your original post lrohner.  And this thread is basically off topic for the Religion forum.  If you think some threads in this Religion forum are, in your own words "nauseating" then simply don't read them.

I am talking about religion. And I'm talking about religion threads. And I'm talking about how disproportionate religion threads appear to be in the HP forum. So yes. It is on topic. Would you prefer I post this in Politics? smile

I don't read them -- anymore. I did when I started, but discovered that there were way too many close-minded folks who all believe they're "right" arguing with each other. I mean, does it really make a difference what we believe in in the grand scheme of things? As long as we live a good, clean, productive life, does Allah or God or Buddha or Jehova or whoever really care whether we went to mass or attended synagogue or observed Ramadan? If there is a divine being out there, he or she wouldn't be as close minded as some of you.

1. aka-dj profile image66
                  aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He is not closed minded. He is HOLY. Once you get a grasp on that (if you can), then it becomes obvious, that there is only ONE way, and that's His way. He has already said, that our own righteousness is as filthy rags to Him. IE, NONE are GOOD enough!! That's the message. (well, the first part of the message.) Once you understand the first part, the second part makes more sense! big_smile

First off, don't start the personal crap you people are so famous for.

Second, not quite sure what you're trying to say here. Did you not read my post? Are you trying to tell me that your God would do something terrible to me when I die just because I didn't go around spouting his/her scriptures although I led and clean, productive and good life?

Hmmmm...if so, then your god isn't my God. That's for darn sure.

2. Jerami profile image59
                  Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy, end of Quote, no interpretations allowed, No amendments unless your name is GOD   NO stipulations   Can do this on a lake or next to the back yard BBQ with a beer in your hand if ya want to,

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yeah, I am up to converting all the false believers and non believers to the only true religion, pastafarianism! smile

Ooooooh...does that come with Alfredo sauce or Bolognese? smile

1. Misha profile image63

Both. But not at the same time, mind you! smile

2. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wanna join! lmao I'll take alfredo sauce please big_smile

I'll go carbonera, thankyouverymuch! smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ooh - I'm not generally a big pasta "follower"; but I do believe that Carbonara is the only one, true, religion.  Carbonara is the way to world peace.  smile

Aaaah, we are now officially sisters in Carbonarahood!

2. Misha profile image63

You can start by joining the Flying spaghetti monster fan club. http://hubpages.com/profile/Spaghetti+Monster

And yes, both sauce and red wine are guaranteed for true believers even in this life! wink

1. profile image0

I have joined big_smile

2. profile image0
          wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Haven't seen as much of the FSM as I'd hoped though, Misha?  I mean I know He's busy and all with the world's operations, but a little more forum time would suit me nicely. 

RAmen

3. secondreview profile image60
      secondreviewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that was quite funny, thanks for bringing a smile to my face.

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Amen Irohner! I am so sick of those arguing in the religion threads.

4. shamelabboush profile image51
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

Really sickening where everyone accuses everyone of being pagan or atheist and sometimes they abuse each other.

Sometimes? Geez, sometimes I think we should set up a religious violence hotline! smile

1. shamelabboush profile image51
        shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True smile

5. profile image0

Does it also include some red wine? hehehe

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

drinking mine as I write...

1. profile image0

Very nice.

6. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm so sick of it and the politics too.  If you try to post anything else, its buried under the political and religion forums.

I for one, think it is scaring people off the forums & the forums are losing the community feel.  But, free speech is what their after and beating people up with words is their game.  What gets me the most, is those who claim they are religious are spewing at other people, now really, does this go with the way of "Love thy Neighbor as Thy Self" (snickers).

Obviously, the hub staff gets a real kick out of it, or they'd have done something by now, so needless to say, its really out of hands.

So true, Jane. I mean, I'm all for debate and everything. But these threads get ugly and go on 4ever!!! What do they really think they're accomplishing?

BTW, how's your daughter doing at school?

1. Jane@CM profile image59
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is doing great...to busy to call home!  She loves it so much she is now referring to her dorm as "home".

BTW I love a good pasta sauce, I'd love to learn how to make a good white sauce and a other sauces.  So can I join the club?

Absolutely! Misha is the Pastafarian God here, though. So he has the last say! (Glad to hear everything's going well for your daughter...)

7. profile image0

lol you and Lisa are bonded forever now lol

And you? What's your sauce?

1. profile image0

I am more parctial towards alfredo...or something with roasted garlic and mushrooms Oh YUM!

8. profile image0

Which school is she attending Jane?

1. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is at the University of MN, School of Engineering (IT)

1. profile image0

Very nice!

okay now I'm starving! thanks guys. I blame Misha for starting it all lmao

9. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Oh yeah, Misha...the God of all that is Pastafaria! (Gotta keep it religious you know. We're in the religion forum.)

1. Misha profile image63

No-no, I am not the God, I am not even a high priest. Jenny, Eric, Mark - those are the guys you should blame. tongue

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I guess ask and you shall receive. smile

RAmen. smile

11. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

To answer your question, Irohner, people go onto the forums for many different reasons.  Some REALLY do want to learn the opposing views, some just want to be incorrigible, some are not sure which way they want to go as far as belief goes, etc...  I've actually learned a GREAT deal from the forums.  I've even learned things about myself (some not good, mind you).  But, I don't have any intention of conversion either way, just of understanding and even intellectual dialect.  I enjoy a lot of the people there...

12. profile image0

LOL Misha...

and you both are right Drew and tantrum. I am sick of reading Bible quotes. I didn't like reading the Bible in the past and still don't..No offense but just not my thing.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

those FIENDS (rolls eyes)

i have a wild, crazy idea. don't read those threads. or stay out of the Religion forum altogether. (told ya it was crazy)

i usually stay out of threads that i just know are going to be boring.

i hardly ever read anything that disgusts me to the point of nausea though. even if i did, i would keep it to myself.

I do stay out of them. I'm really just questioning the number of religious threads. As I write this, there are 7 religious threads out of the first 30 listed. That's 23% of the threads.

There are 24 topics that one can possibly start a thread in, and religion is only one of them. That's only 4% of the total categories.

So I ask again, why oh why are there so many religious threads here on HP?

13. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

I brought only love to the table and it got trashed. 

Many tried to  love in contempt and anger.

Left love standing there going

Some got down right  me for it.

I posted a couple of topics about love and yet they got little response because people would just rather  over religion, not realizing that it is love and not religion that God is all about.

It was quite a shock to hear people having a

All of this

Even the believers had little to no good comments about what love was saying but were off in other threads trying to get everyone to  to what they say.

So I think I can count on 1 hand the people who had good comments about love and the rest were just ever to happy to  at me instead !!!

The reason why I never got  is because I am in love with, above all things.....love.

So I wish it would all just

~Shiyloh~

lol  I love this 1 lol

14. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

big_smile

15. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59

Took an hour to make.
    All done in love. big_smile

Love is creative too. smile

and planetsmilies ! big_smile

1. My Friend Shiyloh profile image59
        My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fo sho big_smile

16. profile image0

Wow My Friend Shlyloh you said a mouthful Love the added faces to it.

17. profile image0

So Misha when is the first meeting for our new religion pastafarianism?

18. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

There are no meetings, you just pray for being touched by His Noodly Appendage, and eat spaghetti with meatballs smile

19. profile image0

OMG okay that sounded so wrong...touched by his Noodly Appendage...lol

20. Spaghetti Monster profile image60
    Spaghetti Monsterposted 14 years ago

One of you will be touched this night (in a non sexual way - unless that is your preference) by My Noodly Appendage.

The fighting over religion will continue until all have been converted to the One True Faith.

Just remember - Pasta First

Now go forth and create culinary delights with the bounty I have provided.

21. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I admire people that stand up for what they believe in, IF they really believe in it. Some people are told what is TRUE and without investigating the facts will jump on somebody else's band wagon, and scream the loudest. I also respect the protesters when they really believe they are right. But those that are protesting for the sake of making the most noise..NOT

22. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Actually the question is why are there always more religious comments on the    MOST  RECENT  COMENT  posted list. I guess we talk more.  we hardly ever post in the other sections

23. aka-dj profile image66
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

I think that many people have difficulty expressing their beliefs in the real world. This forum gives them a medium less threatening.
    I don't think it's ever about "converting".
    I think it would take WAY MORE than a few posts here to change a person's life long convictions.

24. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Proselytizing? Uh-oh...

25. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Lisa, isn't it fun to see how two competing camps are fighting to get your soul. wink

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that her soul is just fine where it is

2. lrohner profile image68

Absolutely, Misha. Cracks me up!!! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)