Quiet time to write?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (56 posts)
  1. tiginban profile image60
    tiginbanposted 14 years ago

Where/how do you find quiet time to write?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bookstore, at the window, with a coffee. take notes, watch people, write, brain storm ideas. spend a quiet morning.

Jon

2. Specialk3749 profile image59
      Specialk3749posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I carry a notebook of paper with me and when I get a few minutes, I can write.  I would love to have a room that was mine to be able to go to and read/write...maybe someday!

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Another helpful tool......micro-casette or digital recorder, to have handy, so you can simply speak into it and save it.

1. Deborah-Lynn profile image61
          Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are so right, I need to get back to that, it does work, I don't know how I got away from it.............

2. R.Edwards profile image63
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

local library, although I do wish there were more computers. I wait until my roomates are not there and take all day on the computer, incredibly slow but with patience it gets done.

3. Blake Flannery profile image92
    Blake Flanneryposted 14 years ago

I like it loud, with music in my ears when I write.
    buy some in ear monitors and have it loud or quiet.  Earplugs  work for quiet.

4. profile image0
    BookFlameposted 14 years ago

I've been at it for over 25 years and I have learned there are always distractions and interruptions, and that quiet and solitude can be absolutely unnerving and disquieting, if the writing isn't going well.  The only way I can write more or less consistently is to pretend I'm a receiver on a football team, catch (or recover) the ball of an idea, (which seems to come out of nowhere), and go as fast and as far as I can before something tackles me and I'm down.  But my feeling is, at least I made a few yards.  It's like that everyday. If you wait for "perfect writing conditions," you'll never write anything.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I love it!big_smile

2. profile image49
      krwestposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bookflame, your imagery about catching the football and running with it is great!  Thanks for sharing your perspective!

5. EWealthGuide profile image61
    EWealthGuideposted 14 years ago

I tell everyone in the house to turn the TV down, talk on the phone quiet, and don't interrupt me! then I lock myself in my office, and don't come out until I've accomplished what I wanted to do!

6. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

there is no such thing as quiet time in my house. If I can I put on my headphones, if not i just try to drown out the noise lol

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

my home is very quiet during the day and some evenings, or I go outside so I can hear nature, feel the air. sometimes I take my notebook to a park near the water.

8. pioneer_writer5 profile image57
    pioneer_writer5posted 14 years ago

I usually wait until sometime that I either have the house to my self or everyone is in bed. But sometimes music becomes a muse for me as well as there are times in the day when I have to grab a pen because a thought comes to me.

smile

9. tiginban profile image60

What wonderful responses. Really gets you thinking how different we all are. My own quiet time is generally at the weekend, having spent some time outdoors.

10. profile image0
    LEWJposted 14 years ago

Quiet time?      What the hell is that?

roll  roll   roll

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
      Dame Scribeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol so true. Have teenagers running amok here. I jus shut the door with my *Do not Disturb, Brainwork in Progess* sign on the door knob big_smile

11. cally2 profile image60
    cally2posted 14 years ago

My family hate mornings. I love the dawn. Get up early and procrastinate before everyone else gets up. Then when life comes banging through the doors write your best stuff.

12. Deborah-Lynn profile image61
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

I get up before everyone, or I wait until they are all in bed,  then I take my tea pot out to the patio, sit on the bench swing and rock while I read Hubs or write,  the last two days I have dragged out my fur comforter and wrapped it around me, still out in the fresh air.  The birdsongs sometimes lulled me to sleep even if I just woke up, maybe it's too quiet???

13. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 14 years ago

My life is one long, never ending quiet time.

I live alone, I work entirely online from home, I don't know anybody for miles so nobody interrupts. 

I chose a place in a quiet area too.  I love the quiet.

14. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I try to get up before everyone else does, and take advantage of the time when I'm alone (rare!).

I'm not making a dime, so often times I get discouraged and forget about writing hubs or articles and write my poems or journal.

15. tiginban profile image60

big_smile Oh, and I like to write on the train too.

16. hoodieweather profile image61
    hoodieweatherposted 14 years ago

Actually, I think I get 60% of my writing done in my car while in a parking. Go figure.

smile

I love that Hoodieweather, it is wise use of otherwise wasted time,  and being in line or waiting times really add up in our lifetime!

17. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

early morning...once everyone is out of the house..and I can switch off my 'real' life for a while...and be alone with my thoughts...heaven!

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are that stressed out that you have to differentiate between "real" and "heaven", in the aspect that you referred to....would make one thing that you are very troubled by your situation?

I severely hope that isn't the case.

Cagsil,  take a quik moment and go to myownworld's hubs, you will be tremendously touched...I promise!

1. myownworld profile image73
          myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

u're a darling deborah! smile

Just speaking the truth, MOW, knowing Cagsil, I believe he will find your work truly penitrating and thought provoking...he needs people who have deep thoughts around him....wink

2. profile image0
          bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that.  She is an amazing writer that will bring you places that you never knew existed...

18. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The amount of time you spend waiting in line is actually the best place to get creative, so you can keep your mind active and ready for when you get home and in front of your computer, so you can write more hubs.

Any down time, not spent on hubs, can be productive, because as humans have yet to realize......on average, we don't pay close enough attention to routine tasks, which allows our minds to wonder(yes that can be dangerous, but it is an all-too-common-occurance).

Always keep your mind's focus on your future. If you do not, then you'll stumble and everything else will fall apart.

19. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I do my best writing after everyone has gone to bed, and I am left alone with my thoughts and a glass or Captain's Private Stock by my side.

lol..ah...so now I know when to catch u at your best!

(and thanks for your concern Cagsil, but my situation is quite to the contrary... it was a metaphoric way of speaking..cheers! smile

1. profile image0

I'm always at my best when you're around.  You bring it out of me...

a charmer, my blood! how about we wait for everyone to go to bed first? wink

1. profile image0

You certainly are a naughty one aren't you?

well, I've never pretended otherwise my angel!!! wink

2. Deborah-Lynn profile image61

Hey, that's my favorite too, Captain Morgan is a special reward for my special times - not too often......sadly!lol

1. profile image0

I'm with you on that....

20. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

It's pretty quiet in my house at 4 am.

21. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

On a personal note:

I always go to bed, my mind thinks up so many different things and I have trouble getting to sleep.

So many ideas flood my mind, as I lay down and at times, I get up and write down whatever comes to mind....just a basis for writing...not everything in my mind.

Just enough I can lay back down and sleep.

Sometimes, I use other(tools), per se, to sleep.

22. myownworld profile image73

oh deborah....thanks darling...but I think we scared off the poor guy!! hey, Cagsil, come back and chill with us....smile

1. profile image0

I think he was scared off by deb saying that he would find your work penitrating!  That would scare me!

OH blood, are you "scared a me"?  I don't think penetrating was quite my intended conotation, silly boy!smile

Anyway, want a bet he'll be back?

((((deb, blood has a devlishly dirty mind...don't let those eyes fool u))))

no no, he's off reading, he will return with lots' to say, I'll bet...have more confidence...lol;)

23. myownworld profile image73

laughing...u two are quite something my friends! (deb and blood)
    my writing doesn't go with my pic actually.... it's the same in real life....amazing how people assess u by your appearance...and can never know what thoughts go on in your mind!

1. profile image0

I'm the same way!  My picture hardly represents all of the thoughts of puppy dogs and ice cream dancing in my mind.

adds to your charm honey! it's like getting past those bloody eyes only to find thoughts of icecream within! such a relief i must say...

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

24. Deborah-Lynn profile image61
    Deborah-Lynnposted 14 years ago

Yes, blood, your the one who ran away last time I brought up strawberry ice cream  lol, let's not go there...lol

1. profile image0

I couldn't help myself!

You were afraid to cross the line?  This is about quiet time and writing, does the time you spend in here help you write more?

25. caravalhophoto profile image59
    caravalhophotoposted 14 years ago

It is hard these days to get the quiet time and mental time I need to write, since spending some time in my daughters home with the kids.  I find I take every quiet moment I have just to jot down the jumbeled mass of confused and cluttered thoughts begging to be let out.
    I love complete quiet, sitting in front of my window that looks out into the garden, cup of coffee and probably still in my jammies.  Fall/Winter is my favorite time because I most likely will not have gone on a hike yet.  Summer time hikes I have to be out the door by 6am to not be bothered with the heat so I don't get the same routine.
    My hikes are another of my favorite writing times.  I take a hand held tape recorder and talk to myself, it is a very relaxing time and by myself I am able to say anything and remember it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)