Christianity: People Don't Send Themselves to Hell, God Sends Them.

Jump to Last Post 251-277 of 277 discussions (1185 posts)
  1. Fairbear profile image57
    Fairbearposted 14 years ago

This looks like a good time to point out yet another glaring contradiction that is currently riding under the surface in this thread.

On one hand, Christians talk about God wanting people to choose Him freely rather than forcing them to choose Him.

But on the other hand they talk about God making the consequences of not choosing Him so horrible and painful that no one in their right mind who knew about them would dare not choose God.

This contradicts. God wants people to choose Him freely, and then He tries to scare them into choosing Him?

I wouldn't want anyone to choose me just because they were afraid of the alternative. That wouldn't be a choice for me. That would merely be a choice against the alternative. It wouldn't be genuine.

1. atomswifey profile image57
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You would think so right????
      And yet, even knowing of those consequences man still CHOOSES the consequence!

And the opposite choices to that consequence are freedom, everlasting life, an eternity without pain, without auffering, without death, without illness or grief, without pain, without evil, without liars, without murderers and thieves, without ugliness, lving only with perfect beauty, living for all of eternity in a perfection so glorious man cannot even imagine it!

To believe in that choice, to believe in the one who has created all of that for us? WOW what a hard choice to make there! LOL

yep not genuine at all to accept and believe in Him. LOL LOL LOL

You really think all come to believe based on the consequence, but fail to point out the reward!
      If you only had the consequence, there would be no choice!

Our faith, our love for God comes not from fear of any consequence for it is by that faith we are free from it. Rather our love, our faith comes from the reward He promises. A life with Him in all its perfection.
      We love God, because He first loved us so much that even in all of our sin, all of hatred, all of our lust and greed, He loved us so very much he prepared a place for us in Heaven. That to gain access all that is required is for us to believe in Him, to love Him, to accept His pardon, His grace, His forgiveness.

Now what on earth could be sooooo wrong or not genuine about believing in Him for that reason?

Knowing and admitting that You do not know better than He. That you are a sinner and guilty of those crimes. And that even in all of that God sees you coming to Him. He asks for you to believe and accept His reward.
      Is that so hard a choice for you to make?

Fairbearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How convenient for you to change keys now, when not too long ago you were making the case for choosing God based on fear of the consequences. You even start this post off on that note and then shift to describing all the good things about choosing God.

If you're asking me personally why I don't choose to be a Christian, I'll tell you. It's like this:

I see a group of people who call themselves Christians.
        I see a book called the Bible, which, for all I can tell, is just an elaborate work of fiction.
        That's all I see when I think about Christianity.
        I see no God, no sin, no Jesus, no Heaven or Hell, and I see no problem.
        So I'm just being true to myself and calling it how I see it.
        I guess if you want to call my being true to myself a choice against God, then have it your way. But I'm only being myself. I'm only being honest with myself. I look into myself to see if I believe in what you believe in, and I find that I simply do not. It's not a choice to me. It's just the way it is. In order for me to be a Christian, I would have to make an effort to convince myself that it is true. To me, that would be deceiving myself. I naturally don't believe it, and that's what I go with --my natural self. I didn't choose who I am. I just am me. And that's all I care to be.

2. LiamBean profile image80
      LiamBeanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Count me on the "not in his right mind" crowd. And the very contradictions you point out are the things that caused me to study religion for so long before coming to the conclusion that it's all claptrap.

As to the "free choice" question Christian legislation wants you to have a free choice; between prison and what they deem lawful. Even if what "they" deem lawful flies directly in the face of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree with this. I would like to add that
        without the fear of a god made hell/satan the religionist has nowhere to go with his fear, as he has no delusional good that can save him from anything, so up comes the fear of death again. The teaching of religion always has fear of the deity enforced in it's tomes. The psychology of religiosity guarantees it! smile

1. LiamBean profile image80

There's something truly sad about a threat of eternal damnation to get people to do the 'right thing.'

Guess I had better upbringing. The golden rule being my primary guide. "Do to others as you would have done to you."  A truly simple thing to remember and apply to everyday life.

"Do unto others" may not be too good if you applied it to say Count Sade, or some of the extremists here! smile You never know what some people would think was ok to have done to them! smile

2. atomswifey profile image57

Those are not the choices
        The choices are life or death, heaven or hell
        God made a place for us in Heaven just as much as he created hell

It is a reward or punishment system. God is willing to reward and is just in his punishment.

You don't want to accept and believe that is your choice.

I like other believers have died to self. We turned away from sin knowing that we are guilty of it. We believe for many reasons. We did not start to believe out of fear alone, but out of the important part of the message we recieved, which was not hell, but the gift of life, salvation through His son.

The fact is, you and others can twist your interpretation of Gods laws, of sin, of God Himself. And just as you deny Him now, so He will deny you then. There are no excuses for you in your disbelief.
        You can argue these points with God someday. You I am sure will try to excuse yourself out of the mess you may find yourself in with Him.
        But remember this
        EVERY knee will bow, and EVERY tongue will confess That Jesus Christ is LORD!

But you go ahead and believe in yourself right now if you are so willing. Try to convince God Himself that it is YOU who can save yourself, your soul. Try to reason your way with Him how that is even possible, considering that Jesus was the sacrifice for your sin, being pure and sinless. Are you then going to be able to PROVE that you are pure and sinless? I think not.

I am done with this conversation now. I grow tired of it.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
          mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Try to convince God Himself that it is YOU who can save yourself, your soul.
          Its is you who can save your soul by meditating .
          There are many masters who sacrificed themselves for truth and not only Jesus.Please read about other religions and prophets to expand your knowledge.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
            Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You say that but, somehow I don't believe you actually mean it.

That is your choice and I DO respect it. However, I have heard all the proselytizing I care to and grow quite tired of the biblical language and particularly tired of the superior tone it's delivered in.

This is what I mean. I twist nothing. But many of the Christians I encounter, who claim to live in the word of god, twist that very word to suit themselves.

Just because you've had a jacked-up life doesn't mean that I have. Tend to your own messes. Stop assuming that I myself am a mess. It's highly insulting of you to assume so much when you know so little. It is particularly galling that you insist that it's your way or the highway. Your superior tone is telling. It tells me you have a great deal more "house-cleaning to do before you've earned the right to tell me or anyone else how to keep their house. It's not just your way or the highway. Deal with it.

Once again a superior tone that you've not earned. How amusing.

1. mohitmisra profile image60
            mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very nice LiamBean smile This guy has no idea about god.

3. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're taking the consequence out of context. God also commands us to love, and love is not motivated by the cowering, shaking in our boots kind of fear.

You're right to say that love is a motivation. That means I already love without being commanded to.

And why, pray tell, should I follow God's command to love?

1. Valerie F profile image60

Because you'll live better in this life and the next, enable others to do likewise, and there's no good reason why you shouldn't. Like I said before, the rules were put in place for our own good.

Does the "love" require us to continue to listen to the same thing over (and over [and over]) again?

I think not.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I love Santa!....

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You been good Misha, ahem

He only comes to good lil boys n girls big_smile

3. My Friend Shiyloh profile image61
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

Mercy wonders
    if you spend your lifetime giving love to all
    will you find yourself in "hell"
    when you return to dust ?

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

People don't send people to heaven either...

5. atomswifey profile image57
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

To LiamBean:

Me: You don't want to accept and believe that is your choice.

You: You say that but, somehow I don't believe you actually mean it.

Me: No I do mean it, is it not your choice? Of course it is thats the whole point of the topic

Me: I like other believers have died to self. We turned away from sin knowing that we are guilty of it. We believe for many reasons. We did not start to believe out of fear alone, but out of the important part of the message we recieved, which was not hell, but the gift of life, salvation through His son.

You: That is your choice and I DO respect it. However, I have heard all the proselytizing I care to and grow quite tired of the biblical language and particularly tired of the superior tone it's delivered in.

Me: Did you mean in your "tone" to sound surperior there? I did not in any way meant to "sound" lol superior to anyone. I was using my life, my belief system as an example that just as you and other nonbelievers I am a sinner, I am guilty. The difference between the two of us is I along with other believers have made that choice to die to ourselves. Not that we do not sin ever, we do, but that we have chosen to not do what it is in our will to do but God's. Does that make us superior or better than you, the nobeliever? No. It makes us equal in sin BUT I would say better off than you in the long run of things as they pertain to Gods law, Gods judgement etc.

Me: The fact is, you and others can twist your interpretation of Gods laws, of sin, of God Himself. And just as you deny Him now, so He will deny you then. There are no excuses for you in your disbelief.

You: This is what I mean. I twist nothing. But many of the Christians I encounter, who claim to live in the word of god, twist that very word to suit themselves.

If you have encountered Christians that have done that, I feel that to be wrong.
    The scriptures stand on their own. They are what they are. And no manner of twisting is going to divert from the truth it holds. Regardless of who it is that is attmepting to twist it.

And as far as you "not twisting anything"? I think you do and are in this very forum.
    You take the scriptures and twist them to mean something they do not. You have taken the scriptures and twisted them to make a case against God. How is that not twisting anything?

You can argue these points with God someday. You I am sure will try to excuse yourself out of the mess you may find yourself in with Him.
    But remember this EVERY knee will bow, and EVERY tongue will confess That Jesus Christ is LORD!

Me: But you go ahead and believe in yourself right now if you are so willing. Try to convince God Himself that it is YOU who can save yourself, your soul. Try to reason your way with Him how that is even possible, considering that Jesus was the sacrifice for your sin, being pure and sinless. Are you then going to be able to PROVE that you are pure and sinless? I think not.

You: Just because you've had a jacked-up life doesn't mean that I have. Tend to your own messes. Stop assuming that I myself am a mess. It's highly insulting of you to assume so much when you know so little. It is particularly galling that you insist that it's your way or the highway. Your superior tone is telling. It tells me you have a great deal more "house-cleaning to do before you've earned the right to tell me or anyone else how to keep their house. It's not just your way or the highway. Deal with it.

The mess I was refering to was the mess you would have created with God, if you do not accept Him, His laws etc.!
    I have not had a "jacked up life" as you put it. I love the life God gave me.

But here we see that you have twisted and do twist even my words. I cannot see your life, I do not have to know you either to know that you are a nonbeliever. That alone makes you vulnerable to a mess with God.

But you are choosing not see that because of your disbelief, your pride.
    You feel that I somehow attacked you there. But I did not, you came on the defensive to try to excuse yourself and draw attention to me and my life which you as well are not privey to.

It does not take rocket science to see that in your own words you write you are nonbeliever. Again, that does cause a mess where God and His laws are concerned.

You feel somehow that you are above the standard God has set. That you can not possibly be "a mess" with Him. That your life could not possibly have been made a mess through your disbelief, simply because you have chosen not believe. But the truth is, regardless of what you believe now, someday you will realize the error you have made there and too you will see the mess that you have created in your disbelief.

And this not as you put it "my way or the highway". It is Gods way or the highway! You will not stand before me or any other believer in that place of judgement, you will stand in front of God!

If you really read and did not twist what I wrote there you will see that I said " excuse yourself out of the mess you may find yourself in with Him." With who? HIM! and I even went so far as to put it in the context of "YOU MAY or in other words, MIGHT". As we all have the ability to choose to believe. Even you though now you doubt and disbelieve may one day prior to that judgement, accept and believe.

snipped because it's so wasteful to quote that entire thing

I thought you'd "grown tired" of this conversation.

Sheesh!

6. Fairbear profile image57

atomswifey:

I thought you said you were done with this conversation.

I guess you didn't mean it.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She does lie a lot. I understand that is a christian moral value....... From god. Like it says in the bible. Lying is OK if it is for their own good..........

Since they are automatically and perpetually forgiven one sees a lot of this sort of thing.

God knows when people are sincerely repentant and when they're just abusing the privilege of forgiveness.

A lot of us know it too.

2. Valerie F profile image60

It does not say that in the Bible. If you see something wrong with lying, why do it yourself? That only makes you a hypocrite.

If you think you're so much better than the rest of us, it would help your case to act like it.

LOLOL

I am just doing as you guys keep asking me to. Make your mind up - are you doing unto others or not? I am all confused. lol

I'm not laughing at you. I'm not mocking you, and I try to avoid deception. Unlike someone who tells outright lies and then complains when he thinks anyone else is being less than honest. I'm even bothering to try to be nice to you because that's exactly how I wish you'd treat me.

You are fooling yourself. All I am doing is offering you a mirror, but you are pretending it is a window.

Tell me - do you believe every word in the bible?

Not your interpretation. And funny thing about that mirror- I still can see right through it.

Oh Mark. You've just whipped out the "loaded question." Awesome!!!

I have my ready reference to Deuteronomy handy.

LOL - This one will avoid that question - because like all the others - she just takes the bits she likes and conveniently wishes away the bits she does not. wink

Yes I suppose a pot could call a kettle black Mark.

I think rather though it is you who take bits of scripture and conveniently wishes away the parts you do not like, or do not fit into your world.

The Bible was and is inspired by the Holy Spirit and yes every word of it!
                    There is no deception or lies contained in it, because it is ALL truth and honesty.

For anyone to take it apart and dissect it to come up with any other conclusion, they are only then deceiving  and or lying to themselves.

3. atomswifey profile image57

I said I was done having the conversation and or debate with fairbear. I was directing my response to her. That isw obvious as I quoted her.

And how can you say that I have lied even once Mark?!
        Yet alone to accuse me of lying a lot!

To lie one must state something which is inaccurate, a false hood, misleading etc.
        I have not stated anything which is any of that.
        You show me how and where you come to that conclusion.

just because you do not believe what I have stated does not make any of what I stated a lie, misleading, inaccurate, or false!

So again, I ask you, where is it that I have lied, even once.

Actually, when you said that, you were responding to LiamBean. Not me.

Oh, and I'm not  "her"     I'm a "he"

not that you had any way of telling

I apologize for saying it was you fairbear.
            And no I did not know you are male neither more than the one who claimed me as being a HE.

But the topic for this conversation remains the same, I have not lied or been misleading to anyone.

7. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

I have answered you. Hell is permanent estrangement from God, from love, from goodness, from happiness. Everything else is details that could be completely symbolic. It's the separation from God, love, and every other good thing that's as bad as it can get and, in my opinion, makes a symbolic lake of fire seem tolerable by comparison.

Ok, let me try something else. I know you know what I'm asking you, but you're still avoiding a direct answer.

Answer this please:

Is Hell unbearable?

yes or no?

I think it's a silly question. Exactly what would or should anyone find bearable about eternal separation from all goodness? Of course it's unbearable.

But some people may choose it anyway.

1. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Look Mark, Hell is total darkness no light. No light to see or read by, no light to see beauty or love, no light to think just darkness, no light to inspire, no light to give hope, no light to recognize a friend. Why would you sacrifice all that is good for pride? C'mon repent! Then you can observe and write about life from the other side of the street. A whole new perspective! In fact you could be the first to defend and attack your own positions!

All those flames provide no light at all? Interesting. One can "burn" in hell, but not see what's burning them? Wow! Whodathunkit.

1. profile image0

They're dark flames, you know, the black kind.

2. Fairbear profile image57

Ok thank you for finally answering me in your round-about way. So, God made Hell unbearable.

Yes He did.
            He also made the the opposing choice, GRAND and even greater than the unbearable hell.

One would think as options and choices are concerned, one would opt for door 2(heaven) as opposed to 1(hell) there huh?

I wrote a hub concerning heaven and hell and what the Bible says concerning both.
            You should take a look sometime, maybe?

That's a rather large leap in logic. God did not intend for Hell to be unbearable for people, but to keep all evil contained. God does not even intend people to go there at all. If you choose to go there, you make your own eternity unbearable.

When a farmer burns a field, it's to burn the chaff, the detritus left over after the harvest and the gleaning. Good crops don't get burned.

Now if some person were silly enough to walk through the fire on purpose, what do you think would happen? Does that mean that the farmer set the fire intending to hurt anyone?

Here you go again acting like God plays no part in people going to Hell. As if they just wander into it all on their lonesome.

We've been round and round about this, and you've already conceded that God plays a role in people going to Hell.  He set the conditions by which people go there!!!!! It was His design.

So now you're saying again that God made a mistake. He wanted His creation to turn out one way, but oops! it didn't quite work out how He intended.

People didn't just accidentally start going to Hell. God designed it that way. Nothing in the natural order of things occurs outside of God's design.

Again. He could have dispensed with people in any way He wanted, but He specifically chose to send people to Hell for their sins.

I will never tire of pointing this out to you. No matter how many times you ignore it or try to glaze it over.

1. profile image0

Look hairybear, God doesn't want anyone to go to hell he loves us and wants us to love him and be with him. He sent out invitations didn't you get one? I'll put in a good word for you, ok?

8. atomswifey profile image57

mark said:
    Did your parents keep you out of school to teach you this garbage?

How do you know Mark that it is garbage?

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Definitely kept her out of science classes!  Knows not the first thing about it.  Her bad.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

Because I had an education.

I am sorry you did not - but - it is not too late. You are speaking about things you have absolutely no knowledge about - and that is clear.

I am well versed in the bible and spent many years studying and reading it.

This version you are talking about is garbage. Sorry.

9. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

So why was Hell created in the first place ?

I'm guessing "hell" was created by people who want to threaten those that annoy them with something they themselves cannot deliver.

and I guess the same. smile

Keep on guessing then until you get it right

Oh but you don't have a superior* attitude now do you?

* showing a consciousness or feeling of being better than or above others

10. Fairbear profile image57

Hell is nothing more than a theological defense mechanism.

11. Valerie F profile image60

It is the Christian teaching that Hell was created to keep evil and its agents out of Heaven.

Nobody wanders into Hell accidentally, no matter what C.S. Lewis speculated in The Screwtape Letters. And going to Hell is not a natural part of God's design, any more than any suffering caused by human choice is.

Did God make a mistake? Christian teaching says in one or two places that God expressed regret over making such sinful people. However, that's neither here nor there, as how God makes us does not absolve us of any responsibility for what we do to ourselves and others.

I also think things that happen as a result of our own decisions don't always follow strictly in "the natural order of things." They are things that happen by our own design, not God's. You don't want to go to Heaven, you don't go there, and it's your choice, not God's, who would prefer you chose differently.

you're totally backpedalling. You've already conceded that God "throws people out of his kingdom."   You can't make God a non-player in people going to Hell. You're trying so hard to, but it's impossible. Everything you're trumping up is non-biblical and contradictory to basic Christian theology.

I've never tried to show that anything absolves people from their responsibility. You bring that up just to take the focus away from the actual point.

God is the judge. He does the sentencing. He designed the punishment.

You're also starting to contradict your own words. You started out saying that people going to Hell was just a natural consequence of people's decisions. Now you're backtracking and saying that it's unnatural. I could bring that post up if you'd like. It's one of the first things you said.

You're just clearly playing games here. I almost suspect that you're just messing with me, because it's past the point of being ridiculous.

The Bible repeatedly describes God as the judge who rewards and punishes the people. It's a basic element of Christian thought. You can't just erase it. You're redefining Christianity.

Convenient that you leave out other fundamentals of Christianity that conflict with your opinion that God is evil.

The Bible describes God as a judge, yes. God is also loving, merciful, generous, and always right in executing justice, so in the unlikely event anyone goes to Hell, it's because they deserve it and refuse forgiveness.

the opinion that God is evil is beside the point. I've said this a hundred times. It is only an opinion, and not a point I'm trying to make. You can't seem to separate it from the point. Which tells me something.

My point is that God executes His justice. Period. Just like you said in this post. God plays a necessary role in people going to Hell. That's all.

Now, if you want to say God is good and merciful and righteous, etc. etc. Fine! I won't argue with that. But just don't try to cover up the fact that He does the sentencing. He executes His justice.

The wgole point to everything Fairbear is that People choose to seperate themselves from Gods love and in doing that they recieve the opposite of it. It is an equal and opposite reaction to their actions!

And if it is indeed perfect justice, as Christian teaching maintains, you are in no position to find any fault with God, so you don't really have any basis within Christian teaching for your opinion that God is evil.

I never said my opinion had a basis within Christian "teaching.' It has basis within Christian theology, which is something different. Christianity has a skeleton of elements that are immovable no matter what a particular sect of Christianity chooses to focus on or teach. Without that skeleton, Christianity dissolves. That skeleton is the theology that I base my opinion on.

You can teach anything you want. Up is down. Left is right. Black is white. Etc. I am aware that Christianity teaches on one hand that God is the judge who rewards and punishes mankind, and on the other He is good and loving and righteous. This is Christian teaching.

But to me, I see that the one hand outweighs and abrogates the other. I know that's not what Christianity teaches. It's just what I see when I look at it. That's why it is my opinion. It's my heart's conviction when I consider the elements.

But the two don't contradict each other. If love is unjust, it's not love, only arbitrary favoritism.

That's exactly my basis. If it's arbitrary favoritism, then it can't be love.

The difference between us is a matter of opinion.

To me, if God loved everyone, then He would save everyone unconditionally. He would put everyone in a place where they could be happy and content after they die. No matter what that place was, or who the person was. To me, a loving God would never allow a soul to spend eternity in torment and agony.

This is my opinion.

So, if God loved everyone unconditionally, that would preclude what you describe. He'd behave in a singularly unjust and therefore unloving manner otherwise- and also force people into Heaven who don't want to be there. I think it's naive to assume that everyone wants to be happy for eternity.

Loving unconditionally doesn't mean raising up a race of spoiled brats who always get their way and do whatever they want with no consequence. It does mean setting rules, boundaries, and consequences for when they're broken. Otherwise, it simply enables people to get away with behaving in an unloving manner toward each other. Does a loving parent just let an unrepentant child persist in doing what he or she wants- which could be tormenting innocent or repentant children- for eternity?

Salvation has been offered to everyone. We just have to decide whether or not to accept it.

Not a bad one. Let me take this further. If god is all powerful why not implant in everyone's mind the devotion and homage he expects? Why not create conditions that make it impossible for people to die of starvation, suffer from drug addiction (didn't he create opium and methamphetamine?), treat each other like dirt, and die in war.

3. atomswifey profile image57

But it is love. He is love.
                    And he has offered salvation to everyone! He has saved everyone. Jesus already died for all of our sins. There is salvation in that. That was God showing His awesome love for us. He sacrificed Himself for us!

But those who choose to seperate from that love, turn away from that salvation, are not saved!
                    1 Corinthians 13 states all about what love is and in that as we know God is love then it too describes God.
                    Those who choose to turn away from love/God they are then according to scripture, nothing.

OK, God offers us salvation because of His love for us, we even exist at all because of his love, and it is for ALL of us, if we accept it, we are saved.
                    If we don't then what? We are not.
                    Simple

And too, what makes you think YOU deserve to live with God forever in perfection??
                    You state there well if God loved us all he would etc...
                    He would what?
                    What makes you so deserving of being with God forever in paradise?

Do you think you or any of us for that matter really deserve something like that???
                    No way!!
                    God is perfect as is His kingdom, are you?
                    Is anyone???

So what makes you think you deserve to live forever there with Him for all eternity?

The answer to that is very simple as well, WE DON'T!!!

None of us really deserve that kind of awesome gift!

But there are those who are willing to accept that gift, humblely. In all humility knowing we do not deserve it. We graciously accept this gift from God.

There are those however who shove it back in His face. These are the ones who are not humble, but prideful, arrogant, every thing that is contrary to love.

They do not accept the gift of salvation and instead turn back into their sin.
                    Those people who were already not deserving of any gift from God, just as I and other believers are not deserving, those people reject that gift and thus have chosen their own fate!

God does not OWE anyone anything! Whether He loves us or not!
                    We are saved because of His love and grace
                    We exist because of His love and grace
                    We go to hell as a result of us not loving Him back, throwing those gifts He gave to us back at Him. period.

12. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I've heard many definitions of HELL. I like the one that describes hell as being the absence of the presence God. And God certainly has the right and privilege to not enjoy anyone's company that he chooses.  I guess that would make everything GODS fault.. ?????

13. atomswifey profile image57

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.

And who is God? God is LOVE
    If you have not Love, you are nothing. Period.
    When a person chooses to seperate themselves from this love, God's love, God Himself who is love, that person has now become nothing.

Hell in all of its interpretations is a place for that nothing. God says in His word, he has prepared a place for us as well as those who have seperated themselves from Him, from His love.

Those that choose to love God as is the first commandment, the most important one, they as an equal and opposite reaction to that action of love, are then kept in the promises of what God in loving them has prepared for them as well.

A place of peace
    A place of joy
    A place of contentment
    A place free from burdens
    A place of everlasting promise
    Free from sin
    Free from Death
    Free from illness
    incapsuled in total beauty and perfection.

Loving God is not just blind faith!
    It is seeing with the spiritual eyes that God gave each of us. It is hearing Gods voice admist the turmoil and chaos of life.
    It is knowing who you are in Christ, In Gods love and wanting to be a part of that forever.

If you do not want to be a part of that, it is your choice.

14. Valerie F profile image60

Fairbear, I believe you are confusing unconditional love with unconditional acceptance. Would you accept a family member into your home who is unrepentant of bullying, beating, or otherwise abusing your children, who you know is determined to not let go of such behavior?

I wouldn't. That doesn't mean I love the family member any less. But it is for the good of those in my home that I keep evil out to the best of my limited human ability. To welcome an unrepentantly evil person into my home would actually be less loving to the people within.

That's right. I do believe that God originally created Hell to keep others from making a Hell out of Heaven.

Very good points Valerie! smile

My reasons for thinking God is evil have nothing to do with Heaven and everything to do with the nature of Hell.

Instead of Hell, God could've created a second Heaven for all the "bad" people. That way they wouldn't be able to hurt the "good" people, but they would still get to be happy. 

Whatever. The point is He could have done anything. But He chose to send the "bad" people to a place of pain, suffering, and torment for all eternity. He didn't have to do that.

That's why I think He's evil. Understand?

If he loved everyone, He wouldn't deliberately put anyone through an eternity of Hell. There's no love in that.

But he doesn't deliberately send anyone to Hell. Understand? The options are presented to us. We know the consequences. If we choose them, that's our responsibility and not God's.

And who says God specifically made Hell a literal lake of fire? I don't believe it. Separation from God, from love, from goodness is torment enough. Even if it were a place of literal fire and brimstone rather than a place where we're stuck with our sins, who says God made it that way? We don't need God's help making any place Hellish.

I said nothing about responsibility. And you've already admitted that God does send people to Hell. I'll find it and repost it for you if you say otherwise.

Whether or not the fire in Hell is literal or figurative, it's still fire. That is the most dominant feature found in any biblical description of Hell. They used the word "fire" to describe that Hell is unspeakably painful. Whether that's physical or spiritual doesn't matter. Are you now trying minimize Hell's intensity?

Why can't you just accept that I have an opinion that's different from yours? I don't mind that your opinion differs from mine. The topic of this thread has been settled between you and I. Again, I'll pull it up and show you if you want.

I can accept that you have an opinion that's different. But I cannot honestly claim that your opinion of Christian teaching on this matter is sound. You have presented not just one, but a couple of misconceptions or perhaps misrepresentations of Christian teaching. Your opinion stands on premises that aren't true, and you have ignored aspects of Christian teaching- such as free will- that are considered much more important just to reiterate the same baseless opinion that God's at fault for decisions we've made.

If you go around claiming someone is evil, why would you want to be included at any party of theirs anyway? That strikes me as a bit... irrational.

As for God taking a day off, who are we to determine how long a day is to an infinite being?

Did you miss the umpteen times I explained that I'm not making a statement about Christian teachings?

Do I really need to explain that again?

Ah, but you did make a statement on Christian teachings- that Christianity can't really mean what it teaches about God being loving if there is even such a thing as Hell, and such.

15. Fairbear profile image57

Atomswifey:

Thanks for the sermon.

That's all good and fine.

You go on thinking you're a dirty despicable sinner who has graciously humbled yourself, and I'll go on knowing I am a beautiful, blameless, perfect creature who deserves nothing less than the best there is in this life and in whatever life there is after this one.

Actually she seems to think she is our collective savior. And I for one am tired of the sermons.

Then don't read them smile

Stop posting them. You know, don't you, that what you are doing is a form of spam?

1. Make  Money profile image68
            Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not spam at all.  atomswifey has the right to post about religion all he wants in this Religion forum.  On the contrary LiamBean you are kind of off topic which goes against the HubPages TOS.

And thank you Make Money smile But I am a she lol its ok

1. Make  Money profile image68
                Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your welcome.  And sorry. smile

SPAM???
            Are you kidding me??? LOL
            The whole point of the forum is to express ourselves, our beliefs, and talk about theology, religion, etc. And that includes whether you like it or not, Christian faith as well.

Why do I not post them?
            Because there is a little thing like the freedom of religious expression.

Spam is an issue about consent, not content so I guess we would all be spamming then huh?

But then again, uhm , no as we have consent from the site itself in forming the forums

When your posts take up an entire page. Yes, spam.

spam is not based on content and is not even meant to be applied to forums.
                It is a luncheon meat, best served in a sandwhich after it has been fried up, or at least thats what I have been told, don't really touch the stuff myself. smile

This is wayyyy off topic though Liambean which is breaking forum rules.
                So I will end with this:
                God loves you
                Search your heart and you will find Him

See? This isn't spam because it's short, to the point, and doesn't take up an entire page.

I'm not breaking forum rules in pointing out that most of your posts are spamlike, if not genuine spam.

I do hope you realize that once your posts reach a certain word length, the likelyhood that anyone will read them drops off very sharply.

If you feel I'm in error by all means let the hugpages "police" know about it. I'll be quite happy to give them my impression of your posts.

16. Make  Money profile image68
    Make Moneyposted 14 years ago

Oh Fairbear your contradictions are just too "in your face".  It's clear you are starting your threads just to argue with Christians.  To prove my point I will copy and paste a quote of yours from this other thread that you started.  I had to copy and paste because the thread was closed but you can find your post and my reply to you on this page,
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/21163?page=9

Your quote

My reply to you

If you "don't believe that people come back to life after they die" then you don't believe in heaven or hell.  If you don't believe in heaven or hell then why would you start a thread titled "Christianity: People Don't Send Themselves to Hell, God Sends Them" unless it was for the sole purpose of arguing with Christians?  You are not looking for answers at all Fairbear.  Clearly you are just starting your threads to argue with Christians.  A complete waste of time.

17. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I'm having a party and you do not behave, and won't get along with any of the other guest , you do not get to stay at the party. Absence to the party can be described as HELL.
       It is kinda like that
       And you should say I don't wanta be there if I have to act like them

18. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

This whole ongoing debate is insane-and sad. Why the hell did God just leave us here like this, with no real, TRUE answers to anything?

1. quietnessandtrust profile image60
      quietnessandtrustposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is TRUE?

Do you have true answers?

2. earnestshub profile image80

There are answers to a lot of things, but there is no god involved in any of them. smile

Are you typing in your pajamas again? lol

Not me, it's lunchtime! You are mistaken. Not unusual. smile

Good to see you too smile

When does 1+1=1 ?

No doubt like your other little life "puzzle".... Whatever you want it to! lol

Answer is:
                When you are married. smile

3. LiamBean profile image80

That's the Deist philosophy. God created everything and then left.

Even Judaeo-Christian teaching allows for the possibility that God took "a day" off.

A day off is not the same as leaving and not coming back.

It says he rested, not the same thing as a day off. And how do you know He left? And as far as coming back?
            We will see that day.

I love this poem by a little girl who had visions at the age of 4, of God. She was born to atheist parents and is a child prodigy. She paints magnificent oil paintings. www.akiane.com

I urge you all to visit this site its amazing and read this poem she has on the home page, I think it answers the question some have on Gods "silence".

Apparently you aren't following the thread of the discussion.

getitrite made a statement about "god just leaving us here like this."

I explained that's the deist view of god.

ValarieF said "Even Judaeo-Christian teaching allows for the possibility that God took "a day" off." and I pointed out that taking a day off is not the same as leaving for good.

Do I really need to summarize what others are saying...HERE?

You do not seem to be the least bit interested in discussion, but seem to be taking this thread as a means of preaching without having to actually participate.

In other words SPAM!

Get over yourself Liambean and stop accusing me of such things!
                I have just as much right in posting here as you do!!!

1. Jerami profile image59
                  Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this
                  1. Jerami profile image59
                    Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I remember when I was younger and my children were fussing about nothing and I couldn't get them to shuditup, I took the day off to the bar ..... then I had to go back cause it was my responceability.... I did cause I said I would be there.   Maybe God godda  do that too.

Stop spamming!

Stick to topic!

19. quietnessandtrust profile image60
    quietnessandtrustposted 14 years ago

Blaming.....God.....the easy way to relief.....or rather...to illusions, delusions and contusions.

20. Shaul Stein profile image59
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

It would seem to me that after reading hundreds of fairbears posting, that he is ever learning and not coming to the knowledge of the truth.

These kind enjoy the appearance of godliness, but deny the power thereof.

Not wanting to get to close so as to know the truth, the endlessly question it.

I would stop replying to him completely and for your own good.

It is a total waste of time, effort and energy!! smile

In other words, cease casting !!!

Considering that he started this discussion that's entirely up to him.  And because he started this topic I'd have to say you are entirely welcome to opt out of this discussion. As the saying goes "don't let the door hit you in the arse as you leave."

1. Shaul Stein profile image59
        Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As if I did not know that.
        Posted it because I can and there is no door.

I thought you and I were on good terms. I have no problem with you, what's your problem with me? What's with the degrading comments?

21. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Im always taking the day off lol

22. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Some people believe we are already in hell,so expediants gonna make a huge killin wink

23. atomswifey profile image57

I took a look at shauls topic and read it, no more comments from me in here to those he remarked about.

And all of them can shout for joy! smile

1. Shaul Stein profile image59
      Shaul Steinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said.....wisdom speaks to the wise. smile

24. Nickny79 profile image66
    Nickny79posted 14 years ago

These theological distinctions are over my head...

25. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

While this seems like a rational debate between everyone here, it is nothing but a forum for people to dig in and cling even harder to their beliefs-no matter how ludacris. Reason left this debate at the outset. Only a few people are actually reading and comprehending, clearly, what is being said.

26. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

A rational discussion is only available to those who have something rational in their thinking. No chance of that with any extremist. smile

27. Shaul Stein profile image59
    Shaul Steinposted 14 years ago

URGENT message to all believers at the link below.

Please read BEFORE you reply in here again.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/21507

You have your orders! Obey now!!

I am getting confused now. First they say there is an invisible super being - then when we make fun of their silly beliefs they attack us until we agree - and when we don't do that they tell each other to run away from the discussion.

What an odd religion.

No wonder I cannot bring myself to believe in the sky fairy with the penchant for pretending to love some one and at the same time ensuring an eternity in pain for them.........

I give daily thanks to people like dead dog guy here for reminding me how silly it all is though. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)