Unbelievable!

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (36 posts)
  1. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

My oldest daughter (the one who recently had twins) bought a new used car about a month ago from a "reputable" car dealer in town. She put several thousand dollars down and financed the rest through a bank. Her first car payment is due in a week and a half.

Well, she called me pretty hysterical this afternoon as there were some men in a tow truck out in front of her house repossessing her car! Evidently the dealer had financed his inventory and skipped out on the bank, so they had a whole list of cars and are going around town repossessing them! Unbelievable! (And, according to my attorney, illegal.)

She called her hubby who raced over to the car dealer only to find the place empty and locks on the doors. He then went to the police to report it, but the guys in the tow truck wouldn't give my daughter any information and had no lettering on the truck.

Anybody else ever hear of anything like this? Any advice?

1. profile image56
      C.J. Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope you know which bank ordered the repossession.  Thats really all you need to know. Definitely need a lawyer here.  I would probably report this to my States Attorney General.

lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How do you find out what bank it is? I would be totally surprised if it were a legitimate financial institution as I don't know any who are who would do this.

1. profile image56

Take the VIN number off your insurance papers and call the DMV.
          Find out who has the lean on the title.  Move fast on this...

Thanks CJ. DMV is closed here now. I will have her call first thing in the AM.

2. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry, you just can't seem to catch a break lately.  We'll keep you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

OMG Irohner! I am so sorry. I have never heard of this before but I am not too surpirsed at what dumbasses these days will do to rip people off. I hope everything gets sorted out right. *HUGS*

My advice: breath!

3. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

Man, irohner, no.  I never heard this.  It's outrageous.  Your daughter didn't default on any debt.  I'm not surprised the reposession was illegal.  The only thing I can think to do is to find out where the car is, making sure you got the name of the towing co. from off the side of the truck, and call the Sheriff's Office.  I think they might be able to get the car back, with a little help from a judge.

4. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I hope someone got the plate number of the tow truck.

Other than that, damn, I don't know what to say. What a mess!

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

It sure is a mess! Her hubby is still at the police station. Evidently, when a car is repossessed, they repossessor notifies the police so they know the car is not stolen. This outfit did not notify them. There were no markings on the tow truck, and my daughter said she didn't get the license number of the truck because she was focused on getting the baby carseats out of the back. The guys didn't want to let her get her stuff!

The police are totally confused and are doing what they can to track down the car, but have told my daughter to get on the phone ASAP and report the car as stolen to the insurance.

And her bday is tomorrow. Happy birthday, huh?

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

that is sad, I hope with the help of police, she can do something, as of the moment, she just wait and see after reporting it to insurance, does insurance company divulge some information to police like if there are also customers on their list with the same dealer? then they can trace if something happened before involving the same dealer?

happy bday to your daughter...

7. Health Tips Woman profile image61
    Health Tips Womanposted 14 years ago

That is aweful! What a low-down thing for someone to do. I hate that this has happened to your daughter.

Thanks. And you are getting awfully hard to keep track of, you know! smile

1. Health Tips Woman profile image61
        Health Tips Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh no. I am not BC. I am Cuddy!

Uh huh. Sure you are. smile

8. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Well I'm from Texas and if she was from here it would be time to get the gun! Here you can use deadly force to protect your property.

9. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

So sorry this happened to your daughter. Unfortunately, banks can use repo companies of their choosing and they don't have to have identifying marks on the truck. They do however have to let the police know they are doing this just in case someone does get nasty about it and violence errupts.

10. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

OMG! Thats terrible! I don't know what to suggest and I have not heard anything like it before but I do hope you manage to sort it out.

11. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

This is definitely an illegal repo, regardless of what the dealer may have done, if the car was sold and the finance company took possession which they do when granting a loan, then the car can not be taken unless by loan default, even then you have to be contacted before the actual repossession. I hate to say it, but sounds like someone has come up with a new scam, and stole your car. You need to report it as such and notify your lender and the police as such.

Thanks, Scott. Done, done, and done. I'm with you -- I don't think this is a misinformed repo. I think it's a scam. Plain and simple.

2. The Rope profile image60
      The Ropeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Scott was spot on and exactly what I was going to write.  Glad to hear you took his advice.  Let us all know what happens - this is not a new trick, it used to be quite "the thing" up in the NY area years ago then scooted out to CA, haven't heard of it happening in years though.  Looks like someone revived it.

12. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

Did she call the finance company? I mean, if they paid for the car and made her the loan, they have an interest in it at the very least. Usually they would be the ones initiating a repo, but in this case that makes no sense.

It does kind of sound like a new way to steal cars--kind of like the 'moving vans' that back up to houses and steal all the furniture and so forth.

Hey, PG. She financed it through her own bank and they have no knowledge of what's going on. This is just the craziest thing I've ever heard of!

13. fortunerep profile image67
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

I hope it wasn't for NC, we just had a dealership where the owner was selling cars, keeping the cash and financing it and keeping the money, twice.  Never paid so the cars were repossessed.   He did this to about 38 people, he ran and they finally caught him, he is in so much trouble.  11 people had their car repo'd and had paid cash for it.  Hope you get it all straightened out.

dori

Thanks Dori. No. It was Connecticut and was definitely illegal. Police are trying (or so they say) to find the car as we speak.

14. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 14 years ago

There is a wrinkle that could exist in this situation. Would if the car lot had not actually secured the financing yet... If thats the case the lender to the car lot may have a legitimate claim against the car. You see in this case the contract your daughter entered into with the car lot had not been fully executed....Depending on you states laws, this could be BAD!

In any case, I would definitely file a police report for auto theft.  That is if you can prove that its not a valid repossession. Sounds like it isn't....

The police are investigating it as a stolen car. I understand what you mean about whether the dealer received the money from my daughter's bank or not. (And I would assume he had as it's been a month or so...)

Be that as it may, my attorney said it's called BFP -- Bona Fide Purchaser Without Knowledge. (Learn something new every day!) The minute she gave them the deposit and received a legitimate Bill of Sale, the car became hers and nothing can supercede that short of her not paying her own lender.

1. profile image56

Well thats a good thing!  I would definitely stay on top ot it. A police report is fine, but I would find out as much as I could regarding how all this happened.  I would definitely report this to the Attorney Generals office of your state.

15. Helen Cater profile image62
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

This sounds like theft. If she paid the deposit and signed the agreement the insurance would kick in. Inconvenient but she is well covered. it's outrageous and annoying for you all. I do hope she has a great birtday.

16. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I agree. Your daughter was robbed Irohner and she should sue the repo guys, they had no right to that car. They should have only dealt with the car dealer.

17. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

From past experience...of having worked where we financed car repairs...I would make a strong guess that the vehicle is at the impound yard of the repo people that the bank financer uses. The bank financer probably got scared. There is no justification for what they did...but depending on what state you live in...there are many laws put in place to protect buying/selling/trading of automobiles. (It is mainly because most laws were re-written into the books by just swapping out "horses" and putting "automobile" in its place. And..."horse" sales laws and trading were very, very strict back in the day. Still, no justification for what they did...but there is a slight possibility that the police may not be able to do anything about it...just saying...as a possibility...if somehow there were a clause protecting the financer of the vehicle...in case of a "broken contract".) I would place a huge bet on the fact that finance company knows exactly where the car is...may renegotiate the contract of your daughter...and that they probably are using some excuse as some type of "broken contract"  arrangement as the reason for what has happened (Even though...she had no control over that). Just a guess though...it could have just been crooks...also! The person she bought the car from sure was one...for sure! I would hound the finance company and deff report the car as stolen to the insurance company...maybe they will get down to the bottom of it? (I wouldn't be surprised if she gets a certified letter in the mail from some impound yard in 10 days either...saying that they have the car) I hope it works out...the problem is also...it might go against her credit too as a repo even with the finance problem not being her own. It always seems like the odds are not stacked in the favor of the consumer...it seems we always get the short end of the stick...

18. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 14 years ago

Not sure this is helpful, but "Down Under" we have a thing called an Encumbered Vehicle Register. If any vehicle has any finance on it, it can be found and banks/financiers will let you know to stay away from it.
    Maybe you should lobby the govt. there to do likewise. hmm

19. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Something doesn't sound right! She must have had a title in her name with the lien holder on it. I know it's too late to say it but she shouldn't have let them take it. She should have called the cops!

20. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Good luck Lisa! Sure thing it's a robbery. And happy b-day to your daughter smile

Let her take it as a b-day present. You never know what is good and what is bad. Think about it, could it be that if she drove this car today, she would have been into a serious accident? wink

21. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

pgrundy makes a good point.  Your daughter and the finance company own the car together.  They have an interest (and presumably the money) to put a fight on your behalf.  Just make sure you fill out the police reports so you give them all the information they need.

They most likely have insurance policies on this type of thing and the insurance company is really the one who will do the fighting. Either way, somebody will be raising a stink that will have the resources (high priced annoying attorneys like me) to demand results.

22. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Just when you thought you had heard it all ... Definitely pursue this to the hilt!

As your daughter never defaulted on her payments that car is definitely still hers and the loan defaults to whoever the car dealership defaulted to. As such, she will still need to make payments (I'm assuming the car isn't paid off yet) and the terms of her loan can not be modified by any means.

I would also seek damages for the towing fees, any time lost from work resolving this, and a rental car (if a car was rented to get by), as well as any legal fees.

Bite 'em in the ankles! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)