Two Popcorn Questions

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

1.  I've been on a quest to find a store-bought, microwave, popcorn that tastes as close to butter popcorn from the theatre as possible.  Does anyone have a brand they recommend and/or does anyone know something to dump of plain popcorn that makes it just like movie theatre butter popcorn?  (I've tried melted butter, and that isn't it.  I've tried one store-bought oil type of thing said to be for topping popcorn, but that's not it either.)  (By the way, I know it isn't great cholesterol-wise - just want the occasion theatre popcorn for at-home movie guests  lol  ).

2.  There's a Kraft cheese powder that's made for sprinkling on plain popcorn and turning it into cheese popcorn. 

Does anyone know of similar product (or a recipe for making a similarly easy, shake-on, product) for making "candy popcorn" (the pink kind you usually get at the beach or amusements parks and that tastes sweet)?

2. bearnmom profile image66
    bearnmomposted 14 years ago

I usually buy extra buttery microwave popcorn.  That is the closest I can get to movie theatre popcorn.  As far as the cheese popcorn.  Use the cheese from the boxed Mac N Cheese.  You can always use the macaroni for something else.  Now the sweet pink that's a stumper.

3. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Orville Reddenbacker makes a microwavable popcorn with pour over sauce you can get butter, cheese, or carmel. It is about the most similar I have come across.

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

LOL! And I just wrote a whole article about popcorn for Demand Studios just yesterday! smile

I use clarified, melted butter and then top with a mix of Molly McButter and Morton's popcorn salt. Works for me anyway! smile

The pink popcorn you're talking about is just a flavored kettle corn. I make kettle corn all the time. It is delicious!!! Essentially, you just pop your popcorn, make some caramel, add a little baking soda to give it a lighter feel and then mix with the popcorn bake in a low oven until it hardens. (Email if you want the recipe...)

I would imagine the pink popcorn just uses a strawberry-flavored caramel. I've never tried to make it personally.

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

hmm..the sweet pink stuff reminds me of popcorn balls on halloween- made with Jell-o

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,181,159 … 02,00.html

6. Dominionmaster2 profile image62
    Dominionmaster2posted 14 years ago

Unfortunately you won't find anything that quite tastes like the movie popcorn unless you do it the way they do it. That is good ole fashioned popped on the stove white popcorn. Then make you some butter, a tiny bit of canola oil and some popcorn salt in a pan and then pour it evenly on your popcorn and shake the crap out of it. Microwave popcorn won't get you there, however if you insist on microwave popcorn you should try Movie times theater butter flavored popcorn. closest I have ever gotten.

7. Lisa HW profile image62

bearnmom, thanks.

lynnchandler, that sounds pretty intriguing.  I haven't seen that at my grocery store.

irohner, thanks.  (Apparently, it's popcorn season.)  Adding the "McButter stuff" and salt does seem like it may change "plain, old, melted butter" into something more like movie theatre butter.  Plain, old, melted butter just doesn't do it - needless to say.   smile

Janetta, interesting.  Thanks.  smile

Dominionmaster2, thanks.  I shouldn't admit this, but I'm thinking about microwave white popcorn with the butter/oil mix dumped onto it.   smile  Can't help it - I'm lazy and don't like washing big, giant, pots.  smile

It occurred to me that there are those kits that have pink sugary stuff for making candy apples.  I'm wondering if that, or that mixed with something else, may make the pink popcorn....   I may look into that.

8. Dominionmaster2 profile image62
    Dominionmaster2posted 14 years ago

Well I guess microwave it is, it's alright, I am old and sometimes old fashioned but hey the important part is the movie flavor right? LOL Enjoy let me know how it turns out

9. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Orville Reddenbacker also makes a butter flavored oil.  Melting butter and adding some of this oil to dribble over the popcorn is the closest I've come.

10. Blogging Erika profile image68
    Blogging Erikaposted 14 years ago

Needless to say, the movie theater popcorn is REALLY terrible for you!  Part of the reason it tastes so good is that it uses coconut oil, which will pretty much kill you dead on the spot.  The other reason is that they actually pop the corn in a TON of the exact same buttery topping.

Check out these packs - these are what the kids dump into the popcorn machine at the theater.  Will ya look at the ratio of corn to grease?  (Oo it's making me hungry!)

http://www.ht-accessories.com/Cinemagic … p_325.html

Point #1: You could probably buy these packs, dump them into a pot at home, and actually make it yourself. But considering the price, I'm not sure if I'd be willing to experiment!

Point #2: You could probably achieve a similar effect by buying that Orville Reddenbacher butter flavored oil, and using a LOT more to cook the corn than you usually would.

11. Lisa HW profile image62

Whoa - I went to that site.  That one's for the SERIOUS popcorn eater.  lol  (Thanks, by the way.)

I did notice that anti-freeze bottle full of some kind of buttery stuff.  I'd imagine that might help achieve my aims.  lol  I had no idea canola oil came in bars.  lol

12. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Some theaters let you in to the concession area without showing your ticket. They have the ticket-taking person beyond the concessions.  I've actually gone in just to buy popcorn and leave.  smile   Obviously, it doesn't travel well and wouldn't be good by the time you drive very far.  But, it's great for on the spot to eat on the way home.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)