Local Evidence here on HubPages that Man created God in his own Image

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (116 posts)
  1. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

Something I've noticed here in the forum is that there would appear to be as many flavours of God as there are believers. I won't mention any names, but I've noticed that inclusive, welcoming people have an inclusive God who loves everyone; people who like the idea of judgment and punishment have a judgmental God; people who tend towards mysticism have a cosmic God; people who like regimentation and ritual find their God in a church or mosque; while the individualists find that they have a private relationship with their exclusive personal God.

To me, this strongly suggests that man creates God in his own image, and not the other way around.

1. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha its more of a figure of speach than anything else. God is the Light with no beginning and no end and we all come from him , all are his form. smile
      We all manifest from this light.

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jesus lied! He said he was "Alpha and Omega"!

2. Paraglider profile image88
        Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But Mohit - you are enlightened and God is the Light - That further supports my case!

1. profile image0

Good job! One believer down who's next?

In fact, Mohit's view isn't so far removed from my own. We are both in awe of the cosmos. It's just that he sees the cosmos as God and I see it as the cosmos.

1. profile image0

That's intense! If you could just knock God out of the equation you two would be harmony and you could unite and take on Israel. That's not easy either!

We are in harmony , we have different opinions but don't fight over them. smile

1. profile image0

I guess I'll never learn! Sorry for my ignorance it's all I have.

lol and a nice sense of humour smile

2. mohitmisra profile image59

God is within you as well Paraglider and so your image  is also god for me. smile
          I see divinity in you so often.  smile

2. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could it be that God is all of the above and so are we?

We are certainly all of the above, and more. I'm not sure that says anything about God though.

1. rhamson profile image70
          rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably not but I cannot explain faith either.  To have faith in anything is making an area in your mind where hope and possibility can exist.  That is not to say that whatever you have faith in will happen merely because you are open to it happening.  But when it does it can make you think that something helped in its' fruition.

Some people place God in that mix to make it feel like there is somebody listening and may possibly grant your request.  Some even think you can petition God this way.  Regardless of what you think about faith it is given and when it goes horribly wrong is when it is given with an expectation of reward.

3. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are ABSOLUTELY right. All gods are made in man's image, EXCEPT, ...well..THE ONE God.
      By now you know Who I mean.
      Remember the 1st commandment. (preempting idols/idolatory!)
      big_smile
      Jesus called them "impostors". cool

I suspect you are talking about the 'Immortal, invisible God only wise /in light inaccessible hid from our eyes', as the old hymn goes.
        But why are there so many different versions even of that one?

1. aka-dj profile image65

He is also a PERSONAL God. He reveals Himself to his (own) based on who THEY are. I gather you have noticed we are NOT all the same. It's not that He is a different God, or another version. What I can relate to, you may not etc.

4. manlypoetryman profile image83
      manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow...that is "spot-on" accurate thinking, Paraglider...That's a pretty wise think to say. I'm going to ponder that thought for awhile myself...no kidding or sarcasm intended. That is a very perceptive thing that you said (wrote).

1. aka-dj profile image65

Yeah.But that's the kind of guy he is.big_smile

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

You know, I thought that might be the case! I've got to get off the religious koolaid!

3. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

And we must all have come across strong patriots whose God is nationalistic? - I think I have a cast-iron case building here wink

4. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

sometimes people really do say silly things, i am sure it is just to upset, but why do it....  why not stop provoking people who just happily want to have their own religion, and be happy with it...... some happy without it fair enough...

Nothing silly about it, Brenda. I think very few people acknowledge a God that strongly disagrees with their own views. At the very least, will you agree that believers tend to mold their perception of God to something they are comfortable with?

You are correct to a good extent.By worshiping a particular image  you will see that image as divinity but then one needs to go beyond to the formless god. smile
        "Worship me in spirit" Jesus

1. profile image0

Listen to what he's saying! Para-dude you still have some work to do.

No problem. I'm not trying to shoot anyone down, least of all old friends and fellow poets. But as a Rationalist, my role is to propose theories to see if they stand up to critical analysis. So far, this one is doing quite well.

And taking on Israel is for another forum wink

1. profile image0

I'll say! I thought a rationalist was someone who passed out food, oh well, I guess I'll stick to digging ditches.

No, no - that's a Saviour - remember the loaves and fishes?

1. profile image0

You're right! I do remember that! How do you think he did that?

carefully?

2. Susana S profile image91
              Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You've put this and your hypothesis very eloquently! What you've said takes me back to my psychodyanmic training - It seems to be a simple case of the psyhological defence mechanism of projection. It's so easy to project onto God either parts of ourselves that we love or parts that we hate because our view of him/her is an image formed in the mind - our fallible mind.

That's not to say that that is all god is neccessarily, but it's very easy for many people to "put on" god what they want to put on him/her and not look beyond their own thoughts.

1. profile image0

That's way too many psycho's for me! Let's can God and be done with it!

Susana - first, thanks for the 'professional appreciation' smile  I think the question of projection is important because the downside of religion is that wars are fought over it, with God firmly seconded to both sides.

1. Susana S profile image91

I wouldn't say it's a professional appreciation, lol. Just what sprang to mind as I read your post. It got me thinking and I appreciate that smile You've brought to light a very important point regarding how people see god and how their belief is formed and sustained. "Thinking beyond our thoughts" is a useful way to proceed through life in my view. Question Everything!

'Thinking beyond our thoughts' is good. Most children will question everything. The worst thing we can do to them is give them all the answers.

2. profile image0

Why?

2. profile image0

It looks like you're not done with mohit. He's back and I still detect some God there.

3. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well not in my case no.   I think sometimes people look for a religion that suits them and they don't want to change.  I have stuck by my religion because i  believe it to be the truth, but i do not find it easy...... i don't think i would have been a person looking for religion if i was not brought up in it.  I see the values of having a religion, now and for the future, but it does not always suit me, i make sacrifices, a lot of them if the truth be known, because i believe my religion is right......

That's absolutely fine if it works for you. I am interested in getting to the bottom of things - lifetime learning, if you like - which is why I value theories and questions above faith and answers. I know my way is not for everyone either.

1. profile image0

some people spend all their lives searching don't they??????

Only the lucky ones smile

1. profile image0

true

2. profile image0

It is and you are.

1. profile image0

it is and you are what??????

1. profile image0

It is the truth and the light. Love isn't allways easy but if you look carefully you'll see only one set of footprints in the sand.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with ya Bren ,and Ive come to the conclusion that if people suggest anything close to 'getting along' peacefully ,its like waving a red flag to a bull.

And yet, you'll see that we've been having a very pleasant discussion here, with a nice admixture of philosophy and humour, and not even one unpleasant posting. So it would appear that the topic was worth raising.

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes!smile As far as it goes. Until someone pops in copying and pasting Bible quotes lol

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Just copy n paste back from your own book, and we will change the Religious Forum to the copy n paste room lol

I don't have a book! I'm illiterate ! big_smile

1. profile image0

Is that the kind of paste you can eat?

Sure its edible , the bread of life

lol

1. profile image0

The last time I ate paste my mouth was sealed for hours! My wife said it wasn't long enough!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

The bottom line Para is that many believers ,true believers do not post here ,sure they read , but resist speaking where the waters are usually choppy and turbulent.

Some Christians for example would love to discuss ,not debate  Christ or scripture without the constant ridicule and critism.
          Its immature and repetitive in my opinion.

For goodness sake ,everyone just quit being so controlling and let people believe exactly what they want without smart arse blah blah....

I have never heard so many stereotypes so openly endorsed on here.
          Yes I beleive In God , but in your mind ,dont put me in a box ,for you wont get to know me that way. Let me be free of labels.
          And I will do my best to do the same for you smile

There is no ridicule or attempted control in my original post. And of course people can believe whatever they like.
            I see plenty of evidence that people believe in a God that suits their personality, and little evidence of people believing in a God they find disagreeable.
            This is a perfectly valid area for discussion and does not need your censorship {"quit being so controlling and let people believe exactly what they want without smart arse blah blah...."}

I was not addressing you personally , more to anyone ,or whoever it applied too.

I enjoy for the main part your posts although like mine ,they are from an individuals perspective ,do you not think?

3. Susana S profile image91

Definitely worth raising and discussing in a civilised way. So what do you think paraglider - are we our beliefs? Do humans need belief as a basis for life? I know some of the worst times in my life were when i felt like i couldn't believe in anything, which in itself was a belief!

Personally, I prefer to do without beliefs, as far as possible. In particular, I try to avoid accepting answers that prematurely stop a line of inquiry. An obvious example would be the Genesis creation story. To accept that as an answer to the question of origin simply does away with archaeology, geology, cosmology, etc. I'd say, where you can't know, you should not pretend you can, but you should keep trying.

1. Susana S profile image91

I'm on the same page. My belief in the creation story fell down when I was about 7 years old, with the rest of the bible stories following suit very quickly.

I guess I've jumped on the link between how our beliefs (in any area) affect what we think the truth is, and in relation to your hypothesis how this affects how people see god.

It also helps to be aware of the distinction between belief and knowledge, and in the case of beliefs, to be able to mentally assign them probabilities, rather than insisting they are absolute truths. From this, comes a degree of humility and a great deal of tolerance.

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Religionist:optimistic and opportunistic
    Atheist: Pessimistic and sees the difficulty in their every opportunistic argument to persuade

And the twain shall never meet.smile

For the record, I've never equated atheism with rationalism (which is the analytical wing of agnosticism).

6. profile image0

Oh yer just so smart! I hear ya. wink

7. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 14 years ago

Paraglider,

YOu have put it very nicely.

I will only change your last line that only an earnest seeker who grows beyond all these "limited" limitations of God, knows what God truly is.

1. profile image0

Here's another fish and bread eater!

Thanks C.V. - I won't follow you there because I remain unconvinced of the existence of God. But I'm glad you see the value of my question smile

8. profile image49
    PirateGirlposted 14 years ago

Was I on holiday when Gods photo hit the Daily Newspapers, can someone post me a link plz !

9. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 14 years ago

Hi Paraglider,

I am glad that I bumped on you. Had the pleasure of reading your profile and a couple of posts. So, a philosopher cum wanderer!

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa says there are 2 types of seekers "the bahutak" and the "kutichak". Bahutak wanders here and there to find answers and when he exhausts his wander thirst, he becomes a kutichak - one who sits at one place to contemplate and seek the truth within himself.

By the way, have you heard of Ramana Maharishi? I think, he is the best person for your temparament. Find out!

1. profile image0

What?

I've not come across Ramana Maharishi, but I'm sure he's findable on Google. I'll take a look.
      As to traveling, I expect to go home in a few more years. But whether I'll be ready to stay there is another open question!

10. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Local Evidence here on HubPages that Man created God in his own Image

Oh! So that's why God made lots of errors ! He's human after all ! big_smile

1. profile image0

He is! well that seems like a rip-off!

11. profile image49
    PirateGirlposted 14 years ago

Hardly when you don't have an image of God !

12. profile image0

If that happens just tell them, "If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around."

I've been telling so much I got bored !! sad

13. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I've got plenty of bible quotes, but they are not at all popular! lol

14. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I believe you quoted me out of context Para

For goodness sake ,everyone just quit being so controlling and let people believe exactly what they want without smart arse blah blah....

'everyone' wink

OK. I'll just quote the smile this time.
      Seriously though - this is a discussion forum. I posted a rationalist topic, and we're discussing it. All's well.

15. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yes all is well smile

16. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Over the years I've found that my version of god has changed radically, from christian, to not a chance, to a buddhist version, then a pagan version of ritual, and now a kind of amalgum of everything, I expect that this will change again, and again as I gain experience and insight.

If I know anthing at all its that the journey is fun, and painful, enlightening and stupid all at the same time.

I guess thats just the way life is:)

Evolution of the soul smile

2. tantrum profile image60

So true! You're more enlightened that many of the 'christian believers ' in this forum. Searching is knowledge. Being on a standstill, ignorance smile

He is an evolved soul , just read some of his posts and you will see this man does have knowledge and is humble enough to say he is seeking even more smile

That's not being humble. It's being real.For me 'humble 'is a bad word. I found out during my life ,that people so called'humble' are very proud indeed . Of their humility big_smile

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humble
            hum⋅ble
              /ˈhʌmbəl, ˈʌm-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [huhm-buhl, uhm-] e

–adjective
            1.     not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
            2.     having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.: In the presence of so many world-famous writers I felt very humble.
            3.     low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin; a humble home.
            4.     courteously respectful: In my humble opinion you are wrong.
            5.     low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of the galaxy.
            –verb (used with object)
            6.     to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase.
            7.     to destroy the independence, power, or will of.
            8.     to make meek: to humble one's heart.

So? Everybody likes to be called 'humble'. you said so of denis as a praise. liking to be called 'humble' is pride. I hope nobody calls me that, even I'm a very proud person lol

He is courteously respectful and I do like reading what he writes. smile
                At the same time you always say you respect my views which shows humbleness on your side as well, sorry for calling you humble wink

17. profile image0

Truth is begun on the path of adversity, it begins with birth I reckon as that is some fight to behold.

18. profile image0

When one thinks he has found humility, he has lost it IMO.

19. tantrum profile image60

He is courteously respectful and I do like reading what he writes.

That doesn't mean he's humble. It mean's he's O.K.
    We should ask him if he thinks he's humble big_smile I think he's not, and that, for me, is a praise

20. tantrum profile image60

@ mohit
    respecting you is not humbleness.It's accepting you as you are. I can accept you as you are, because I'm very sure and proud of myself smile

For me, humble is the Uriah Heep end of the scale. The other end extreme arrogance. Neither pole is attractive!

2. mohitmisra profile image59

A person with a live and let live attitude is humble according to me smile

Peaceeee!!!!!!! lol lol lol

21. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

Can't agree with the OP because it can easily be taken more than one way - wouldn't God manifest to everyone in the way they understand and can accept the best? When God reveals "him"self to someone, that person can't even think about it, there are no concepts or words to cover God so eventually one has to find a way to refer, even in one's own mind, to what happened and what is. 

That IS making God in one's own image in a way but that doesn't change what God is in the first place.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)