Troop funds diverted to pay for school named after Ted Kennedy

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (33 posts)
  1. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

and other stuff. Somebody needs to be impeached

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oc … -projects/

2. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

they are completely out of control

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Among the 778 such projects, known as earmarks, packed into the bill: $25 million for a new World War II museum at the University of New Orleans and $20 million to launch an educational institute named after the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat.

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And?

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79

All the money was not diverted to pay for a school named after Ted Kennedy, it was one of 778 projects...

It also includes

"- $20 million for Humvee maintenance at an Army National Guard installation in Maine

- $20 million for the Maui Space Surveillance System in Hawaii, requested by Mr. Inouye.

1. profile image0

Did you read the first post?

2. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So that makes it OK to divert funds from our troops?  That's as criminal as sending them to war in unarmored Humvees.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Funny you mentioned that:

"Sen. Kennedy served on the Armed Services Committee for 27 years, where he fought to deliver top-of-the-line body armor and armored Humvees to protect our troops and save lives. Educating Americans about these battles is a core mission for the Edward M. Kennedy Institute, which showcases one senator's ability to make a difference,"

Makes me wonder if you even read the entire article.

1. ledefensetech profile image68

I'd really like to see sources for that assertion. The Kennedys have never struck me as being very knowledgeable about fighting and winning wars.

I'm sure he learned a thing or two in 27 years on the Armed Services Committee. I'm sure I heard Orrin Hatch mention what he did in regard to Humvees.

I really would like something more than what you think you heard someone say.  Sorry, but I don't consider you an unbiased source.

Well pardon me, and we are always supposed to believe everything you say because well...you know better than all of us...

It was all over the news after he died. Maybe ask the parents whose son died and who live in Massachussets and how that drove him to push for the armed Humvees. They were going on about it on the news.

I'm sure you can find it in Senate transcripts. I don't just pick things out of the air you know.

1. profile image0

What difference could it possibly make what a drunk thought or didn't think?

2. ledefensetech profile image68

I post sources and articles confirming my facts.  I don't cop out and just say something is true because I say it is.

Like when you say Obama is a Communist? Where are the sources confirming those facts?

Well, I don't have time to search the Senate transcripts if they can be searched online. I don't make things up and I don't lie about what I have heard...

2. profile image0

I don't care what committee the murdering scumbag served on! Do you really think learning about battles that occurred 60 years ago means anything to the troops fighting a battle today?

3. profile image0
          Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fine. Let them educate everyone AFTER we win the war we're in now

4. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea, but he didn't drive worth a damn. They should have started a driving school for impared drivers. Yikes!

5. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

But it came out of part of the defense budget in a time of war

6. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

A lot of the money from the defense fund was moved to help build new roads, both on the federal and state level.

I'm sure that's a comfort to the families of troops who die over there.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I have every right to comment on what is in this forum. I was just reprinting things that appeared in the article; I was not criticizing the US.

Stop patronizing me again, you always do.

I have nothing against the US believe it or not. I just get tired of one-sided arguments.

I guess it's progress that you guys are admitting to trying to invade Canada smile I remember having an argument a few months back and no one would admit the US did that... big_smile

1. profile image0

It was a hoax perpetrated by the Canadians to make us look bad!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, like we need their help......

1. profile image0

You must be Canadian too!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

They do have the better national anthem.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61

You're a troublemaker........

I like that. smile

Yup, I'm like Marlon Brando in The Wild Ones big_smile

3. ledefensetech profile image68

The arguments are not one sided, you call it that because people don't agree with you.  I, personally, have nothing against Canada.  You're good neighbors and I'm so pissed that our government makes us get passports to go over the border anymore.  Hell we have the longest unmilitarized border in the world, that should count for something. 

But being good neighbors means that you allow your neighbor to live as they wish and not beat them down every chance you get.  Are we perfect?  No.  But the US has gone against conventional wisdom since our founding and we've done very well doing things our way. 

As for the not invading Canada thing, so far as I know we've gotten into two wars and almost a third, all three during the first half of the 19th century or the tail end of the 18th.  We almost went to war over a pig, for the good Lord's sake.  The only thing I can think of is that we no longer teach history in school anymore and that's why nobody would admit to us having invaded Canada.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)