HELP! Somebody stole my content and pictures

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (41 posts)
  1. chantelg4 profile image69
    chantelg4posted 15 years ago

Hi, Can anybody help me on this one. I had placed a google alert on my most popular articles "how to make paper roses" and this morning I woke to find my entire article and photos on someone's blog. Word for word, my instructions, my personal photos. It is strictly our content here at hub pages right? It's not a directory where people just snatch up articles and post where they feel?  This bothers me big time because this is a good paying article, won't be worth much if it's all over the place. Any suggestions on how to deal with this? Here is my original link http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-Paper-Roses and here is the duplicate http://www.yousaytoo.com/darbiz/how-to- … roses/7311 Help?

1. R. Martin Basso profile image68
      R. Martin Bassoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi...
      You are the clear victim of copyright infringement.  If you are indeed the original author, and the photos in question can be verified as being yours, along with the authored content, you can sue the individual for copyright infringement.  The fact that you originaly authored the material on a certain date and time prior to the duplicate, serves as a "poorman's copyright" to which you hold the rights.  Contact the website that is carrying the stolen material; they usually have a 'contact us' link or something like that.  When they respond provide them with whatever documentation you can provide validating your claim and request that they review and compare the two.  Ask them to do this and get back to you with their independent findings when their investigation is concluded into the matter.  When they do, and rule in your favor (if you're being truthful about this, they will) advise them that you need that material of the countefitter taken down from their site and the individual advised that if it happens again, you have a documented history of their past theft of intellectual property against you and you will sue.  Additionally, if the site finds that you were indeed the victim of this supposed theft and refuses to remove the material, then they are culpable as well and the website hosting the stolen material is also liable and can be sued.  This is why you want them to conduct their own investigation into the matter and provide you with the results of their findings.  If they do, and agree with you that you were the victim of intellectual property theft (copyright infringement), the thief in question AND the site are both responsible.
      I hope this helps.
      Respectfully,
      R. Martin Basso

2. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

it looks like a hp look alike site
    contact the site owners : http://www.yousaytoo.com/about/contact_us
    and complain that should get the person banned

it looks like a legit site http://www.whois.ws/whois-com/ip-address/yousaytoo.com/
    based in the us so I doubt u will have a problem!

3. chantelg4 profile image69

It's another hubber, if you follow the profile it leads you right back to hubpages

4. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Well, that has just pissed me off.

He has stolen SunSeven's introduction as wel LOL

"its only been this past few months since I had become more active on the internet . I publish here regularly for the past few weeks......"

He needs banning immediately. This isn't the first time stuff has been stolen, but it's even more annoying when it's another hubpage author. This person is the thief:

http://hubpages.com/profile/darbiz

5. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

That is scary. I had an article from an online magazine "reprinted" by an online newsletter. I reported it to my editor since they had all rights. It's still online. Irritating how many people do not understand copyright or don't care.

6. chantelg4 profile image69

Yes, exactly, another hubber! Disgraceful.  I am so slow at writing to begin with and to see that discourages me. How should I deal with it since it is another hubber?

7. Lissie profile image75

report her to team@hubpages.com link to this thread
    She'll be gone soon I think
    I guess her hubs here are stolen from elsewhere - stupid too to link back to hubpages

8. Mark Knowles profile image57

I would certainly email team@hubpages and tell them. I don't know what they can do about it, because it is reproduced elsewhere, but I would want him banned from hubpages also.

It might not be against their terms of service, but it is downright anti-social behavior and we are a community.

We have had a few people copy hubs and reproduce them here lol -

Not too bright to add a link back to his hubpages' profile though, so he won't be invited to join MENSA anytime soon big_smile

9. chantelg4 profile image69

Just reported him, someone has left a comment over there, appreciate it. You might have missed the response though, it said "if you look at Darbiz's profile you'll see that he is from hubpages" I wrote back and NOT! MINE! And even so, duh, copyright and duplicate content!

10. Bonnie Ramsey profile image69
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years ago

This person did have over 200 hubs. Now nothing! That's wonderful, HP! Shouldn't be bothered with them again any time soon!

Bonnie

11. Lissie profile image75

Wow that was quick!

12. chantelg4 profile image69

Holy Macro, yes that was quick. I didn't want to be a trouble maker, but I worked hard on that article and it's #1 in google. I didn't want to jeopardize it!

I just checked the duplicate article and it is too gone!

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image69
      Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LOL that was quick there, too! I went to the duplicate and posted a comment right after I posted here and it was still there at that time! Maybe this thief is getting what they deserve!

Bonnie

13. Mark Knowles profile image57

You are not being a trouble maker. It is your work, and you have a right to do something about it if it gets stolen.

Hubpages didn't mess around though smile

14. Lifebydesign profile image63
    Lifebydesignposted 15 years ago

All's well that ends well! Good to hear hub was there for you.

15. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

The other site acted quickly and the whole account seems to have been deleted there too.

16. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

Wow for the H-Team...and just a quick comment...What a great family to have here on Hubpages. It always makes me feel so great when everyone bands together...to look out for each other. Chantel glad it got worked out so quick for you.
    regards Zsuzsy

1. compu-smart profile image89
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Your comment and the word  H-Team i like!wink

17. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 15 years ago

Nice to see something like this dealt with in a speedy fashion, long live hub pages!

18. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

Great result - HubPages rocks.
    Well done Chantel - keep on Hubbing!

19. Katherine Baldwin profile image58
    Katherine Baldwinposted 15 years ago

When I first started writing on the Internet, it was exciting to have my articles and info show up in the search engines. Then, I found the first or many thieves that think nothing of taking your work and taking credit for it for their own gain. I was outraged, so I know how you feel. These slim balls are out there, but the Karma gods will get them. Don't waste your precious energy worrying too much about them, they'll get themselves in time. Hub Pages does a fantastic job of looking out for their own and I am proud to be a part of this community.  Just be thankful that you have the talent to create your work and don't have to result to theft to have a presence on the Net.

20. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image79
    LdsNana-AskMormonposted 15 years ago

I was shocked when I had a similar experience not too long ago.  HP was on it fast.  That hubber was banned immediately.

Good work everyone!

I love this place!

tDMg
    LdsNana-AskMormon

21. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 15 years ago

Congratulations to the Hubpages Team for the quick action taken. This should definitely keep the theives at bay!

22. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I'm very glad quick action was taken- that's lowdown when someone steals your work!! The nerve!
    Hubpages is awesome-that response was FAST!  and that was a good idea to put a google alert on your hub- thats a smart suggestion for the rest of us too-
    let's catch these word thieves!!

23. robie2 profile image79
    robie2posted 15 years ago

Hmmmmm-- Darbiz's hubs are all gone but his profile is still there, and he even has one fan--acquired 31 hours ago, just after this whole bru ha ha took place. Darbiz's only fan, anbu14,  joined 31 hours ago and immediately became a fan of Darbiz. Quite the coincidence don't you think???.  Here's the profile

http://hubpages.com/profile/anbu14

He's published 17 hubs in the past 31 hours.  Go have a look and see if any of them look familiar to you.  If this is what I think it is, I'm not happy sad

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This was indeed the same user signed up under another account, and he's been banned again.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
        Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maddie! You're great. You nabbed him again.

2. robie2 profile image79
        robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just came back to check and see that  anbu14 is gone--Good Work Maddie(and fast too)  I'm a happy camper again now that justice has been done smile  But I suppose spammer-boy(orgirl) will be back again in another disguise so we all better stay vigilant

1. Inspirepub profile image71
          Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maybe this time he will be smart enough not to become his own fan ....

1. robie2 profile image79
            robie2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah--really......LOL

24. beeobrien profile image60
    beeobrienposted 15 years ago

Brand new here.  Can you please tell me about Google alerts?  I'm not familiar with it.  Thanks.

1. Dorsi profile image89
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I signed up for google alerts under my email address- I typed in what I was interested in then set up an alert ( I can't quite remember what I did because it was so long ago) but I know it was sent directly to my email address- you can probably google on how to set one up. I've been studying about methane gas so everytime there is a news item I get the article in my email.
      Hope that helps!

25. beeobrien profile image60
    beeobrienposted 15 years ago

I just checked one of his pages.  It googles another hubpage that is no longer available. Hmmmm.

26. profile image0
    alan2richposted 15 years ago

I am new to this sort of thing too, but I wouldn't be keen to look at what obviously is the person under a different name, but this changing disguise is useless if they contain the previous information. Beside eveyone's computer has an individual identification number so a person using that computer can easily be tracked. On top of that changing only the name is the brain child of an idiot!

27. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Well, this time he's only stolen from the Reader's Digest so far. I've only read 3 and I won't read any more.

28. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 15 years ago

This dude has been here for 12 months and has not displayed a hub.
    I bet he has been stealing all along.
    No wonder I can not make any money.

29. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

flread45,

The actions of any other person on the internet will not increase or decrease your ability to make money.

The internet is one of the best marketplaces in terms of making tiny niches profitable.

Never before has there been a greater opportunity for anyone to make money form their own efforts, with such low entry costs.

If you truly feel that other people's actions are stopping you from making money, then chances are you won't make it - but not because of the other people.

Because of your limiting beliefs.

It's not your fault that you have them (we are all programmed with them in childhood), but it IS your responsibility to let them go, so you can accomplish what you want to accomplish in business.

Jenny

30. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Just to warn everyone I want to let you know I have noticed qassia has not done a very good job with banning people who steal content.  There was one man who took content from a news article, but it was still there a few weeks later after this had been pointed out.  I am glad Hubpages is good at addressing this issue because I found out qassia had some issues.

1. vietnamese profile image68
      vietnameseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good to know, I haven't done anything much over in qassia yet.

31. b opinionated profile image61
    b opinionatedposted 15 years ago

I am still amazed that there are people out there willing to take credit for others work. I had this happen to me at school . I go to university of phoenix online and this one girl was copying my forum responses word for word! What are people thinking? I just dont get it! I can barely allow myself to use quotes becuase they are not in my own words, let alone copy someone elses entire work!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)