Do you notice that there is a strange unrest in people each October ?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (72 posts)
  1. Deborah-Lynn profile image61
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

I have been noticing strange occurrances in October every year, I worked for a Church for many years and things just got really bizarre in October.
    What have you noticed and why do you think it happens?

1. jiberish profile image78
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Full Moon!

Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, but I see other full moon months not affecting humans in such dramatic ways as in October?  A harvest moon is so huge and close to the earth where I live...there is a difference, now that you mention it!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it goes down to the history of Russia, october has been branded as a month of blood and revolution......

The October revolution of 1917 also marks the inception of the first Communist government in Russia. After this Russia became the USSR, which existed up until its dissolution in 1991.Sergei Eisenstein's film October describes and glorifies the revolution and was commissioned to commemorate the event.

7 November, the anniversary of the October Revolution, was an official holiday in the Soviet Union and still is in Belarus.

Last year it is the bloodiest month for US troops in IRAQ

So even in history, people react very harshly in October...the problems may well have existed prior to that month, but for some reason, October came and people struck...their inhibitions or self-control exhausted...

I had another thought about the harshness of October, spring the leaves are new, delicate and tender.  Summer flowers and fruit so tender as well, strawberries, raspberries, cherries, peaches and plums, nectarines, grapes etc...then comes the harsher months with apples, pears and pomegranates, more study stuff...pumpkins and goards, cabbages and turnips,  well protected potatoes and peanuts...we don't have natural shells for protection....

2. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

Do you know what season it is in Russia in October?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63

cold like hre in the uSA, but it gets up to 5"C mid october, fall

3. soni2006 profile image77
      soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't say like this Deborah, my birthday comes in October, it's on 22nd of this month. My family says I am very auspicious for them when I took birth and I took birth in October and even my daughter took birth in October on the 6th plus we have auspicious Navratras, Dusshehra, and Diwali festivals in October plus Mahatma Gandhi took birth on 2nd of October 1869 plus the famous Bollywood  celebrity Amitabh Bacchan celebrated his 67th birthday on October 11th, 2009.

hhahahahhahhahaa, so there is nothing strange for me in October.

4. xriotdotbiz profile image58
      xriotdotbizposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is because everyone awaits the OU-Texas outcome.  Unfortunately for me, Texas won this year.  Now I have 10 months to wait until next college football season.

har har har they won, very close fight.....

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I happen to find October no more or less strange than any other time of the year.

I thought that too until my pastor had and affair - October,  the member who caught him...next October - kissed a friends' wife, these men were staunch followers of all the rules then without explaination deviated from their life paths...other things in October..a pigeon gutted itself on something sharp and landed in my hall steps,  where it fluttered and fluttered blood all over the wall, ceiling and stairs, my girls screamed and refused to pass it to come into the house,  the next night a feral cat forced it's way into our house and my husband had to fight it off with a broom, finally after much chasing and cornering it, over and over, we managed to get the growling snarling thing out of the front door, but for the next few nights it continued to return and try to enter our home.
      We noted this to friends and they started telling us of strange things similar to ours, one friend works in the ER and all kinds of stepped up activities in the ER.

I'm not superstitious, Relache, just observing.  I sleep with the lights off and don't get afraid of scary movies, I also disregard things like good luck/bad luck omens...like I said, October seems to be the time weird things are happening around here.

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February.wink

Hey, quit teasing.....

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Was I teasing?wink Yeah, it's the change in weather and the falling leaves spookin' people in the night leaving them irritable and antsy. Plus Christmas is sneaking up on them and got them all worried.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually you ARE right. October historically is one of the worst months for stocks, even if you don't count 1987...

1. Colebabie profile image59
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What happened in 1987?

3. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

There you are handsome,  who is the adorable "pixie"?

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I've always found October is pretty much a beautiful month (at least where I live), and I can't say I've noticed anything different about as far as people's behavior goes.  It is, though, "last call before the beautiful weather generally goes away until April" - so maybe a lot of people find that a little depressing and get a little crankier?  It can take a little while for people (who live where the weather changes) to get acclimated to cooler temperatures; so - who knows - maybe there's some different "phenomenon" that does its own version of what Seasonal Affective Disorder does to people in Winter?  Just pondering the question.....  smile

This is a good explaination, I always liked October, my son was born in October...but the last few years...people seem to be behaving out of their normal limits!

5. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

hmmm...maybe that's why I've been out of sorts lately - it's October!

6. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

Well, it looks like some folks are moving toward positive solutions, there's a NA,AA meeting assembling in the Health forum and some very good words being spoken to heal the past weeks wounds.  I feel like October can dump it's worst upon us but the spirit of community will reign!

7. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

I just googled 1987 and this popped up Stock Market crash of 1987...

The article said beginning in 1982 the stock market was enjoying great success, and 1986 & 1987 were very good years, the best for amassing capital, then came October 1987 -CRASH!

Figures, the year I was born smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you should change your handle to StockCrushBaby tongue

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

October is my favorite month of the year. I've never noticed anything weird about it.

I hope I haven't ruined it for you...now that it has been mentioned....

9. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I'd say you are right in sensing something.  I love it...it is a beautiful month, but there is a reason we celebrate All Hallow's Eve (Halloween) in it...and the Dia de la Muerte, etc.

It's exactly that feeling of unease we (and our ancestors) felt with the change of the seasons.  smile  Makes me think of Ray Bradbury's "The Halloween Tree."

I loved that movie smile

2. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you are right Lita,

the Fall equinox, with equal day and night passing. Its that passing from mostly light and sunny days to dark comming earlier, some light fear and uneasyness asumes its place, it sometimes makes people make mistakes, amplifies superstitions. Can have an affect on folks.

The habbits of folks changing with the season, the night owls out earlier, the day light folks retreating home faster at times. Its Interesting.

I work on the Servers and the In car Computers for Police and Fire here in the computer room on nights in Nashville, and busiess gets brisk for those people in October, every year it seems to get worse also.

I want to hear about the Halloween tree also, please tell

Jon

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its cooler more people are out, thats my theory anyway.

Thanks Jon we do need Lita back here with more info on "The Halloween Tree"

I tried to contact Lita to come back with more info Jon, thanks, in the meantime, the October sky is clear and the nights still really warm this week, how is it where youlive?

3. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

Is Ray Bradbury a director from the Film Festival? I don't know "The Halloween Tree"?

4. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

Does anyone know what "The Halloween Tree" is all about?

10. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

Tell me more, I haven't heard of the Halloween Tree?  Is Ray Bradbury a Film Festival Director

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ray Bradbury is a writer.  I know the book.  Looks like Cole knows the movie.  smile

1. profile image0
        Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

ok, spill, what's it about and how do I get some...book, DVD, where?

11. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Starting mid September through the first week of November, I have noticed that animals and people are more likely to do unusual things. It also seems to be a time when secrets are told, reserve let go of. 

My mom works at a church and her counseling load generally doubles in October.

I have to agree Ivorwen, this is the report on the East Coast and the Pacific coast in the USA

1. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in western Wyoming and my mom is in eastern Colorado, so its not confined to the coasts.

"Very, Very Intersting!"

12. amy jane profile image72
    amy janeposted 14 years ago

I'm not familiar with "The Halloween Tree," but I find October to be the most intense month of the year. I absolutely love it - but all my life it has stood out as the month that things happen.

That best days of my life and the worst - are all in October.

Nothing has happened yet though...for me anyway. It needs to be good this year! smile

You are sooo right Amy Jane,  Intense is the greatest descriptive word for October,  hauntingly tragic, supernaturally filled with ecstacy and promise, yet scarily full of changes and unexpected turns and twists, often painful, often exhilarating.  What are you hoping will happen to you or for you this month? wink wink

13. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

October is a happy and a sad month.  It was the month I gave birth to my first child (almost 19 years ago)!  It also, for me, marks the end of fall and we transition into the dark dreary days of November.

The month of giving life and of loss, so complex,  I have a nineteen year old as well, she is the subject of another forum, her pain is my pain...I'm sure you understand that one.  The dreariness really hits me by February...so this year I want to prepare in advance to battle the darkness.  Any ideas or challenges you think might help?

you need to think and  provide solutions using your heart, you can never go wrong, just give your daughter unconditional love, dont worry too much also about things that are not yet there (feb is still four months away, dont double worry, you can read my article about worrying, i posted yesterday..keep on believing and pray a lot..

A very sweet thought Jane,  thanks very much.  Not so much worrying, want to be prepared, it comes without fail and it is biological, exercise and extra light helps, I am thinking about the natural light systems to stimulate the pituitary gland, some people claims it's helpful to their mood in winter months...

14. akirchner profile image93
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

I think it is true that people start to "change" in October because we are all anticipating....gasp....the darkside (even has his own hub!). My husband starts to go into meltdown because the days are getting shorter and hence his oxygen starts to deplete.  I'm hoping he doesn't turn into a vampire! Seriously I think it is seasonal affective disorder by the proper term and people just start to do stupid stuff that they didn't maybe do before because there was so much sun (unless you live in the beautiful Seattle area).  I look forward to it as a time to break out the 200 cookbooks and start doing all the things I could NOT get to during the spring/summer/early fall because I was too busy and I have a malamute mentality - I think that's why I like them so much.  I just dig in and find something else to do and THAT keeps ME out of trouble!

I really love your approach AK, sorry to hear about your hubby though...maybe bring some plants into your home to build up more fresh oxygen...cooking is a treat once the hot seasom cools down, go excuse to have the oven on and wow, positive response from the kids,  my hubby loves freshly baked bread and cookies, comfort foods that cook longer...homemade soups and stews...the house smells soooo good when visitors knock on the door. 

I plan my chores by the weather, this fall I have to put a last coat of polyurethane sealand on my kitchen cabinets which I stained burgudy last winter, also I still have five doors off the main hallway to paint a mocha color to match the walls also painted last winter but wasn't sure if I wanted to leave them white...after the summer full of a zillion teenagers in & out all day & night,  I have decided...lol!

15. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Bradbury's story "Someting Wicked this Way Comes" takes place in October, too.

There' that name again, I have to google him,  do you know about "The Harvest Tree"?

16. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

another thing also if may I add is the weather condition, it starts to get colder and as research shows us, cases of depression rises starting the month of october

I think the shorter days on our side of the globe create a shortage of seratonin because our pituitary glands aren't receiving enough sunlight for stimulation.  I wonder if the effects are reversed in seasons on the opposite side of the globe, or is October eearie all over the world?

17. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

If anything, I've always noticed that a week before a full moon comes, many bizarre things happen.  And look out for the full moon night -- it's been recorded that there are higher incidences of acidents, murders, suicides, robberies and such. 

Who's going out trick or treating???  smile

We have the whole neighborhood over on Halloween night each year
      the older kids take the younger school aged kids, the parents take little ones, I serve spiced apple cider and goodies, my husband in full costume mans the firepit and guards over our "ghost duck", Daiseyduck, as she glows in the dark under the blacklights to the delight of the neighborhood kids!

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like lots and lots of fun!!!  smile

Hi Beth!  How are you?  Yes, we do have a great time catching up with our neighbors, it is so busy in the summertime and then before you know it , holiday preparations, so Halloween is a great time to relax and talk and assess how much the kids have grown...it's also great cuz dads are hanging around with the kids as much as the moms' and the kids get to showing off and bonding, it's really a safe place for everyone...

18. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

October? Not where I live! People are all getting in to the summer. smile
    I think you must be referring to the USA or Britain!
    Winter coming on for you guys, of course you feel a bit pissed! Half of you will be snowed in soon! lol

Hey there Earnest....not me, I live in California, but the shorter days are affecting moods even in Californians.... How do you feel about summer in October...is there any heaviness in the atmosphere or strangeness?  It could show whether or not it's the history of the month itself or the weather...such a mystery???  hmm  hmm

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have lived here all my life, so I am used to summer coming about now.smile It starts with clear warm days like today and sometimes lasts through to March or even April. I love it! smile

Starting about six  or eight weeks from now even Californians will be yearning for March or April, it will be our springtime! Did you notice I added to your Limerick?  Belt my pegs indeed!

19. Hope Alexander profile image69
    Hope Alexanderposted 14 years ago

You know, I quite agree. Things do get weird and restless in October. I've found that I personally become more likely to take greater risks and do reckless things in October.

Well Hope, I pray not toooo reckless?  What kind of greater risks???

20. chenmikehk profile image40
    chenmikehkposted 14 years ago

October? I am still trying to remember September!

We are still in October. I shall try to tell you about October in November. Then October will be fine, I think!

21. Abs Machine profile image60
    Abs Machineposted 14 years ago

In my case the reasons are:
    * back from vacations, need to get accustomed to working that hard again
    * begin of autumn: the cold, less sun,...
    * starting of the marketing plans for the next year, i.e. the period of the year in which I work most and get really stressed out...

22. Gilo profile image59
    Giloposted 14 years ago

Well this is a very northern hemisphere discussion... I'm from the Highveld in South Africa, and every October was known as suicide season. The theory was that it was due to the change in season - you went from cool clear days straight into high summer with temperatures in the mid 30 degrees. (That's about 95 degrees fahrenheit.) So maybe there is something to do with the change in season. Not just going into winter, but into summer also. (Although personally I like October, because I like the beginning of summer.)

23. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

I Find March to be the maddest month

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)