Is there anything Barrak Obama has done right?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (163 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

There seems to be a definite division between Obama supporters and non-Obama supporters.  Is there any common ground we can find amidst the rubble?

1. anime_nanet profile image58
      anime_nanetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure Barack Obama can spell his name correctly. You, on the other hand...

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that the best you got?

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry and stand corrected.  Do you have anything else to add to the topic?

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there is. But there are plenty of people who hated him before he had done anything wrong.

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who?

1. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you want a list of names?

2. Friendlyword profile image60
          Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You

NO

2. profile image57
        mindcheck101posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you 100 percent this mess was created long before he ever ran for the position, it's hard to see anything right when you're already buried in a sea of wrong.

1. TimTurner profile image69
          TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But for how long are we going to play that card?  He is approaching one year in office.

All this extra spending was not because of Bush.  Obama has outspent Bush by 3 times in 8 months.  Our deficit is almost $1.5 trillion.

Obama was about change and fixing stuff.  Obama needs to focus instead of trying to do a million things like going to Denmark to push for the Olympics.

3. profile image55
      gerd trayversposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is not about individuals[see Marx and Hegel] but the only positive to be taken from the election of Barack Obama is that millions of white US voters disgarded their prjudices and supported his candidacy.

Ah, so the 'white' people who voted for him are still prejudiced, they just managed to put their prejudice on hold long enough to cast their votes?

roll

1. profile image55

So you deny the material existance of racism?

That's nothing like what I said, is it?

1. profile image55

You either engage in a discourse on this issue, or shut up.

Please refrain from personal attacks. Thank you.

2. profile image55

Also check out the definition of 'disgarded'. Why are you 'whites' so defensive?

Who told you I'm white?

1. profile image55

From your comments it is difficult to assertain exactly what you are.

1. Rhianni32 profile image70
                  Rhianni32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're horrible at this you do know that right?

I already tried to explain to tksensei that slick little one liners are childish and stupid.
                  Does the fact that Obama saved us from a serious Depression count for something? Does it count that the Republican party took eight years to ruin this country, and it took Obama 9 months to fix it? Does the fact that he is on his way to giving this country real Health Care count for something too?  The man is a great President so far. Faults and all. So he did not get the Olympics! The people against Obama are on video tape cheering the lost of the Olympics, what's with that?. To me and the rest of the American People in this country; it was a sad day. President Obama did his part.  Brazil deserved it more, and I congratulate them.

2. tksensei profile image60

An extreme left interpretation of reality only 'counts' for other extreme liberals. But you're certainly welcome to your imaginings.

2. Dame Scribe profile image55
        Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you incognito or jus lurking hmm Obama is trying to clean the mess but don't see anybody helping tongue I say, give him a break. big_smile

Obey your leader...obey!...zombie march in quiet obedience!!!...

2. pageantgirl31413 profile image76
          pageantgirl31413posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think he's truly trying to clean up the mess unfortunately. I see him adding to it sad

4. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No common ground - bout the only thing he has done right is taking vacations and having beer parties in the white house - hell how can you get those two things wrong?

2. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

He has probably done something right but its overshadowed by all the things he's done wrong.

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Not much so far if you ask me. Backing up from missile defense in Eastern Europe seems to be the only thing I can agree with him...

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not so sure Misha, that was an excellent bargaining chip to gain Russia's support to aid with Iran and N. Korea. He has none left now does he? Aside from all that, he did win the election. He is our President and I hate to speak ill of any President while in office. I leave that to others.

4. sooner than later profile image59
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

He brainwashed loads of people to vote for him. Myself, not included.

So you think he was able to persuade the people away from voting for McCain how?

I think he brainwashed McCain into running a crappy campaign.

2. profile image57
        james hoyerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid he is going too go by the way of Jimmy Carter if ha doesn't get his priorities togeather,I think he should concentrate getting people back to work first, then the rest will fall into place.

He's going to make Carter look like a great president in comparison if he keeps on like this.

3. sooner than later profile image59
        sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By proposing more false hope.

5. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

I noticed that a bag of frozen chicken breasts went from $5.79 to $5.29 last week.  That's all I got.  smile

They might get a LOT cheaper if Obama encourages any more protectionist tarrifs against Chinese goods.

1. Tom Cornett profile image80
        Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cheaper chicken....cool!  smile

Not if you're a chicken farmer/processor/retailer

6. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Not to mention cheaper gasoline prices!

7. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

I'll have to get back to you, as soon as I can find something 'right'.

Where do you think we would be now if the other party won the election?

1. jiberish profile image79
        jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, let's play.

If the other party would have won, MSNBC would not be tanking because then the Libs would be draggin that administration over the coals.  We wouldn't be concentrating all our time fighting to keep crazys like Van Jones, and Valerie Jarrett from further filling the administration with communist.  Acorn would not be unraveled, and the mass confussion thrown at us daily,(Health reform, Crap & Trade, etc) would probably be a little less choking, and people would have a minute to breath. I could go on, but then be accused of whining.

And the next time you start a forum, you may want to spell the Presidents' name correctly!

I am sorry if you have not read back and saw my appology but I guess the pertinant issue is not my mistake but my opinions.

2. rhamson profile image72

Sure you are on but I have to go after this and I will be sure to check back to read your reply.

Where would we be.  Probably entering another great depression.  This might give us a good reason to enter into a war with Iran because of their rigged election and nuclear threat, kind or pump up the economy with the no bid contracts again.  We might even be setting up another missile crisis with the Russians.  We might even have a new president because of the passing of the newly elected one.  That's just for starters.

What we have now is a leveling off of the recession,  the beginning of TALKS with Iran and a healthy younger leader who has a better probably of completing his term.

I have a lot more confidence with that than what the other outcome would have brought.

Remember that mostly ALL politicians are slime bags but some are less slimy.

This is my point exactly, the slime in this administration is keeping up from dealing with the real issues. You never heard me say that McCain/Palin would have done a better job, on some issues, yes, on others no.  But please keep an open mind as to the dealing in the WH, they are not entirely all what Obama wants, he is being guided by some very extreme individuals giving him Bad information.

1. Flightkeeper profile image68
              Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know Jib.  Obama has surrounded himself with people he knows for many years.  I have to think that the guidance he has was one he was seeking and agrees with.  I am more troubled that he is comfortable just making speeches instead of taking a lead on making decisions.  The health care reform and the economic stimulus bill were all handed over to the Democratic party of both houses to do what they will. I would have thought he would work more closely with them since it's ultimtely his name signing them into law.  The same regarding his lack of leadership and a strong message in Afghanistan.

1. profile image32
                derek63posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nicely worded Flightkeeper. The President is exactly who he was before he was elected President (one of the most liberal senators). Nothing he has done or hasn't done should be a surprise to anyone. We should pray for all of our leaders that they make decisions that benefit our country and the world, for the good of our children and future generations. My hope is that this president will lean a little more to the right everyday.

After reading your response I think we think more along the same lines than I had originally thought.

Yes I gree that there are a lot of things that are a little on the hairy side and surrounding himself with long know lobbyists and Sachs-Freeman heirarcy is really disturbing.

I guess what we really need to do is speak to the issues and voice our concern when things don't add up.  He even told us to hold him accountable so he can clearly get the message.  I am sorry to have lumped you in with those that clearly bash the person and not the job.

8. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Obama is an epic fail so far.  Of course he still has three years to correct it...or make it worse than Jimmy Carter's administration and then he will be the worst president in US history.

Where do you think Bush rates on that scale?

Why are you dragging in Bush when we are talking about Obama.  Get over it!  Bush has finished his 8 years.

Geez!

I was merely following your lead.  If you want to make a reference to Jimmy Carter as being the worst president in history where does that put Bush?  Not my tract but yours.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why didn't you say the same about Carter?  We will be suffering for the Bush administration mistakes for decades.

Same refrain: Get over it!  Bush has finished his 8 years.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

I agree, Bush is finished.  Get over it, so is Carter!

The thing is you just can't negate the fact of the matter that Bush put us on an eight year journey to this place.  He started the war in Iraq and he ruined the economy with his rich friends and their greed.

You now expect Obama to fix this collosal ruination in a a few years and if he can't because of the devastation that took place he will be a failed leader.

I believe the term instant amnesia was a perfect term applied to Americans by the europeans is sometimes very accurate.

Why don't you try to figure out a way to help instead of cherrypicking inflamatory comments that only help fuel the divide.

It's my opinion.  If you weren't so in love with the Great Obama and such a Bush hater you wouldn't think it was inflammatory.

And what do you mean figure out a way to help.  Obama has tons of people trying to help him out, why would he listen to me?

You do have a point, why WOULD he listen to you?  Did you vote for McCain-Palin?

Thank you!
                    And yes tongue

What makes you think I am an Obama lover?  Have I given you that impression? I am sorry if you take my comments to lead you to that conclusion.  I am trying to give the guy a chance and hear what he has to say.

Your comments and inuendo merely expose your bias and I am trying to understand where that comes from.  I hope it is not raw feelings as anybody has a tendency to miss the point when they are in that state.

"Get over it" is a very defensive statement and indicates a lack of constructive continuity in any conversation.  Or, instant amnesia is a state of being in your bias.

I think you're an Obama lover because you dragged Bush into this even tho Obama was the topic and your regard of the state of America as a colossal ruination because of Bush.  Those are not the words of a moderate.  And I said get over it because Bush keeps being dragged into a thread which is not about him.

And you are very smart to think up constructive continuity and instand amnesia in a state of being in your bias because I never would. lol

9. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

And he also kept the U.S. from being a further embarrassment to the world by keeping Sarah Palin out of office.  This one accomplishment is worth many shortcomings he may have!

10. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't it be great if ANY sitting President would just listen to us smile

I don't think he has been in office long enough for me to state an opinion, except on Military spending.

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I think Gerd is from the UK. Just a guess.

I figured the same.  As you know Holle, my father landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day.  He further went on to fight in the Battle of the Bulge and into Germany and helped liberate the people held in the death camps.  Memories are short in some people.

12. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

13. bradleyshartman profile image61
    bradleyshartmanposted 14 years ago

After eight years of Bush tyranny, we can't even let Obama get through one year without showing our ignorance.  Has anyone ever thought that this may be the reason we're in the shape we're in?  Get rid of the parties and vote for the person instead, I mean really Republicans, you wanted to make Palin second in charge in the White House.  So, all I'm saying is instead of critiquing about something we do not fully know about, lets help create ideas which will benefit us all.  Nothing worse in the world anyway then Politicians, Critics and TV Evangelists, okay maybe Lawyers and a growing number of doctors.  Either way, it has been proven, our government is not going to help us, it's up to us to figure a way out and knock some sense back into them.  Now for all the comments about to follow, let them rip, from stupid and ignorant to intelligent and supportive.  I welcome them all.

14. free4india profile image60
    free4indiaposted 14 years ago

Being the President and taking decisions may be an easy task, but making all the people happy of the entire globe being a President is an impossible task.

Can you tell any person is in the world who has been able to satisfy all the human beings ?

15. profile image52
    Director Webposted 14 years ago

I am not from America and I can't say i would like to be, but I can clearly observe that most US citizens are comparing what Obama did right for them (and compare prices of chickens, instead of they becoming vegetarian) and not for the other innocent people who suffers because of not doing anything (see Iraq War for example). Have a good day, americans wink

16. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

"becoming vegetarian"?

?????????????????

17. pageantgirl31413 profile image76
    pageantgirl31413posted 14 years ago

Just some information for all of you. It is possible to have a conversation, no matter how heated it gets, WITHOUT personal attacks. There is no way that we know the people on here, nor can we assume who they are. We don't know personal experiences or where they came from. Therefore, personal attacks shouldn't be used. It is rude and destroys the conversation. Let's all be mature and stick to the topic of the forum post. Thank you!

18. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

After four pages of bickering and sniping, NO one can post a serious or substantial positive achievement of the current president?

Seriously, I wish someone would.

If not, that speaks volumes.

To be fair, it does take time to see real results from any presidential action. (Hum the Jeopardy theme song while you are thinking.)

1. egiv profile image59
      egivposted 14 years agoin reply to this

People aren't interested in facts, they are interested in making themselves feel better by blindly and stubbornly arguing the republican or democrat arguments. But just for you, here goes.

Whether you are republican or democrat, the FACTS are the Obama inherited an economic recession, a wasteful war, and worldwide hatred or the United States of America. That's not my opinion, that is what happened. His achievements, therefore, are measured in terms of getting America back on the right track. There are many:

-His policies have turned around the economic recession. Not only this, the money spent is being used to improve infrastructure in America, like 2500 new highway projects. Yes, debt is a problem, I am as nervous as the next American, but without turning the trend around the debt would only continue to get bigger with no hope for saving it.

-He has all but ended the Iraq war, which was, by all authoritative accounts, launched under false pretenses. He is about to make a serious decision on Afghanistan, where al-Qaeda is based with help from the Taliban. They are the ones who attacked us, not Iraq.

-World opinion of the United States has drastically improved. Not only because we went in another direction from the hated Bush administration by voting him into office, but because his policies are not arrogant and decisive as his predecessor's were (ex. missile system in poland, calling countries like Iran "evil"). I know many say we shouldn't care what the world thinks, we do what's best for us, which, on a certain level, is right. However, world opinion matters; if the world hates us, the terrorism will continue and continue to be supported. It's in OUR OWN INTEREST that the opinion of the US is not that we are an Islam-hating, ignorant, greedy empire (which is what it often is).

I could go on, but these are the most obvious, and the post is already long enough.

1. Friendlyword profile image60

Now somebody gonna come and talk about your spelling or some other nonsense. Great job!

2. profile image0

His policies have done nothing to better the economy, they did not bring us back from the "brink of disaster" because it was never at the ledge.

The military has all but ended the war in Iraq, Obama as in Afghanistan has done nothing!

World opinion, ok, I will give you that. But the leaders of other Countries think he is a putz and are all too willing to test his resolve. Since he really doesn't stand for anything I guess his resolve will just melt away like his popularity.

1. egiv profile image59

Hindsight is 20/20, eh? The economy is recovering from one of the worst recessions since the depression, that's fact. No legitimate economist will tell you otherwise. We weren't on the ledge, we had already crossed over it.

The military doesn't decide policy, it executes orders. The commander in chief gives orders, and Obama's were to leave Iraq. He has made his position on both Iraq and Afghanistan very clear in several different speeches, let alone his policies. Iraq = leave. Afghanistan = defeat Taliban so al-Qaeda can't regroup there.

Anything else?

1. profile image0

Yeah, a lot else. Obama's policies won the day in Iraq, those order followers will be glad to hear that. Obama says leave Iraq, but they are still there, guess he doesn't hold any sway?

This is maybe the 25th worst economy since the great depression and Obama is just making it worse with tax and spend policy, but he brought us back? Excuse me.
            Buuuwwwwwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry had to give that the attention it needed.

What exactly is Obama's policy in Afghanistan wait until more of Al-Qaeda moves into the country to give them a fighting chance?

Obama is a failure of monumental proportion and will be the cause of a huge defeat of Democrats in 2010!

19. nicomp profile image60
    nicompposted 14 years ago

I was impressed by his deflection of the race issue stirred up by Jimmy "Worse President in the 20th Century" Carter. He said something like "I was already black when I ran and black when I was elected." That was a classy way to handle the situation.

20. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I don't get why people think it's all Obama's fault when he can only move with the support of the other gov't members n they move based on whats good for business or maybe the people hmm he's not a absolute ruler.

You don't try out for the Quarterback spot if you don't want the game.

1. Dame Scribe profile image55

You tryin tell me to shup or what hmm tongue lol

Mr. President? Is that you?

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No Dame, we don't think it's all his fault. Yet we think what he does is not helping, but hurting. smile

1. Dame Scribe profile image55

Changes do take time to take effect though smile jus like meds tongue lol

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah, the changes that he is making will bring NEGATIVE effect, not positive. That's the point smile

Continuing your medical analogy - he is giving more and more antibiotics to a person suffering from dysbacteriosis. smile

21. Dame Scribe profile image55

Maybe what he himself would like to see is separate from what the rest of the gov't body wants tho hmm these may not be completely his own decisions but as President he must say this is what's going to get done.

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, he is off wishing and manipulating  his idealist rules for his own agenda for real. Using Czars to bypass the Cabinet and skirt the Legislative Branch, pushing his own agenda just under the limits of executive power. Trying to make it a one party system.

Attempting to Condition the public to fall in-line blindly. And you can bet he is not excuting his own decisions, yes I agree. Its visions of opertunistic idealisms, his upbringing, and of those who paid to get him there?

He, himself, most defenitly does want different. States Openly the Constitution he swore to defend is flawed. so why take the Oath?

The thing is though, people have caught on to it.
      In 2012, I hope he is gone and he can take his social Idealistic dreaming with him on the way out.

America is not a south-side Chicago experment is re-distributed socialised power of the few, using selective housing as a token pay back!  To make it look like its good for the many!

A welfare state does not make money to self sustain itself, we can not live on hand out after hand out, and call it stimulating or Making a life!

He paints himself Bad without any help.

22. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Absolutely, I do agree in reality there is a very narrow way a president can walk, yet he is consistently walking the left side of this way. smile

23. Dame Scribe profile image55

And isn't that a great way to paint a bad president hmm

24. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

IDK Dame. All what I am saying is that I think he did not do too many things the way I think is right. In fact I could not find more than one he did. smile

25. visitmaniac profile image59
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

I just wanted to though this question out there because I am curious. Why anymore with like our last 3 presidents are they looked at so negatively? Its as if we blame them for everything. We no longer look at our presidents as leaders but instead someone to blame for everything wrong in our lives. We have just as much say we vote for who we put in office. We can protest and impeach whoever is in office.
    I don't know to me it is kind of sad when you think about it that no one believes in the American spirit like we used to once.

We can't just impeach a president because his poll numbers slide.

And respect for the office of president was spoiled right around the same time a certain blue dress was spoiled.

Amen Sister! Having sex in the White House was far worse than every Repuplican President; starting with Reagan; comming  into office and starting some useless war in some nowhere country to rape and rob this country for their Defense contractor friends. Leaving Deficits in their wake every single time. But the one President that left the country in great shape and his marriage in ruins is the one you remember. Now you can talk about altered states of reality.

A thousand apoligies to you Dude. You really need to explain yourself alot more clearly. That's a mans thing to do.

2. profile image56
          C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who approved the budgets?  By law a President can not declare war.  He can deploy troops for a limited amount of time.  If congress wanted, they could have pulled out a long time ago. Instead they just kept funding a war they said they were against. They wouldn't pull out and they continued to fund. what does that tell you? Logic dictates one of three things. One they are hooking up friends in DOD contracting as well. Two, there is something to be defended/gained by going to war. Three, they simply don't have the fortitude to stick with their beliefs and ethics.  Which one is it?  By the way according to campaign promises we should be out of Iraq by now. We are NOT.  GITMO won't be closed by its deadline either.  He has continued a failed idea of "stimulus".  He has decided to go after health care, something that Hillary failed at, Kennedy failed at as well.  At some point these guys will get it. The American people by and large don't want government run health care.

People are selling their homes to pay a hospital bill. People are dying because they dont want to pay for a surgery that will force them to sell their house and put their family on the street. AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!.  Stop addressing the American People as if we are stupid. I for one am not going to let you or anyone else outright lie about the people not wanting Health Reform WITH some type of Government run option.  You dont care what the American People want anyway. People like you made your allegiance very clear to the AMERICAN PEOPLE. You're bought and paid for puppets for the Insurance Companies.  Find a forum that caters to the fools you're tryin to lie to.

1. profile image56

Thats a pretty ugly picture you paint. These people you describe, do you know them?

2. profile image56

Ok, so we are having a heated debate.  However it looks as though we got off topic. The question was "is there anything Barak Obama has done right?"  You said "he saved the country from a depression."  I said he has done nothing so far, therefore the question is invalid. The rest of the commentary we engaged in is simply hijacking someone else's thread, so lets quit.  I wrote a HUB on Health Care, read it if you like.  Comment there if you like.  You wrote a HUB about the insurance industry, I'll leave my comments there.

Opps! Never mind...

2. RooBee profile image82
        RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, that's the first time an American president did something scandalous! Oookaay. This is precisely the kind of statement (had it been made by someone you disagree with) you'd jump on, ready with a snappy remark followed by one of these: roll

Gotta get you with a dose of your own once in a while, you cheerful chap! smile

He has some pretty good arguments when he takes the time to write them down. Most of the time he's just annoying.

Amen my Brother!

26. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Yes, he said all the right stuff and he promised change! He read his scripts well and deserves an Oscar for the acting!

27. Dame Scribe profile image55

It's easy to jump on the negative wagon with others when our own problems aren't getting solved. tongue the news is famous for promoting criticism, doom and gloom rather than pride in their nation and *leaks* are not that @ all yet we all jump. hmm and react.

28. Jellyrug profile image61
    Jellyrugposted 14 years ago

Let's face it. It is very tough to be a leader amongst so many negative critics. Anyone has a list of what exactly he has done wrong, with positive solutions of how they would do it different?

Here is the story of a true American leader:

The body parts started debating, who should be the President.

The feet claimed they took the body where it needed to be, so they were most important.

The hands argued that they create everything; hence they should lead.

The eyes argued that without them neither the feet, nor the hands would function well, so they should be the President of the body.

The mouth debated the fact that it does more than one thing, including feeding all the body parts, therefore it should lead.

The nose disagreed.

Then the asshole said it wanted to be President and all the body parts laughed, asking "who wants an asshole for a president?"

So, in disgust, the asshole shut closed. A few days later, the whole body stopped functioning from the stress and pain. The feet had difficulty walking and the eyes became blurry. The mouth could no longer eat.

So, all the body parts decided to make the asshole President and life returned to normal.

Moral of the story: The President will always be the asshole.

smile

This particular asshole has to put up with way too much Shit.

If it's too much for him, he shouldn't have run for the office. If it's too much for his supporters, they shouldn't have voted for him.

29. sooner than later profile image59
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

I've just never seen anyone so unknown become a president.

I've never seen a senator that failed to cast a vote on a majority of issues like he did. perhaps it is the unknown that scares me. Now he is revealing his personality at the "too late America" point.

1. egiv profile image59

I understand where you are coming from about fearing the unknown, but fail to see any reason for not knowing what Obama was all about until now. His actions and policies are consistent with campaign promises, which he has made clear in countless speeches and interviews, both during and after the campaign (for god's sakes you can't turn on the tv for 5 minutes without seeing the guy, how is it possible not to know about his personality?)

30. gym-fitness profile image62
    gym-fitnessposted 14 years ago

he will be remembered as the president with a name picked from random letters you end up with in a game of scrabble

1. egiv profile image59

Clearly there's nothing else to remember him for...

31. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

Its unfair to ask the question "what has he done right?"  That implies that he has done something. Its only 9 months in.  Nothing substantial other than amass more debt.

I guess my question was a bit sarcastic in its structure but it was a result of getting a feeling of the negative posts that have been posted by others.

I agree that it has been only nine months in (sounds a bit rhetorical doesn't it) and what kind of progress can you expect given the way fiscal spending and studies are done.  Anything on a short term study of the progress would be more conjecture rather than subsequent.

Did he stave off the wolves of depression through the bail outs or did he just delay the inevitible I guess are the questions to be realized as time goes by.  Should he have allowed an out and out depression which still benefits the rich or was it done to placate the middle class with false hope?

1. profile image56

See thats the rub isn't it. No one can really answer those questions yet.  We know that both Bush and Obama have engaged in "Stimulus".  We still don't know if it will in fact divert the economy from a full on depression.  Technically he has done something, we just don't know what yet! Thats a tough spot to be in isn't it? History will judge.

1. profile image0

He spent 200 Billion dollars and the unemployment rate has gotten worse, yeah, he did something alright!

1. profile image56

Thats the short answer to those who insist on saying we have averted a depression. I don't think we have. My only point is that at this point who knows.  So far it does look like the gamble hasn't paid off. Further why anyone would trust a government solution, from either party this day in age is beyond me.

32. Dominionmaster2 profile image59
    Dominionmaster2posted 14 years ago

Ok I hate questions like this. Tell me one president who ever did something that made the entire country happy with him all at once. I hate G.W Bush but It doesn't do any good for me to slam him for all his blunders and oh boy he had some doosies! All politicians have their moments. Being the best politician in washington is like being the smartest kid on the bus with down syndrome.

33. profile image52
    scribebobposted 14 years ago

There aren't many things that President Obama has done wrong -- and no critical ones.  He inherited he worst set of problems any president ever has from the worst president in history -- George Bush.  We were on the brink of total disaster -- a huge depression -- and the steps Obama took saved us, not that any Republicans noticed.  People say he has "taken on too much"; he had no choice.  The Oval Office was littered with huge dilemmas that wouldn't wait, that Bush left behind and needed attention immediately.  Americans can be proud of his man, whose cool head and responsible actions have given us a chance to return to greatness as a country.  But he still has many huge challenges ahead.  We should help him rather than stand in his way at every step, as the Republicans do.  They are solely interested in bringing him down, no matter the cost to the people.  It is sick.  But they will suffer for it in the long run.

34. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 14 years ago

So after only nine months in office, some people are already declaring the President a failure.  Maybe he should be given a little more time before a conclusion is drawn. 

Would you like to see Sarah Palin-2012! I bet she could clean up this mess. lol

35. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

The thing he is doing right is causing a division in the Democratic party smile

They have control of everything but can't agree on anything.

Never saw that coming but that's the only thing I like about Obama  haha

1. profile image56

Good point. I wonder if the party wanted Candidate Obama over Cadidate Hillary because they thought they would be able to push him around.  I don't know. I do think the Dem's were not looking forward to the possibility of a Hillary House.

36. profile image0

"But for how long are we going to play that card?"

That card will be played as long as there are people who will buy it!

37. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

He is leading, as a president should do.  He took on a fight that many skeptics, even some in his own party, said couldn't be won - healthcare reform.  He articulated a clear choice between compassionate shared responsibility on one side and irrational fear stoked by well financed lies on the other, and has won the argument.  Meaningful healthcare reform legislation will pass thanks to the efforts of many, but especially those of Barak Obama.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pla … 1573760217

Healthcare reform is a long way away from getting passed.  But do you really think that should be a priority right now?

He is dragging his feet about Afghanistan, the economy is still losing jobs (although Obama claims to have saved a bunch) and he is all over the place trying to make everyone happy.

And I didn't know this healthcare plan wasn't universal.  I thought it was but they said 17 million people still wouldn't have insurance with the new healthplan.  So why are we doing it when tax payers will continue to pay for their health care?

I don't get it.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are reducing the deficit, making U.S. companies more competitive with the rest of the civilized world, and helping millions to receive medical treatment that they are currently denied national priorities? Yeah, I'd say so.

Making informed decisions before asking more soldiers, sailors, and marines to put their lives at risk is something else a president should do.  I wish W. had understood that.

But that report is based on something that doesn't even exist yet!  The final healthcare reform bill that goes up for voting is going to be way different than the one they analyzed.

This is just a PR move to get more people behind the new healthcare.

I've been to a county hospital in Chicago because I didn't have healthcare.  It was slow, disgusting and the equipment was old.

I guarantee you that healthcare quality will decrease by a lot if the government is in control of anything.  My dad was in the Army for 27 years and the wait for healthcare was so long and the doctors weren't that attentive.

Everyone who is asking for this bill will pay for it when you try to get care.  I promise you that you don't want this.

1. profile image0

But Obamagod tells them they want it!

2. TimTurner profile image69

The next time you need to go to the hospital, go to your closest county hospital and tell me about your experience.  You won't like it.

1. livelonger profile image87
            livelongerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you believe the current proposals for health care reform include nationalization of hospitals?

And I didn't know this healthcare plan wasn't universal.  I thought it was but they said 17 million people still wouldn't have insurance with the new healthplan.  So why are we doing it when tax payers will continue to pay for their health care?

Ok, I need this explained to me too. But, I doubt the final bill would leave anybody out.  It would be ridiculous to go through all this trouble just to end up where we started... people with no health insurance! Actually, I dont think it could happen. Obama would be a one term President, and the Congress would never have a Democratic Majority ever again. The final bill will cover everyone.

2. profile image0

Yeah, he is leading us to a place we will never be able to escape from.

No Mr. Van Zant, you can always escape to Canada.  It's really nice this time of year. smile

1. profile image0

Hell, this will be Canada soon enough, are Bob and Doug McKenzie still around?

They're still hosers ay

38. profile image0

"The final bill will cover everyone."

You may be right!  And that will be the reason for his defeat in 2012, well that and a few other bonehead things he's done!

Actually there's gonna be another landslide. Presidents that make good on at least half of their campaign promises usually get elected to a second term. Obama has done that and more in his first year.

39. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

U.S. President Barack Obama was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

People it's time to stop your hate mongering, and smell the coffee!  Face it, many of you can't stand the fact that he's doing a great job.  The scary thing about that is how small your minds are...

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA! YEA! YEA! YEA! BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA! YEA! YEA! YEA!
      Lardass Limbaugh is gonna pop a blood vessel behind this.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)