Need a makeover on a hub that's not getting traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (16 posts)
  1. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

If you guys could take a look at my California vacation hub, I'd appreciate it. I've tried to do everything right with it -- arranged it so ads would be at the top, added some nice personal pics and links, I just added some RSS feeds ... and it's getting almost no traffic. My Staten Island hub is way more popular ... I don't get it. Are people not visiting California anymore, or is there something else I can do to improve it? Or do I just have to be patient and wait for it to move up the ranks in Google? Thanks!

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Well, the keyword 'California Vacation' gets a decent number of searches each month, but it has some really tough competition as well. Every site returned on Google's page 1 has a PR of 4 to 7. That nut is going to be tough to crack.

I try (not always successfully) to find either a niche topic (like "Eco Friendly California Vacations") within the broader topic, or one that has less competition or weaker competition.

Relache did a hub on San Francisco that I think has been doing pretty well. You might want to look at that.

3. NaomiR profile image75

Thanks, I'll think about tweaking the title.

4. shamelabboush profile image51
    shamelabboushposted 14 years ago

I had a look and it's a very nice and organized one, but as lrohner just said, there is maybe high competetion regarding this subject. Try to versify your tages and add more. The overall is just fine. Also, you should share the topic on Digg, facebook, stumpleupon, twitter...etc I guess you already did that?

5. NaomiR profile image75

Yeah, I've shared it and have started creating backlinks for it. My NYC hubs are all getting decent traffic with the titles I picked for those, so I'm going to see if this one works with a similar one. Thanks.

1. shamelabboush profile image51
      shamelabboushposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck!

6. NaomiR profile image75

Thanks -- I'll let you know how it goes!

7. Leop profile image61
    Leopposted 14 years ago

I have to agree with you. I also have a hub page about reasons to visit california. I am getting a little better now with traffic but not much.. You can take a look at it. I think it takes time to get traffic on hub pages depending on the subject.

8. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

'California Vacation Spots' could make a better title ... less competition. smile

9. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 14 years ago

Yes, I also think you should go more niche.  My personal take on this particular title is not that it's a keyword problem, it's a human-interest problem.  In this case, I believe article titling is more about psychology than anything else.

For Web searchers, the difference between California and Staten Island is, like, well...it's like the difference between:

Fun Things to Do on Rivers
    and
    Fun Things to Do on the Chattahoochee River

The first issue is that people don't plan a vacation to a generic river (or the entire state of California)--they plan a vacation to the Amazon or to San Diego. 

While there are some destinations in the States where people will gladly roam about the region--say, the DC area and environs or even Alaska (because it's *Alaska*, and when else will you get a chance?)--California's an oddly laid-out state, and few people are going to roam up and down the West coast. 

So the article would function not so well as a tour guide, but be most useful to those looking for vacation spots who wanted help brainstorming where to go.  Which is how you target it now.

The problem is, California is a niche state.  It means different things to different people--proximity to Mexico... Hollywood... desert... beach... art... babes... high tech... wealth... Japanese culture... Hispanic culture... gay culture... Disneyland... etc., etc.  And it's got scads of big "niche" cities. 

Which means someone who doesn't know where they want to go will not be saying, "I want to go to California," but "I want to go to a beach resort with lots of beautiful people...how about California?"  They're just more likely to have a particular California city, destination or region in mind---"Fun Things to Do in San Jose" or "Fun Things to Do on the California Beach" or even "Historical Sites of California"

So--here's the point--even if they search for "fun things to do in California" and your article turns up in the search, they're less likely to click on it, because they have a specific idea in mind and they want something answering that specific idea.  Same with if your article turns up in search results because of one of the specific features you include deeper in the article.  Either way, the title doesn't lure a person in with "Aha!  There's what I need!"  Instead it suggests that the visitor will need to scour the article to see if it's got the information they want.  And they're looking for information on the Internet, which means they want it FAST.  Which is why specific is much better than broad.

Hope this helps.  And again, that's my slant as I imagine being the person who searches for California vacations, and what I'd think.

Best of luck!

1. viryabo profile image93
      viryaboposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great advice if i may say so. smile

1. Fiction Teller profile image60
        Fiction Tellerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I'm glad it makes sense. big_smile

FT

10. NaomiR profile image75

These are great ideas - thanks!!

11. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

How long ago did you publish it?

12. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 14 years ago

My hub on California travel does great.  The trick, IMO, is to focus on something really specific and build a nice niche for the Hub that way.

13. Leop profile image61
    Leopposted 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for this great information. This really helps me focus on the major points on my hubs especially the one about california. Now I have some ideas on what to do.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)