Am I a bad hubber

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. dindin profile image58
    dindinposted 15 years ago

hello,
    I'm relatively new to hubpages and I admit that I am using hubpages to try to make money and get traffic.

I've tried several types of topics and a variety of strategies. Some things I've learned so far are
    celebrities bring traffic. However, I'm not going to do any more because I don't think it is right to post images from other sites that I don't have permission to use.

Lately I've been posting articles from free article sites. Is this consider a no no?
    I've been trying to pick topics that are not too spammy and may be interesting and helpful to some.

I would of course like to raise my score and not harm the hubpages community. So what is the opinion of this?

1. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Start writing about the things that you know best- I find that is the best way to get into your writing- by writing about your passions. I love to garden so I write about gardening. I also write about other things that I am interested in like border collies, the sign business, social networking and art.
      There are other people out there that love the same things you do, you just need to find them by posting here and learning about hubbing.

2. Shirley Anderson profile image71
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if you're saying that you are posting duplicate content, or plagerising, or what.

Dorsi's advice is the very best way for you to go.

3. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you're posting articles that you haven't written without getting permission from the authors, that is a very big no-no known as "plagiarism."

Plus, duplicate content is penalized here even if it's not plagiarized. (For commercial hubs.)

Check out Maddie Ruud's hubs for more on what is and isn't encouraged here:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Substandard

4. Mcaxl profile image58
      Mcaxlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Original content is always the best way to go, check out this article,
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Finding-Your-Inner-Blog

2. dindin profile image58

No,no,no !!! it's not plagiarizing. I don't want to be confused with that.

Free article sites are collections of articles that you are allowed to use as long as you include the authors information and links. It lets writers promote themselves and their sites and gives content to publishers.
    I just wanted to know what everyone thought about it

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Okay. Seems like it's still something that's likely to get you a duplicate content penalty, though:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#duplicate_content

1. embitca profile image82
        embitcaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's okay to have duplicate content on Hubpages, though it is discouraged and will be penalized.

The problem that you will run into though is that the Article sites require that the backlinks be left in place. But Hubpages requires that there be no outgoing links on Hubs with duplicate content, therefore if you following the TOS for the article directories you will be breaking the TOS for Hubpages and vice versa.

You will be much better off writing your own original material.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So
          (a) you have a low HubScore because of the duplicate content and
          (b) you're either breaking the rules of use for the free articles (by removing the links), or you're breaking the rules at HubPages (by including them).

Just repeating that to make sure you didn't miss that important piece of info from embitca.

If you still have some of those freebie articles up as Hubs, I recommend you remove them and start creating some of your own.

3. topstuff profile image59
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

I guess on hubpages quality is what works not quantity,so your one hub created with some effort couldbe better than 10 like that or even more.

4. dindin profile image58

Thank you very much everyone.

these 2 hubs

http://hubpages.com/hub/Overly-Promotional
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Substandard

were great and answered just about all my questions.

5. profile image56
    Buggyposted 15 years ago

What you are doing with other peoples articles dindin isn't wrong...it's downright CRIMINAL!

Why?

Because you are an amazing collection of experiences, knowledge and opinions. Yet you chose to keep all that to yourself and simply offer someone elses stuff.

I recommend that you write about things that you are passionate about first. You know, the things that you could talk about all day if you had the chance!

Now hit that keyboard and share the knowledge wink

Mark

6. Lifebydesign profile image63
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

Definitely write about what you know and like, but I've heard from others that you should also widen your range of topics to increase success.

Does this tally with people?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'd say it's worth writing on a variety of topics, then watching your traffic to see what works best.  However, I also think there's value in doing what Misha does - focus in on one major topic, because it means you can focus all your marketing on that one niche.  And marketing is what drives relevant traffic, which is what makes you money.

1. Lifebydesign profile image63
        Lifebydesignposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yep good point

2. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

These are all good questions- should we diversify or stick to writing about what we know best?
      For me right now I am writing on a variety of subjects that I am very familiar with, and I suppose as times goes and I get a better feel of where I want to go with all this that I will have a better feel for what I want to do more of - right now is still an experimental stage for me with a high learning curve ( learning about google adsense, traffic, key words, blah blah blah- all the stuff that doesn't have anything to do with writing but everything to do with writing for the internet and making money at it)
      It's all very interesting though!

7. dindin profile image58

Took the advice and deleted all the hubs made with free articles.

8. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

For note, Mcaxl - Hubpages is not a blog site.  Please make sure you do the research and make the distinction between the two concepts, as Hubbing is totally different from blogging.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)