US life expectancy vs other developed countries

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 14 years ago

I wonder if anyone has life expectancy numbers that exclude murders, suicides, and accidental deaths, which are not relevant when considering health care. I think the US comes out on top; we drive more miles and will therefore have more automobile deaths and we permit gun ownership.

The Libs really don't want info such as this to become public.

2. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Why do you think the States comes out on top?

3. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Canada permits gun ownership as well, and per person, Canadians own more guns than Americans...AND we can buy bullets wherever,including WalMart so I don't think that can really be an argument. 

And perhaps you drive more miles, but I'm not really sure about that one, and we drive in hazardous conditions, 6 months out of the year (winter).

I just don't know if this would change anything in your stats.

nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wintry hazardous conditions slow you down and make you more careful. You are less likely to be killed.

Here's a commentary on the stat I was looking for.
      http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl … 97901.html

1. megs78 profile image60
        megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So does this article mean to say that Americans are hell-bent on killing eachother and so no matter what you do you're screwed? smile

Some of us are, no doubt. What the article means to say is that the life-expectancy numbers trumpeted by liberals are nonsense in the context of health-care systems. Death by gun shot or car accident is not a function of health care. You're either dead on the spot and all the health care in the world won't help you, or you get a trip to the ER, which is already free by federal mandate.

Have you ever been to Quebec?  The word 'slow' is non-existent here no matter what the condition.  And trust me, no matter how slow you go here, if you are on a hill of glare ice, you pick up speed and you have no brakes, so being more careful is moot.  Seriously, have you ever been to Central Canada in the winter?

No, I've not been to Canada at all. I have driven on ice and I know it tends to slow down traffic to the extent that accidents are predominantly fender-benders that pose little threat to life.

That is because you don't have winter tires.  We do and so it makes all the difference.  You can still drive 90 kms/hour here on wintry roads if you have good winter tires, so accidents, and bad ones too, still happen regularly.

True. I buy all-season tires (tyres?) because we have much less wintry precipitation here. I'd probably be dead myself if I had winter tires. wink

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What types of weapons are permitted? I mean can you own a pistol for personal security or is it just rifles for hunting? Just curious.

It won't matter if the US outlaws firearms anyway; killings with guns won't decrease significantly.

1. profile image0

Thats not my reason for the question I was just curious

I know. You have a good question.

I was just stirring it up to see if a Liberal would bite.

We can own hunting rifles, sporting rifles, pistols, handguns, etc.  Its just that each firearm falls into different categories and requires a specific permit to carry.  For example, pistols and handguns are classified as Restricted and requires a special firearms license to possess and transport.

Do you have conceal and carry laws? Some US states make C and C licenses available, which is a very good thing because the criminals don't know who might be packing.

Yes, we do have those laws, but is rare that a permit for that reason will be issued.

2. profile image0

Thanks for answering, so some people can carry a concealed weapon for personal safety if they qualify for the permit?

Yes, but to my knowledge, this is very uncommon in Canada.

1. profile image0

Why? Low crime rate?

That must be it.  People here are more intent on killing the damned bears that show up in the early morning hours and threaten their children who have just left the house to walk to the school bus than killing other people.  I guess to us, the animals are much more of a menace smile

Actually, in reality, in our big cities, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc, crime rates are pretty much equal to some of your larger cities.  We just don't have as many cities as you, thus, less crime.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

It is not only liberals who talk about life expectancy? Is the CIA Factbook run by liberals? Why don't you just admit it, it bothers you the US is not first. The life expectancy in a country is not a contest... The same things are taken into account for every country.

These facts and figures have been out there for years, just because they are mentioned by liberals does not mean they picked them out of the air.

The CIA World Factbook doesn't break down life expectancy by categories that are health-care related and those that are not. If you jump out of an airplane and your 'chute fails, health care ain't gonna help no matter what country you're in.

Sure, it does bother me because I know that the US has the best health care system. I know first hand the free care that's currently available for low income citizens and how they don't take advantage of it. Free dental, free eye care, free well baby, free maternity, free school lunches (even in the Summer), free transportation to the clinic...

We can't make free care any more free.

2. profile image0

The US is not first in a lot of things, trust me it does not bother us that bad! I think the hatred that most citizens of other countries have for the US is simply jealousy. I am not saying that you two or like that but I read it in these forums all day every day!

I remember being jealous that I couldn't get a credit card.  Of course I didn't have a job, had no way to pay back a credit card, but the only reason I was denied for that particular card was because I was not a US citizen.  That jealousy has long turned into relief that my Canadian banking system took those issues into account and refused to give me credit when they knew I couldn't pay it back. wink

I remember getting my first credit card while still in college. it blew me away that anyone would trust me with credit. The Canadian banks are a little smarter, I think. wink

Well, actually, I have to admit that even here in Canada college and university students are given credit cards with no previous credit rating. It's like some kind of test because if you screw it up, no more credit for you.  The banks use a very strict formula in issuing credit and one blemish can stop you from qualifying.  In order to get credit in any way here you need to have been working at least 6 six months and still be employed, you need to earn more than you owe, have a good credit score, and if you don't have good credit, you need a co-signer, and/or collateral.  And that is just for secured credit.  Unsecured credit is almost impossible to get once you have made a mess of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)