Are You a good person?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (75 posts)
  1. gonzo62003 profile image60
    gonzo62003posted 14 years ago

It seems like everybody now days says there a good person, are you too?

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am trying, I want to be

2. Pr0metheus profile image57
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do people favors, even when I won't get anything back for them.  I give bums money, even though I know they're just going to buy booze.  I let people pull in in front of me when the last 5 cars ahead of me haven't.  I thank people where it's deserved.  I'm nice to most people (unless they're really asking for it), and I try to help other people out wherever possible.  Eventually I'd like to start my own Non-Profit Organization...

I am human though, so I do sometimes argue, fight and other things.

I try to be as good as I can be - not only does it help other people, it makes me feel good!

Yes, I think I'm a good person.

Peace, Love, Unity and Respect!  (PLUR)

3. profile image53
      George Aidooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean by the word "good"? Is there an absolute goodness, and if so who determines this? If not why not,since without goodness all will be in chaos?. so what is goodness?

4. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

To answer, I try to be good but am a biblical sinner as everyone else. I was born an animal, but I try to be a good human.

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was born a bad human, and now I turned to be a very good animal ! big_smile

1. marinealways24 profile image59

lol Touche again

5. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seems to be the new buzzword these days. I'm not real sure if I'm a good person or not, but my intentions do mean well.  Though, they may do more harm than good.

I know I'm compatible of lying.  I know I'm compatible of murder.  I know I'm compatible of cheating.  I know I'm compatible of fighting.  I know I have a compatible, lashing tongue.  I know I forget to be nice to people.  I know I forget to treat people with respect, and I know that sometimes that my self projected rudeness towards someone, was a selfish powering attempt. 

Personally understanding and knowing all these aspects about myself, I don't really know what it means to be good or not.  'Cause I've been told I'm a good person.

6. carolegalassi profile image61
      carolegalassiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nobody is good including myself.  We are all sinners and if you sin,you cannot be good. Doing a good deed is more then an action, are you good spiritually, whats the condition of your heart?  Have your ever lied, steal anything, have bad thoughts etc, etc.  As human beings we are very far from being good.  There was only one person that is good, Jesus Christ.

gonzo62003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes my friend I agree totally there is only one perfect one and that is why He is called good. Other than that we only have attributes of the only good one that has ever been..."Smiles and have a grr8 day!"

7. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think so. At least I try to be... but no one is all good all the time. Goodness wouldn't even exist unless there was bad. The best one can hop for is a net goodness and that too is subjective.

8. dohn121 profile image81
      dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm Ask me tomorrow...big_smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lolol, am always good, i need to be bad soon...

1. dohn121 profile image81
          dohn121posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"I'd rather cry with the Sinners than laugh with the Saints..."

-Billy Joel

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

come and join me in laughter tomorrow then..

9. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

define good more clearly please....

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey justine,

A good person is a person who doesn't harm society in any way, shape or form.

lol

So, I guess that leaves out ALL of humanity, because each of is flawed in some way, shape or form and at some point in our lives, we are going to make mistakes that harms someone in some way, shape or form.

I hope that made sense. lol

10. lawretta profile image62
      lawrettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am a very good person.

11. tantrum profile image61

Who can say he/she's a good person ?
      All we can say is that we're good at doing some things,  and bad at anothers.

12. guidebaba profile image57
      guidebabaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I guess I am. This is what most people say about me.

Has it ever occurred to you that they might be just being nice?

lol  lol

just kidding, don't take offense.

2. tantrum profile image61

Maybe they were trying to get the guide for free. That one on your avatar . lol

2. perfumer profile image63
    perfumerposted 14 years ago

Am I good?
    It depends on your definition of what is GOOD...

3. JulietduPreez profile image69
    JulietduPreezposted 14 years ago

what makes you a good person?

1. creativeone59 profile image69
      creativeone59posted 14 years agoin reply to this

My God given ability to love, respect and care about others.  To always treat others the way I wished to be treated.I have love and compassionate in my heart for others. all of Godly traits make me a good person. creativeone59

4. twalker74 profile image75
    twalker74posted 14 years ago

I tried being good for once. I tried giving money to the homeless, but found that they were not grateful and I resented the fact that I was not acknowledged for it. I did everything I could to make my girlfriend happy and realized it was only because that I felt validated when what I did made her happy. I tried just making myself happy and realized I was the only one that was... So being good is the most selfish act a person can do, right?

Though I am only partly joking, I am too caught up in the "why" for every action I partake in. People are taught that to be good is to be selfless, but every selfless act I attempt only leads to the realization that it's execution made myself feel better--hardly selfless.

Always great thoughts and thinking. In the act of making yourself and others feel better, it spreads onto others. Which energy is better, a depressed persons energy or a person excited with life? Which will motivate someone to live life, words of depression or words of happiness? In short, I see nothing selfish of being selfish when selfish acts make others happy. The ones it made happy will spread the energy to others as you have. The same with negative energy. Both are continuous.

2. sannyasinman profile image59
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree that there is no such thing as altruism. Everything we do is either to feel good, or avoid feeling bad. The most "good" person I know, who spends all his time helping others, is at the same time the most selfish person I know. He only does what makes him feel good.

5. Helen Cater profile image61
    Helen Caterposted 14 years ago

When I say I am a good person, what I mean is...
    1 I pay my taxes.
    2 I am willing to help others within reason.
    3 I work hard and provide for my family
    4 I try to stay within the law.
    5 I try to see good in everyone. (A more difficult one for me)
    6 I try to raise my children to respect others and work hard for the good things in life.
    7 To know that sometimes I am wrong.

6. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I'm good at making foolish people feel bad big_smile

7. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

I'd like to think I'm a good person.  I would do just about anything for the people I love and care about!

8. profile image0
    sarah dawkinsposted 14 years ago

It can be difficult to define the term "good person" as is it very subjective.  As has been said within this thread, that staying within the law and paying taxes defines them as being good.  However, others have said that they give to those less fortunate, which is also considered "good". 

There is a "are you a good person" on-line test, but having done it, it is very religious and states which of the 10 commandments you break/pass.  Not being religious, doesn't mean I can't be good.  Another way to look at it is through the qualities of a good person, ie. kindness, helpful, caring, understanding, patient and loving.  I think we all can have tendencies for all of these qualities, but can vary on a daily basis.

In the main I would say that I was a good person but, as with all humans, I can have a tendency to be selfish and unhelpful on occasions, which in itself might preclude me from being good.

9. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol lol Why people are so serious about this topic yikes big_smile lol

You be good! lol

2. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi i was away for so long. But i think nobody missed me huhu lols

Hi beautyrose !. I though you were around with another name big_smile

3. perfumer profile image63
      perfumerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because this is important to all of us if we want to love ourselves fully.

Oh!
        1 more seriousness ! I love myself. big_smile

10. beth811 profile image77
    beth811posted 14 years ago

Are you? roll

11. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I do my best to be a good person. My parents have raised me to be one...but sometimes I do allow my b!tch side to berak free because those ppl deserve to see my b!tchy side.

12. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Laws control the lesser man... right conduct controls the greater one. I think if one has right conduct one is good. But who am I but a man just above a monkey and lesser than an angel.

13. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

Good is in the eye of the beholder.  Radical clerics are the ultimate good to their followers.  Catholic officials believed they were good and doing God's work when they burned people a the stake for saying there were other solar systems in the universe.
    I'll let my family, friends, and the people I deal with determine my value in this world.  What I will call myself is a fair person and I think that is vastly more important.

14. underhiswings profile image61
    underhiswingsposted 14 years ago

Someone once said:

"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will be given what you ask for. Keep on looking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened.
    For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And the door is opened to everyone who knocks.
    You fathers, if your children ask for a fish, do you give them a snake instead?
    Or if they ask for an egg, do you give them a scorpion? Of course not!
    If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him."

So for me, I like to think that I am sinful and yet capable of doing good to them that ask of me. big_smile

15. hinckles koma profile image61
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Iam not good or bad, iam human. love all peace.

16. My Friend Shiyloh profile image60
    My Friend Shiylohposted 14 years ago

If one does everything out of an attitude of love I would say that is a great place to start.

Everything you would do would be good I would say. smile

17. perfumer profile image63
    perfumerposted 14 years ago

several years ago, there was a Korean old man at my work who used to say good and bad - same same...

18. spuds profile image60
    spudsposted 14 years ago

You need to ask....Off course I am!

19. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Not according to Christian rules. But I am a very good person.

Yes I think you are right in your thinking "you are a very good person" but does that make us good if we are...?  I guess it does if your a humanist...either way "have a super day..!"

2. perfumer profile image63
      perfumerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even Christ said don't call me Good, only GOD is good...

20. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Honestly I believe I am good but I also have the devil in me if you peeve me off! big_smile

That my friend is I am sure pretty close to the truth sometimes...(smiles) Have a grr8 day.  And by all means don't get mad at me...Ha Ha

21. mobilephone guide profile image61
    mobilephone guideposted 14 years ago

i don't think so and don't expect me to be good.

All we can do is try my friend...Anything else is not who we are...Have a grr8 day and thanks for being you.

22. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Has Santa determined who is good and who is bad yet?

23. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Nope. I'm horrible personified. Always have been.

Entirely natural mad

24. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

The only absolute is that there are none...All of us has a bit of both and some of us have more than the other and vice-versa.  All of us are capable of loving and hating.  Our actions are what define in the end.  Our intent is what drives us to act.

25. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

not a goody goody, but not a baddy baddy either, if you get my meaning

26. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

I do what I can to be glorious!

27. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

No,
    I'm a bit of a cock to be honest.

I am trying to improve though (y)

28. UPStar profile image61
    UPStarposted 14 years ago

Jesus Himself said "No one is good but God alone." We do good things, but many times it is for selfish reasons. God alone loves the sinner, and His love keeps reaching, reaching, reaching even when it is not reciprocated.
    I am good to the extent I allow Gods love to work through me.
    otherwise, I am just another sinner in need of a savior.

29. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

It's not a surprise that everyone says they're a good person. Who wants to tell everybody that they're a machete-wielding face-mask wearing stalker?

Interesting comparison, I applaud your creativity.

lol

1. Friendlyword profile image59
        Friendlywordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Me too! I'm a very very good person...till provoked. Then I'm a very very bad person. Never resorted to violence though.  That's the machete-wielding face-mask crowd. My word is my sword.

30. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

If you're good then I'm good.

Well ,I'm not.
      So, are you going to be bad ?

I need more information? lol

When?

Where?

How long?

lol

If you want to join, it depends on you big_smile

lol  lol

2. Cagsil profile image71

Would love to, but have to decline.

Stomach says time to eat.

lol

Yoi're always declining... Maybe that's your inclination ? yikes hmm  lol

If you're thinking I don't like women or might be 'gay', please don't.

I love women- I consider them the most amazing part of humans.

The men, most are a waste. lol

2. mayhmong profile image75
        mayhmongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tehehe, that depends.

31. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

I try. Will I ever be as good as I can or should be? Don't know. Probably not, but that's no excuse.

All I can say is that one difference I've noticed between people who think they're good and people who really are is that the latter are more likely to keep their opinions of themselves to themselves.

32. profile image0
    patriciarose7posted 14 years ago

I think the only way you can call yourself a good person is when your actions tell the story.

After all these are only words that we speak but when we walk our talk then the results speak for themselves.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)