student gets throat slashed in lab at UCLA

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

What is wrong with these kids today?  Violence of this caliber is occurring everywhere and seems to be progressively more common.

http://www.fox5sandiego.com/news/kswb-u … 5099.story

Yesterday morning I was watching the news about the teen violently killed in Chicago and listened to the Mayor address the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA_7UaZ3Lg8

And of course anyone can dig up number upon numbers of the same things happening all over the world.

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Over here 4 teens around age 17 went on a killing pact and killed a mother and slashed the throat (but didn't kill) an 11 year old girl. The only motive was a "killing pact" they made that said they picked that house at random and killed everyone inside of it.

~thranax~

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I doubt you are kidding.  It sorta makes me fearful that this sort of inability for kids to understand the importance of human life.

One of the things the Mayor of Chicago was saying is that our kids are growing up "believing that their lives are worthless and therefore others are worthless" (might not be an exact word for word quote but that is what he said) and also suggested that parents take more time with their kids.

That is seems that our kids are losing a place in the world because they are in other words, being forgotten by the ones who are supposed to care for them the most and relying on peers who feel the same way about life and life of others as their support groups.

sad  *that is me very sad*

3. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

When I was in High School just about everyone who was old enough to drive a car carried a shotgun in the rear window of their trucks. I never heard of any school shootings back then (almost 30 years)but it wouldn't have been a good idea to attempt it, everyone was packing!

1. profile image0

lol, these days they don't carry shot guns, it's more like ak 47 and other semi automatic weapons.  Plus they don't "brawl" like men, they "gang" up on the weakest of the bunch and go all out crazy.

I don't support violence at all and stuff but at least it used to be a fair fight, you know; kids fight all the time.  I think it is to be expected that little Timmy Turner is gonna come home with a bloody nose one day...but killing, critically injuring, throat slashing, gang killing, killing with no motive etc...

Oy me my head is spinning.

4. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

No one at my high school showed up without some sort of weapon unless they didn't care about finishing out the day. That was, let's see, how many years since high school? 30 to 35. I liked when we moved to Utah, it's true, the personal assault statistics were so much lower, everyone was armed.

5. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I have only been out of high school for 13 years but I remember the year that I graduated or just prior, the schools all over Washington and other states were putting up metal detectors and banning the use of back packs, hats, baggy pants, bandanas, wearing certain colors, wearing certain name brand clothing and also issued a curfew for anyone under 18.

Then it seemed like these high school gangs were just glorified dorks trying to be hard core.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats been going on in other parts of the country for 40 years, I was talking about a columbine thing.

6. sabrebIade profile image80
    sabrebIadeposted 14 years ago

Man...I remember back "in the day" that if anyone pulled a weapon in a fight in High School they were considered a coward.
    Even their own friends shunned them because things were settled man to man (or woman to woman).
    Something changed all that.

1. profile image0

Prolly the lack of parental guidance. lol

When I stepped even an inch out of line my dad would woop my arse!  lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)