Do you eat / cook with sloes, damsons, bullaces and blackberries?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (25 posts)
  1. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

They are all coming into season here in England, and Isaac and I picked 12lb of blackberries, 8lb of bullaces, and 12lb of sloes over the weekend. We had blackberry and apple crumble today, and both my mother and I are going to make sloe gin and sloe jelly, and my mother's going to make damson jam.

I know in America they call jam and jelly different things - jam is made with the fruit left in, jelly is made only from the clear juice.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

what are bullaces and sloes?

Jon

LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

See the fourth post in the thread.

I just read it, sounds like a sort of fruit/ vegitable kind of thing. Was thinking of a sweet and sour taste combo in cooking.

Might also make a great glaze, for the right type of lamb or pork, would have to experiment some. hmmm...Interesting.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image77
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I love blackberries smile I don't know what bullacs are.

3. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have absolutely NO clue what bullaces and sloes are. smile I think I've had Mango Sloe Gin Souffle in a restaurant before...no clue what I was eating, but it was good.

Blackberries, I absolutely adore! Nothing better than blackberry jams and sauce over vanilla ice cream. big_smile

I'm going to go look up sloes and bullaces now, I'm truly curious!

4. LondonGirl profile image82

Sloes grow on blackthorns, and I don't think they are ever farmed exactly, they grown in hedges, along footpaths, that kind of thing.

Sloes are absolutely beautiful - a dark purple-blue colour, with a shiny sheen on them. They are small, the biggest are less than 1/2 inch long, and picking them involves dodging the thorns.

Bullaces are similar, but larger (an inch or so long) and sweeter, more like damsons in taste. Sloes are very bitter indeed, if you eat one, it dries your mouth out a lot.

Sloe gin, made over several months, is absolutely divine. And that's from someone who almost never drinks alcohol at all!

1. A_to_J profile image59
      A_to_Jposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They all sound fabulous to me, I love fruit of any kind

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I sorta came of age drinking sloe gin. Can't remember what we drank it in, but do remember that it was good!

6. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, and raspberries are pretty much it for me.  With the exception of cranberries I don't cook with the other three - just eat them "as is".  We have blackberries at the grocery store, but for some reason I've never bought them.  We have all kinds of jams, jellies, etc., but they're too sweet for anyone in my family.  smile

I don't think I've seen blackberries in shops much - my experience of them is picking them in hedgerows, not buying them.

My mother would have a fit at the idea of anyone in our family buying jam (-: We tend to have tart kinds, such as sloe and apple jelly, or marmalade, which are much less sweet than, say, strawberry jam.

1. Lisa HW profile image60
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol  I'd have a fit at the idea of making my own jam.  smile  Of course, maybe if I'd make it I wouldn't find it as sweet as what is packaged for stores.  I'll buy one kind or another (in case, by any chance, someone gets in the mood for some) that claims its all fruit and nothing extra (that kind of thing), but to me it all tastes like a little pot of sugar.  In the area where I live I think it's more common to pick blueberries, apples, and pumpkins.

7. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

Hi, This is interesting as I only just found out what Bullaces were this Summer.
    This has been a good year for Victoria plums and Bullaces on my fruit and vegetable plot. The plum tree though not in the best of health has produced a bumper crop which were very tasty when cooked in crumbles,'easy jam' and compote.

The Bullaces I did not notice last year; probably as there were not many on the tree and they were not as bright yellow as this year. I thought they were just 'ornamental' and good only for birds to eat. This year the tree was full of the fruit and I asked someone what they were.. they said that were yellow Bullaces and very edible when cooked up, make jam with them was the advice I was given.

After tasting them; I decided they are a bit too tart (for my taste) for pies and crumbles, but used them in the 'easy jam' I make, and with the Bullaces it tastes like greengage jam.

How do you remove the stone when cooking them before or after ? I found them more difficult than the bigger Victoria Plums I am used to.

Plums were great this year too - my parents had 70-odd lb of them, and they only have 2 plum trees!

Most bullaces I've come across are the same colour as plums / sloes, I've not come across the yellow ones.

My mother doesn't remove the stones, she uses them to make jelly, rather than jam, so she just cuts into them and cooks until pulpy. They are fiddly to de-stone.

8. LondonGirl profile image82

Do you eat these types yourself?

9. LondonGirl profile image82

I don't make jam or marmalade - my mother makes it, and I eat it (-:

Have you ever had proper home-made marmalade, or mint jelly? They are tart, not sweet at all.

10. LondonGirl profile image82

They are wild, I think ancestors of the plum.

Plum glazed Pork, salad with a neet vinagret might be promissing with it, it sounds like.

Jon

11. LondonGirl profile image82

Not pork in our household, it's not Kosher (-:

12. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I love the conserves we have on the shelf here. Many are just the fully ripe fruit in it's own syrup and have the full taste of the fruit.
    I have not had homemade jam for years.
    I do miss my mom' homemade jams though! smile

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awww...how sweet! (pardon the pun...) I'll send you a few jars of my homemade jams and jellies, Earnest!

13. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Thats awesome - you should write up some recipies on hubbs for us Americans who do not have a clue and would love to try something new

14. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

Here in Guernsey in the Channel Islands Sloe Gin is somewhat of a traditional drink, especially at Christmas. We have loads of Sloes growing around our fishing lake, but, a word of warning, never, ever try to eat them raw, as they will instantly dehydrate your mouth to a horrifying degree. To make sloe gin you need to wash them, prick the skins all over, cover them in a litre or more of gin plus a load of sugar (half a pound or so, 2 litres of gin plus sloes, makes approx 3 litres of sloe gin). Leave to soak from about September until just before Christmas, drain off the gin and discard the sloes, and then bottle up accordingly. By now your gin will be pink, and much sweeter than normal, but delicious in a liqueur kind of way. Optionally you can top up the last couple of inches in the bottle with brandy for an extra kick.

15. LondonGirl profile image82

SOme people like eating them off the tree - my Dad does, sometimes. But you are right, they are very sharp indeed!

16. LondonGirl profile image82

I followed some suggestions here, and wrote about the making of sloe gin on my blog (link to which is on my profile).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)