My dog is sick

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (39 posts)
  1. rsmallory profile image68
    rsmalloryposted 14 years ago

On Friday last week we noticed our 11 yr old schnauzer acting odd. He was grunting, turning in circles, did not want to be picked up or even petted. He appeared to be in pain. We took him to the vet who said he had somehow injured his back and had swollen discs. Perhaps by jumping on or off furniture or rough housing with our other dogs.She prescribed prednisone and a 1/2 a pill of pepcid ac daily. He started the medicine and after a few days seemed to be doing better. Then on Wednesday he began vomiting everything he ate. I thought perhaps it was the medicine and since his back seemed better-he was jumping up on the furniture again, walking normally, okay with handling, I stopped giving him the medicine. Thursday he started vomiting blood. He was still eating last night, but this moring will not eat or drink. He just lays in the floor or on his blankie and won't move. He is on his way to the vet now.

1. Valerian profile image59
      Valerianposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OMG, that is so sad... I am sorry.  Prescription drugs are the WORST!  (For dogs AND humans alike.) 

I know he's better now, but I wanted to share -- in case he ever refuses to eat again, or is just "acting old": 

I have learned that when my own dog acts depressed, sad, or "old", if I spoil her with some human-grade food for dogs (that is, cook her some homemade chicken/veggie stew, or lamb/veggie stew) she gets ALL HAPPY and eats it all up!  My dog is very old, and rarely gets excited about things anymore.  BUT whenever I make her chicken/veggie stew or lamb/veggie stew, she goes CRAZY -- her ears perk up, and she starts running around and acting like a puppy! It's the cutest thing ever.  Just seeing her reaction is sooo worth the time it takes to make the stew, and I try to make it for her at least 50% of the time.  The rest of the time, I spoil her with a holistic canned food that she loves.  (She used to only eat dry food, but she started refusing to eat it about a year ago.)

Best wishes for your doggy!

2. geminimoon profile image60
      geminimoonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is your dog now?

2. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

Oh, I am sorry. Good luck, I hope they check him out better. Maybe his pancreas? Maybe it is the meds. I took that stuff, it made me sick. It took longer then just stopping to have it go away all the way. I am hoping for good news for you.

3. loveofnight profile image76
    loveofnightposted 14 years ago

i hope things turn out well for you,i know how much we love our pets because they become more and more like family to us.be strong for your pet because they can sense our fears....be well

4. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I'm sorry!! sad whatever the vet says don't put him to sleep before getting another vet to see him sad

1. loveofnight profile image76
      loveofnightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very good advice

2. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second the second opinion thing!!!!! Again, I hope it all turns out well.

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with rednck and loveofnight and tantrum.

So sorry to hear about this! Hope he recovers very soon.

5. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Oh, NOOOO!  I'm so sorry, let us know what the vet says.  I really feel for you as the mom of 2 dogs who are my babies.  It's a strange set of symptoms, huh?  Fill us in when you get back.  You're in my thoughts.  sad

6. Luciendasky profile image62
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

That is so sad... I hope everything turns out ok!

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Best of luck with the poor thing. that is so heartbreaking.

8. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I hope he is Okay
    Make sure that Vet warms the thermometer first tho! smile

9. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

rsmallory, any word on your dog?  Let us know if you get a chance.  I'm thinking about you.

10. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Poor dog! I hope he's on the mend quickly.

11. Cheri Schultz profile image59
    Cheri Schultzposted 14 years ago

Poor thing - I will be thinking about him and hoping for a quick recovery.

12. Sally's Trove profile image80
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

Good for you for writing about your concerns here on the forums.

I had many problems with my old dog, and I put my concerns out here in the forums.  Hubbers were very helpful, with their good wishes and good advice.  Later, when my crisis was over, some Hubbers wrote me for my advice about things they were experiencing with their dogs which were similar to what I experienced.

You have a lot of support here.  And you will have a lot to give back.  Let us know what you find out and how things go with your beloved doggie.

13. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 14 years ago

I have a little schnauzer myself.  I am sorry to hear of your dog's health problems.  Please post again and let us know how your dog is doing.  I'll hope for the best.

14. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Awww poor thing I hope he is better soon.

15. rsmallory profile image68

Update on my dog: He saw the vet and it was a reaction to the prednisone steroid that messed up his digestive tract. We have some different meds and softer food and we'll see how it goes over the weekend. $163 bucks later-but worth every penny!!!

Thanks to everyone who posted here-your thoughts, advice and prayers were warmly accepted and appreciated more than you could know.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

YAY!!! Oh, thank goodness, I've been watching this thread all day.  PHEW...  I can so relate to the financial impact as well, I spend WAY more on my pets than my kids.  Thanks for the update, Schnauzers are so cute.  smile

16. rsmallory profile image68

http://hubpages.com/hub/Life-With-My-Mi … Schnauzers

want to know more about my dogs? Check out my hub above and see a picture of Ceasar who you were all so very nice to be concerned with all day. Thanks again.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad everything is ok ! smile

17. Envoy profile image68
    Envoyposted 14 years ago

awesome I am so glad to hear the update!
    Great news smile
    Hope he gets better now poor guy

18. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

I am glad to hear the pooch is well.
    Sometimes when a dog acts the way yours did they have a bone stuck in the anal passage,that is why you do not give dogs bones to eat especially chicken and pork..

19. rsmallory profile image68

Ceasar did well all weekend and seems completely back to normal now. Thanks to everyone who commented and offered advice and prayer. smile

1. profile image0
      rednckwmnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile good news, your baby is ok!!!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

happy news, so nice to hear. we love our pets so much. your little Caesar reminds me of my dog, Belle, who lived a long life of 14 years. smile 

they understand us better than any human.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh the little darling! glad he is better...

20. Cranoo profile image61
    Cranooposted 14 years ago

My dog died last year, I love her I did was hard to see her sick but she needed to be put out of her misery. Best dog ever she was!

21. rsmallory profile image68

he is much better now, thanks for asking.

1. geminimoon profile image60
      geminimoonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm really happy to hear that, give your dog a big hug for me!!

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about your son and that swine flu thing?

rsmalloryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My son seems to be fully recovered with just a little congestion left. Everyone else seems to have recovered as well. Both my husband and I are now fighting colds and congestion-but nothing major. Thanks for asking!

22. PegCole17 profile image94
    PegCole17posted 14 years ago

What a blessing that your little one is doing better. That Prednisone must make them wig out. My 11 yo Malamute type guy was given that. Boy did it make him strange, almost psychotic, until I finally cut the tabs in two and gave 1/2 every other day.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm a huge dog fan. Had four, then three, lost my 14 yo in July and still not over it. Down to 2 now. The place seems empty.

See you in the hubs. Dogs rule!

23. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Oh wow I got on this one late but am so glad I got to read a happy ending where your dog is doing all right. smile

24. rsmallory profile image68

that's ok crazd. We're all surviving now! smile

25. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I'm glad to hear that. jeez sounds like you guys got hit by a lot, swine flu, colds now, and a sick pup who is now recovering. you all need a vacation!

rsmalloryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes! a white sugar sand beach, a tropical breeze and a cool drink in my hand....calgon-take me a away!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)