Any one for Japan?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)
  1. choiceessentials profile image60
    choiceessentialsposted 14 years ago

I love to travel.

There is one place that I wouldn't mind going back again and again. And that is Japan.

Just have the soft-spot for Japan - the place, the food and the shopping.

The only set-back for most people would be the language. Nevertheless, I see improvement in this area.

So much easier to navigate and move around on our own now as compared to many years back.

A matter of fact, the cost of travel has gone down too.

Even an expensive sport like golf... the cost has gone down tremendously and alot of the courses are now accessible to public.

What is your view? Do you like Japan?

1. Richard Ring profile image61
      Richard Ringposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where do you normally visit when you come to Japan? I live in Tokyo and I agree, this is definately a wonderful place to come too and there is sooo much to do. I'm going to miss Onsens when I leave...sad

2. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

A trip to Japan would be wonderful.  It's one of those high maintenance trips though.  Japanese society is so polite, it's only fair to attempt to be as gracious to them as they are to visitors.  And hey, if the cost has gone down, then why not?

1. choiceessentials profile image60
      choiceessentialsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes... will be a trip worthwhile.

Each city has its uniqueness. May it be structurally, the sightseeing places, the people, the food.. the shopping.

Gosh.. can't wait to make another trip. The last was seeing the pretty Sakura during Springtime. Wow.. what a beautiful therapeutic sight. Trust me.

3. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

Never been there.  However Japan must be a popular place as in the voting on the city people would most like to live in on my top 10 most expensive city hubs Tokyo came second after Paris.

4. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

I cannot recommend Kyoto enough!

5. kawaiixdevil profile image57
    kawaiixdevilposted 14 years ago

I Love Japan~
    It is actually my dream to finally
    go to Japan. I actually want to go as
    an exchange student for my senior year..
    so not only do i want to visit Japan but
    i would LOVE to live there as well. I wish
    i could of gone with you hehe >w<

6. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

maybe someday

7. tksensei profile image61

Kyoto is the place to be. Osaka is the place to visit. Tokyo is the place to spend all your money.

1. Richard Ring profile image61
      Richard Ringposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure I agree with that, Kyoto is very boring...I would say Tokyo is the place to be, Kyoto is the place to visit and Osaka is the place to avoid (bad teeth). =P That's just my Tokyo-ite perspective though.

8. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

In Hawaii many of the boat dinner cruises are both in English and Japanese, so even if you cannot go to Japan there is quite at bit of Japanese culture in the islands.

9. tksensei profile image61

I must respectfully disagree. Osaka is much more fun than Tokyo. Tokyo is the place to spend all your money in a day. Kansai people in general are much more fun than Kanto people.

Kyoto has all the history and beauty and loads of great places to eat and relax and such. Most people just pass through as tourists and miss a lot.

10. euro-pen profile image67
    euro-penposted 14 years ago

Maybe you will think that I am just kidding (I am not). But the one and only reason why I would like to visit Japan (and even sometimes do some planning about) is the great powder skiing for which the Japanese mountains have become so famous lately.

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The only part that's hard to believe is that you couldn't think of any other reason you'd like to visit.

11. jcwin228 profile image58
    jcwin228posted 14 years ago

I came to Japan to teach English with the intention of living here for two years. That was almost 10 years ago. And believe it or not, in all that time, I've only been to Tokyo once, on business. It's exciting but expensive. The best burger was at TGI Friday's. I would like to do more sightseeing in Osaka; good okonomiyaki, see a sumo tournament, or Kabuki.

But actually, I recommend Tottori and Shimane prefectures, the Sanin Area, in my neck of the woods. It's in western Japan. For me, it's kind of like the mid-west of Japan. It's not really famous, but has interesting places, especially if you like temples and gardens. You can go skiing at Mt. Dasisen, pay homage to the deities of Izumo Taisha Shrine,....

Gotta love some good okonomiyaki!

12. getpaidtopost profile image40
    getpaidtopostposted 14 years ago

Yes I would love to go to Japan, If you go make sure to visit takeshis castle. You will have a ball, remember thou, take a change of clothes. :LOL:

That show hasn't been on in a loooooooong time.

13. retireyoung profile image61
    retireyoungposted 14 years ago

Along with jcwin228 I lived in Japan for 10 years.  I miss it dearly, but it is a very hectic place to live.  I lived mostly in Tokyo. 

Now I am living in Bali and the pace of life is much slower - just how I like it!

14. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I have visited Japan more than a dozen times, and lived there twice for short periods (6 months or so). If you visit, you must see Kyoto, Mount Fuji, Kamakura . . but there is so much to see and do. Japan is SOOO different. The food is fantastic. You can get everything!
    Its culture is unique and very sophisticated. the first time I went, I used 20 rolls of film (remember when cameras used film?) that was in 1993.
    The country has changed since, there is more English now, but Japan remains a fascinating country. I recommend everyone to visit, but not to live there. That is another story.

1. sannyasinman profile image60
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you curious to know, or are you seeking to defend your country? If it's the former I will be happy to discuss, but if it's the latter I am not interested in pouring oil on the flames of patriotic fervour. No thanks.

Who was this reply directed at?

15. tksensei profile image61

Why do you recommend people not to live there?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)