Obama bids on Olympics, a national Issue?

Jump to Last Post 1-41 of 41 discussions (79 posts)
  1. jiberish profile image78
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

The Associated Press
    President Barack Obama's decision to fly to Denmark to support Chicago's Olympics bid elevates the Games to an issue of national importance. Aides say Obama didn't make the decision to travel until this past weekend, after he returned home from the G-20 economic summit in Pittsburgh and consulted with first lady Michelle Obama and senior adviser Valerie Jarrett. They both were already planning to travel to Copenhagen as the U.S. delegation leaders, due to depart Tuesday.

2. profile image56
    onetrueheartposted 14 years ago

Gordon Brown and Vladmir Putin also made trips in the past to bid for the Olympics.  Many world leaders go to these things, gee!

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's not normal for American presidents to do this because it's too local and not a federal matter.  Usually it's the city's mayor who does the cheerleading.

3. atil profile image60
    atilposted 14 years ago

He doesn't have anything more important to do?

4. jiberish profile image78

Chicago apposes it, Fox was asked to remove news, Teen Beaten to death in violence.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/me … ion_albert

5. jiberish profile image78

http://www.breitbart.tv/chicagoans-for- … -olympics/

Why Chicago doesn't want the Olympics.

6. jiberish profile image78

Yes, they can. And yes, they did. The Obamas have wasted public schoolkids’ time as junior lobbyists for their Chicago cronies’ Olympics bid.

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/28/ob … -olympics/

7. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

If Chicago does get the Olympics it will be a big deal to the economy. Events like these will bring in money. The mayor should be the one going after this.

1. profile image0
      Ryan Kettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Apparently only 2 of the past 10 have been positive to the local economy, although...... I believe that Atlanta was one of those 2.

8. jiberish profile image78

Some in Chicago say it will put the city into a huge deficit.

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That can be true.  Most countries and cities who have hosted the Olympics rarely recoup what they spend, they see it as pumped up civic improvements that will take years to pay off.  I think the only one that was successful and made money, they said, was the LA Olympics and that was because the guy in charge was good at getting a lot of the major companies to underwrite the events.

9. Real Estate Lady profile image60
    Real Estate Ladyposted 14 years ago

Did you read today that Fox News in Chicago ran a story about how many Chicagoans are oppossed to the Olympics being there? Then, Fox was told in no uncertain terms to NOT run the story again.

This country isn't ours anymore. So sad.

1. atil profile image60
      atilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who told Fox not to run the story?

10. Real Estate Lady profile image60

The Chicago Olympic Committee

1. atil profile image60
      atilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And Fox news is not airing it because they said stop? Is this a local Fox station are the Foxnews Network?

11. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I do not and will not trust anything from Fox News! lol

1. tksensei profile image62
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

................. roll

12. atil profile image60
    atilposted 14 years ago

I will have to wait and see the answer later.

Goodnight all

13. Real Estate Lady profile image60

Here's the story:

A local TV station that reported on Chicagoans not wanting the Olympics has been told not to run the report again.

The Chicago Olympic Committee told FOX Chicago that its broadcast "would harm Chicago's chances" to be awarded the games.

The station's news director ordered staff to hold fire after the report aired once last Thursday morning, claims a source.

Chicago, Madrid, Tokyo and Rio are mounting strong bids for the honor to host in 2016.

The International Olympic Committee makes its decision on Friday.

14. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

The Olympics are a national issue by definition, yes.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is it more important than Afghanistan,Iran,Iraq? I would much rather him make a decision on what he will do in Afghanistan than fly to Denmark and kiss some Olympic a$$! At least try to lead, after all it is his job!

jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He doesn't have time to meet with His Military leaders, but has time to take another vacation with his wife, and Valerie to bring the Olympics to a city that doesn't want it.  Oh yeah, I forgot, he has to pay back his crony supporters somehow.

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most Liberals hate the Military so its not really surprising!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not true. You can criticize without hating...

Blame everything on Obama...

The Olympic bid would continue whether or not he was there or not. As far as I know, all presidents or leaders have supported any Olympic bids. Obviously, someone in Chicago wants it. As I said, it's not something that is voted on. It's just like when any other business wants tax payers support...sports teams for example.

Well Oprah decided to join the Obama team with her own entourage.  Guess the whole gang is there.

15. tksensei profile image62
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

He has no idea how to lead. He only knows how to 'campaign,' so he is campaigning for something - again.

16. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

There are always a lot of people against having the Olympics in their cities every single time there is a bid, the majority don't usually get listened to. It is a bid by the committee that is not voted on by anyone and if they get it they get it. Our PM has gone in the past.

17. Uninvited Writer profile image79

That is true. I think Montreal is still paying it off smile

I would not want the Olympics here or in Toronto, costs too much that you don't get back. However, when they bid, I have no say in it at all. It is treated like any other business decision.

But, it does bring a lot of tourists to the whole country that is hosting the games. So in a way, it is sort of a national event.

18. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

"It's just like when any other business wants tax payers support...sports teams for example."

That always amazes me about Pro Sports, the owner wants a new Stadium so he puts it on the taxpayer! Its BS, you hear me Jerry Jones you POS!!

1. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where was Obama when NFL Europe was floundering?

19. Len Cannon profile image87

The monster.

Too bad the war and the situation in the middle east takes a back seat.

20. Len Cannon profile image87

He just got done joining the leaders of the free world to demand Iran change their nuclear policy just the day before.  He's championed Afghanistan since day one while slowly drawing out of Iran.  He spent one day to court international favor for an event that would bring a tremendous amount of tourism and civic growth to the United States.

George Bush took more vacation time than any president.  He was reading books to children when the World Trade Center fell.  You're complaining that Barack Obama took a business related trip to try and bring commerce to America.  What an absurdity.  Pick your battles: a president courting the Olympics is not worth your outrage.

Apparently you're new. Let me introduce myself....I'm Jiberish, Ms Jiberish to you.

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

1. He just got done joining the leaders of the free world to demand Iran change their nuclear policy just the day before...

( NO! He made speech placing Isreal on the Chopping block, and insulted Arabs telling them to get over the past!..???????)

2. He's championed Afghanistan since day one....
      He said: "We must be as carefull getting out! as we were as fast getting in"?????? He said: The Afganistan war will cost us tripple our national debt by next year"????? What Champion?

3. You're complaining that Barack Obama took a business related trip to try and bring commerce to America...

He refused a metting with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, to discuss proceding with Afganistan, until He got more information from the leadership There...yet he has not spoken to His appointed Commander on the Ground there in 70 days????

and...Now that this Commander coming stateside to talk to A Committee, he decides to take a "Business Trip" and he allows the Committe to tell his General, that they will take the report when they ask for it only, and not tell anyone he needs more troops????...

4. You're complaining that Barack Obama took a business related trip to try and bring commerce to America...

(Not to all America, Chicago Only, "all" of america is out of work, remember?

A temporary job boom in Chicago only, a way to re-distribute the poor to new housing (disquised as Olympic Living Quarters for  a few weeks) then open them to move the folks into more affluent areas of the city, When it is over!

In other words a way to clean up the south side with Olympic monies awarded thru Tax dollars as contracts. Pay backs To Chicago Businessmen who donated to Obamas cause, while possibly a chance of releaving the south side hospitals, clinics and special program offices. Relieve the schools, of to many poor people! Get rid of the projects, make it look beter.

All while Shoving poor folks Out of sight and out of Mind, to hastely built buildings, only to see the same problems down the road, due to fast construction? A token effort with appearences of help for them, while the Obamas' pay back Buds for the donations and vote rigging for His Senate and Presidential runs!

How much will Acorn Get kicked back? How many Poor folks will actual get a job, vs Unions and seniority issues and Chicago Graft?

Will Small minority Contractors who have to rent equipment to compeate, get a chance at the Building contracts?

Or will they stipulate a certin level of Company size to insure the work gets compleated? (A Loophole to Garantee only certin Companies get the Contracts)

After the awarding, will he put firm rules in place to protect wages and equal employment for all to build the facilities?

Will the Bears finaly Get a New Field? Will the White Socks get the new Stadium? How much will Northwestern University get out of it? or Univ of Chicago? will it lower tuition? I doubt it!

Yea, I can see how all that will help all of Chicago, sure it will? )

5. You're complaining that Barack Obama took a business related trip to try and bring commerce to America.  What an absurdity?

(Its An Absurdity to use US Tax monies to take Opra and His wife on a Nordic Fling, Because the couple spent so many days appart due to His TV trips to push his Medical fiasco, that over 63% of the population is protesting now? SAYING HEALTH CARE IS IN A BETER PLACE???????

Will that bring jobs to all of us? Will he stop by the New Sports car facility that Al Gore took some Tarp monies for, about 560 billion worth I believe was reported? Is the new Factory a Joint Venture "including" American workers? Is he getting unified labor agreement to bring back to U.S. workers? (I'll bet they get medical coverage thats not taxable in the future?) Can U.S, workers apply there?

Will one day, One only, will that bring US Jobs to all? While he is there, will he meet with the Goverment in place to strike up a trade agreement and give U.S. business an opening to export there, so we can have more jobs open up?)

I'd say yea, there are battle grounds to pick all right!

3. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your common sense Len.

21. Len Cannon profile image87

Well, you have me there.

22. jiberish profile image78

Dutch, your post is too long to repeat, but Very Well said, guess now that you posted it, there will be no response, unless it starts with the word Bush.  Thanks for the detailed explanation. smile

23. jiberish profile image78

"Listen I think it's a great idea to promote Chicago but he's the president of the United States, not the mayor of Chicago," Boehner said. "And the problems we have here at home affect all Americans and that's where his attention ought to be."

1. livelonger profile image87
      livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Meanwhile, his party's idea of health care reform is to stick fingers in their ears and scream "No! No! No!" like a 3-year-old...
      Republican policy these days seems to be to oppose Obama no matter what. I'm pretty sure if Obama said he liked strawberry ice cream, the GOP would make a big stink about strawberries being the favorite of despots the world over.

And Liberals are big poopy heads.

24. Uninvited Writer profile image79

As I said before, Olympic Games promote the entire country. They bring tourism to the entire country. No presidents have ever refused to support bids.

25. jiberish profile image78

The only reason for the push is so that Valerie Jarrett, and the other housing cronys can benefit from the Olympics,the people of Chicago Do not want it.

1. dutchman1951 profile image59

Some more factual food for thought!

Social housing activists charge IOC with changing Olympic bid system

As the International Olympic Committee's Vancouver commission begins its last meeting before the 2010 Winter Games, social housing activists say they want the IOC to change the way cities bid for the Olympics.

By The Vancouver SunAugust 26, 2009

As the International Olympic Committee's Vancouver commission begins its last meeting before the 2010 Winter Games, social housing activists say they want the IOC to change the way cities bid for the Olympics.

Saying the Vancouver Organizing Committee failed to live up to commitments to not allow the Games to affect inner-city neighborhoods, the Impact on Communities Coalition (IOCC) called on the IOC Tuesday to modify its bid processes in time for the 2018 Winter Games.

"What we see with the Olympic bid process time and time again, is the willful neglect of the social impacts of mega-events like the Olympic Games," said Am Johal, chairman of the IOCC.

"From Atlanta to Athens to Salt Lake City to Beijing, housing and civil liberties have been impacted," Johal said. "Despite the mountain of evidence, the IOC has done nothing to address their impact on low-income individuals and neighbourhoods."

Vanoc has long disputed the IOCC's claims and notes that it has worked closely with groups to reduce the negative impacts of the Games on neighbourhoods. It created inner-city inclusivity strategies, including hiring locally and creating job-training opportunities for unskilled workers.

In recent years, the provincial government has bought 18 low-income hotels in the Downtown Eastside in an effort to stabilize rents and improve living conditions. At the same time, the City of Vancouver brought in rental restrictions for the Olympic period to discourage landlords from evicting long-term renters.

Johal said the IOCC has made no request to meet with the IOC's Vancouver coordination commission while it is in town, but instead will send a letter outlining its concerns.

In July, the IOCC filed two Olympics-related human rights complaints with the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights. The IOC has not yet commented on the coalition's statement.

Rene Fasel, chairman of the IOC's commission, opened a plenary session Tuesday by paying tribute to three people well-known in Olympic circles who have died recently: Leo Obstbaum, Vanoc's design director; Olympian Bob Stiles, vice-president of the Sochi 2014 committee; and Austrian ski legend Toni Sailer.

The commission is in Vancouver for several days doing final checks on Vanoc's readiness plans. At the meeting Tuesday were the heads of many winter sports federations, as well as Dmitry Chernyshenko, the CEO of the Sochi 2014 committee. Vanoc chairman Jack Poole, who is fighting a recurrence of pancreatic cancer, did not attend.

Fasel noted in his opening remarks that there were only 58 days left before the torch for the 2010 Games is lit in Olympia, Greece. He said he expected that the event would light Canadians' enthusiasm for the Games.

jefflee@vancouversun.com

More stories on the 2010 Winter Games at vancouversun.com/olympics

© (c) CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc.

26. Uninvited Writer profile image79

And again as I said, an Olympic bid is not something that is voted on. It is business...do all business ask the majority of a city to agree with them?

Facts about he Olympic Bid Syaytem to know; How it is done, the system they use:

GAMESBIDS.COM BIDINDEX 2010

What is BidIndex?
      BidIndex is a mathematical model developed by GamesBids.com that when applied to an Olympic Bid, produces a number that can be used to rate a bid relative to others - and possibly gauge its ultimate success. The model was developed by observing historical trends and results of previous bids. BidIndex numbers can be theoretically used to compare competing bids and the relative strength of bids held in different years (e.g. to compare Paris 2008 with Paris 2012). A higher BidIndex indicates a greater chance of being elected.

Why BidIndex?
      It has been observed in the past the IOC members do not vote based on the quality of the bid alone and often results are unpredictable. GamesBids.com wanted to find a way to compare Olympic Bids and normalize the results. BidIndex takes bid quality into account, but also evaluates other important factors such as Geopolitics, IOC politics, public support and other things considered to have an effect on the IOC voters. These results will help our readers gain an understanding into the relative strengths of the bids.

Does BidIndex work?
      While no one can guarantee the results of an election, BidIndex will tell you which bids have more of the qualities of successful bids from the past. A high BidIndex number does not necessarily indicate a high quality bid, but a bid similar to other successful bids. When the model is applied to the 2008 bid, these results were obtained based on information a day before the vote:
      Bid City BidIndex Round 1
      Votes Round 2
      Votes
      Beijing 75.44 44 56
      Toronto 63.79 20 22
      Paris 58.71 15 18
      Istanbul 53.94 17 9
      Osaka 53.81 6 -

Although most analysts rated the quality of the Paris and Toronto bids to be higher than Beijing's, Beijing was successful. BidIndex projects this result.

What causes a BidIndex number to change?
      BidIndex numbers change when either the fundamentals of a bid change, a competing bid changes, a competing bid either enters or drops from the competition, or the election fundamentals change. For example, as time goes on a bid may increase government support, lose public support or the IOC may release information such as an evaluation report. These kinds of things affect the day-to-day dynamics of a bid and result in a change of the BidIndex. Early in an election cycle, fluctuations may be more dramatic as new information comes out and categories in the model are filled. Numbers are more accurate as the election day is approached. Occasionally, the BidIndex model may be modified which will also be reflected.

When are BidIndex numbers updated?
      BidIndex is updated when fundamentals cause the numbers to change. This can happen in hours or in weeks, depending on how things change. Expect numbers to change more frequently when the selection process begins.

When does a city get listed in BidIndex?
      A city gets listed in BidIndex once it has become an NOC confirmed candidate and there is sufficiant data available to generate a BidIndex number.

BidIndex Definitions

City = Applicant City

Symbol = A 3 letter short form of the city

Status = Current listing status

Prelisted = Data is being accumulated for the city to create new BidIndex

Delisted = Bid has ended because (a) city did not make short-list, (b) city dropped out or (c) bid election is over

Halted = Index is waiting to be updated due to significant fundamental change such as the release of an evaluation report or an IOC announcement

MM/DD = The month and day of the last Index change for this city

High = All-time Index high for this City

Low = All-time Index low for this City

Change = Value change from previous Index listing

Index = The City's current BidIndex value

Loss of public support is a factor for rating a bid, and the Olympic Committee does indeed vote on the Bids!

Jon

27. jiberish profile image78

CBS 2's Anne State reports that the whole thing started as workers were decorating Daley Plaza for the Olympics.

An oversized Olympic medal was being taken out of packaging as a group of protesters nearby was beating drums chanting, "No Games."

Some of the protesters tried to grab the Olympic prop. They weren't able to do so; they just pulled off the brown wrapping around it.

One protester hopped over the fence and burned the wrapping in the eternal flame.

28. jiberish profile image78

Former Democratic fundraiser Norman Hsu was sentenced Tuesday to more than 24 years in prison by a judge who accused him of funding his fraud by manipulating the political process in a way that "strikes at the very core of our democracy."

1. mkott profile image67
      mkottposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What does this have to do with this contry hosting the Olympics?

this was an earlier post, when we were discussing corruption.

1. mkott profile image67

Corruption lives on both side of the political arena.

29. Uninvited Writer profile image79

There are always protesters with every Olympic bid. I'm sure you have noticed that before.

1. mkott profile image67

Some people only hear what they want to hear.  You were right when you said no President has passed on this country hosting the Olympics.  And there are always those that oppose them.  It's too bad that this has turned political.  As a former athelete and my Grandfather being a former Olympian there is a need for these games to be non-political.  It has always been a great way to get to know others that come from different cultures.  Atheletes have always been great ambassadors for the countries they represent.  some people in responding to this forum have strayed away from the topic.

30. jiberish profile image78

The city has more than a half-billion-dollar deficit – and just received word that its Olympic insurance policy will cover only about $1.1 billion of the $3.8-billion operating budget drawn up by Daley. Cost overruns, fraud, and union-inflated contracts are inevitable.

Take senior White House adviser and Obama campaign guru David Axelrod. He’s been a Daley loyalist since 1989, when he signed up as a political consultant for the mayor’s first run. Axelrod’s public relations firm, Chicago-based AKPD Message and Media, has pitched in work for the Chicago 2016 committee. It is unknown how much AKPD has received for its services – or how much they’ll make in future income if the bid is successful. AKPD currently owes Axelrod $2 million.

Obama confidante Penny Pritzker, who in addition chairs the Olympic Village Subcommittee and is president of Pritzker Realty Group – a mega-developer in Illinois that could reap untold millions in project work if the Daley Machine/White House campaign succeeds.

Crain’s Chicago Business reports that Jarrett and Chicago 2016 committee member Lori Healey met this month with federal officials at the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development “to discuss financing options” for the estimated $1 billion Olympic Village.

You are right on the money as usual, Facts take it every time.
      Sorry for the Soap Box post earlier, that statement pick your battles, just made we want to answer.

Jon

31. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

If he's offering a bid I hope he's using his own money!

He is not using his money, you can bet that one and win!

32. Uninvited Writer profile image79

He is not bidding on it...the leader of a country will always support an Olympic bid...

Bush supported the bid while he was president.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whats you're best olympic event?

33. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I personally think the Olympic Games have outlived their usefulness and that they are all about money. If you scroll up you will see that I would not want the games in my city.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is YOUR best event?

Her best event is the Free-Style Terse Impactful Comment.

34. jiberish profile image78

I'm sorry to hear Chicago lost the bid, Valerie Jarrett will have to fix up her run down buildings now.

I'm sure it's Bush's fault.

35. mkott profile image67
    mkottposted 14 years ago

I can see this is leading to nothing but nonsense.  The Olympics should not be political but those here have made it an issue.  Many heads of states go when bids are being offered to the Olympic committee. 

Lets not point fingers on who can and cannot run this country, both sides have proved to be failures at this.

Uninvited Writer is right, no President has EVER passed on this country hosting an Olmypics.   

It has nothing to do with being a Republican or Democrat.  Get over it.

36. jiberish profile image78

But, but it was for the children:
    Said Mrs. Obama:

“We need all of our children to be exposed to the Olympic ideals that athletes from around the world represent, particularly this time in our nation’s history, where athletics is becoming more of a fleeting opportunity…When we’re seeing rates of childhood obesity increase, it is so important for us to raise up the platform of fitness and competition and fair play; to teach kids to cheer on the victors and empathize with those in defeat, but most importantly, to recognize that all the hard work that is required to do something special.” MMM, MMM, MMM!

37. jiberish profile image78

“Some of my best memories are sitting on my dad’s lap, cheering on Olga and Nadia, Carl Lewis, and others for their brilliance and perfection.”

Um. Ew. Oof.

Mrs. Obama was 20 years old when Lewis first competed in the Olympics in 1984.

A very 'close' family...

I guess Okrah and her friends were a bit much.

38. tksensei profile image62
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

What the?!

How could this happen? Obama went there with his 'charisma' and everything! He and Michelle talked about themselves! And...and...everyone loves them...yes we can? Don't these people remember how Obama went abroad and apologized for America being so bad? Now how is the Chicago machine gonna grease all the palms they made promises to? Brasil is corrupt, but ... come on...CHICAGO! This is a serious blow to 'progressive' redistribution of sacks of dough!

1. Friendlyword profile image59
      Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow you do have more than one liners in you.  I cant argue about the Chicago Machine. But it's still would have been a good thing for Chicago and America. That Fox Chanel telling the world Chicago didn't want the Oympics was downright unamerican. Shame on them. How could anyone want Obama to fail that bad?

1. profile image0
        Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think anyone wants him to fail. We're just all watching it happen in real time. The writing was on the wall during the campaign but so many wanted to be starry-eyed that they refused to look at what was really on the stage. And now - no Olympics

There are no Olympics being held in Chicago due the Right WingNuts of this country. They put their hate of the President, and the people in his administration ahead of the good of this Country. What happen to the Patriotism you all wrap youselves in.  I see now, you only drag it out when it suits you. The President did his part. It was you people that shamed this country in front of the whole world. The Olympic Committee would never send atheletes to this country under those circumstances.  That's the writing on the wall the whole world saw.

The Olympics went to Basil because of this thread?! Wow, we are powerful!!!

Yes little butterfly; you are. Your words stung like a bee. Along with fox noise, and Limbaugh, and the politicians. You all put your hate before your country.  With power comes responsibility!

If only we had obeyed our Dear Leader better the Olympics would surely have gone to Chicago!

2. tksensei profile image62

How so?

39. Uninvited Writer profile image79

It was probably decided long before yesterday...

40. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

You would think that Obama's charisma would at least have made Chicago a lock for the Olympics.  After all Obama is the most European of all American Presidents. tongue

Unfortunately another goose egg for our Hope and Change President. 

Hope and Change = we hope that at the end of his 4 years we will still have some change left big_smile

41. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

To think...with all that amazing power we had and all we could do was make our Dear President look bad.  At least we could have bought him an ice cream cone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)