Backlinking advice needed

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (24 posts)
  1. kerryg profile image82
    kerrygposted 14 years ago

So far I've mostly been relying on writing good content and trusting people to find it, but after a spike this summer, my traffic here at HP has collapsed to some rather depressing levels, considering the number of hubs I have, and I've been thinking maybe it's time to start putting more effort into backlinking.

The problem is, I'm still confused about what the best method of backlinking is. From everything I've read, social bookmarking doesn't really make a lot of sense in terms of actual conversions. I've started writing the occasional ezine article for my best performing hubs, but haven't seen much traffic from that. Nor from commenting on blogs, which I also do occasionally. I feel like to see any significant results from either, I'd have to step up my efforts significantly but frankly, I'd rather spend my time writing real articles than spewing out a bunch of half-hearted attempts to direct people to my real articles. Am I foredoomed to failure because of that?

I guess I've just been feeling very discouraged the last couple months. I keep getting within about $5 of making monthly payouts and can't seem to move up to that next level.

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

You can start a Blogger blog on a topic that compliments some of your hubs. Make daily posts about the topic.

There's a widget where you can add links to individual hubs. That should do it.

You can have as many blogger blogs as you want. So I'd come up with one for the major categories you write in. Then every time you write a hub, put a link to the hub on the blog.

If you use Blogger, it's really easy to enable adsense. I was only doing this to create backlinks. But because I post at least daily on them, they're getting traffic as well. And I'm seeing adsense revenue from them.

1. tinarathore84 profile image66
      tinarathore84posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hello. can you tell me if i can enable adsense with my wordpress blog. what i know is taht you cannot earn from blogs until you have a personal domain, is it different with blogger? also, is it taht you need to be a member of hubpages for atleast six months to activate your adsense account?

thanks.

1. deartfuldodger profile image61
        deartfuldodgerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you have been misinformed!

You can insert adsense into your hubs from day 1 at hubpages

but adsense does have a 6 month waiting period for partners in India and China and some other places, perhaps taht is your mixup

blogger and blogspot are not "personal domains" but you can earn from adsense, there is a way to do this built right into the publisher console (right after you log in look for m"monetize")

put adsense into your wordpress site easily by using the ez adsense plug in !'

good luck, i tip my hat to ya

1. tinarathore84 profile image66
          tinarathore84posted 14 years agoin reply to this

@deartfuldodger: thanks for the reply. i'm from india...and when i applied for adsense through my hubpages acct...i was rejected. this was what i recieved

*Your site must have been active for at least 6 months before you apply for AdSense.
          *You must provide accurate personal information with your application that matches the information on your page.
          *Your website must contain substantial, original content.
          *Your site must comply with Google AdSense program policies.

well, as for the time frame..fine.
          about the personal info..it was just what i have at oteh palces.
          all my hubs are original and have not been published elsewhere on the web.

can you tell me where i'm missing?

If your site satisfies the above criteria in the future, please resubmit
          your application and we'll review it as soon as possible.

3. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Yep everything Nelle said!!

Also why not when you have the time go through some of your under performing hubpages and try and tweak and optimize them further and see if you can interlink them within your own hubpages, I've often found some of my oldest hubpages really need new titles and to be properly keyword optimized, because back then I didn't know much about this type of stuff!!!

4. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I backlink some - not all. And oddly, some that haven't got a whiff of a backlink do as well or better than those that lack backlinks.

And I have only backlinked to improve the integrity of something I've written, for SEO pruposes. The traffic I get from the backlinks is minimal. But it improves the placement of the hub or article. Generally.

I'm still sat weighing up the pros and cons. Worth it - or not.

5. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I backlink some, however, I did start a blog and that has helped some, to increase my adsense revenue.  However, I am still learning the process too.  I love to write and have been doing more research, forums, etc...then writing.  Anyway, good luck and don't give up, the answer/solution will come.

6. rumbling profile image49
    rumblingposted 14 years ago

I also add back links only to some of my hubs , whenever I write a hub I try to link to another hub I have already written so it will get some internal links. With 254 hubs I think you can do that better that most :-)

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I think backlinking does add stability to your rankings - especially newer hubs that are less than a year or two old. You may not get actual traffic from the link. But google generally seems to notice and won't ignore them totally.

It's hard to know why some hubs get traffic and others don't. But I like to give them as much hope as possible. At HubPages, it probably helps if you're featured in the Best or Hot section. How many comments etc.

You also have to realize that backlinks may take a couple of months to ripen as well.

8. R P Chapman profile image61
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

I've recently written a hub that's got lots of information about backlinking that you may find of interest: http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Your-P … Back-Links

Hope that proves to be of some use.

9. kerryg profile image82

Thanks, guys. I do have a couple Blogger blogs similar to what Nellie suggested, but haven't updated them for months. Maybe if I tried a little harder to post regularly on them they would do more good.

Waynet, right now it kind of feels like most of them are underperforming sad , but that's a good idea. I've definitely learned a lot about writing for the web even in just the last few months, so I'm sure I'd be horrified by some of my earliest hubs!

10. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

An article intended as a backlink does NOT need to bring in traffic itself, it is intended to raise the rank of your master article not bring in traffic on its own.

Traffics always great, but dont get the two concepts confused.

hopefully these backlink articles you have been writing, all use a common anchor text within your links?

Heres a big list of dofollow web 2.0 properties you can use

social bookmarking w/ PR

1. Furl - PR7
    2. Backflip - PR6
    3. Bibsonomy - PR6
    4. LinkaGoGo - PR6
    5. Mister-Wong - PR6
    6. Raw Sugar - PR6
    7. Spurl - PR6
    8. Buddy Marks - PR5
    9. Jumptags - PR5
    10. MyJeeves / Ask - PR5
    11. MyLinkVault - PR5
    12. Xilnus - PR5
    13. A1 Webmarks - PR4
    14. Bookmark Tracker - PR4
    15. Connectedy - PR4
    16. Diigo - PR4
    17. OYAX - PR4
    18. MyVmarks - PR4
    19. TeDigo - PR4
    20. ez4u - PR3
    21. MyPIP - PR3
    22. SyncOne - PR3
    23. Yattle - PR2

Tons of dofollow blog ops

http://backlinkage.com/link-building/bo … backlinks/

and a forum thread that can help you with the link wheel comcept

http://www.warriorforum.com/adsense-ppc … wheel.html

A visual explanation,

http://ursaanzur.com/wp-content/uploads/YourWebsite.png

... with 250 hubs, I would put all my effort into traffic and linking at this point

1. sandwichmom profile image60
      sandwichmomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for this information- I am new at this- so Just getting to read what others post is great

11. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

What they said. Although I'm not sure I agree that you need to continue updating your Blogger blogs if they're established. It's nice, but not necessary. I know this from experience. I have blogger blogs that I haven't updated in a year or more and their traffic and Google ranking hasn't suffered one iota.

There are lots of ways to get good backlinks -- comments on other high PR blogs, some forums, and your own blogs. Just make sure that they are DoFollow links. NoFollow links won't hurt you, but I don't consider them worth my time.

Is backlinking worth it at all to Frog's point? I don't know. But I do know that my hubs that have the highest organic search engine traffic all have a minimum of 4 one-way backlinks from relevant sites with a PR3 or greater.

I think part of your problem could be inconsistent keyword selection. Take your green smoothies series, for example. On the face of it, it appears to be a great keyword with 4,400 searches per month and little competition. But the CPC is only 62 cents -- and you're only going to get a small portion per click of that. Your Diabetes Natural Cures series has great CPC at $3.68 and little competition, but less than 400 people per month are searching for that term.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lrohner, I know what you mean. I had decided not to renew one of my domains, because I ran out of things to write about the topic months ago, and I assumed that therefore, it would be a waste of time (that's my big problem, BTW - I have real difficulty coming up with oceans of material about any one single topic!).

Then I got around to checking my eBay income, which I hadn't looked at for ages, and discovered that my "non-performing" domain was making sales!  So I've kept it going and it is gradually making headway, in spite of the fact I've added nothing more than a handful of images and a News widget in the last few months.

I'm fascinated by the link wheel, but it all looks a bit too daunting.

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisa -- not as daunting as it sounds IF you tend to write groups of hubs on the same topic. If each of your hubs is about a different subject -- yes. I could see how it could be daunting.

12. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I may have gave you an overload of info

i use techniques like that for my major sites

For Hubs Im happy to just use

wordpress.com

5 themed blogspots (just a quick click with the share button on hubs)

1 self hosted wordpress blog that autopings and submits to the top 25-50 directories for each new post

blasts across social networks (not backlinks) but so easy its worth the effort, may go viral or get a few natural backlinks from other bloggers/writers that way

I do still occasionally use yahoo answers for trendy topics, as i see traffic come in for years from YA! from one little comment

13. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

kerryg,
    I can't help you, but all I can say is I feel your pain.

14. kerryg profile image82

sunforged, not at all! I am totally going to go print a lot of that info out so I can refer back to it. smile Thanks!

Irohner, the green smoothies were a calculated decision on my part to ignore the low CPC because they were something I wanted to write about. smile (I'm sure part of my problem is that I do that a little too often!) They also do tie in with some of my other health/nutrition hubs, so I wrote the women's health one in particular to get more internal backlinks to my women's health hubs, which are among my most consistently successful. I just bought a domain for one of the keywords I've done best with in that topic and am going to experiment with trying to build an authority site, as Ben from Make Money Online With SEO has been talking about recently. It's a topic I could write about in my sleep at this point, so I'm interested to see whether the site or the hubs do better.

15. TheEverythingHub profile image60
    TheEverythingHubposted 14 years ago

You can run adsense off your very first hub you just have to be approved from google first. As per the blogs I think blogger falls under this same category as its not actually your site.
    Quick and good way around this is. Buy a domain at most $10 a year then get hosting $5 a month and install wordpress *free* from wordpress.org install some plugin and you now have your honest true own blog if you are really serious about it

16. profile image0
    aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years ago

Are backlinks from your own blogs less effective though than if you had a link from an unrelated (to you - not to the topic) site?

17. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

You are right about social sites but backlinks from them won't harm you but does add a bit of SEO juice.

Comments... Comments have really helped me on a couple of blogs for which I tried to get backlinks through comments.

I have discussed comments, social bookmarking and other methods of gaining backlinks in this hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Easy-Free-Backlinks

18. profile image0
    aquaseaCreativeposted 14 years ago

Excellent. Will go have a read. Thanks

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)