Implications of declaring a hub commercial

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    iamtheknowerposted 15 years ago

What are the Implications of declaring a hub commercial?

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

A commercial setting simply sets the ad level to high on the hub in question.  It's applied when a hub has outbound promotional or affiliate links, or when the hub is promoting a business or service.  If a hubber publishes a hub that meet these criteria, but sets the ad level to none, low, or medium, a moderator may manually apply a commercial tag to raise the ad level back to high.

A commercial setting/tag has no effect on your HubScore, only on the number of Google AdSense ads displayed on the hub.

See the FAQs for clarification.

1. quicksand profile image81
      quicksandposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Only adsense ads are visible on my hub pages. Apart from that I have not placed any links at all. However the ad level is set to "high" by default. If I change it to "none" what results can I expect?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There will be no ads at all (except for Kontera, if you have it enabled).

3. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Out of curiosity... so if a hub has no outbound links, but it does have Amazon capsules, could that be classified as being non-commercial?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

One of the bullets in the FAQ description is "monetized through a non-HubPages affiliate mechanism."  Amazon or EBay capsules are HubPages-sanctioned affiliate programs, and do not affect the "commercial" status of your hub, unless the hub meets one of the other conditions for a commercial classification.

Short answer:  Yes.  If a hub has no outbound links, and is not advertising a business or service, it can be classified non-commercial, even with EBay or Amazon capsules.

4. spuds profile image58
    spudsposted 15 years ago

I still think the commerical/non-commercial things is confusing for a lot of people.

1. mdtabish profile image59
      mdtabishposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it still is for me. I don't know why the admins and mods of HP can't explain it in an understandable way.

I have some questions:

Q1: Can i add a link of my Blogspot (Blogger) blog in the end of my hubs just like article submission directories such as Ezinearticles.com and articlesbase.com?
      Q1 (b): Can i add the link of my blogger blog even if it contains the same content (same as on the hub) on the page other than the homepage of the blog? (i have my blogger blog made like a website with main navigation and all and not like a usual blogger blog)
      Q2: Can i give the link of my blogger blog on "My Profile" page of HP?

Note: My blogger blog is providing information on screenwriting, promoting my services, courses, and contains adsense referal ads, amazon affiliate ads, a link to my anoher blog with Windows Live Spaces and a link to another blogger blog of a close relative of mine.

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are probably better off just having the link to your blog in your profile, rather than on every hub you make. As from all indications, it will affect your HubScore on each hub which in turn will affect your AuthorScore.

Many thanks for your reply, darkside. Appreciated.

Yeah, that was what i thought. But i asked it here because i haven't seen anybody on HP with a link to their blog or website in their profile here. Any idea how soon the moderator will respond to my query here and help me get confirmed at the issue?

Also, i would like to ask you what exactly are the disadvantages of getting my HubScore affected on each hub and in turn getting my AuthorScore affected?

I tried to find the answers on the HP help pages, but no use. That's why i am asking you. HP people really need to provide a searchable FAQ and make the help section more user friendly and useful.

1. darkside profile image63
            darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I do know of Hubbers who have links, and sometimes plenty of them in their Profiles going to their other websites, blogs and webpages.

I wrote a hub on HubScore because the question often frequently arises.

Here's another that will be of assistance: The Unofficial Rules for HubPages.

Thank you so much Darkside. The second one, the unofficial rules, answered my all questions. What a great hub that is.

That's exactly the information i was looking for. You even explained them in a lot easier to understand way than the HP staff themselves. No offense HP staff, but i really think you should write help pages just like darkside has written -- in an easy to understand way.

2. Maddie Ruud profile image73

mdtabish:

You'll see I've responded to you on the bottom of the comments section of the hub on overly promotional content that you found so cryptic.

Regarding links, I'll state again that you are allowed up to 2 links to each domain (ie yourblog.blogspot.com or ezinearticles.com) per hub, provided that the hub does not contain text that appears elsewhere on the web.  However, linking repeatedly to the same domain across a large number of hubs may affect your HubScore, as Darkside stated.

You may also include whatever links you like in your profile, as long as they don't direct to adult domains, or sites that promote gambling or illegal activity.

I hope this answer, at least, has been clear to you.

Maddie,
          Yes, Darkside's reply was very helpful. Thank you too.

5. mroconnell profile image70
    mroconnellposted 15 years ago

Is the commercial high ad setting the same as a non-commercial that has elected to have high ad placements?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73

A commercial setting simply mandates that the ad setting remains at high.  The number and placement of ads does not differ from a commercial hub or a non-commercial hub manually set to high.

6. hot dorkage profile image75
    hot dorkageposted 15 years ago

woot I think I am beginning to catch on.  It all is making perfect sense.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)