Have You Ever Had A Reading By A Spiritualist Medium?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (30 posts)
  1. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Spiritualist Medium is defined as somebody trained to receive messages from the dead and give evidence of survival of consciousness after physical death.

If you have what was your experience/

If you have not, what would make you consider having such a reading?

1. tantrum profile image62
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never. What a spiritual reader contacts is not dead people. It's a base kind of energy that mocks you. Of course sometimes it says some truth, or impersonate your beloved dead relative. But it's all very base energy, and does no good at all.

2. PheonixTears profile image61
      PheonixTearsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a spirtually medium its different with alot of people but for me. I know things know one else know and i hear what they say in my head. Personally if i ever saw anything i would freak out hearing them is just fine oh I also get dreams that come true the next day I have it because my grandmother gave it to me i even predicted other peoples life and do a good job atit and i do it for free because I'm that nice god gave me the gift for free why should I chsrge anyone that just me

2. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

My second cousin is a medium. She is pretty popular in NJ. Her name is Joan Friel Durham...yea, I take everything with a grain of salt...but I did do a research paper on scientific tests of psychic ability. It actually was really intriguing....I'll post it if I find it. smile

3. DennisBarker profile image61

tantrum, what is your evidence for the statement you make?
    Personal experience? Religious belief in another version of reality?

I've had several readings over the years and have never been "mocked" although the quality of the evidence the medium gave varied considerably.

1. tantrum profile image62
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if in the reading the medium spoke like someone you knew ,you've been mocked. If not it's a normal reading. I don't have a religion and because I'm a natural medium as I've been told so by mediums, I know what I'm talking about. And I'm sure serious and intelligent mediums know as well.
      I don't like the medium stuff, so I'm not in it. I personally think it's dangerous and foolish

4. DennisBarker profile image61

I trained for several months at the spiritualist association in london  and found their training to be professional and measured.
    The exercises and practice we got their was invaluable to me in the time I spent doing readings.

There are many different styles of mediumship and channelling, I've had readings which give evidence of survival and others where the channel claimed to be taken over by an extraterrestrial force called "merlin" which spoke like yoda.

Now that was an interesting experience....

1. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are cool smile

5. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Not as yet but I find it fascinating, my aunty goes to a medium religiously and tells me she is great and very accurate. I probably will in the future just to see what all the fuss is about.

6. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

I've ventured no reading from a spiritualist.   Very, very, very suspicious of them.  Which one is genuine?  I think it would be easier to find an honest car thief.

7. DennisBarker profile image61

LEWJ,
    I agree that everyone should be cautious but when I first started doing this spiritualist stuff I was embarrassed to be associated with some of the people involved.Over the years I've had some good readings and some that were clearly just repeating parrot fashion what they had been told to say by their teacher.

Natural readers can be of variable quality, it is better to select somebody who has been trained by a respected medium in a training centre or by somebody who is recommended by a friend or somebody you trust. Word of mouth will find you the genuine reader,as it tends to do with car dealers and any other service profession.

1. profile image0
      LEWJposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, but I'd rather try out the car dealers.  Or the car thieves....

2. profile image0
      Maximus591posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No doubt Derek Acorah is your hero.

**Swoon swoon**

Anyway, I digress.

Mediumship in all it's grotesque forms should really be passed as a criminal offence. It's fake.

I can never decide which type of medium I feel the most pity for. The genuine fraudsters like Derek Acorah or individuals like you, who earnestly believe there is 'something out there'.

8. Helen Cater profile image59
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

I had a bad experience when I was 18 that scared me for a long time. It caused me to have post natal depression and I spent years thinking one of my 3 boys would die because she told me I would have 2 boys and a girl. Now I think it is a load of rubbish I have no faith and choose to live my life as it comes, not on how someone tells me it is going to go.

9. Helen Cater profile image59
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

Sorry this has nothing to do with spiritual but some are into all of it.

10. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

I've never had a reading, but I've always been curious about them. Sorry to hear you had such an awful experience Helen.

1. Helen Cater profile image59
      Helen Caterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks it took me a long time to realise I had been had over and lots of turmoil but I am older and wiser now.

11. Jackson Riddle profile image48
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

No, however I have had two consequtive (one a night for two nights) prophetic dreams which I found quite amazing, unfortunatly they were not beneficial in anyway.

12. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

I trained as a medium at the College of Psychic Studies in London for five years and then worked in Spiritualist Churches around London.  All the people that I met were genuine, sincere people and I did not come across anyone who was just out to 'con' people (although I'm not saying that they are not out there).

Like all things in life, if you want a reading take the time to find a reputable medium and find out where they trained and what their credentials are.

1. profile image0

Yes, but training at an approved psychic school doesn't lend any more credibility to what you do.

If something is bogus to begin with, it will still be bogus even after you've trained. It's important you realise that.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  13. JulietduPreez profile image69
    JulietduPreezposted 14 years ago

Hey

You need to see Derren Brown's stuff. Especially where he takes a bunch of students and has a seance with them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDXQTBUCpYw

Juliet

1. profile image0

Yes, practitioners of mediumship should be forced to view Derren Brown as part of their training. They will learn more than any of their pathetic 'schools' will ever teach them.

I think you will find that the College of Psychic Studies and the SAGB in the UK are famous institutions, with a long and reputable history.  Derren brown is not a medium - he is a hypnotist who uses a lot of NLP techniques

1. profile image0

You miss the point of Derren Brown. Technically, he's a mentalist, but hey, we can save that discussion for another day.

Brown is up front with what he does. He keeps nothing concealed, he spells things out in a way that leaves no doubt as to his motives. In essence, he's saying... "I have no qualifications in mediumship, I don't believe in the spirit world, yet I can still dupe a bunch of strangers into believing I'm 100% credible" He does this primarily through two simple techniques - cold reading and his personality. A strategy employed by phoney and 'real' mediums up and down the land.

But you are still missing my point Derren Brown is NOT a medium - what he is doing is something toatally different, and something he applies to lots of different life situations.

All the mediums I have met and worked with are completely up front and sincere in what they do.  They are not concealing anything or playing any funny mind tricks.  I'm not saying that there are not any charlatans out there, as of course there are (just as there are crooked financial advisers, bad doctors etc). If it's something you don't personally believe in and are not drawn to, that's fine; but go and talk to a reputable medium and gain some personal experience before you villify every medium in the world.

1. profile image0

Nope, I think all mediums are game for villification.

You may consider yourself genuine and acting in an earnest way, but you are still playing God in the lives of vulnerable people. This leaves a bad taste in the mouth. If naive, vulnerable people could be presented with practical, rational alternatives, then the role you play for them would be meaningless.

14. DennisBarker profile image61

Derek Accorah is in no way my hero, thats a bit of an assumption.

15. Philent profile image68
    Philentposted 14 years ago

I'm a scare freak, I probably would not try.

16. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

Most people think that a psychic is also a medium or vice versa. However, these two terms are totally different from one another.
    First of all, a medium has psychic abilities but not all psychics are capable of becoming mediums. A medium can directly communicate with the spirits in the afterlife.

A medium serves as a channel between the world of the living and the afterlife which is beyond the abilities of a psychic.
    a psychic can foretell the future by using several spiritual channels. For example, a psychic can provide insights for you concerning relationships, career, money, or love. A psychic has one or all of the following gifts.

1. Clairvoyance - clear seeing
    2. Clairsentience - clear sensing/feeling
    3. Clairaudience - clear hearing
    4. Claircognizance - clear knowing
    5. Clairalience (or clairaroma) - clear smelling
    6. Clairambience (or clairgustus) - clear tasting
    Others may develop the ability to read Tarot cards but not be psychic.
    A medium may be able to give psychic readings, but to communicate with the dead they can not just sit normally and do so. Although we can see the shadows or effects of the dead with our naked eye, we can't see them directly. When a dead person does appear, the energy is so strong or different from ours it affects our mind and it feels like we are in a bubble or trance. Humans are the only creatures whose true self (spirit) is veiled by flesh and dead people can only communicate with  our spirit. (It would have to touch a deeper part of our mind other then the Alpha Waves) A true medium is in a trance like state when the  dead appear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)