Question to native speakers

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (76 posts)
  1. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Is the usage of "should" or "have to" in phrases like "he should go get some education" or "HP have to implement this feature" condescending?

Thank you smile

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Grammar aside, yes, it could be seen as being condescending. It seems to be a rather forceful choice of words. Though it would depend on the context.

A person could say it out of excitement. Or because they think it's a fantastic idea. Though I suspect that in the first example, telling a person that they "should go get some education" is the person trying to make a point that the other is uneducated. So it wouldn't matter if they said "it would be nice if you were to get some education" because they're most likely inferring that the person is dumb.

Though I did read today someone saying that they were "not in need of historical education" when it was obvious from their contribution to the discussion that it was more of a case of "I've never had an education in history".

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glen, it clarifies the question even further smile

2. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the context, I think.

For example, "he should be going to school now", or "my child should be out of nappies by next year" is OK. Shouldn't cause problems.

Similarly, in the sense of a company, emphasis is fine, "Hubpages has to implement clickity-clackity features" is OK, I reckon.

Saying it to an adult is more iffy. If it's not personal, seems fine to me, "You should read XX book, you'd love it" is fine, as is, "you have to see YY film". But, "you shouldn't eat that cake" or similar would be a bit rude, I think.

1. Misha profile image63

Oh, thanks Amanda. Now I seem to be back where I started. Could it be Brits and Americans use them differently?neutral

*scratching his head in utter confusion*

1. profile image0
          rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

brits and americans use many aspects of "english" differently.

1. Effector profile image57
            Effectorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Theoretically its the same. It is a function of the circumstance really. Some situation never occur and some do in either land. It (the problem) applies only where the "crowd" where such an interaction occurs is of a Foreign base. If it was the same, who is to stop you being yourself? bah!

2. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, no.  I'm American, and I was just about to second London Girl's remarks - and I'd say, exactly in the wording she used.  I think, too, it's more important to ask what it is you're suggesting someone ought to (should) do.  If it's "neutral" like "should be out of school at 2" that's one thing.  The word, "should" is used in different ways.  It can mean "as expected to be", or it can more mean (essentially) "in my opinion what ought to be done".

Even in the "you shouldn't eat that cake" example, it would depend on why you'd be saying someone shouldn't eat it.  If you think they shouldn't have the calories or think they ought not to be eating junky food, that would be rude.  If you're worried because you know a fly got on the cake, that's a different thing and not rude at all.

For the person who isn't sure if something will come across as rude or condescending it can sometimes help to simply add something like, "I think..." or "In my opinion (Hub pages should....)."

3. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, were you asking in terms of cultural standards of politeness or in terms of grammar?

If it's politeness, it's best to avoid telling others what they should do.

However, there are certain grammatical uses of "should" that have nothing to do with implying that you are telling someone what to do. Example: "Hubpages should be done with the repairs to the server in about two hours." That's an estimate, not an order.

4. Effector profile image57

yes it is

5. eovery profile image59
      eoveryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The form of should that it is a future commanding form.  I think shalt is the formal form used with thee and thy.  And should is the common form. 
      I don't know if this helps or not.

2. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

It actually would be "HP has to implement this feature" Unless you say "Does HP have to implement this feature?"

And yes it is somewhat condescending.

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I personally do consider such phrases condescending.  For example (and this has happened more than once), any time someone presumes to tell me, "You should wear your dentures", I consider it a declaration of war.  Amusing from a given perspective, but also very, very true.  I've heard it said that far too many of us "should all over ourselves".  (When stated aloud, a different "s-word" immediately comes to mind.)  big_smile

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes Ghost!  I always say don't should on yourself, and don't let anyone else should on you either!

1. Misha profile image63

Love that! lol

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thanks Cole and Ghost. smile

I did suspect it was, but wanted to double check. smile

And btw, why HP "has"? Aren't they plural?

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"It" is a site.  Singular site.

And I agree, the above is condescending.  Say it to me and I'll karate chop you.

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should keep yer chops to yerself. LOL

2. Colebabie profile image60
      Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True, but it just doesn't sound right. If that makes any sense?
      Although it sounds plural, it is singular because it is one website or one group. Ok I just made that up, I really don't know why.

3. LondonGirl profile image81

"Hubpages" is a company, and therefore singular.

4. shamelabboush profile image51
      shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, we consider a group of people as one entity, and sometimes, we see them individually. It depends on you see the matter... I always use plural forms with hubpages bcz i see them as one...

5. Effector profile image57

absolutely. HP "has" is WRONG. it probably has to be "have" unless I'm terribly mistaken; in which case, I seek your pardon..

5. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

I have very poor grammar knowledge.

1. Misha profile image63

Now you know smile

1. profile image0
        shinujohn2008posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Our Mother tongue is not English .We are not born in England and US.

English is an adopted language or step mother language for me.

We are atleast able to speak, write or read English.

Can any Non-Indians read / write / speak atleast one of our 23 indian languages.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India

1. emdi profile image63
          emdiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No need, all know that Indians speak English big_smile

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oops, and I was thinking they are pages, plural. Silly me smile

7. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

Misha are you offering free grammar classes.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

people don't usually respond well to "shoulds".

like maybe say "it might be a good idea for him to think about academic pursuits", etc.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Nah, I was just curious, cause it did not sound right to me smile

9. ReuVera profile image84
    ReuVeraposted 14 years ago

Misha, what a good idea to ask native speakers when you are in doubt! I am taking advantage of it right away and my question, or rather, two questions, are:

1. Does this ("should do something" phrase) sound condescending always? I always say "We should do it more often" when we manage to go to a swimming pool with my sister-in-law...and she answers, "We shouuuuld!". Am I offensive to her?

2. When a kid says "You should of done it", "You should of known" and the like, is it the slang variant of "You should have done it", or is it a normal, correct grammatical form? You know, language develops....

1. tksensei profile image60
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, you are not being offensive. It does depend on the context as well as what you are suggesting or expecting and how.

2. tksensei profile image60

Should have done it is the proper form.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The kid was saying should've.

I believe it was ReuVera's example.

He's in there.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Woulda
    Coulda
    Shoulda-All banned forthwith lol

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lollollol

11. ReuVera profile image84
    ReuVeraposted 14 years ago

Thank you, tksensei

Anytime.

12. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

We should all clap at Misha's forum.  We'll have to tell him what a great idea this was.

13. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

Misha:  It is all about the context. It can seem condescending even if you don't intend it to. "He should get some education" could mean you think he is dumb, or it could be genuine advice. The tone of what you are writing should (ha) determine the intent of the statement.
    My vote for most condescending phrase: "You gotta understand...." If I hear that, I stop listening.
    Great question!

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it were genuine advice it would be phrased differently. But you are correct, it depends on the context.

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Aww, thank you guys, now I just have to process all this info, and I wonder if I ever get to a definite conclusion lol

1. jiberish profile image80
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did you notice I used Should and Have to? smile

1. wyanjen profile image69
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wink

15. wyanjen profile image69

Hey! We are the best minds around, and we can't give you a definitive answer. smile That's why it is a great question. It's an elastic word. If you are concerned it might be interpreted the wrong way, try re-wording your phrase. Or, add information around it so the intent is clear. Give it a big old cushion to lay on.
    (Unless you are trying to use it in a negative way - in that case put pointy, sharp words around it) lol

16. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Anybody dumb enough to tell me I should
    Gets smacked upside the head with some would!

1. shibashake profile image82
      shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you should resort to violence tongue

Suggestions are usually better received than commands, so when in doubt, perhaps it is better to use 'perhaps' rather than 'should' smile

1. Misha profile image63

Great way of displaying it Shiba. smile

2. profile image0

also use the passive voice, putting the action on yourself instead of the person. instead of saying: "You really need to quit that" say "I wish you could stop that for a second" or even better "It would be great if you could hold off for a few minutes", or even phrase it as a question "Do you think you could hold off for a second?" or "If you don't mind..."

well then again, if your tone is condescending or impatient, or your facial expression is off, it won't matter what words you use, so never mind.

2. Misha profile image63

LOL Thanks MM, I'll try to dodge it smile

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

He-he, I did, and it sort of irked me tongue

18. Mighty Mom profile image78

Perhaps you're right about that big_smile.
    And then there is the highbrow alternative to should,
    "must." Ss in,
    "Oh Shiba, you really MUST see this movie. It's the bomb!"

or
    "Misha, if you want to get a straight answer out of this crowd you must do some serious drugs big_smile."

19. wyanjen profile image69

If you are TRYING to be condescending, replace should with need to. That will start a full-out war.
    Mighty Mom, you should relax
    (duck)
    smile

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I am thinking about it MM, there is so much advice on drugs over here. smile

Wyanjen, thanks, I take a note smile

21. Mighty Mom profile image78

Wyanjen -- Did you say what I thought you said?
    MM you "should" relax?
    Yes. I "should."

But I have learned that here in the Forums letting down one's guard (e.g., relaxing) is something one should never do! Right, Misha big_smile ???

Yes. I did say that. And then I ducked.  lol

22. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oh, I am always relaxed MM, it's the way of warrior wink

23. Mighty Mom profile image78

Wyanjen -- no need to duck. I am reasonably tame unless provoked by a neocon. LOL.
    Cosette -- you have great communication ideas. do you work with children?

OH! ok then. I'm a neo-hippie so we're all good.
      You're not kidding about these forums though. They get brutal real quick.

2. profile image0

no.

just people who act like them.

(haha kidding. wink

no, although i have been told i would make a good teacher. thank you.

1. shibashake profile image82
        shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! This thread is too funny. You better duck!

24. papayaone profile image59
    papayaoneposted 14 years ago

I have very poor grammar knowledge.

<URL snipped - no links in the Forums.

25. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

Technically, isn't everyone a native speaker unless you specify a certain country? Mutes and monks who have taken a vow of silence being the exceptions.

1. Misha profile image63

Technically, it's an English only site wink

Hi Eye, how are you? smile

Well played.

I'm good. How are you?

1. Misha profile image63

Good, thanks. Did not see you round here for a while. Between Dems and Reps a sight of Anarchist is pleasing to an eye wink

I've been in and out, but I didn't write any hubs for a bit. One of the other spots I write for is an online magazine that does a lot of entertainment and night life coverage, so it tends to get busy during the summer. They pay me a fee per article, plus I get into every party in Vegas for free, so they get first priority.

2. LondonGirl profile image81

Nice to see you here! Glad you've been busy and happy.

26. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

He was.

27. Mighty Mom profile image78

LOL.
    Are we saying mutes and monks SHOULD stay off the forums?
    Does a vow of silence cover online writing?
    And if a hubber was a mute, how would we know?

I hadn't considered those options for some reason, but I'm not really sure what sort of wifi connection the average monastery gets. Therefore, the issue for a monk may be moot.

28. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

I read all the posts, did not see TK's. Was he being bad again?

Perish the thought!

29. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Not here Jib, not here. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)