Math test scores show little change.

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)
  1. rkary3839 profile image60
    rkary3839posted 14 years ago

A news report stated that a majority of 4th and 8th grade students are not proficient in math skills.  Our government is working to fund schools but we see little results.  What do you think, read my blog. I am interested in your comments.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

we are only teaching children how to pass state tests, so they can advance and the district get the money. No child left behind means, memorise the test foget how to work the problems!

Look, teachers College criculums focus on education techniques and general elective courses only, you can not expect a bachelors degree person with only six hours of basic college math required to get by for the Education degree, to really understand or teach theory of algebra, geometry or trig, much less calculus.

The kids are being asked to work problems the teacher can not do!

Thats why sylvan learning centers and other businesses like them are getting rich, the kids have to pass the ACT to have a chance at a future, and those company's can do what the teachers union can not do, and is not concerned about doing!

Its about funding and raises, and getting a kid to pass a state test and move them on reguardless, not real teaching. The kids end up loosing.

The cirriculums are changed, The grade structures are eliminated, a try is considerd a pass! No real challange to learn. It is a joke. Show up, do something, get a pass and move on...Next!

In San Antonio they have an English class called Spanglish, it is ok to mix spanish and english in a sentence! What is that?

In Tennessee they have changed grading in some of the poor districts to say they will evaluate each child seperately and except their best?

Not make them learn and accelerate, just what ever thay can do is their best? And Thats a pass? Thats Crap!

They can only read a half of a sentenance, but if thats their best...its a pass!  These poeple are totaly out of control.

1. hanskrafter profile image64
        hanskrafterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not suprised. Since our culture has been shifted to maximizing profits at all costs and nurtering children's heads with all this marketing bulk, how can we expect that someone will find science interesting? After all, when there is no demand, supply decreases..

2. kimbaustin profile image59
      kimbaustinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't get me going on this one.  I am in California and finally decided to pull my children out of the school system to home school.  It is unbelievable how the quality of our education has improved in the last year.  Yes, children are being taught "to standards" and yes, the teachers I have interviewed are frustrated because they are no longer allowed to "teach". Even as homeschoolers, we are required to take the standardized tests once a year.  I am happy to report that we recieved high honors.  But the degradation that is taking place in the schools will be reflected in our children's ability to compete in an international market place.  I blog extensively about these issues and offer advice to those considering homeschooling.  I just signed up for hubpages under kimbaustin but don't have much posted there yet, but it is coming.

3. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In addition to what has already been said, I think the way math is taught from the beginning of a child's entry into school is important.  How the fundamentals of number sense are introduced matters.  Something as simple as place-value and its manipulation for executing mental math is underestimated in many American text books.  Equally important is the ability to apply mathematical computation skills to "real" world problem solving, i.e. word problems, which require multiple steps to solve.

I see no real funding to remedy the lack of proficiency in math skills.  If anything, funding for education in California is evaporating at a rapid rate.

4. MikeNV profile image68
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Money does not equal a solution.

2. profile image0
    emmieadamsposted 14 years ago

I am not surprised, at least if I use my children's schools as an example. Reasons:

We teach to the test instead of teaching concepts. (The way schools get funding is high test scores. WIth low test scores the money is pulled, which is counter-intuitive, yes?)

We teach from textbooks and rarely stray. Children learn differently but teachers no longer have artistic license in the classroom to modify the lesson to fit the needs of the students. Also, teachers put in a huge percentage of their time doing assessments of their students instead of teaching.

The teacher's union protects the good teachers and bad teachers alike. We have teachers that should never have been hired, let alone tenured. Example: One teacher came to school drunk on several occasions and she was kept on because alcoholism is a disease. (Yes, it is, but it's not conducive to being an elementary ed teacher.)

The latest thinking of making the school days and school year longer so our children can learn more and be competitive with other countries is ignoring the real issues. The best metaphor I can come up with with is like taking a really out-of-tune piano with some missing keys and telling the piano student: "You are not practicing enough! If you work hard and put in more hours of practice you will sound better."  It's not going to happen until the piano is tuned and missing keys replaced.

Regarding the government funding our schools: where? how? I'm not even sure where my tax dollars go anymore. (I'm on the West Coast. Can you tell? I don't believe East Coast has these problems.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)