Fresh content is a lot of bunk

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I've read a whole bunch on here about needing ever-changing and fresh content to keep blogs/hubs/sites on top of the search engines. I think it's a lot of bunk.

I have a blog that gets approx. 50k pageviews per month with no marketing driving it. It's all organic searches and traffic from referring sites via backlinks (mostly organic searches). It's been in the #1 spot on Google for a couple of years for its primary keyword, and if you check the date of the last post, I haven't posted (or really done anything else) since August of 2008. I don't want to put the link here, but if you Google (in the US) 'make ahead meals', the #1 result should have the number 100 in it and it should be a blogger blog.

So why have I been going crazy going back to my hubs and making changes and adding RSS feeds? Am I crazy? Anyone else have any input on fresh content?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the point is, if you've got a good evergreen topic, you don't really need to keep adding fresh content.  Other stuff needs a boost.

However, I don't think that means you keep having to go back and revise Hubs.  If you have a News capsule and eBay capsules, they're constantly refreshing with new content on their own, and the thinking is that that's enough.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nobody knows for sure, except a very few people inside BigG. Yet I think I agree to you. smile

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

irohner, I had a look at your blogspot blog. It provides excellent recipes for made ahead meals, with great layout and pictures of the food. I think it stays on top because that is where it deserves to be. Maybe Google algorithms work really well! lol

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Two autumns ago, I had a Hub where the content was lifted and posted to someone's blog.  And from there, it got posted to dozens of blogs.  I was pretty upset, and the thought of having to send out so many NOIs was sort of overwhelming.

So I decided to re-write my Hub.  It got a total content face-lift.  And then I suddenly had about 30,000 pageviews in one day on that fresh Hub.

So, while really good, evergreen content doesn't necessarily need to be re-written and can hold its own very well, having freshened and relevant content when a topic is hot can be extremely beneficial.

Thanks for sharing, Relache. It just demonstrates - you may be think a Hub's doing well and therefore "fresh content is a lot of bunk", but you don't know how much better it MIGHT do with fresh content, unless you try.

2. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Relache!!! Congrats, and thanks for validating that I don't need to keep going back and tweaking stuff. I was getting kind of tired of doing it already! smile

Funny, I read it the other way - after all, she tweaked it and it gained her a lot of traffic.  But if you're saying it's not necessary to tweak constantly, I'd certainly agree with that.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I don't tweak my Hubs all the time, just when it's relevant.  The example I gave happened to coincide with a surge of interest in that particular Hub, which is why the content got ripped off in the first place.

5. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I've tried it both ways and have yet to see a benefit of tweaking my Hubs--the good ones stay on top, and the not so good ones don't do much better no matter how much facelift they get.  But I freely admit that NONE of mine are raking in the numbers of views y'all seem to take as a matter of course.  For one of mine, an average of 50 views a day is really,  really good.  So it's quite possible I'm just not playing in the same ball  park.  What does a Little Leaguer know about hitting a 100 mph fastball?

6. greenniche profile image58
    greennicheposted 14 years ago

Very new content is treated as news and given top billing for a short term..hence something like 30k views in a hot topic.

Wouldnt work with "where to but used q-tips" or other not so hot topics..but maybe a hub about costumes around halloween.

Has anybody seen any definitive proof that ebay and rss feeds are treated as new content? last I read the format in which its served isnt read by googlebots.

You dont see any of that html in the page source

7. Deborah-Lynn profile image60
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

So does it take time for a good blog to catch on or do you now immediately it isn't going anywhere?

Yes, it definitely takes time.  For instance, most people earn almost nothing on HubPages in their first three months (although that's not blogging, but it is writing on the internet).

8. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Its possible to great traffic when publishing from hubpages, immediately! because your hub can be  treated as news.

But that spike is not something you can judge a hub/blog/article on, the hub will be reranked according to where it belongs in the scheme of things...itc ould disappera, it could move to page 2, it could stay right in position 1.

marisa is right, give something at least 3 months to get a good handle of its traffic generating abilities...you could always help it gain traffic

Look into

Keyword selection
    keyword optimization
    search engine optimization
    evergreen content
    social bookmarking
    social media marketing
    backlinks

Here at hubpages:

Selecting tags
    Hub formatting
    Hub Score

9. Dale Nelson profile image38
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Hi Ironher,

I got to agree with you there.Quality will always be quality.If something works well, why mess with it. The font for your blog just jumps out at you when you read and having the selection categories right there when you reading is perfect.Not surprised i gets 50k visits.

10. ChrissyDean profile image69
    ChrissyDeanposted 14 years ago

I have seen a few blogs that have not been updated in a year or more and are still on the top of Google results pages.  From what I've seen, they are either really well laid out  with tons of information, or they are on a search so obscure that there is really no competition from them.  I search for odd things and take mental notes of what seems to work out there.

Personally, I update my blogs because I like to and can't get enough on the subjects.  As for hubs, I am not very good at them right now. hmm  So I revise them and add things here and there as I learn tips and tricks!

11. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

I just went through all my hubs over the last two days (and VERY long nights, LOL) and overhauled the tags/keywords and tweaked them for SEO. I also added some content where necessary.

Just tweaking the keywords alone resulted in increased traffic in only one day - I haven't seen so many red triangles since some of that content was created. Also the Hub Metrics potential increased spectacularly.

...and I haven't even seriously addressed links, back-links, and lots of other stuff yet.

Thank you Lisa for all your help and Relache for the great hubs and forum threads I am following.

You are the best!

I am still at a very beginner level here but expect to learn lots from the best here!
    big_smile
    Elle

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are entirely welcome. Now get some sleep! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)