Sorry to readers.

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

I recently had one of my hubs flagged and removed for descriptive sex. I removed my Grave Robbers and House on Blood Road stories because they too had descriptive sex.
    I removed about 20 other hubs that might be offensive to readers.
    I will however be placing the stories on another site or possibly re-writing some and returning them to HubPages.
    Thanks so much to everyone for reading and commenting.
    There are a lot of fine writers and readers here.

1. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You need to stay true to yourself and to your work.  You shouldn't have to remove your stories just because someone has a problem with the content.  If it helps tell the story, then it is a needed part.  Why should you have to change that?  I may not agree with a story about how horror movies are what turns normal people into killers, but I'm not going to flag it.
      When something that I write is criticized, I ask myself if I mean and believe in what I wrote.  If I answer it Yes, I leave it alone.  If it is No, then I look at revising it.  I haven't revised anything yet.

1. profile image0
        Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years agoin reply to this

ditto.

2. Tom Cornett profile image80
        Tom Cornettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks....I agree...some stories need to be descriptive...I can change a few and not hurt the story tho.

1. lorlie6 profile image71
          lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never thought I'd agree with someone called 'bloodnlatex, but he is absolutely right.

1. profile image0
            bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I think you are the first one that has agreed with me...

1. sannyasinman profile image60
              sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then I'm the second to agree with you - despite the photo (it's even more gruesome than your previous one) smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Someone" doesn't have a problem with the content.  A big mindless corporation called Google has a problem with the content. 

We all rely on Google Adsense for our income here on HubPages.  In fact, HubPages relies on Adsense for its income - without it, HubPages wouldn't exist.  That means Google is the boss, and what the boss says, goes.  If you don't like the boss's rules, go find another job.

I hope you find another site that is willing to publish your stories, Tom - just bear in mind it can't be a site that has Adsense or you'll eventually hit the same problem all over again.

Marisa...thanks....I understand HubPages position...that's why I removed 50 hubs...because I thought they might break the rules?  Hopefully...other hubbers will see this thread and not make the same mistake I did.
          If I am unsure from now on...I will submit the hub to be published and get approval first.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I thought you did, Tom. I just wanted to prevent the same misunderstandings that occurred when GoldenToad left - lots of people getting indignant about "artistic freedom". 

I'm not saying people shouldn't have artistic freedom, just that it's not relevant to this discussion.  If you want complete artistic freedom, self-publish.  Otherwise, you must bow to the rules of your publisher, whether that be HubPages, or a mainstream publishing house.  Artistic freedom doesn't pay the rent!

Thanks again Marisa...I totally understand the frustration of writers and publishers.  I wrote songs in Nashville for years. I wrote with guys and gals who graduated from Julliard.  We had to actually "Dumb Down" the lyrics to pitch our songs.  The Hit writers could stand their ground and sometimes get away with artistic control...we couldn't at all!
              As in (Delete.... Grab my Golden Retriever)...insert...(Grab my Beagle and Leave Her) in a love song.
              I got to the point where I told them,"I don't care if you jack the song up and put a moron under it...just write me the damn check!"  smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

That's a great example, Tom!

2. profile image58
      franki79posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're looking for a site to post these stories on, I am a memeber of one that you might be interested in, well, actually two of them come to mind, both or free sites. Let me know if you need one or both and I will send you the links. Sh** I love to read them. *I would love to read them. Didn't feel like back spacing. Sorry.
      Franki

Thanks Franki...that would be great!  smile

3. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

do you have a link to the new site?
      I will miss your stories so much!!! sorry i didnt comment much, but... I am a fan..or was with my other 2 names and wil be soon with this one...
      i dont care where it is, as long as I get to read it...some people are shitheads! or maybe jealous they dont know what sex can be? smile

Thanks so much Justine...I'll post a link when I move them.

4. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

They were good Tom, write on, keep going. make your own Page, find a way around it. You are a writer sir.

Jon

Thanks dutchman...I'm working on it now.  smile

2. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Of course you will send me the links? I've been out for almost a month and I know I have missed a lot. And I wouldn't want the sanitized versions, the dirtier the better! Ha! cool

PS I wouldn't describe your work as "graphic", they're more like "detailed" and "mature" cool

Hey Cris...I'm still searching for a site...I'll be sure and send the links ... thanks man!  LYM!  smile

3. Pearldiver profile image65
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Nothing like applying a condom to the minds of unprotected readers lol

LOL!  smile

4. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

never even read them either

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Never been a fan of descriptive sex, it requires a hand to scroll; you dont need to scroll a video.

1. profile image0
      Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years agoin reply to this

rofl lol

2. Cris A profile image59
      Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

one hand to scroll and the other is free to do whatever it likes to do or did i miss the point? LOL cool

3. Tom Cornett profile image80

Auto scroll.....hands free.  smile

6. profile image0
    Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years ago

Tom, as you may well know, I adore your writing, in all its forms.  My only regret is that I could not read your work as often as I'd liked to because of school and work commitments.  Please let me know where you may venture to, I will be sure to follow -hugs-

Thanks so much AIDY....Such a sweet person...I will...big hugs!  smile

7. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Tom, I hate to be simple about the issue, but damn the man dude. Write what you want to, and keep doing it. If THEY have a problem, then let THEM do something about it. I know there are rules, but we will never no how far we can go until we bump up against those rules. In the meantime we are all supposed to be adults here. If people have issue with your descriptive imagery then that is THEIR problem. How is describing something any different from a thousand half nude pictures of bollywood actresses? Don't be bullied.

Thanks Scott....I don't mind transferring the stories and I will use caution when writing new hubs.  HubPages is a good site....just not good for a lot of my work.

1. Cris A profile image59
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And I thought you knew that this is no country for dirty old men! LOL LYMore cool

LOLOLOLOL!  I love that movie!  smile  LYM!

8. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Hey Tom, with all that material you have taken down, why don't you start your own self hosted site and use your profile here to help point traffic that way.  Having your own site leaves you in total control of what content and what language is acceptable. 

Start the site then send a message to all those that commented on your hubs letting them know that you moved the content...thought that might be too late if you already deleted them.

Thanks...That's a good idea!  Haven't deleted ...just unpublished until I get time to go through them.

9. fortunerep profile image67
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

Tom,

Well that just a;kjfkdjkjaofuejf;adkje me off.

dori

Thanks Dori....LOL...Will finish Blood Road and let you know the link.  smile

2. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree! smile

Sweet!  smile

10. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Tom, I thought it was only one hub that was flagged. Why take down so many more that weren't?  I agree with the rest. Post your new website with your former hubs.

Thanks Flightkeeper....I was afraid that more would be flagged and I could possibly lose my account here.  I removed about 50 and will work on a few of them to return to HubPages.

11. maggs224 profile image80
    maggs224posted 14 years ago

I am sorry that someone has flagged one of your hubs, I know that I am a bit straight laced as the English put it but I can't truly say that I found anything in your writing offensive like beauty I suppose it is in the eye or mind of the beholder. I love your stories so I will be watching out for your links.

Thanks so much maggs...I'll send a message when I get them on.  smile

12. profile image49
    badcompany77posted 14 years ago

I loves ya Tom smile

Loves ya back Captain!  smile

13. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Good attitude, good decision in my view Tom. I love your writing, but you need to protect your income as well, so maybe another site for the ones that have no adsense? Like others here I will follow anyway. smile

Thanks much Earnest....I don't have much income but you're right...I do need to protect what I have.  I will let everybody know where I put my other works.  Thanks again!  smile

14. Cris A profile image59
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Tommy
    Just make sure though that the new place has a garden for partying and gardening of course. And who knows, Pest and toadie might already be there cool

Oh yes...I love their writing! Sometimes ya just gotta plant your own garden.  My writing problems are the least of my worries...how are you doing?  I sure hope things are getting better.  smile

15. dohn121 profile image80
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Geez, what a big blow Tommy yikes  Can we expect a few more stories from you that isn't as "offensive"?  Please say so sad

Thanks dohn...I'll still be writing here...just not the juicy stuff...well..maybe a little juicy.   smile

16. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

One of the biggest creative challenges of writing is working within the constraints of the medium.
    *Sigh*
    Glad you're taking it so well and going to publish your bawdier works elsewhere.I'm sure you'll find a hungry audience for them.
    And meantime, think of all the money you can make here with product reviews = D

Thanks MM....I'll keep going...slapping my hand and backspacing.  smile...I could do product reviews...I've seen lots of little old ladies staring at cucumbers in the fresh produce department.  smile

17. k@ri profile image84
    k@riposted 14 years ago

Tom,  All I can say is I have never read anything by you that is inappropriate.  I always enjoy your hubs!  cool

Thanks K@ri  so nice of you to say that.  smile

18. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I better watch my sippin' whiskey. Will I be next? Just don't leave Tom, maybe google doesn't like penis, or vagina. Just come up with more suitable creative terms. Live and learn. I didn't know that google could flag a hub, learn something new everyday. Good luck friend.

Thanks Charlie...I'm just going to use P word and V word from now on but I ain't gonna put it in the same sentence as the F word. smile

19. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

You do not owe us an apology we understand I have pulled some of my hubs at the request of my publisher so don't worry we understand. smile

Thanks AEvans...Not worried...I am just transplanting some in a new garden.  smile

20. Candie V profile image62
    Candie Vposted 14 years ago

Ah, crap! Who would flag your hubs?  Get a grip people!  Sorry Tom, you are a great talent and an asset to these "hallowed halls".  I'm sorry, someone was thin skinned. 

Why people can't just not rate a hub they disagree with, leave it, don't come back, don't let the door hit ya in the a**.  My post will probably get flagged and I'll be banned. Oh well!

Love ya Tom!

Hi Candie....where you been?...yip...it happens.  Tammy and I haven't seen much of you lately...burning the midnight oil?  Love ya back!  smile

21. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

But I only got to read the first chapter of blood road! *pouts and frowns* When your work finds a new home, can you please let me know where it is, thanks. smile

Thanks much wrenfrost....I'll be sure to let you know.  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)