Outrage, 2 more little girls taken

Jump to Last Post 1-46 of 46 discussions (140 posts)
  1. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Two More little girls are missing, Somer Thompson a 7 year old, second grader from Orange Park, Florida, a suburb of Jacksonville, was taken while on her way home from school Monday (Oct 19,2009). A body found Wednesday in a South Georgia landfill was tentatively identified as Somer.

Another little girl, Elizabeth Olten, 9 years old disappeared while walking home from a friend’s house last night (October 21, 2009) the search for her is continuing.

This is an absolute outrage! In this country to not protect our children is unthinkable and unconscionable.

See if you agree with my approach(below)towards stopping the most egregious and heinous crimes in our society. If your do, put pressure on your legislators to act.

1. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Child molesters have the highest recidivism of any other criminal. The fact is the sentencing for these people needs to be longer, much , much longer. The problem is our jails are packed with drug criminals. What we need to do is legalize drugs and make room for the criminals that perpetrate violence on our children!

2. TimTurner profile image70
      TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's sad but there are hundreds more abductions that you never hear about every year.  And countless will never be found.

3. RKHenry profile image65
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

News like this sucks ass.  I hate it.

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

fiends who prey on children should be put to death. when i think of all the times i walked home alone (and that one time when i was five and got on the wrong bus) i cringe. i hope whoever killed those little girls falls asleep in a dumpster and wakes up just as the garbage truck is sliding him into the trash compactor or something. then he will know what sheer terror feels like.

5. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is sad. Is America moving towards a pagan state?

Jyoti Kothari

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
        mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is "a Pagan State", I am not sure as I am Pagan who loves most forms of life, although I draw the line at these kinds of murderers and paedophiles?

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

very sadly, little summer has been found. sad
    very, very, very sic people.

readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard that, I can not begin to describe my anger, it even outwieghs my sadness.

3. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Those people anger me and shake me to the core! That is when I believe an eye for an eye nobody has any right to harm or murder a child! They need to be put on a firing line and shot in the head for there stupidity maybe if the laws change then these sick people would stop. sad

4. rebekahELLE profile image85

I cried watching the update when it was announced. I don't understand...

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Sad. But spamming the forums does not make it any better.

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how are they spamming the forums...... a genuine question

Misha,

I’m sorry if you think this is spamming, it’s not intended as such. I think this is a horror hidden in our society that needs to exposed and eliminated. That will only happen when enough people put pressure on state and federal legislators to change the existing protections in place shielding these animals.

Discussing the issue in a forum doesn’t seem to me to be spamming. If you take issue with the link, would you have preferred I copied it over to put forth my idea for solution and discussion thereof?

6. readytoescape profile image60

As a parent I can not even imagine the heartache this family is going through, not to mention the many thousands of others that have endured this. I don't think I could.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

In other words, starting threads with the link to own hubs is not allowed. Ends do not justify means, sorry. smile

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

to be quite open here, I didn't even notice his link. I think it's an important topic and don't see this as spam. smile

2. Deborah-Lynn profile image61
      Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Did I miss something, I didn't see a link anywhere Misha?hmm

I posted a link at the beginning of this thread to a hub I had written when Jaycee Lee Dugard was found, outlining the changes we need to make in the system to prevent this from happening over and over. Misha had an issue with it believing I was “spamming the hub” rather than bringing up the issue.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

firing squad for child molesters

9. readytoescape profile image60

In order to keep misha happy and maintain “proper forum etiquette” I have deleted the “offensive link” above in the initial post and inserted its salient points below.

Deterrents

Firstly this one needs to get simple. Crimes of this nature, (kidnapping, abduction, rape, murder ect) against children should be a federal offense. The penalty should be death; period. As Ron White has said about the Texas execution laws, his “state is putting in an express lane.” No 20 year long waits on death row, no unlimited appeals, one trial, one speedy appeal and then off to lightning road. With the forensic and evidence gathering techniques of today this should be pretty straightforward. And if this is not a good enough deterrent, someone that commits this type of heinous act against the fabric of society does not deserve the privilege to be a part of it. The only acceptable exception to the penalty should be for disputed child custody.

Also sexual predator and offender registration requirements need be tightened and strictly enforced. There are way too many of these offenders in society “missing”. Once a child is reported missing, during the search, these animals should not have the right of protection from search and seizure. Jessica Lunsford was not found and saved because Couey’s sister refused a law enforcement “request” to search the home in which he was registered and resided, the reason they were there. Yes I know this seems harsh to the 18-year-old boy labeled as an offender because of his 16-year-old girlfriend, and I agree. One, I think this type of prosecution is stupid, two if the States must prosecute, those convicted should be in a different category than those stated above.

Finding our Kids

Finally the Amber Alert system needs to be drastically revamped. Pictures and descriptions of a reportedly missing child and suspect (if known) should, within minutes of a report, be on the screen of every TV, computer, cell phone, Blackberry, GPS device within a 100 mile radius of an abduction. And don’ try to tell me its too expensive or it would take to much effort to collect all that data. Bull Crap. The data and communication systems are already in place and in use. How many of your receive advertisements from your service provider? Same system. Get it Done.

Children taken from their families, in our society, in this nation, is simply unacceptable.

10. readytoescape profile image60

As to spamming, it appears the “Vote for Amy Jane” thread, which has been reposted for weeks seems to meet that definition more so than this one.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85

you bring up some good points as well as poppablues, too many drug offenders are taking up space and costing taxpayers money when we allow these sic, worse than animals offenders loose.

with everyone using twitter, why not twitter alerts?

12. readytoescape profile image60

I agree, we should use every communciation method at our disposal in the time of an amber alert.

one more point before I sign off, I need to get some work done. hmm

a seven year old is too young to be walking alone. not to  blame this parent, but somehow neighbors, older children could be working together to make sure young children are not walking alone to and from school. I don't know all the details in this situation, but we need to work as communities and not be so isolated.

13. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Icky and sad indeed. I'm usually a callous person, and though I do not like crime, I usually just sigh at most cases and happy it was not me.

But, stuff with children really angers me. Urgh, whenever I go on neighborhoodwatchdog.com (or whatever it is called), which shows you sexual predators housed around you, I cringe. There are a few nearby...to be honest, I'm more scared of them than someone who murdered a person in the heat of rage.

14. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Years ago, my daughter was molested. The man got 6 months in the county jail - and it was his SECOND offense!!

There is something wrong with this country when you get much worse punishment for growing a few pot plants than you do for molesting a child - twice!!

1. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are many forms of justice, the system has one,God has one and I have one, mines terminal.

1. ledefensetech profile image67
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering why this guy is still ambulatory.  My fiance knows a family who had their daughter molested.  One of her brothers deliberately go sent to jail and he...ah...administered some rough and ready justice to the perpetrator.  That's how you deal with rapist scum like that.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
          Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's the Spartan way, too.

Have to agree with your second comment - it is very rare in this part of the world because everybody watches out for each other. Our friends brought their three girls here, on vacation, and were happy to let them wander off on their own.

In the UK, by contrast, there is less community spirit in many areas - people don't know their neighbours as well as they did a few years back.

Hmm.  That lends credence to a theory I once heard about social organization.  High trust areas tend to have neighbors who watch out for each other, etc.  Low trust areas have neighbors who don't talk to one another, are suspicious towards each other and usually towards authority as well. 

Say what you will about suburbia, but those tend to be high trust areas.  Compare that with low trust areas like projects.  It bears thinking on.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
              Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure - we are very rural here, and Sparta is a small town where everybody knows everybody else. The crime rate is practically zero.

By contrast, there are parts of Athens that are definitely off limits, although most of the city is safe smile

2. readytoescape profile image60

Habee, I dont know what to say to your daughters molestation, it is beyond any words I could articulate. I can not imagine your rage. I think given your position I would have ended up in jail...for a very long time.

15. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Yes, Rebekah, there definitely need to be changes. My grandaughter lives a few blocks from her school. She's six. The school system told us she lives too close to ride the bus, so she can walk home. Walk home - by herself? A six year old? I DON'T THINK SO!!

16. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I agree, Tex. I think there's a special place in Hell for those who are cruel to children, old people, animals, or any defenseless creature!

Habee, well said, I couldn't have put it better myself.

17. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

RTE: Don't think I wasn't tempted! I have a shotgun and I know how to use it! (former skeet-shooting champ)

But I decided I could be more helpful to my daughter out of jail. I had a terrible time trying to calm down my husband, as you can imagine.

I have no doubt. I not sure my wife would be able to control me, your husband is probably a better man than I am. I can almost guarantee this piece of #@&*% would have ended up as alligator excrement.

2. profile image0

If you were going to do it the shotgun was the right choice! No ballistics!

18. sooner than later profile image59
    sooner than laterposted 14 years ago

and I wanted to shoot the guy who stole my quad. habee, hats off to your patience.

19. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

And always remember "Friends help you move, good friends help you move bodies!"

some of us know how to get rid of them too

1. profile image0

Are you affiliated with any law enforcement agencies or the Federal Government? I cannot comment until I know for sure.

20. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I love that quote, Tex!

21. readytoescape profile image60

But I must say, none of us should have to go to those lengths to obtain justice. Nor should our children be offered up as prey for these, I can’t find an appropriate word, ………

This is what we have a government for, it is their duty to protect our children, not that is not our own as well, but the government must eliminate any and all known threats to our children’s’ welfare.

And Tex, I drink with a few, does that count?

22. sooner than later profile image59

I work for the the Federal Railroad Admin. (Railway Police). Safe.

The best way to dispose of a body does not include water.

sorry can't give away trade secrets

23. archdaw profile image60
    archdawposted 14 years ago

Sorry habee, but I think that what has happened is sad, but it happens more than you can imagine.  Hell, my brother went to jail for me.

24. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I also find child predators as disgusting as you all do. And while I feel horrible for those parents, I have a whole lot of contempt for them as well. What the hell were those children doing out walking alone at those ages? Are they nuts?

I know the little girl from Florida started out walking with a group of kids (keyword - KIDS), but that's just not enough these days. I'm a mother of 3 grown children, not a child predator. But I do know that if I were, I'd be trolling the streets in suburban or rural areas near schools between 2:30pm and 4:00pm every day and 7:30am and 9:00am. Letting children alone on the streets during those times is like standing on a street corner giving free booze to alcoholics.

I mean, come on! We can't protect our children from everything in every situation. But both of these situations were entirely preventable. Even Jayce Lee Dugard was taken on her way to school, for Pete's sake.

Preventable, I sorrily must agree, but we also should not be forced to tolerate as a society laws that allow these animals to prowl freely, most of them are repeat offenders. That is unacceptable.

1. sooner than later profile image59
        sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

agreed

2. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. But I also wouldn't leave a 7 year old or a 9 year old for that matter alone in a house with a fire going in the fireplace or a lit oven, and yet there's absolutely no law against doing so. It's just common sense.

And I'm sure these are the same parents who hired babysitters for these kids when they went out on Saturday night even though the kids were all tucked away at home. I swear, some parents just kill me.

Parents shouldn't rely on others to protect their children, and that includes the laws. They need to be the first line of defense.

sure, we will never know. I would not have my kids walk a mile home- as one article stated Somer did. I used to walk a lot farther, barefoot in the snow- uphill both ways. but these days are diff.

1. profile image0

I did too but I was under fire from the Japanese!

one upped me. smile

2. TimTurner profile image70

I recently read a report that said 95% of all serial killers in the world live in the U.S.  And that there are roughly 100 serial killers in the U.S. that haven't been caught yet.

Pretty scary.

25. profile image0

I know the best way to get rid of a body, I'm just not going to give my secret away! wink

Well, over here, some years back a farmer fell into his pig stys, and all they ever found of him was his hat some weeks later, so my tip would be to remove any hats and then put the body in with some hungry pigs wink

Good tip, swine for swine

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does your Bacon taste a little Odd! hmmm...

LOL, now you come to mention it.......

2. profile image0

Hungry Hogs will certainly do the trick!

26. sooner than later profile image59

ahh I don't need any. thanks Readytoescape.

out west we have plenty of good ways. all of which i have not had the liberty to use, but maybe some day. haha.

27. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I love the US, but I hate how much it's changed. I live in the same house I grew up in. When I was a kid, my pals and I walked to the same school my granddaughter attends, and we had the run of the neighborhood by the time we were 4 or 5. Nobody thought anything about it! Even when my kids were 12 and 13, they'd take off on their horses and be gone all afternoon. They didn't have cell phones, either. I would be horrified now for my 13-year-old niece to do something like that. What happened to us??

1. profile image0

Electricity!

Liberal progressive philosphy, political correctness,and everybody's a winner.

3. TimTurner profile image70

I honestly think it's because we tried to run this country as a strict, religious state in the beginning.  We were founded by Pilgrims who were pretty fundamental in their religious beliefs.  I mean, boys couldn't even masturbate without being punished!  It was a very strict way of life.

And as times have changed, we are slacking on the rules and it creates more confused people using their free will in the wrong way.

Now, if we raised our nation on a European view that gives everyone more responsibility when they are younger, it would've been different.  But we are doing the reverse.  We shelter our kids and they don't learn responsibility until college when parents basically throw them to the wolves.  They go crazy with all their free will.

Sixteen year olds can drink in Europe and not go over-board.  Europeans drink beer at work and everything is fine.  Try that in the U.S. and all hell breaks loose.

The U.S. was founded on strict religious laws that just can't be followed and now we are stuck in the middle.

Eventually, I think we will be more like Europe as we are already moving in that direction.  But it will take time for it to work!

28. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I think a lot of it is due to a total lack of personal responsibility.

Just like when I was teaching - it was everyone's fault that a student was failing - except for the student's. And I'm talking high school seniors and college students.

29. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I don't think being strict and responsible has anything to do with it.  It used to be you didn't have to worry about sexual predators and you could run around.  But there are more people now and these occurrences happen more frequently because there are more predators.  I would rather that these predators get caught as soon as possible and are chemically castrated.

30. manlypoetryman profile image83
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

I'm for castrating them...by introducing them to the nearest 220V socket. Seriously...what possesses someone to hurt a child...let alone do something perverse...let alone Murder one? Time for some good ol' fashion Western Justice...when any of these sickos get caught: Judge>Sentencing>Hung in the Morning!

Amen.

1. manlypoetryman profile image83
        manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fanned you for sure...readytoescape. I'm also "ready to escape" on the first Space Shuttle off this crazy planet smile Hope to talk with ya' more in the future...I'm signing off.

31. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thank you for removing the link. smile

Now, just for a mental exercise, can we for a moment pretend that sex with minors is not a terrible crime, as long as it is not accompanied with violence towards those minors? And adjust our laws accordingly? What do you think, will at least some sexual predators leave our kids alive in that case?

32. readytoescape profile image60

And at what age would you consider a minor mature enough to make that kind of decision?

33. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I don't think minors have any free will to make a decision when they are in the hands of a predator.

you are typing in cirlces, indicating any type of sex with minors, or anyone for that matter is a consentual act, consent envoles decision making that comes from maturity, other wise its called rape, do you want to abolish that one too?

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now I see where you are coming from.

If this is a rape, there is a violence involved. In this case we punish for violence, whatever our punishment is for this.

I guess we have a natural criterion to meet your question then - whether there was any pain involved. Too small kids have too small organs, and a predator can't have real sex with them without physical damage and pain.

I dont think you have a clue where I coming from, I can't even imagine where your coming from, its pretty sick

34. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I thought you came here to seek answers. Looks like you have them already. Ciao.

35. readytoescape profile image60

I do, they are in the hub I wrote titled "Jaycee Lee Dugard Outrage". And I posted this thread to discuss the ways to prevent these henious crimes from happening to our children. It appears you on the other hand are trying to figure out how to make it permmissable. Is that why you had issue with the link to the hub? What are you trying to tell us? What answers would you like us to know?

1. Misha profile image63

Uh-oh, looks like ciao was a bit premature.

I did read your hub. And I think that your reaction is a typical panic reaction - "let's just do something, we can't leave it as it is". So, you propose to do more of the things that we do already, hoping it will help. It is unlikely it will help. It is not about frog and milk pail, it is about a bit more complex matters of human psychology.

They will continue to kill, in order to cover the ends. The harsher you punish and the better you track them down, the more likely they will kill after molesting. Sure, it is no fun to have your child molested. This does not mean to have kids killed is better. Think about it.

The rest of your post I leave to your anger.

1. profile image0

Most serial killers and sexual sadist enjoy killing more than the sex, the sex is violent and not meant for the victim to enjoy. You can not protect the child once they are gone and most of the time they are killed within a few hours.

1. Misha profile image63

True dat. Yet a couple of points - do you really think all child molesters are serial killers and sexual sadists? I actually saw quite a few reports of a different kind, even first hand here on hubpages. Also, those serial killers started somewhere. At least some of them did not think of killing before, and murdered for the first time just to cover up I would think...

Anyway, I'm cooked, night everybody smile

1. profile image0

No they aren't and they are less likely to abduct a child also. One that takes a kid is more often than not gonna kill that child.

Thank you for reading the hub. What you term as typical panic, I term outrage. And what I proposed is an elimination of the problem, no jail terms for anyone that attacks a child. That act needs to be made unthinkable, the death penalty for any egregious offense against a child. No twenty years on death row, one trial, one speedy appeal, then straight to the chair.

The complex matters of human psychology you speak of are neither common nor that complex. It’s a simple weak predator instinct that will select the most vulnerable as prey. The permissive ideology such as you suggest is what we have now polluting the judicial system that allows these animals back on the streets, that indeed does not work. See Habee’s comment above, her daughter was attacked by a previous offender.

Child molesters have the highest recidivism of any other criminal personality; they would have the lowest if they no longer existed in our society. I’ll happily keep my anger and direct it at the source, you continue to believe assaulting a child is just a part of human psychology to be dealt with compassionately.

The cover up theory doesn’t wash, believing these animals will kill fewer children if we lessen penalties is beyond fathomable.

And how would you protect innocent people wrongly accused of being a molester.  Prisons in this country are full of people who have been wrongly imprisoned.  Or does that not matter in your fanatical zeal to "protect children".  What about kids who are sexual predators?  How do you tell which ones are predators and which ones are exploring their sexuality?

I'm not sure about this one.  People who are willing to rape kids and kill them are not going to start letting them go just because we don't use the death penalty.  Reason being, that even if we don't kill them, we'll still lock them up.  This subset of rapists don't see their victims as kids, they see them as objects to be used and then discarded when no longer useful.  So they have no problem killing a kid just to say out of jail, much less doing it because they want to avoid execution.

The only thing that's going to keep your kids safe is how much attention you pay them.  Do you know where they are, where they're going.  When I was a kid I always had to tell my mom where I was going and who I was going to be with.  Sure she didn't know where we were all the time, but she knew we were with friends or she knew who's house we were playing at.  Know where your kids are and who they are with.

Respectfully,

My zeal as you call it, is to permanently punish the guilty. In today’s world of forensic technology, rarely is a wrongly accused convicted. I will admit we have all heard the stories of the disliked teacher or coach or neighbor falsely accused, but more often than not the truth will out.

Lets take for example the cases as outlined in my hub, Jessica Lunsford and Jaycee Lee Dugard is there any question of guilt? John Couey, Jessica’s murderer was twice before guilty of molesting children, in 1978, paroled in 1980 and again 1991 these offenses and no telling how many more, culminated in the rape and murder of 9 year old Jessica, to which he confessed.

Three days after he abducted her, Couey bound the child's wrists together with speaker wire, placed her in a garbage bag, placed the bag containing her inside another garbage bag and buried her alive in a shallow grave, where she suffocated to death.

It should also be noted, had the Citrus County Sheriff's Department been allowed by law to conduct a search of Couey's residence, a request refused by his sister and presently protected by the law, Jessica would have been found alive, the morning following her abuction.

Jaycee Lee Dugard’s abductor Phillip Garrido had a string on convictions dating back to 1976. We know that story.

These abhorrent crimes would never have happened to either of these little girls, and countless other children, had the law been more stringent, Couey and Garrido, both paroled, would have been in jail for life and/or not allowed to escape capital punishment.

Your suggestion that we watch our children closer bears scrutiny in that it implies acceptance of predators in the community should be the norm, and our children should be incarcerated in their homes so that they will not end up as prey.

Somer Thompson also 9, was taken Monday while walking home from school. This should not be a worry in anyone’s mind as it is now, as we ran and played un-hunted in our youth, our children should be afforded the same.

Lady, I don't know why you're assuming that just because I believe parents should know where their kids are and what their kids are up to is the same thing as accepting predators in our neighborhoods.  Nothing is further from the truth.  Truth be known, the world is a cruel and hard place.  It's up to the parents to make sure their kids are safe, nobody else will.

Why was Sommer walking home from school alone?  If I or my brother had done that, there would have been hell to pay when we came home and we lived on a military base.  My mom or one of our neighbors always walked us to school, usually a group of us that lived on the same street.  Jaycee was a bit different, Garrido was bold and snatched her in broad daylight right in front of her family.  Thankfully, those situations are rare. 

Concerning Garrido, there was a massive intelligence failure in that case.  The car he used to abduct Jaycee was in his yard, up on blocks!  Letting our rights to be secure in our homes would not have found her one second earlier than she was. 

As for Jessica, Coey stated he entered the home through an unlocked back door at three in the morning!!!  I don't care where you live, lock your doors.  Jessica's abduction just goes to show that you never can tell who or what may enter your home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Lu … fense_case

Your zeal also doesn't cover situations like Joshua Lunsford.  Is he really a sexual offender or a sexual predator?  At what point does someone become an offender or a predator?  What's the difference?  You explore none of this, just make hysterical accusations without knowing the reality of the cases, their causes and effects.  That's the problem with zealots, they only care about the ends, not the means to get there.

Ledefensetech,
                You make way to many assumptions, and most of them are wrong. Had you actually read my response to your post, or the hub, rather than skim it you may have picked up a few more points.

You say; “When I was a kid I always had to tell my mom where I was going and who I was going to be with.  Sure she didn't know where we were all the time, but she knew we were with friends or she knew who's house we were playing at.”

So was Somer.

Let me ask you, did your mom go with you when she gave you permission? I bet not, as you say above, you went alone. It’s the same with any normal parents’ kids.

You say; “The only thing that's going to keep your kids safe is how much attention you pay them.”

Your mom let you go. Was she a bad parent, as you insinuate the parents of these children are because they did the same as you say your mom did.

Stop blaming the children and the parents, blame and punish the criminal.

The statement you make of: “As for Jessica, Coey stated he entered the home through an unlocked back door at three in the morning!!!  I don't care where you live, lock your doors.  Jessica's abduction just goes to show that you never can tell who or what may enter your home.”

Are you trying to say the unlocked door forced this animal to steal a child. One act of criminality excuses another? He only did it because he had access, that’s just stupid.

Cruel world yes, better security most likely, turning our children and our society into fodder for the poor criminals, I think not. 

As to Joshua Lunsford, whom I believe was Jessica’s stepbrother, he was accused of unlawful sexual contact with a minor teenaged girl by the girls mother. He was 18 and she was 14, and admittedly on the girl’s part the contact was consensual. The mother’s complaint states that while the two were kissing, Lunsford attempted to fondle her daughter. Had the boy been a month younger or the girl a month older, which she lied about I might add, the “crime” would have been classified a misdemeanor.

Had you actually read the “hysterical Hub” you may have noted I excluded such issues as ridiculous prosecution and those actually convicted should be held in a separate category.

You say you don’t want to give up your freedoms in the case of a search, no one asked you too, unless you are an offender, I stated those listed as predators should not have the right of protection from search, not all. Are you on the list? Oops sorry, you probably didn’t read that part either.

All of your assumptions and you attempts at argument are incorrect or ill-conceived. Before you start making blatant assertions and name calling you should check them out a bit better.

Calling me a zealot is as factual as calling me a lady, as is the rest of your attempt at some type of concise point.  Read the hub fully then perhaps we can have a conversation.
                You may find we are not that far apart

We probably aren't too far apart, you're right.  One thing I think you make too much of is people like Garrido, Coey and the others.  In most cases sexual abuse is done by someone known to the child.  Kidnapping for the purposes of rape and murder are, thankfully, rare.  That being said, there are things that parents should be doing. 

To answer your question, yes, my mother did let me go out and play, but my brother and I never played alone.  If our friends had to go home, so did we.  This was true up until we were about 12 or 13.  After that we could ramble out on our own, but we were told about pedophiles and warned to watch out for them.

The whole Joshua thing, underscores a problem with the sexual offenders list.  I'm not saying that this invalidates the list, but that lists so maintained by the people who write the laws have a way of expanding and covering things they were never meant to cover.  Joshua was in a consensual act, I'm not saying he was right or wrong, but there was no violence or force used.  Yet even though his charge is a misdemeanor, he still has to register. 

I apologize for being sharp about the whole parent thing.  I just finished reading a biography of Richard Ramirez and was blown away as to how easy many people made it for him to enter their homes and do what he did.  It wasn't by any stretch of the imagination, their fault, but when you think about how, with a few changes, he would not have been able to enter their homes and kill them, I don't know it's just such a waste.

The problem I have with things like the death penalty is that by then, it's too late.  Those who have died are gone and nothing will bring them back.  We may have our desire for vengeance slaked, but the dead are still dead and nothing will bring them back.

I'm not saying that an "unlocked door forced that animal to act", but that the unlocked door is what gave him access to Jessica.  Coey wanted to find a girl to use and kill, nothing was going to stop him, the unsecured home is what gave him access to a victim.  People like Coey look for easy targets.  Doesn't it make sense to make your home and children hard targets?  If more people did that, we'd have less victims.  Surely that is a worthy goal?

2. lrohner profile image67
              lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This whole thread started over a 7 year old left to walk home from school with friends and sister and no adults, and a 9 year old allowed to walk home from a friend's home unescorted. Both kidnapped.

My mother did not allow me on to walk anywhere alone at that age, and that was the in the 60's. I never allowed it with my children at that age either in the 80's.

As I said in an earlier post, it freaking blows my mind that the same people who wouldn't think of leaving their children home alone with a fire going in the fireplace, or home alone in general, are the same ones who let them alone on the streets at that young age.  Come on....7 years old? 9 years old?

I feel sorry for those parents because I understand that the pain that they feel has to be excruciating. However, I do feel that they shoulder some of the blame.

And let me reiterate my earlier post -- if I were a child predator, I would certainly be trolling suburban or rural areas between 7-9:00am and 2-4:00pm. Anyone who lets their child on the streets alone at those times is doing the equivalent of standing on a street corner holdup a "free" sign and offering booze to alcoholics.

36. rebekahELLE profile image85

If any of you are interested in signing Somer Thompson's guest book, here is the link.

http://www.legacy.com/gb2/default.aspx? … amp;page=2

37. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Pedophiles never change. Kids turn them on, just like an attractive woman turns a straight guy on. I've seen interviews with pedophiles who were in jail and did not want to be released because they knew they would strike again, and they didn't want to. It's an addiction. Some know it's wrong and want to stop, similar to some drug addicts. They cannot be rehabilitated. As soon as they're on the streets again, they'll be cruising for kids. I'n not referring to the ones who kill their victims - many times those do not actually have a sexual motive - it's more about violence and control. I'm talking more about the ones who lure kids into having sex with them and release them unharmed. And, of course, the child murderers are much, much worse! I'm sorry, I usually believe everyone deserves a second chance, but when it comes to pedophiles, I'm not so sure that they should ever be released to strike again. They will always have the disire for children.

38. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

The Somer incident happened about 10 miles from me, it is heart wrenching, and so prevalent in Florida.  I have my opinions as to why, but I will leave that for another day.

39. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

You're right, jib. It DOES happen a lot in FL!

40. profile image0

I have noticed that too, why do you think Jiberish?

1. jiberish profile image79
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Up until a few years ago, Florida had very lenient laws for Drivers License.  If someone lost their license, or it was flagged, you could come to Florida and get one without it being checked in other states.  There are other lenient laws, so that when a criminal runs from another state, they could end up in Florida under a fictitious name, etc.  There are doctors, who have been bared from certain states, then come here an begin a brand new practice.  These are just some of my opinions, I will have to check into it further, and for those who know me, you know I will find the answer.

1. profile image0

I did not know that, get back to us on this.

yes, this is true, also as crazy as it sounds, the weather draws people here as they can easily 'work' throughout the year and if homeless, the weather is bearable during the winter. sic, I know, but true.

1. profile image0

I think she is talking about badguys getting a new start in Florida, not a hard working person trying to better themselves!

that's exactly what I meant, you must have misinterpreted what I wrote.

sorry, should have made myself more clear. yes, there are plenty of amazing, hard working people who live here, and I love this place. cool  but it does draw in the deviants looking for new territory also.

41. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

These stories make me so sad. The problem with human justice is that it will always be flawed, innocent people will be found guilty, guilty people go free. In other topics people talk about why they do or do not believe in god. With monsters like this in the world I have to believe that there is a god and an ultimate justice for which there is no escape. With this I just try to be the best person I can and if someone tried anything with the kids at my school they would wind up with my crossing patrol stop sign so far up their ass it would be poking out their mouth!

42. jiberish profile image79
    jiberishposted 14 years ago

Somer's story will be on America's most wanted Saturday.  It seems that there are 161 sex offenders withing 5 miles of where she lived.  161?  Is this like a commune?

jiberish, I have one across the street, but I think is related to sex with a minor. we also have a neighborhood/community watch and parents watch out for other children. we live in a different world now, we all have to help however we can. thanks for letting us know about the show.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this is probably the best solution for the everyday person like us. Help our neighbors and friends where we can, watch out for all children and do not turn away from bad and deviant behavior but challenge it. We need to do more then just leave it to the police to watch out for kids, we should be watching out too.

43. profile image0

I'm having a hard time understanding the blame placed on the parents or the fact a door was left unlocked. These acts are committed by people who are driven to kill children and they don't really care how they get them. If a convicted child molester has to give up some or all of his rights I won't lose a seconds sleep over it!

I volunteer to be the hangman or bullet behind the ear man, I don't mind killing killers!

I'll fill in on your day off.

1. profile image0

Sounds good

2. Valerie F profile image61
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just so you know, even with today's forensic technology at our disposal, it not only is still possible to execute an innocent person, the state of Texas in fact just did it.

1. profile image0

Probably guilty of something

1. Valerie F profile image61

Well, we're not supposed to sentence people because they might be "guilty of something" but for crimes they actually did commit.

If you got a speeding ticket, you're "guilty of something."

1. profile image0

I'm not sure what case you are talking about, was it the Willingham case? If so that is not a recent case and no one is positive that he didn't do it!

1. Valerie F profile image61

Justice is not served by executing someone just because you're not positive he's innocent. Judges and juries have to be 100% positive of guilt. 2004 is still recent enough to be fresh on a lot of people's minds, and one wrongfully executed person is enough to convince me that our society and judicial system needs protection from the death penalty's most zealous supporters.

2. Misha profile image63

Not to derail a thread, but what exactly you are guilty of when you get a speeding ticket?

1. profile image0

Murder!

1. Misha profile image63

LOL She definitely makes it sound like that smile

1. profile image0

Actually that wasn't what she said at all. She was trying to get me to see that if you received a speeding ticket you were guilty of something but it doesn't rise to the level of a capital crime.

1. profile image50
                    badcompany77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it was obvious she meant you were guilty of speeding !

2. Misha profile image63

I should have misunderstood her then.

Still, your only "crime" when you receive a speeding ticket is that you exceeded arbitrary limit set by government for the purposes of getting extra revenue from you. Hardly any guilt on your side if you ask me. smile

44. caravalhophoto profile image60
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

What is hard for people to grasp is even with the "castoration" done, the offender will still offend.  It is sexual, however it is not the sex that drives this scum to do what they do.  It is "power", the power over an innocent, whether it be a child, young adult or senior citizen

My suggestion: Put them in an old shed, sit them down, nail their dick to a log, give them a dull knife and start the shed on fire.  If they are able to get out with 1/2 a dick...shoot them between the eyes.

I was a molested and neglected child...I kept my child safe because of the hatred I have for those people, I knew their tricks and I made sure my children where knowledgable.

1. profile image0

I like the way you think!

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Carvalho, if it's not too painful, perhaps you should write a hub about how to spot molesters and predators.  I think a lot of people would find that helpful.

45. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I don't think forensic evidence is as available as they lead you to believe on TV. I recently heard a police officer say that they pick up viable fingerprints in about 15% of cases. That's not much.

Agreed, but there is so much more to forensics than "fingerprints", what about semen, skin samples, hair samples, saliva, blood types etc etc?

Sadly, the body of the second little girl taken this week, Elizabeth Olten, 9 years old was found.

As I understand it a "person of interest" is in custody.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)