Thinking about Halloween costumes?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Joelle Burnette profile image70
    Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years ago

Halloween is undoubtedly my favorite holiday. Okay, I'm a tad biased since Halloween is my birthday. Still, it's just around the corner; closer than Christmas, in any case, regardless of stores already stocking xmas items.

Anyway, what costume will you be wearing for Halloween? Will you make it? or buy it? I prefer making costumes; my mom got me started making costumes when we were kids and I never stopped.

Oh, and show photos of past creations if you'd like.

Thanks!
    Joelle

1. mysong profile image61
      mysongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would recommend adding a personalized song to the party smile

2. nikki1 profile image61
      nikki1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Using the thinking cap is fun.. adding a piece here and there come up with new idez [0D].

Gota question?
      Is trick or treating just for the youth (k-4) give or take?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We usually get some college age hoping to create a stash of goodies! Sometimes they borrow a sibling to keep it respectable.

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OctoMom:

http://i37.tinypic.com/212et83.jpg
      this would be really easy to do. nothing to buy except eight cheap baby dolls from the craft store...i think you can get a whole bag for 5 bucks...

2. bearnmom profile image67
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

My Dad's birthday was Halloween and likewise it's my favorite holiday.  I was never good at making costumes but my Mom would open her trunk from her acting days and fashion us something as kids.

Myself I have only made one costume in my life and it won prizes.  I blew up purple balloons and sewed them onto a jacket.  Then I did a green felt mask that was put onto a needle point frame that fit over the head.  It was a bunch of grapes.

A couple of years later for another contest I did the same but did 2 bunches of grapes purple for my hubby and green for me.  We won that contest that year too.

1. Joelle Burnette profile image70
      Joelle Burnetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used a similar costume with some other ladies I worked with when we were in a show and our song was, you guessed it, "I heard it through the grapevine." Our costumes were a hit!

Did your dad enjoy decorating the house? We go all out at our house.

1. bearnmom profile image67
        bearnmomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My Dad didn't decorate for his birthday because he worked most nights as Steward for our American Legion.  But he did do the traditional jack-o-lantern with us.  His best decorations were done for Christmas.

3. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

well I wasn't until I read this thread smile

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I was at a Halloween party once where one of my single friends was dressed up in silver tights, silver face and hair paint and she had a gray plastic trash can lid on her head. She had cut arm and leg holes in a silver trash bag, slipped it on and filled it with crumpled up paper. When I asked her what she was supposed to be, she said, "Well, I was hoping someone would want to take out the trash!" smile

1. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

did it work?

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ya know, I believe it did! smile

1. dohn121 profile image82
          dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...Someone else's trash is another one's treasure big_smile

5. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

Halloween is my favorite Holiday as well.  I really don't make costumes but my mother did for me for years and years...I won't go into the specifics but I loved it for that reason.  My son has decided to be "BumbleBee" from Transformers.  So exciting for children!

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I saw a great one once. People wore black and painted stick figures on their outfits in florescent paint.

I found a video...you might want to turn off the sound...it's a bit annoying smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHR42RJvBhw

I don't usually do anything for Halloween myself these days. Although once I dressed up as a Vampire Vulcan...with pointy teeth and pointed ears.

7. Kevin Peter profile image59
    Kevin Peterposted 14 years ago

Find some Halloween Boys and Girlz Costumes and Read about history of Halloween  at my hub

How and Why do we celebrate halloween’s day

http://hubpages.com/hub/celebrate-halloween-day

1. nikki1 profile image61

Adding ur hubs in here, is not allowed, my friend.
      Plez do not do this again.. u may be banned.
      haveagreatday

8. profile image52
    Zay Cposted 14 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers! For those of you that like to put your own costumes together (it seems more fun that way) check out my ideas http://hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Halloween-Costume-Ideas-1. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Are they creative, original? Maybe some of you have ways to make my ideas better.Thanks. Hope everyone has a great Halloween!!

1. nikki1 profile image61

We forgive u for adding ur hub, in here. Just plez do not
      add them again. This is not allowed.
      haveagreatday.

9. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Anybody ever listen to Halloween stories (fact or fiction) in the dark on Halloween?
    Recorded, live radio, or in-person tales told in the midst of complete darkness...or by candlelight.

10. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Have you seen the cat-with-the-lime-helmet costume..

http://juliasegal.tumblr.com/post/19718 … er-the-cat

11. Lighting Lady profile image61
    Lighting Ladyposted 14 years ago

Do I love Halloween...Heck yeah!  We are invited out to a party the night before Halloween, I'm gonna be a piece of Candy Corn.

12. midnightbliss profile image60
    midnightblissposted 14 years ago

OctoMom is pretty scary wink Growing up in the Philippines Halloween wasn't that big of a deal but now that I'm in the States I love it. I read this cool article on the origins of Halloween the other day, http://www.halloweencostumesz.com/histo … n-history/ which inspired me to research and write about the myth of the black cat, http://hubpages.com/hub/Scary-Halloween-Black-Cat-Myth

I'm still not sure what I'm going as this year. Might go as Cat Woman but I have multiple parties on Fri/Sat. so actually thinking of Cat Woman one night and something else the other. What's everyone else going as?

13. Bridget Batson profile image61
    Bridget Batsonposted 14 years ago

I LOVE that taking out the trash idea!!! Hilarious!!!!

14. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Last year my daughter dressed as a Borg (Star Trek, for anyone who doesn't know).  It was a great costume.  She had lights tucked behind the arm holes, near the belt, etc., so the colored lights seemed to be coming from her.  She spray painted a toy gun (that looked like a space gun, rather than a "regular" one) from the dollar store, some "arm things" and "leg things" (I think they were for a Knight costume originally).  She had a "sparkly" dress and wore tights.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)