Do you believe in Karma?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Delilarose316 profile image60
    Delilarose316posted 14 years ago

What comes around goes around..

1. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cause and effect!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is more a law of causation. we make our own world, our own happiness or unhappiness. we may want to point fingers and blame this and that and say it's uncontrollable, but every circumstance we choose how we respond or react. like cause and effect. when I was a teenager, I would blame everything on god.

when we say we're happy because so and so did this or an outside source/force made me happy.... who then is in control of your mind?  we are made to be in control of our minds.

that's why it's fruitless to argue about politics or religion because so many don't want to take account for their own life, their own situation. it's so easy to blame it on the current administration or to blame it on missing church one day and now I've got a big x against me.  if something 'bad' happens, it happens, now we deal with it. why go through life blaming?

my opinion. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

oh yes, whether we believe or not, karma exists.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You Bet I believe. It does come back around. Takes a bit, but man it does.

Jon

2. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  3. Delilarose316 profile image60

I haven't figured it out but I know when I think about
    doing something that I question morally maybe, I think about
    karma and I know that whoever did something to hurt me or hurt someone I love will get theirs.
    And everytime they do. But what frustrates me is you have to have patience because it doesn't happen quick enough.
    Karma will kick you in the a**.

1. thanglynn07 profile image61
      thanglynn07posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I don't believe in Karma because so many good people go through so much undeserved pain. And what is their karma? Punished for being good? While the unjust parade around with no real consequence to their insouciant behaviors. I do hope that they will get what they deserve...but in the meantime, I am well aware that the world is a cruel, cruel place.

1. sannyasinman profile image60
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are often other factors at play. Psycho-genealogy teaches that we sometimes agree to suffer (at a subconscious level) on behalf of our parents and ancestors. IE We can take on debts, and even physical illnesses on their behalf. We sometimes carry in our very cells the memory of the deeds of our ancestors, and agree to pay the price through "an invisible family loyalty".

This may explain in part why some people can live exemplary lives, yet still suffer.

Delilarose316posted 14 years agoin reply to this
      2. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Thanglynn on this one

1. thanglynn07 profile image61
          thanglynn07posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks lyricsingray!

1. tantrum profile image60
            tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm too ! smile

1. Jackson Riddle profile image48
              Jackson Riddleposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is Karma meant to 'pay off' in this life? or is it your ticket to a 'better' place in the next life. Not wanting to get too religious here but hey we are talking about Karma. It could be how India uses the Caste system in a way, be good in this life and you will move up social standing in the next, be bad and you move down.

1. tantrum profile image60
                tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe in karma. I think it's a religious way to control people. that's why i agree  with thanglynn.

1. profile image0
                  1. profile image0

well put tantrum, well put

3. perfumer profile image65
        perfumerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you believe in reincarnation?

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I don't know,  has it for Osama Bin Laden? I'd like to know.

That's my point on being patient.
      It takes to damn long for it to come back around.

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not in this lifetime - but in the next.

5. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Yes, my Karma ran over my Dogma! smile

6. Delilarose316 profile image60

Maybe Bin Laden suffers some horrible affliction??

7. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Sometimes we just have to leave it to Karma and never know. This may just be the case, or one of many.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60

One can know about ones Karma by practicing meditation. This is a subtle substance and one has to make his mind sharper and alert to know ones Karma.

Indian spiritual teachers have taught practice of meditation for that. One can try.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

1. perfumer profile image65

What type of meditation is the most suitable for remembering past lives?

1. hinckles koma profile image59
          hinckles komaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i think that's a good question.  I think if you really just tune in to yoga breathing next to a fire place that could help. Looking at the fire and hearing the fire reminds all of us how we used to be. Love all by the way i practice meditation and it helps with stress.

2. dentist83 profile image61
          dentist83posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that possible?  Or is just our imagination?
          Is there anyway we can really remember our past lives ?  Interesting question

1. perfumer profile image65

Imagination plays a very important role in our lives.
            Imagination is more important than knowledge - Albert Einstein

Please google Dr. Brian Weiss and find out more about the validity of past lives.

"As a traditional psychotherapist, Dr. Brian Weiss was astonished and skeptical when one of his patients began recalling past-life traumas that seemed to hold the key to her recurring nightmares and anxiety attacks. His skepticism was eroded, however, when she began to channel messages from "the space between lives," which contained remarkable revelations about Dr. Weiss's family and his dead son. Using past-life therapy, he was able to cure the patient and embark on a new, more meaningful phase of his own career.

A graduate of Columbia University and Yale Medical School, Brian L. Weiss M.D. is Chairman Emeritus of Psychiatry at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami."

Yes, this is possible. Lord Mahavira informed it in his first preaching in the Acharang Sutra. However, it needs lots of sacrifice, wisdom, alertness and concentration.

You can view both your past and present and that leads you to your future.

I am practicing now.

Thanks,
            Jyoti Kothari

8. Delilarose316 profile image60

Maybe he poops bricks sideways in the desert? Would that make it better?
    Oops, I won't get in trouble for that will I?

9. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

This is one of the few things I really do believe in. I speculate on most everything else regarding the unseen world but this just rings as being totally true.

10. Delilarose316 profile image60

The older I get the more I believe it to be true.
    The world facsinates me. Its like a boomerrang effect or something.

11. LEFT HAND OF GOD profile image57
    LEFT HAND OF GODposted 14 years ago

I believe that the all seeing eye of the invisible one keeps track of everything and puts us in the scales of justice and weighs out what we need in light of what we have done.

12. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Karma isn't what most Westerners think it is. It doesn't mean if you do something bad then someone else will do that bad thing to you. It just means that every act has an effect, it's like dominoes.

So maybe you do something bad and nothing bad happens to you in this lifetime, but you don't advance spiritually, you don't learn, you pile up a sort of debt account of bad deeds, and it can be your children who pay, or your children's children, or the whole society. Your crappy actions can make everyone suffer for generations, yet you personally may die without realizing this.

All you have to do is look around you to see that people who do evil things do NOT always get repaid in kind during their own lifetimes. Crime seems to pay from a human perspective. But if you take a longer view, and a more spiritual view, you see that piling up negative karma is something to avoid. It's much harder to reverse negative karma once set in motion than to never do the bad thing in the first place--but it's almost impossible to avoid doing any bad things, that's the catch.

It's NOT 'what goes around, comes around.' That's not it.

1. dentist83 profile image61

Nice. 
      Is Karma the same thing as what you sow is what you harvest?

Well I re-read what your wrote and I guess it is not

1. profile image0
          pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's different. It's kind of like that idea in the Bible though--the sins of the father are visited on the son. Kind of like that. Like, you start with one bad act and it ripples out, down through generations, or out through society. Maybe it bites you personally, maybe not, but it messes up your spiritual *report card* because you're not supposed to be here hurting people. That's going backwards.

Hi Pgrundy,

You have explained well. However, there are some misconceptions.

Karma is a theme from Indian philosophies. It is embedded with reincarnations. If one is not getting fruits of his or her evil and noble deeds, he will get it in the any of next births.

No body other than oneself has to bear the fruits of own Karma.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

13. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I don't

14. dentist83 profile image61
    dentist83posted 14 years ago

Karma seems like a very just and fair law, isn't it?  It kind of give some peace to the soul.  Do you agree?

I agree.

15. Delilarose316 profile image60

And maybe it's what you want it to be, for your own piece of mind NOT what other people tell you it is!

16. R P Chapman profile image60
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

The beautiful thing about Karma is that whether you believe in it or not, it's actually a pretty nice attitude to being alive.

Helping people makes us feel better about ourselves than hurting people does. If we get any additional benefit, that's surely just a bonus! smile

17. dentist83 profile image61
    dentist83posted 14 years ago

We can see God, Demons, Angels, etc, as a mirror of our self.  Some times in life we are like God, doing the good, creating, loving everyone.  But other times we could be demons doing bad things, destroying, hurting some people.  We can be angels also, serving the world, our friends and even enemies. 

May be the karma is teaching us to transform from evil creatures, to divine creatures.  An the ultimate aim in this world is to become God.  I 'm just thinking.

18. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

Karma. The consequences of acts done in this life and past lives.

There can be both individual and group Karma, even national and planetary karma. According to Buddhism, when we attain enlightenment we escape from the wheel of Karma and reincarnation.

There is no-one sitting in judgment, with a white beard and a big hat, dishing out punishment for “bad actions” whilst rewarding “good actions”.  It is more a question of the Universe keeping itself in balance.

The Universe does not understand “good” and “bad”, these are human concepts. What the Universe operates on is energy and vibration.

Everything is energy, and everything is in vibration, in movement. Nothing is ever still. So-called “good things” have a higher level of vibration and “bad things” have a lower level of vibration. We can feel this.

So, if you send out higher vibrational thoughts, words and actions, then that is what the Universe will send back. And if you send out low level energies, then that is what you will get back. IE We create our world ourselves and need to take responsibility for it. There is no-one else to blame.

Also, some say that the more spiritually advanced we are (and therefore the higher our vibration) the quicker personal Karma comes back to us, arriving at the point where it is almost instant.

Does this make sense?

I do not know if that is true.  But I like it big_smile  Make sences.

1. sannyasinman profile image60
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great! smile

19. hinckles koma profile image59
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

OK iam not koma iam karma lol.  yes karma is felt in silence and time. love all.

20. Jackson Riddle profile image48
    Jackson Riddleposted 14 years ago

I believe in Karma if you do good things for the right reasons i.e not for praise or rewards, if you set out to try and cheat through things by working on good karma then you wont achieve the results you would expect from having 'good' Karma.

21. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I am a firm believer of Karma.

22. wavegirl22 profile image47
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

How people treat you is their Karma

How you react is yours.

23. HWP profile image60
    HWPposted 14 years ago

I totally believe in Karma, everything you do has an effect on the greater world, good, bad or indifferent, whether you realise it or not.

24. zadrobi profile image60
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I see Karma as a sort of optimistic euphemism. It's easier to just think "Karma", than to think about how much you or other people suffer compared to people that really should be suffering in your stead, but you know never will.

25. zadrobi profile image60
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

I'm not sure which is more detestable: the fact that you spammed this thread or your lack of grammar.

There is nothing more detestable than a man with a chip on his shoulder. If you don't like it than don't participate in the "thread".

26. hinckles koma profile image59
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

I think we can if we open our third eye. I didnt yet.

27. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

If we let karma or anything else rule how we live our lives we cease to have free will.
    If we live by knowing what is right and doing it without thinking we should have no regrets.  Like Don McLean says, "I've done some bad, I've done some good, I've done a whole lot better than they thought I would."

Free will is limited to our decisions.  But we are affected by others persons decisions.  So we are not 100% in control of what happens to us.

28. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

How we react is.

29. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

ABSOLUTLY..
    Im disabled, but it was not due to my actions, karma had nothing to do with it..
    I happen to volunteer in a off beat store where incense and karma run wild!!!

30. dejajolie profile image62
    dejajolieposted 14 years ago

I agree with Wavegirl22-
    I also feel religion aside, as that only proves to seperate us, one does not need to be 'religious' to follow the rule, "Treat those as you would like to be treated". I think morally it is just a good practice since most are so 'self-absorbed' believing what you do and how you treat others will inevitably come back to you will make a lot of people think twice.

31. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

All religions believe in karma.  That definitely doesn't make it right though.

But I believe in it for non-religious reasons smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)