Is support for Israel good for US relations in the World?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (75 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image71
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

After 60 years of unbridled support for Israel is it time to turn them loose and let them stand on their own?  What affect could it have with our relations to the rest of the world?

2. egiv profile image60
    egivposted 14 years ago

It's bad for relations with Arab countries, but good for overall United States strategy. I think Obama is doing well to keep them in check right now, as they have had too much power and influence in the government since '48. However, "turning them loose" will never happen, and I would not support it.

3. Pr0metheus profile image59
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

They have nukes... They hate the rest of the region they're in.  I hope to god we don't "let them loose".

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're smart

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If the threat of Israel having nukes neutralizes the issue of continuing to support them what about Pakistan and India.  These are two very volatile regions with less common sense than most other nuke holding nations.  Israel is in the same detente situation most everyone else is in.  If Israel nukes anybody in the region then they will have to deal with the fall out both politically and physically.

1. profile image0

I was actually being sarcastic!

2. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That was amazingly intelligent! Way to go!

3. Pr0metheus profile image59
        Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you're a douche.

Practice safe sex, and go f*** yourself.

1. profile image0

You are so well educated, how did that Florida recount happen again? Gore won and Bush asked for a recount? You're smart!

1. ledefensetech profile image69
            ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You won, he's down to personal insults now.  Wave bye, bye to the troll.

1. profile image0

I won just by being me

That's usually how it'd done.

2. Pr0metheus profile image59

Sorry, the Florida supreme court asked for it.  Why are you bringing other thread's shit here?  You're just like the rest of the conservative nutbags.

1. profile image0

You're smart

1. Pr0metheus profile image59

I know.

1. profile image0

The Democrat Supreme Court asked for a recount on behalf of Bush? Really? Care to clarify?

Did I say that?  I only remember saying the supreme court asked for the recount, not Bush.

2. profile image0

Ok winner how old are you? I only ask because you cuss like a teenager.

2. profile image0

Can I get some of that action?

1. profile image0

Go for it

Apparently this thread just degenerated into a conservative circle jerk.

1. profile image0

Don't you like us?

1. profile image0

I think he ran away to get a clue

Only when you guys are having a circle jerk.  I dropped one response with an f bomb to a guy who's proven himself to be a Texan hick.  I'm way past my teenage years.

1. profile image0

This "hick" is way smarter than you can ever hope to be!

2. profile image0
  4. Dark knight rides profile image59
    Dark knight ridesposted 14 years ago

I don't think at this point it hurts the US to support them. Relations are getting strained, and I think the US needs to apply a little more pressure to get Israel to really work on a solution to the Palestinian issue. As far as "they hate the rest of the region", I don't believe that's true, Israel has made overtures for peace, and each time they agree to a cease fire, its the Palestinians who end up breaking it. The Arab nations need to realize that the Israeli's are there to stay and the US must be able to support that. If we were to turn out backs on them, I think that would hurt the worlds view of the US more than our support.

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The role the US has been playing in the Middle East has been a costly and never ending story.  The Israelies seem predisposed to not settle the disputes.  The shaky trusses that have been set up in the region are constantly put to the test by both sides.  When there is no conflict there are expansion settlements created. When there is conflict it is brought to the attention of the world because of the violence.  What can be done to stop this and should we continue to have a role in it?

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

We are in dire need of sarcasm smiley smile

1. profile image0

Dryer without one

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Yeah, I guess HP staff thinks the same lol

7. ledefensetech profile image69
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

At most we've been supporting then for only 30 years.  That's what the whole embargo thing in 1973 was about.  Before then the IDF had to be very good because their enemies were supplied with the latest in Soviet arms.  Heck during their war for independence they took on the combined armies of five Arabic countries and still managed to survive.  They don't really need our help, much as they welcome it.

Part of the problem is that this has become a multi-generational fight.  Few, if any, of the people involved today remember the origins of the modern phase of this conflict and there are so many others who use the Israeli and Palestinian people for their own domestic purposes that neither side can get a fair shake.

That being said, they are one of the only countries in the region which share most of our beliefs on civilization and society in general.  It would be madness not to support them.  The day the Arab countries start extending liberty to their nations, that will be the day we extend the olive branch, not before.  And that day could arrive much quicker than most realize.  Communication technology took down the Soviets and is slowly working its magic on tyrants the world over.

1. profile image0

Ok! Now you're talking!

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Frankly, I think everybody will be better off if you leave them alone. Eventually it will happen anyway, when USA economy crashes you won't have money to support them anymore. smile

Don't be too sure.  How long did the USSR limp along before they finally collapsed?  I figure the economic boost we gave Stalin during the War lasted till about, oh 1960 or so, after that the US began pulling ahead economically.  Not that the Soviet military didn't give us fits.  The anti-air defenses they loaned to the Arabs really caught us by surprise.  It was nothing like what was given to the North Vietnamese.  At any rate, you're right, leave them alone and let them work it out for themselves.  Had that been done in the beginning, who knows how much death, misery and destruction could have been averted.

9. ledefensetech profile image69
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Heh, one thing you'll find in short supply is moderation when talking about the Palestinian and Israeli conflict.  Ever notice how the conflict has expanded.  It used to be between Israelis and Palestinians, but now it's about the Arabs and Israelis.

More people meddling where they shouldn't be.

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I absolutely fail to see what all this has to do with Israel lol

But keep going guys, it's entertaining smile

2. ledefensetech profile image69

Well they're fighting like they're Israelis and the Palestinians. 

lol

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Israelis always win lol

1. profile image0

I would be Israel responding to an idiot bomb!

I'm one of them there "ignorant Texans!"

1. Misha profile image63

You have to keep civil though, or UN bans you for 3 days lol

1. profile image0

I got that. Did you read his brilliant rebuttals?

1. Misha profile image63

Oh, absolutely, Palestinians already earned their ban several times over lol

You mean like "you're smart", and "you are so educated", and "you are so intelligent", and "I won by being me"

1. profile image0

You're smart

2. Aya Katz profile image84
          Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Israelis are Palestinians and Palestinians are Israelis.

Is that kind of like the Irish are English and the English are Irish?

2. Misha profile image63

I don't think all Palestinians and Israelis think the same. But some definitely do. smile

11. Pr0metheus profile image59

Once again, read my response in this thread.

1. profile image0

That response is equally wrong! Do you have any idea how it happened? No!

I was young, don't really remember it clearly.  I don't really care to learn, it holds no bearing.  The comment was more to get you to shut up.

1. profile image0

I'm feeling like you don't love me any more.

2. profile image0

Only thing you succeeded in is proving you shouldn't get involved in adult conversations. Now run along before I school you on how the real world works!

Or I shouldn't get involved in conservative circle jerks....

And I know I'm smart, thanks... my history sucks, but who cares.

At least I'm not a Texan.

1. profile image0

Thank God for that!

2. profile image0
              1. profile image0

You got no horns boy!

1. profile image0

But he's smart, just ask him!

My job requires quick learning and a pretty high level of intelligence.  My SAT scores reflect my intelligence, and I didn't even study for them.  How does a volley of sarcastic attacks prove your intelligence?

Get off your high horse, we're all driving cars now.

2. profile image0

I want to be special will you write me my own, please?

12. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Anyway, to answer the question: the U.S. should stay out of the middle east entirely, for its own sake, and also, for Israel's.

13. Pr0metheus profile image59

With sarcastic insults about unrelated topics? Not really pushing.... More like taunting.  You remind me of Rush.

1. profile image0

You remind me of a bag of hair as in "as smart as!"

You're witty.

1. profile image0

You're not!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)