Why Can't I Just Get Rid Of It????

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (20 posts)
  1. ~Stacey~ profile image61
    ~Stacey~posted 14 years ago

I have this "issue" with getting rid of old clothing... I have items that I have been carrying with me since I was like 16. I am now 25... lol I for some silly reason think that I "might" someday find use out these items.

I have many of times packed up a bag to give away and I always end up unpacking it later. I KNOW that I will never actually wear some of this stuff but I just can't seem to get rid of it.

Does anyone else suffer from the same problem?

1. Margie01 profile image61
      Margie01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It isn't the clothing that you are carrying around with you; it is the memories associated.  I think you have to realize that you never lose them and it may be easier to lose the clothing.

~Stacey~posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have a great point Margie01 I think thats probably a big part of it! I think that when I go to get rid of somthing the first thing I do is associate soemthing else with it! Thanks for putting that into perspective for me!

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i usually hold onto two kinds of items:

1. unusual pieces
      2. classic pieces

unusual pieces are things like a royal blue raincoat that i hardly ever wear because it doesn't rain but it looks like somehting Holly Golightly wore in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'...anything that makes you feel good and which would be hard to find, you should hold onto.

classic pieces are things like black or gray pencil skirts, vests, white shirts, simple black handbags...they go with anything and even if you can't wear them all the time because it might be too hot or something, you do wear them sometimes.

if it is something that is just junk like t-shirts with Smurfs on them or something, i would probably get rid of it, although i have a cool Atari tee that i won't ever get rid of.

Thats a really good idea cosette! but the smurfs might come back!! smile

1. ChristopherHowell profile image61
          ChristopherHowellposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They might, but the real question is SHOULD they come back... the answer is no.

I have the same problem, but i found a cool solution for the old things that turns into quite the skill.

If you have ANY proficiency with a needle and thread, take your old clothes you don't really want but can't get rid of and cut out useable sized patches from the cloth. Then take the clothes that you aren't wearing or need the repair and stitch them up.

Because of that I have jeans that have so many pockets that I don't need a backpack anymore and I always get asked where I get my clothes. It's quite the ego boost. Also, it saves on money and lets you keep clothes that you've totally torn apart but still want and clothes that almost don't quite fit comfortably.

Also, don't be scared to experiment even if you've never picked up a needle and thread in your life, just start on clothes that you really don't want, if you can put thread through a needle, tie a not and pass it through in loops you can sew. Just don't go modding your favorite awesome pair of jeans right away.

2. Velleri24 profile image58
    Velleri24posted 14 years ago

Don't feel bad, I have this same problem! And I have found that some things really do come back, you just use more current accessories to make them look new. If it is a question of making space though, you may want to let go of the brown leather clogs with the buckle.....yeah, those will never come back. Maybe that is just my own wishful thinking. I panicked a few years back when I started to see polyester in shades of hot pink and lime green. Yikes!

HAHA yeah I totally know what you mean lol I have some things that I really should just let go lol

3. geminimoon profile image60
    geminimoonposted 14 years ago

Have a yard sale or just donate them to a charity.

4. beth811 profile image77
    beth811posted 14 years ago

Don't withhold the things you planned to dispose of. You can either donate or sell them.
    Get your wardrobe a new look inside.

5. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I've had the same problem with clothes and things. 

When I was in Turkey, they were sooooooo poor, it was much easier to give those things away, for the first time ever. 

Now I have a close friend with a large extended family in Mexico.  I give clothes to her and I know she will see that they go to people that need them and will appreciate them.

Aww thats great!

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

If they're still in good condition, why not eBay them?

I think most people have a collection of stuff they don't need,  but "too good to throw away".  Selling on eBay can really turn that attitude around, in my experience

I started on eBay to sell my partner's coin collection and was soon selling bits and pieces I had around the house. I did so well, my partner joked he would have to start nailing things down, or there'd be nothing left!

If you're getting something in return for the clothes, it's much easier to part with them.  They're not out of fashion, they're "vintage"!

7. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have this problem, too. A good way to combat it is to go through your closet with a friend or two that are the same size. smile Once you've given something to them, you can't take it back and they'll probably love that you're giving them free clothes.

8. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

It's easier to get rid of stuff you don't use anymore when you move.  So if you're going to move house within oh, say the next two or three years, don't worry about it until then.  When you have to go through everything to pack up, then sort out everything you haven't worn in 2 years, and donate it to the Goodwill or Oxfam or something.

In the meantime, having your closets full of clothes makes you feel luxuriously well-wardrobed, and cuts down on credit card impulse shopping for clothes.  So it's not a totally bad thing, I don't think. cool

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If only that had worked for me.  My last several military moves I was up all night for several nights going through stuff, the least of which was clothes.  sad

9. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

Everytime I move, which is usually every 3 years, I leave the furniture behind but hang on to the clothes.  Wow, I didn't realize how attached I was to my clothes until I just typed this!

LOL funny how that happens smile

10. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Do you have a Plato's closet in your town?

I take all of my clothes to Plato's closet, whatever they don't take I take to Goodwill. If you think of it as someone who has less than you is getting your great things, its easier to let go.

My rule is, if I haven't worn it in 6 months and its not something that has serious sentimental value... out it goes!

11. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

My wife is 40 and still has jeans from when she was 19.  3 kids later she is still beautiful and in great shape but those jeans just dont work anymore.

When I tell her to get rid of them she always tells me that one day she will get back into them.

I guess whatever she wants and whatever makes her happy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)