Worth Sweating A Single Accidental Ad Click?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I accidentally clicked on one of the ads on a Hub of my own tonight--did that one other time, more than a year ago (I think), and that time I went through the whole rigamarole of notifying Google what a bad boy am I. 

Since then, though, I seem to recall seeing a "post or three" opining that Google wasn't going to get all het up over just one fumble.  Anybody know for sure?

Irony:  I bounced my wireless computer mouse off the lineoleum floor and into the cats' water dish earlier this evening.  The ad was for super-discounted computer mice.  I'd actually placed an order before realizing...lol

If I do get banned, maybe it wouldn't be all bad.  They said they'd sent my check 3 weeks ago; no see-um so far!

2. sunstreeks profile image80
    sunstreeksposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the click.

I usually get my check at the end of each month.

If you still do not have yours, I would request a re-issue.

---> my account
    -----> Payment history

-------> bottom right is a link to request your check be reissued.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

My adsense is working fine ghost, and I am a bit mouse crazed, having accidentally done this about a dozen times.
    So based on my puny empirical evidence you should be ok. smile

4. profile image0

Thanks, y'all.  Kind of what I figured.  'Course, I'm unquestionably a bit more laid back just lately due to not being quite as broke as we were all summer...big_smile

Yeah, I should get around to requesting a reissue.  Someday.  Probably.  After checking to make SURE I got my address shifted over on the right page of my account from Colorado to Arizona, that is....  (Actually 99.9999 percent sure I did, but even so.)

5. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

No worries at all.  I have been receiving payment for almost 3 years now from Adsense and on more than one occasion I screwed up and clicked an add on my page.

They know the difference between fraud and accident and at the end of the day you just will not get credited for the click.

Its as simple as that.  I had to ask for a reiisue once and it was relatively painless.  I like it now that it goes right into my bank account.

6. profile image0

Shucks, Dale, I hadn't even noticed that Google had the direct deposit option. 

I checked my Payment History page and will need to wait a little longer before requesting the reissue.  Check will probably show up by then.  Wouldn't be the first time the Pony Express got waylaid by Comancheros out here in the desert....

7. profile image0
    rethansmithposted 14 years ago

Don't sweat the accidental clicks.  A post on the adsense blog (adsense.blogspot.com) addresses this.

The Google humans and software alike have a pretty good handle on accidental clicks and clicks with an intent to game some money from Google.  If they see that you clicked one of your own ads and they deem it as an accident they will just nix any credit for the click.

If they banned everyone who has accidentally clicked on of their own ads I am sure their publisher base would be significantly smaller than what it is now...ha.

8. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

oooo...I'll have to make sure that I don't accidently click on my own ads...didn't know about that. thanks guys. and lol Ghost just say oops and move on to the next. big_smile

9. Rhianni32 profile image69
    Rhianni32posted 14 years ago

I doubt they would do anything. They arent worried about the one click but the people doing it multiple times every hour every day

10. Cynicist profile image61
    Cynicistposted 14 years ago

Yes. The police are on their way as we speak. I suggest you grab anything you can and you and your loved ones go and lay low for a while. My Cousin got 15 in the slammer for this. Good luck friend.

11. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

I agree with Dale, and would not worry about 1 click.
    If 1 click out of 100 comes from a single ip address, I can't see a problem.
    If 80 clicks out of 82 clicks come from the same ip address, I see a big problem.
    smile

12. Cynicist profile image61
    Cynicistposted 14 years ago

Just kidding man. I doubt they will even check if you click unless you are making funny money. I think if it mattered they
    would have notified you.

Carpet Diem, cool name.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)