Warning about SheToldMe

Jump to Last Post 51-66 of 66 discussions (123 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

I have emailed their webmaster and he has deleted my content from his site.
    However he has NOT deleted the URL, so that he still gets the link from Google to his site using my old URL.

I consider this to be dishonest. If I search google for my keywords, every time, the shetoldme.com URL comes up in front of my real hubpages.com URL. But the shetoldme.com URL no longer contains any content, just ads and pointers.
    What do you think?

2. deartfuldodger profile image60
    deartfuldodgerposted 14 years ago

Here is what I think,

You would never of had any legitimate reason to delete your content from that page.

You had a backlink and a perhaps a small traffic flow - there was no reason to stop that.

Why did you request such an unusual thing?

As far as dishonest goes, social bookmarking usually isnt  intended to be done by the content owner.

an example, I can go bookmark your content on that page, digg, reddit and dozens of other sites - my intent would be show off your quality writing, thinking that other people should read it.

SheToldme is unique in that they offer an adsense sharing program, but that it pretty much a novelty. So no dishonesty, just looks like your misunderstanding the purpose of bookmarking

If he did delete your content than it still takes google a couple of weeks to deindex the page from search results - when the shetoldme link comes up, where does it lead when you click it?

sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps I did not explain it well  . . .click here to see what I mean . .
      http://shetoldme.com/Lifestyle/Medical- … Costa-Rica
      It even says in their summary text "click here to visit the authors web site", but there is no longer any link on the target page.
      This page used to contain the summary and link to my hub at hubpages but no longer contains anything to do with it.
      BUT in Google, this page still comes up BEFORE any of my real hubs, so that shetoldme.com is always before my, real, hub, but their pàge no longer contains any valid information related to the search of my hub. They are piggy.backing off my articles URL to keep their place in the Google ranking, and above my real hub which does contain the real article.
      Am I explaining this properly?

3. deartfuldodger profile image60

I think you missed everything that I bothered to write last time.

The reason why the urls dont lead to any of your content, is because they are deleted

Google will take weeks to DEindex those links, it doesnt disappear immediately

I dont think james reads this thread anyway

and anyone can bookmark any url they please, it was nice of james to comply with your request

I still don't agree . . .?
      If the URL's have indeed been deleted from shetoldme.com, then why does Google not return "URL not found" when I click on it?
      And . . surely the fact that the URL is found by Google means that it will not be de-indexed, yes?

4. deartfuldodger profile image60

"And . . surely the fact that the URL is found by Google means that it will not be de-indexed, yes?"

no..it will be found until it is de-indexed

You have a point about a "url not found" message not coming up

On a properly managed page you dont get that message, instead the link leads to a 404 page -sometimes this is obvious like here at hubpages

http://hubpages.com/hub/furburgers

(Sorry that page does not exist)

It looks like on shetoldme, the link redirects to the front page instead of an obvious 404 - it just looks different/unique because the chitika ads and adsense are changing  based on search terms/Url keywords

I dont know that your specific URL's are or are not deleted, but I do know that there is no way for you to tell for a couple of weeks...certainly your content is gone from the page

Why did you do that?

Sorry, but I still can't agree . . .
      Click this to see what happens when a URL truly does not exist on shetoldme.com
      http://shetoldme.com/fgfgfgfgfgfg.html

Now click this to see what happens for the URLs for my pages
      http://shetoldme.com/World/Too-much-tim … hing-to-do

It is not at all the same thing, so it appears that my page's defunct URLs do indeed still exist on the server, ie they have not been deleted.

As far as I know, Google de-indexes URLs when they cease to exist. As my defunct URLs do exist, Google will find them, and so they will stay indexed, and they will continue to take precedence over the real URLs on all Google searches.   

Or am I missing something?

PS. I appreciate your help on this.

5. deartfuldodger profile image60

You did indeed prove that its not as simple as a 404 page redirect, but I cant wrap my head around  the problem any farther.

google will deindex the link when the page it leads to no longer exists - when the crawler follows the link and no such page exists, if teh site is designed so that links with no destination automatically redirect, im not sure how google will react as far as keeping the link - but Im 90% sure taht even if the link never disappeared, the hubpage leading to it whould quickly outrank it

I dont see any benefit to the shetoldme site to keep track of a URL w/o having it lead directly to content with advertising on it

james is quick to email back, give him a business day, im sure he will explain fully (well i hope so, he always has in the past)

im still very curious why you deleted your backlinks that were ranking well?

I think he is keeping the defunct URL's precisely because they lead to pages full of advertising on his site. Isn't that the point of his business?

He is getting free links to his site and is loathe to part with them. It took him 10 minutes to remove all of my content, but five hours later, and many emails from me about the rogue URLs, there is no reply and the rogue URL's are still there.

Also, this is not a page redirect as the URL stays the same. He is simply not pulling my content up from his database. Otherwise the page is the same as before, he still ranks above my pages in Google (and is using my content to do so), and he still gets the advertising revenue. Nice little earner - but not entirely honest.

I have repeatedly asked him to remove all references to my old URLs which contain the titles of my articles, and to remove my name from his site and my name from his URL summaries in Google.
      These requests have met with a stony silence.

Do you know him? Can you get him to take action?

I started this whole mess this morning after reading this thread (Warning about shetoldme), and also realising that as long as shetoldme.com has my articles referenced, I will never get a direct hit from Google, as shetoldme are always ranked way above my actual hub in Google - and also, it hasn't earned me a penny so far.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

I havent written for shetoldme for a while( just busy) but I can
    vouch James is communicative and answers emails promptly.
    I liked that.

I have sent half a dozen emails - no response.

7. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Sanny, if Shetoldme was ranking above your articles and you thought that was hurting your own traffic, then you have every right to pull your content as you did. But while you may own the copyright to the content, I'm not quite so sure you own the copyright to the URL. You'd really have to research that, particularly since it's not exactly the same URL. The STM URL has "shetoldme" in it.

There is something called "click friction" which basically means that the more times someone has to click to get to something, the more chance you have to lose them, I'm not so sure that the concept is totally bad here. Shetoldme.com me only pays a portion of the Adsense revenue, but the same is true for HubPages.

Anyhoo, best of luck getting this resolved!

Thanks for your support.
      If I search the shetoldme.com web site, I find references to and content from, my copyrighted articles. So the next step is to report him via Adsense DMCA. He has essentially highjacked my URLs, keywords and summary text to gain Google page ranking, thus sending traffic which should go to my hubs, to his page stuffed full of advertising, and links to other articles on his site.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is spiteful. James is a good guy, has taken his time to come and answer everybodie's queries.... and you are threatening to file a DMCA to google because he errr...... stole your URLs? Sorry to break it to you, but I could steal your URLs right now, and there is nothing that you could do about it. This is a mans income, life, and job.... and you have the audacity to threaten and insult him like this in the name of hubpages and in front of a public audience? You do not own the words in the dictionary and you are genuine willing to destroy somebodies livelyhood like this? Does the Google Keyword Tool own the copyright to every keyword in existance then?

8. SheToldMe.com profile image57
    SheToldMe.composted 14 years ago

Hello,
    I've come to this forum again because sannyasinman mentionned hubpages forums today in an email (along with different threats) so I'm going to repeat what I told him:
    " Google is not my property "

When he first wrote to me asking me to delete his account and content, I did it immediatly, notified him and then went to bed. The next morning I had half a dozen emails asking me to remove the urls from google and that I was dishonest, etc.
    I took the time to explains points by points where it was obvious he was mistaken in his understanding of the internet's working.

And after 7 days I now have the threats email. I can't do anything about it, GOOGLE CACHE IS NOT MY PROPERTY, ASK THEM DIRECTLY !

To explain the 404 page, it's simple: If you look a page such as http://shetoldme.com/anythinggoes it returns a 404 error page, but if you look a page such as http://shetoldme.com/EXISTING_CATEGORY/anythinggoes then the script I use will redirect you to http://shetoldme.com/EXISTING_CATEGORY if the "anythinggoes" doesn't correspond to a known scoop.
    This is the way my script is coded, because it uses such a system in order to have any kind of urls without having the urls in a database.
    But when the scoop doesn't exist, no meta description or title is used, so the page is a clear duplicate for google and next time google visits the page it will desindex in order to keep its index clean. That's how google works.

sannyasinman you need to be more patient, and honestly the reason why you chose to delete your account and content from shetoldme in the first place was wrong, because you've been afraid of this thread and didn't take the time to read all pages (which I understand) but I also explained to you by email the "freshness boost" that explains why shetoldme is listed before your own page for a few days/weeks, but will go lower afterwards when the freshness boost of the new page has expired.

Anyway, I can't do anything more about your threats, do as you wish, but perhaps in a few years you'll remember how mistaken you were at this time. In any cases you're welcome back to register again at shetoldme at anytime, no hard feelings! :-)

Cheers,
    James

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi James! thanks for taking the time to come over here and clarify. and thanks for your site. it has been helping me a lot, and i really appreciate being a part of it.

best regards.

9. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

To think that you are telling people to lighten up Sannayisman? So are you going to update us? Are you going to report stolen URLs? Or have you realised how pathetically stupid and illogical this is yet?

10. Natural Medicine profile image60
    Natural Medicineposted 14 years ago

Well, I for one am very glad I took the time to read all 6 pages of this thread. I've made up my mind now, and will join shetoldme.
    Thanks Ryankett, for calling out exactly what I thought about sannayisman.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't real all 6 pages but quite a few posts to get an idea what this thread is about...
      I won't suggest joining something that does not comply with its TOS. I haven't had a single ad impression at shetoldme.com since last month.... before that I had 22 ad impressions. Quite a few of my scoops submitted last month made the first page but still no ad impressions. Just wanted to inform you so you don't feel bad about this amateur behaviour once you join the site.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have never recieved impressions either, but i DO recieve CLICKS..... adsense doesn't record it's impressions for some reason, but I had 10 clicks worth $4 last week on 120 scoops.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image71
          Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rite, point cleared, thanx! smile

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
          Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's why I've decided not to use it, $4 might be very nice now, but if there's even the slightest chance that it poses any long term risk by not working with Adsense in the way it should, I'm going to avoid it.

That and the fact that if you view scoops whilst logged out there are loads of Adsense ads bundled together in a mess at the top of the page and I'm almost certain that your supposed '100%' share is only from the one single ad unit embedded within your scoop.

1. Natural Medicine profile image60
            Natural Medicineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Got to agree with you on that point. I got the impression also that you'll get commission only on the single ad within your scoop.

I did sign up, but only 'scooped' 2 of my links.

11. SheToldMe.com profile image57

Hello all,

It's not an impression, that's the way it works as explained in the pages on the site:
    1 ad for you (the one embedded in your scoop's description text), 2 for me if you have no referrer.
    1 ad for you, 1 for me and 1 for your referrer if you signed up under a referrer.

That way a member doesn't lose anything if he has a referrer or not.

----
    Now about AdSense not recording ad impressions from SheToldMe.com, well that's not what I witness from a local friend who is also on shetoldme, he simply created a URL Channel in his adsense account and from then shetoldme appeared in his reports. There's nothing special about shetoldme that would prevent it from showing up in adsense reports if you make sure you know how to create a url channel correctly.

----
    I don't remember now what other points I wanted to explain, but just let's say that you're welcome to register, or not, but I'm certainly as much or even more preoccupied by the well being of my adsense account as you are! So if you trust yourself in complying with adsense tos, then you could trust me the same. I don't know since when you have an adsense account but me it's from december 2003, and I already have another adsense sharing site since 2006 and my account is still in good standing up to now, because I'm stricter than adsense's own guidelines, I don't want to be on the borderline but well inside! :-)

As for the traffic on shetoldme.com it is increasing slowly, if you don't have ad impressions don't blame the site, it receives about 6k unique visitors per day. Each time someone comes to a scoop page, perhaps 25% will go to the target site, another percentage will click an ad or go to another page of the site and 50% will bounce back to wherever they came from. But your scoops need to attract visitors on their own merits, by the choice of topic and keywords.
    There's a public third party stats recording shetoldme's traffic available at this address if you're interested in watching the progress and to see which scoops attract lots of visitors: http://extremetracking.com/open;unique?login=shetoldm

Cheers,
    James

12. SheToldMe.com profile image57

I'd like to make it clear that from now on if you have any question regarding shetoldme, you should contact me on my contact form, or simply answer between yourselves, but don't expect me to come back to this forum to answer them.

As I posted my last message, I got caught in HubPages's spam filters and my account has been suspended and all messages in this thread removed. I was afraid all time I've spent here answering questions had been lost, including my latest post. It is only after talking to the HubPages team that I was able to have my post posted back up and I was informed to take care in the future about not spamming.

So, my decision is to never write anymore post here, so that I won't be seen as spamming forums. And to be honest I only registered here to answer this thread, this is not a support forum for my site. So if you doubt shetoldme is any good to your sites or articles or adsense account, then fine don't register or if you have registered already simply ask me by email to delete your account and scoops, I'll do it immediatly upon reading your email, no problem :-)

Have a nice day all and sorry for the double post, but I wanted to explain why I won't reply any further to any question here.

Cheers,
    James

13. profile image0
    BookFlameposted 14 years ago

Jees, I just joined a month ago, but it seems every time I turn around, someone thinks you're cheating or up to no good! Ignorance on HP is not bliss, but dangerous!

14. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I finally got around to joining.  Reading James' posts here has, I think, cleared up any uncertainty.  And, the traffic link was nice of him.

15. Chapter profile image40
    Chapterposted 13 years ago

i delete my adsense too. I hope i will not make mistake again

1. Chapter profile image40
      Chapterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry not delete my adsense. i am out from shetoldme

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is nothing wrong with SheToldMe, why did you delete your account?

16. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Oli is it safe to include your AdSense Id in Shetoldme?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)