Need some virtual butt kicking

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (61 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Okay so I bought this Writer's Digest Weekly Planner to help me better oragnaniize my writing time as well as my life around writing; yes life goes around writing in my books lol
    BUT I have yet to start writing anything in it.

HELP??? I need some virtual encouragment and as the title says some virtual butt kicking to get me to fill this out lol

Since I got so my encouragment when I said I was raedy to leave, which I TOTALLY appreciated thanks again guys, I was hoping that I can get the encouragment for this project!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh my God, I have the exact same thing and I have only written on one page so far smile

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

the best thing i did to crack my writer's block was do a 30 hubs in 30 days challenge.

for me, the second i start writing stuff down ala a 'to do' list, i lose any momentum at all.

i just carry around a little Panasonic tape recorder wherever i go, and when ideas come (this is only for books and stories, NOT hubs) i record them in there. then when i am ready to write, i take my recorder and listen to it. try it! smile

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do have journals but I think if I had it mapped out in a planner then it would help me better to actually sit on ONE story and get it finished lol

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can get a lot of really good ideas at http://yvettewrites.com/

1. profile image0

ooo I'll check it out thanks!

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh, ok. go for it then smile

1. profile image0

I'm trying but it's hard...lol I look at the planner and am like I'll write in it today...then I don't that is why I said I need a virtual butt kicking to get me started lmao

3. profile image0

Oh cool UW you go the Weekly Planner too? SWEEET!

4. R P Chapman profile image61
    R P Chapmanposted 14 years ago

Set yourself tasks. As cosette mentioned, things like the "30 hubs in 30 days" can help there. If it's for other projects set word count limits. 100 words a day on project X, etc.

If it's about writer's block set yourself menial tasks like, "write 100 words about my stapler". The act of writing can create momentum and after task writing, writing about what you enjoy can seem like a release.

I wouldn't fixate overly on the planner. Just setting a few simple and achievable targets is a start. Then you can build from there.

1. profile image0

Thanks R P I'll keep that in mind smile

5. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Start writing or God will kill a kitten!

1. profile image0

*GASP* A Texan lmao that's mean! I love kitties. and you better be careful might get some ppl on your arse about that one haha

2. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Tex, that would make a hub! smile

1. profile image0

HAHAHA ralwus

3. Flightkeeper profile image68
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

Okay, that's not funny...
      okay yeah it is smile

1. profile image0

you know you were laughing when you first read that. I did lmao

6. earner profile image83
    earnerposted 14 years ago

I sit with the telly on and the PC on beside me 24/7.  I joined the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge, did one HubMob (badly, but I did it just to find out how that works). 

All the time, everything I am doing my mind is ticking over "could that be a hub?"  News comes on - anything there that  it triggers, was I reminded of anything...

I have a copy of treepad open.  Any new ideas I create a new node, write a quick one liner of what I was thinking about... and that gives me a list of stuff.

Sometimes I am immediately fired up to write a hub and I get as far as the title and leave it.  I have about 20 unpublished hubs with titles and about another 20 in my Treepad.

The other day I finished a hub I'd started 6 months ago and published it.  I like to have one hub published every morning before my favourite TV programme comes on ... that's a motivator.  Then I watch that and try to bash out the next one before I eat lunch.   After that it tends to be just ideas gathering, although I should just crack on and do 2 more each day.

I watch my hub scores and I hate anything going under 50.  If anything goes under 50 it's reworked.  Reworking existing hubs takes me about an hour a day. 

Then I spend 2 hours a day reading the forums etc, these are great reminders of what I know that I could hub, so that gets noted down.

It's just a question of being motivated - and sheer bl00dy minded about it really.  Having weeks of OCD will always help.

At first it may seem slow. The income is irrelevant, don't watch it.  Articles age - and it is with their ageing that the income comes. 

For every hub you write, find at least one place to put a backlink to it.  I figure if I can't find a way to backlink to it, why should anybody else ever be interested in visiting it.  On average, I immediately backlink twice to everything I write.  All of this will prove essential and important in time (just not today).

Here's an encouraging piece: one hub I have made about £4 in its first 12 months.... in the last 12 months it has made £32.  That one was straight off the top of my head and took about half an hour.  Some you win, some you lose.  It's a numbers/quality and long-term game.

Stay in it to win it!

Good luck!

7. profile image0

thanks earner but it isn't for hub writing. it's for my own story writing, the stuff I write to hopefully get published some day soon

8. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I'm going to be blunt, because that is how I am.  You seem really nice.  First you wanted to close shop & you got the attention you needed to stay. Now you want motivation. I look at it as another call for help.  Only you can help yourself.  Only you can motivate you to write.  If you have ideas swarming in your head, then put them down on paper or type them up, you have a large fan base and a good deal of hubs.  Be thankful that you can do what you do.

9. aware profile image67
    awareposted 14 years ago

random segments of thought.its a hub i wrote its nonsense mostly i think . but clearing words from your head might make way for more structured ideas and story's. commentary on current events are easy to write also and it lets you get use to expressing your thoughts in text form i think. or start with true life storys those are already written
    you lived it just color them in. mind you now im a novice at this to so .i could be wrong

10. profile image0

Again people aren't getting it...IT'S NOT FOR HUBS!!! I am a writer off of hubs too, I am striving to become an author. The Weekly PLanner is for writing my stories nit my hubs. I will write hubs when I get around it but I need to sit down and work on my stories and I thought this planner would help out but I am having a few issues getting motivated to write in the planner to foce myself to have a plan to just sit and write.

11. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Crazd,

If you are going to write, then write. Don’t just force words onto the word processing screen because you say your “gonna write.”  Pick a subject for which you are passionate about, positively, negatively, whatever, but write what you feel or your imagination while create by being set free, not coerced.

Now quite babbling, and writ................ or
    pour some scotch in a glass like I do, then write.

12. readytoescape profile image60

Is your Virtual Hiney sore?

13. profile image0

lol readytoescape. I love to write in my free time but if I have a set date that I have to have something done by then I write more and my imagination does kick into high gear. So that is why I got the planner to help me work on my stories so I can get going on finding an agent.

And no no scotch! that's all you. big_smile

14. readytoescape profile image60

On the lighter side, as you go through your normal day, not planning a "time to write" or even if you do, carry a small pocket note pad with you. As notions go flashing across that pretty little brain of yours jot down a reminder to focus on when you finally do sit down to write.

1. profile image0

I do have one of those! big_smile I just keep forgetting to shove it into my purse with an extra pen LMAO

15. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

CW, if you are anything like me and it sounds like you are, you need to pick one story to work on and make a commitment to get pages done each day.

It is possible that what you need to do is sign up for NaNoWriMo that starts on Nov 1. It is a way to motivate writers to write a novel of the 50K persaution in a month.

What I have found works best is to find a good online crit partner and the two of you commit to doing so much each day. Sign up for one of the various IM things and chat on there about your progress and at the end of the week swap work for crit so you can know where you are going with it. This sounds like it might work best for you as it will give you an actual person to talk to in real time and it will give you a good idea if what you are generating needs major help or just minor help.

Writing stuff down via a planner has never worked for me. I hope that helps.

1. profile image0

thanks Lynne...I have never heard of any online crit partners...huh that is interesting. do you have a website for that?

16. readytoescape profile image60

I keep mine next to the scotch Bottle......

And hey you didn't post on my thread, I have a Featured Article on the Political pages,

Thanks for reading it and leaving a nice comment

17. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

crazd, just keep get busy writing. you can spend hours and hours here and you could be writing. just write darlin. big_smile

1. profile image0

I'm trying rebekah I'm trying but I get distracted very easily...can ya tell yet? lmao

18. profile image0

All right reaytoescape I'll go check it out. wait is it on ur page or in the political thread?

19. readytoescape profile image60

Crazd,
    It's on my page, you read it and left a comment, I posted a thread earlier thanking everyone for putting it in the Featured Article position.

This is the article
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Jaycee-Lee-Dugard-Outrage

1. profile image0

I remember that one now... smile

20. Benjimester profile image90
    Benjimesterposted 14 years ago

I got some virtual butt kickin for ya.  I'm already up to 53 hubs.  I'm gonna shoot past yer 62 like yesterday's news smile

1. profile image0

lol that's okay Benji if yu pass me...this isn't about hub writing..it's about my story writing off hubpages

21. readytoescape profile image60

She's got ya beat by 7 months.

22. readytoescape profile image60

Well I'm otta here tonight, gotta go eat and watch Hocus Pocus with the wife and kid. Y'all have a GREAT NIGHT!

1. profile image0

Oo I like that movie! have fun and good night readytoescape!

23. livewithrichard profile image70
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Crazd, planning a time to write means very little unless you actually have something to write about.  The best course of action would be to figure out what it is you want to write first.

I know you get motivated when you are given a subject to write about, so if you really want to kick it into gear with your short stories then I suggest you start searching for short story contests and enter them.  Most contests have a theme and guidelines and a timeline.  My 411article.com is hosting a short story contest, check out my hub on it if you're interested.

Writing on HP is fun for short story writers because, if you have a fan base, you get immediate responses.  I know you want to get an agent so you have to show him/her that you can write for print too, which means busting out those stories and sending them off to print magazines.  If they're rejected then send it off to another one.  Send the same story off to a dozen at a time. 

When you have about a hundred or so rejection letters and you're still writing then you can look in the mirror and say "I'm not a quitter."  In all honesty, when just starting out in print, it's a numbers game.  The more querries you send off the better your chances at getting published.

Don't just go for the big paying jobs either, even the small ones can go into your portfolio and give you credit when you finally do get a shot at an agent.

Good luck!

24. profile image0

Thanks livewithrichard...and trust me I have plenty I want to write on I swear lol I have like 2 short stories done and 10 other stories I ahve started writing plus more in my writing journal.

I have sent one short story, my fantasy, in for a contest. smile just waiting to hear from them. and that won't be until like NEXT month...so the waiting is killing me sad but I am waiting I swear!

And i have already tried a efw agents...gotten plenty of rejections about maybe....10-15 I think something like that...but I never thought about writing some short stories for magazines. I like reading The Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine maybe I can write a short story for them...that hopefully maybe be accepted. smile thanks for putting that thought in my head, richard. I will have to write a short story and turn it in to some magazines. smile

25. livewithrichard profile image70

You should get a copy of the 2010 Writer's Market.  It is full of contacts, agents, advice and of course markets to send your printed work.

26. profile image0

One step ahead of you there lol I have bought one smile Bought one for novels and Short Stories

27. livewithrichard profile image70

That's great.  The last edition I have is from 2004 but that's because I have turned my interests more towards screenplay writing and that's a whole different ballgame.

I keep the edition because if is full of advice and help from seasoned published writers.  I haven't seen the newest edition but I'm sure it's just as helpful.

28. profile image0

I have already put little highlighted marks next to the agents I wish to try to get to represent me but that won't be for a long time yet. At the confernce they say that you should have a finished manuscript before you send it in...trying to do that lol and also it is really hard to find an agent that likes all of my genres. A lot of them don't want fantasy or horror. sad jerks! LMAO

29. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Hey Crazd...

GET OFF YOUR ASS, GET OUT OF THE FORUM AND GET WRITING!!!
    NOW!!!NOW!!!NOW!!!
    Right 1 page a day, it doesn't matter if it's crap but you'll be writing and you'll be editing, that's what writing is about, it's not being in the forums.

GET WRITING NOW!!!

How's that for a virtual kick in the hiney?

Okay, I'm just trying to help so don't get mad. smile

30. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Oh heck, I mean WRITE 1 page a day. Although it is right to write 1 page a day.

OK, I'm babbling...let me stop...now...

31. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Hey CW I don't have a website for that although I did find my crit partner the last one I had at RomanceDivas.com it is a site for writers. They have some really useful info on the subject of writing and getting published etc.

I thought I had found a new one here a while back but she has bailed on me so sometimes it can be difficult. I have a novel that is finished but needs things like grammar and punctuation corrections and a few flow corrections as well so I can send it back off to the publisher.

Sit down and write. Give yourself a time limit and word count if you make both then you can bounce into the forums to see what is up.

1. profile image0

RomanceDivas.com...I seriously thought it was going to be some single website lol. Is that a Romance writing only genre website? I mean yea I write stories with romance in them, not like X rated or anything like that but not full on romance smile

And sorry she bailed on you. That sucks! I hope you find a new one soon to help you get your novel to a publisher. smile

1. profile image0
        lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They have anything from sweet romance to full on erotica at the site and some authors that don't write romance at all just like the info that is provided there. I will warn you the forums can be a bit of a drama but nothing more than here so you should be used to it.

There are a couple of others like fictionfactor.com and writersdigest I believe has a forum that might garner you a crit partner.

I don't do short stories or know anything about them but several on divas produce them so you should gain some useful knowledge if nothing else.

I actually am focusing more on writing my hubs right now. The whole out of work thing and all so I need to generate income so that I can work on the fiction later so it is all good.

1. profile image0

trying to write and look for a job is definitely a hard thing. Doing that myself but I will do my best to work out both. I think maybe that is why I think the Planner is a good idea for me.

32. profile image0

LMAO Flightkeeper. I suck at editing my own stuff but okay I will do my best to writing a page per day. thanks Flightkeeper for the kick in the ass lmao I'll try I swear. I need to fill out my planner and put that in there it might help me. smile

1. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

500 words a day is all it takes: That's 2 pages double-spaced...I'm sure you can handle that big_smile  By the way, when I say 500 words a day, that's EVERY SINGLE DAY, including Christmas, Bar Mitzvahs, Election Day, Sunday, etc.  I wrote my novel when I had the flu and when I was in Vegas yikes  No joke!  Just do it!

1. profile image0

Even while you were in Vegas? wow...I might be able to do that. Thanks dohn...I will do my damndest to try what you and what Flightkeeper says to do too...maybe make it 3 pages just to add both of your guys advice. And I don't do double-space anymore I'm a 1.5 space kinda girl LMAO

33. Benjimester profile image90
    Benjimesterposted 14 years ago

I didn't know you wrote stories.  That's awesome!!  I do too.  I just had a couple books printed and am taking a break from stories to do lots of article marketing.  I'm building up a good foundation of internet marketing.  Best of luck to ya!

1. profile image0

Very cool Benji! I always love meeting other writer's smile and thanks I need all the luck I can get lmao alraedy had like 10-15 rejections and no more will be coming soon well after I finish my mystery story and try getting an agent for that one haha

34. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

http://www.thosefunnypictures.com/resize.php?file=pictures/8764/animal-funny-pic-Angry-Panda.jpg
    Angry Panda says "WRITE"

http://files.myopera.com/gialioy/albums/620072/An%20Angry%20Badger.jpg
    Angry Badger says "DO IT NOW"

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa304/thranax/Wolfs/2hBgrieBYVtkPA4Fpx.jpg
    Angry Wold says "OR ELSE."

~thranax~

1. profile image0

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Thranax I asked for a virtual butt kick, not virutal animals coming after my ass lmao thanks though! I loved it!

35. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Consider your butt kicked!

Now, can I kiss it? wink

1. profile image0

haha no Misha sorry no kissie my buttie...need to keep it sore to remind me to write LMAO

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)