Anyone into writing sitcoms

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. CrystalSingleton profile image60
    CrystalSingletonposted 16 years ago

I love the entertainment industry for so many reasons. I love watching a good show and enjoy writing specs for tv and film. Anyone else out there ..... hello...hello.. . .

Most people who are also into writing are about getting their own novel or book published. Although I enjoy that too I like tv and film a lot more. Now of course is not a good time with the strike and all but . . . how do you pitch a script or sitcom idea. I don't want an agent. I live in Orange County and I am not that far from Hollywood. I need no special arrangements aside from the right introduction. I am not flying in from like Ohio with some whimsical idea in my head.

Any advice. . . . . from one passionate writer to another. This is my passion and my dream. I know some people may think dreams like that never come true, but I was once told "the only people that don't reach their dreams are the ones who never follow them."

2. Blaine561 profile image60
    Blaine561posted 16 years ago

Love the quote and please live for your passion, never give up.  I starting writing movie scripts over a dozen years ago, but it wasn't until a friend of mine, of thirty plus years, John Santo, said to me about three years ago, "If you want to be a screenwriter, then just do it, just sit yourself down and start writing."  I've always had a passion to be a writer, loved movies and tv since I was a kid, but still I hemmed and hawed for a couple more months.  Then reflecting on what John had said, I decided to just sit down and start writing, just let it flow.  A copy my Movie Magic, a good supply of munchies, and three weeks later I had 60 pages of what would become "Power Over Others", my screenplay.  Yes, it flowed and flowed, and after several edits I arrived with a sensational film script of 114 pages. Now I'm out to promote it and am creating a website at <snip> for screenwriters, amounst other things, to converse with other writers, share contact in the industry, it's a numbers game as in any industry.  I love it if you'd find the time to read it, tell me what you think?  One day the RIGHT Person will read your movie or TV script and as you would emulate, become the next Susan Harris?  My favorite sitcom, Soap, her first.  I did a thesis is college on the show, got 99% on the course.  Love to get together to chat, I love doing dialogue, got to make people laugh lol

Live for your passion, never give up, one day you'll be the Star!

Blaine561

P.S. My father told me years ago, enjoy each and every day, that's all you have today.

3. CrystalSingleton profile image60
    CrystalSingletonposted 16 years ago

I couldn't agree more. I get a response from people when I share my "ideal career" with them. It's either like, "wow maybe you should find a more realistic goal" Or "that's a pretty hard industry to break in to." However I refuse to get down about any comments against a writer's career. Anyone who's ever read my work has said "This is actually really good". I have been writing since about age nine. I started out writing like POP songs for Kiss FM(none published of course) That was back in my Whitney Houston and Tiffany days. I later took interest in advice and stand up comedy. I enrolled in advertising and designs I thought writing commercials, How fun. Then I realized I wanted even more. The dialog process for me is not only healing to myself because you get to become whoever you want, it is also great for the people who will one day watch it. Worldwide peoples obsession with television and movies come from that drive to escape from their own reality for while and just enjoy someone else's. Being able to do that is my passion. Telling stories either fiction or non-fiction is a gift that people need and anyone who has that gift I encourage you take take hold of your passion and follow it. I'll wrap this up with the same quote I used before. "the only people that don't reach their dreams are the ones who never follow them."

4. profile image0
    treseroposted 16 years ago

I don't write screenplays or sitcoms, but I do write textbooks, articles and other books. I have found the best thing is to write for 15 - 30 minutes every day, same place, same time and don't write more (unless it is your full-time job of course). It is amazing how far you will get.

I also am part of a writers group which meets every week and we spend 1 hour proofing and editing each others papers (only 4 in a group, so there is time). It is embarrassing to show up and not have any new work wink

5. sim71 profile image61
    sim71posted 16 years ago

Hey,

I´ve started writing a script for a kind of drama/detective series based in a UK village. My problem is that I also have a full time job and have other writing commitments on the internet.

Here in the UK the BBC have a department especially to receive scripts by new authors. The UK is unique in having a license fee payed by everyone who has a TV, this fee funds the BBC so they can develop new programmes etc without having to rely on commercials. I hope to maybe submit to them when i finish one episode.

6. caspar profile image60
    casparposted 16 years ago

Good luck with your script Sim71.  The BBC's new writer support seems excellent. I love detective dramas...I can't get enough Midsomer Murders.  I've been reduced to watching old Wycliffes on ITV3 lately.

7. shangrila profile image40
    shangrilaposted 16 years ago

with so many writers arnd here - couldnt we start serial stories here of different genres- detective, romance....it will pull more visitors to the site too...i am not confident enough around the site to start one...but if anyone does , i am game!

8. dutch84 profile image61
    dutch84posted 15 years ago

I like to write sitcoms. I actually wrote one for my school. I tried to start a TV network on campus, but I pretty much ended up doing all the work. I wrote the scripts, I did the ads and I filled out all the paperwork. Unfortunately, the lack of co-operation in my club led to the failure of the project. So, now I'm just trying to sell copies of the scripts at www.lulu.com/dutch84. Maybe one day I'll get a second chance to do this thing and do it right...who knows.

Sorry, I don't have any tips on who to get someone to look at your script...ask someone who lives in Hollywood.

9. dutch84 profile image61
    dutch84posted 15 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)