Use horizontal instead of vertical ads

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Terri Paajanenposted 16 years ago

I think that when a google ad is inserted between two text capsules, it really should be a horizontal, banner style ad not a vertical ad. You can see what I mean here:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Alarm-Clocks-to … out-of-Bed

It creates a really big gap between capsule 1 and 2, with a bit odd bit of white space. A vertical ad, like shown at the bottom of the page would work much better.

Is this a random choice or is it deliberate?

Note: I see that the ads change position when the page reloads, so my example may or may not make any sense....

2. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 16 years ago

I know what you're saying.

The ones which aren't an actual skyscraper ad size are still very aesthetically UNpleasing to the eye.

3. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

I hate that blank white space.  Sometimes, I wonder how many people don't end up reading the rest of my hub because of that space.

1. Isabella Snow profile image86
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If you hate it you could always just put your hub into one text box..

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
        Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I've actually been experimenting with ways to avoid it lately, and I think I found a couple of solutions that don't involved only using one text box.  Practice makes perfect!

Now I need to go update older hubs.

4. ramesh profile image60
    rameshposted 16 years ago

yeah i too have the same opinion ,it would be better if the vertical ads in the middle of two capsules are replaced by horizontal ones like the banner ads at the top and bottom of every hub...

5. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Also it seems to me that the Google ads top & bottom and in the sidebar are targeted, but the vertical ad they stick in the middle of the content is unrelated.

They are not quite as bad as the ebay dog food columns we were getting previously, but I do think they are calculated to interrupt the reader.

Yes I know that's the whole point, but...

6. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Hmm I know what you are saying but I am not seeing it in the current version of the alarm clocks hub?  Also how do you get the photos on the right and the text wrapping around - I havent managed that on hubpages yet!

1. profile image0
      Terri Paajanenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ya the ads change so you're not always going to see the same thing, making my example a bit useless  smile

To move a photo capsule to the right like that, just use the arrows to shift it to the right (beside the arrows that move it up and down). Once a capsule is set to the right, you can move it up and down and it will automatically shift into position next to another capsule. You can put photos in that way, or book capsules.

7. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Thanks Terri - I'll try that on the next one!

8. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 16 years ago

It can also take Google a couple of days to improve the matching of their ads to content.

9. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

Whats the point of having more than 1 box if you dont want ads inbetween them?

Serious question.

1. profile image0
      Terri Paajanenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I prefer to have an extra ad tucked in the middle, but a vertical ad makes no sense. A horizontal banner ad will fit much better with the text and not ruin the flow of the article. I'm not asking that the ads be removed, just reformatted.

10. Isabella Snow profile image86
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

Ok... but that wasn't my question. smile

Im asking Stacie why she doesnt just put all of her text into one box if she doesnt want the ads inbetween the boxes - since they always show the white space.

11. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I don't know about your question to stacie, but I do agree that a horizontal banner would be more appealing. I'm not a big fan of the huge white gap that it leaves between capsules. Or maybe if we could wrap text around the google vertical box that is currently there.

I will say that I like multiple capsules, so that the different sections can be classified titled. Even though, I guess you could just use bold font to do the same. But, also, using multiple capsules makes formating the page nicer, in the sense that you can place pictures, ebay or amazon, and other capsules capsules with the appropriate section, versus all in a vertical column, the top, or the bottom.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)