The high scorers really know their stuff!

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (33 posts)
  1. lewgard profile image60
    lewgardposted 16 years ago

I have noticed that the majority of the answers to the various posts I have read are by individuals with high Hub scores - and by a fairly small group of individuals, too.  So, I deduce these answers are accurate, and they know what they're talking about (at least related to the posts I have read thus far smile ).

Thanks to all.

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Not only that but very few have been members for more than 12 months on a site thats much older. How's that happen?

1. amy jane profile image72
        amy janeposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I was curious about this, so I just checked the first page of "best hubbers" - with the current group on the first page, at least 4 have been here more than a year, and two others are very close to a year. 

I have only been here four months, but have noticed that of the top ten or so hubbers, most of them are still the same people that were there when I arrived.

1. profile image0
          terrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Enough said. Hubpages was regisistered on April 22, 2001. Maybe long standing members choose not to particpate in the forums then.

1. relache profile image72
            relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

2001 was when the site name was first registered, but if you really want the story of how the company got started, all you need to do is read the Hub that was created by founder Paul Edmondson that tells the story

They started building the site in 2006.  I heard about it in the summer of 2007, when they were in beta, and wrote to Paul for an invite.  Although my profile reads that I've been here two years, after 18 months it just rounds up.  It'll really be 2 years in three more months.

There was no forum for the first year that I built on the site so none of the authors/users talked to one another, we all just did our Hub-building things in our own little bubbles.  That's probably one of the reasons you don't see as many long-time site users here:  it didn't exist when they started and it's not necessary to the Hub experience.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
              pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You can find some of the earliest Hubbers by just going to the last page of the latest Hubber's list, which is currently here:

http://hubpages.com/authors/latest/?page=2078

Some of them are still active, some not so much ...

2. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Your welcome :-)

3. vietnamese profile image66
    vietnameseposted 16 years ago

of course

4. Lissie profile image75

Thats an interesting question terryg - I don't know! I know that if you stop publishing/commenting/forum posting your score gradually goes down - but I find it relatively easy to maintain even if Im not publishing every week.

5. charlemont profile image76
    charlemontposted 16 years ago

The exact algorithms seem to be pretty complicated - which is good since it makes a hard task to manipulate the figures.

6. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Terry -

What does the length of time a Hubber has been on the site have to do with them being able to be helpful and reach out to other Hubbers who have questions and would genuinely like to know how to make their hubs better?

7. profile image0
    terrygposted 16 years ago

Maybe hubbers reach a point in time and move onto bigger and better things after they have a play at hubpages.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Like heaven? big_smile

9. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I believe it is possible to communicate with the Ascended Beings, if you play your cards right ... wink

10. premsingh profile image60
    premsinghposted 16 years ago

Hubbers with high scores participate more in forums for the reasons of maintaing high hubber score and attracting more traffic to their hubs besides helping other hubbers in finding solutions to mostly hub related problems. If I am correct the real intention of hubbers having high score is to help hubbers with less score to achieve high hubber scores.

11. Susan Ng profile image83
    Susan Ngposted 16 years ago

I'm just curious - does anyone know who the "oldest" existing hubber is? tongue

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If you remove founders, staff, and their families from the equation, it's pretty much Jimmythejock  - as far as I can recall.

12. lewgard profile image60
    lewgardposted 16 years ago

Which brings me back to my original post...The ones with high scores know the answer to an individual's query for specific information, whether it be by obtained knowledge due to length of experience, or by common sense.  IMO, these are the ones that are devoted, for lack of better word, to HubPages and really seem to like the community.

13. amy jane profile image72
    amy janeposted 16 years ago

I have seen members who have been here two years, but I don't know who they are off hand. Hubpages also went through a lot of changes in the past year, from what I understand, when they stopped allowing adult content.

The great hubbers who help out newbies are the same ones who answered my stupid questions when I started smile

14. gamergirl profile image84

I think Amy's right.  When Hubpages stopped allowing adult content, it really shifted the flow for them I believe.  I've seen it talked about a good bit on the forums.

lewgard,

We (those of us who have not been on Hubpages for terribly long, which I think terry sees as a detractor) come in all flavors, shapes and sizes.  There is a short list, in my book, of amazing Hubbers who - whether they knew it or not - helped me figure things out, helped me to understand a little better how to organize my Hub content before hitting that publish button.  Some of these folks joined around the time I did.  Some of them have only been here a month or three.  Stephhicks is one of my favorite hubbers, and just look how she's doing.  She's a ray of sunshine on the forums, has a large retinue of superb hubs, and is an all around great person.  I think she's been here maybe 3 months.  *running off of memory here.

Then you've got people like Inspirepub/Jenny, who - even though she peddles weird e-books, is highly intelligent, extremely helpful, and a total sweetheart as well.

My point is - there are a lot of people who just get it and spread their understanding of the way Hubpages is and should be (based on the criteria provided by HP themselves) to anyone who has a genuine and community-minded need to know.  Sure, we all would like to make some extra money through the various avenues presented by the site, but beyond that is a spirit of commitment to our works and each other. 

****the preceding ramblings brought to you by the 'Gamergirl has no money for caffeine foundation'

15. Lissie profile image75

I think there has been a few babies born too which would slow your hp output down a bit !

16. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image63
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

As of next month, I'll have been with HP for a year. My hub production has slowed in the last couple of months, due to a crazy pregnancy and some writing and editing gigs that (happily!) kind of came from nowhere. Someone mentioned  that longterm hubbers eventually move on to greener pastures. Not everyone. I still check the forums every day, even if I don't post, and I still read my favorite hubbers. I think those who see HP only as a stepping stone to better things will never really be that successful here, because their hearts aren't in it. That sounds kind of schmaltzy, but it's true. Most of the high-ranked hubbers are also very invested in the community, and I think that's one of the nicest things about HP.

Just my two cents smile

17. seamus profile image58
    seamusposted 16 years ago

One of the reasons I like this community is the willingness of people to answer questions. I certainly had (and still have) my share of newbie questions.

1. firetown profile image61
      firetownposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Totally, I was first pissed and felt like everyone was on my ass just to mess with me, but now I see things differently. Maddie rules. I tried to sweet talk her, but she didn't go for it. I respect fairness. smile

18. Ponderize profile image59
    Ponderizeposted 16 years ago

I joined a few months ago and have only posted a few articles as I'm still just finding my way around this community.  A lot of things I could have written about seem to be already over saturated, so I didn't see where I could add value.

On the other hand, the more random articles I've posted haven't generated much interest on their own. So I've been reading a lot more advice from top hubbers and it's really great you all are so helpful.

One thing I'm still unclear about - does being active on the forums directly impact your hubscore?

1. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well I just went to your profile and looked at a couple of your hubs--I like your stuff--and I like that you write on a broad range of subjects too.....looking forward to more.smile

1. Ponderize profile image59
        Ponderizeposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much Robie2 for the encouragement!

19. gamergirl profile image84

Ponderize - from what I've noticed, the more you participate overall, the better your author score.  Of course, the better your content, the better your score also.

wink  Hey, as long as you're not a spammer, you shouldn't have to worry about anything.  ((I'm not accusing you of anything.))

20. Ponderize profile image59
    Ponderizeposted 16 years ago

Thanks! No worries, I can't stand spammers myself smile

21. gamergirl profile image84

big_smile Glad to know!

22. charlemont profile image76
    charlemontposted 16 years ago

I contacted a website owner for the permission to use his photos, and got a bunch delivered to my email wink It turned up to be that easy to add quality photos to a hub! big_smile
    My score has never been over 94 yet, but I'm getting used to be around the "90" figure wink

23. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 16 years ago

Intersting thread...
    Personally i find all answers good amd helpful no matter what the scores of answerers are,,,, the Hubpages forum is an excellent place to find answers for everything and i would trust Hubopages than , say, yahoo answers for example it's also much easier to ask a question here than trawling through the W.W.W to find a galaxy of info that just does not help!

24. Sibaire profile image60
    Sibaireposted 16 years ago

Yeah, the high-scoring hubbers have really earned their hubscore. They deserve it through the sheer amount of work they do, publishing new hubs, staying active in the forums, and all of this on top of their everyday lives.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)